PDA

View Full Version : Chinese dog eaters and dog lovers spar over animal rights

BAMAPHIN 22
05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/112279756-1.jpg (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/saving-chinas-dogs/2011/05/18/AGFrxVDH_gallery.html)

The mutts were destined for the dinner table — all 520 of them crammed onto a truck hurtling down a Beijing highway toward awaiting restaurants in northeastern China.

Then, fate intervened in the form of a passing driver, an animal lover who spotted the truck and angrily forced it off the road.

From there, things began spiraling out of control. News of the confrontation hit the Chinese blogosphere, sending more than 200 animal activists flocking immediately to the highway. Traffic on the road slowed to a standstill. Dozens of police officers were called in. Animal activists, however, kept arriving with reinforcements, carrying water, dog food, even trained veterinarians for a siege that lasted 15 hours.

Weeks later, those who were there still talk in disbelief at how quickly things escalated. But in many ways, it was a battle that has been brewing for years between the rural and the urbanites, the poor and the rich — between China’s dog eaters and its growing number of dog lovers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/chinese-dog-eaters-and-dog-lovers-spar-over-animal-rights/2011/05/20/AGvgmVDH_story.html

SpurzN703
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I will always be a dog lover so naturally stories like these make me look like a hypocrite since I eat meat. The truck the dogs were in, can it get anymore ridiculous than that? There's no better way to transport the animals to their eventual death? It's amazing to me how little some people in any culture seem to give a **** about another living being.

Vaark
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM
This story sickens me .. just like the way they make horsemeat out of thoroughbreds who they can't race anymore. My fervent hope is that these animals are fed long-lasting poisonous mushrooms before slaughter. I understand I've got more sympathy for defenseless animals, especially ones put on this earth for socialization with humans, than I do for many humans, but what can I tell ya.. that's just me :idk:

Bumpus
05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
:hclap: It's stories like these that make the animal rights activists look good. :up:

However, these are the same idiots that would gleefully stone me to death for my views on tasty, tasty cows. So, I still don't like 'em.

SpurzN703
05-31-2011, 05:10 PM
This story sickens me .. just like the way they make horsemeat out of thoroughbreds who they can't race anymore. My fervent hope is that these animals are fed long-lasting poisonous mushrooms before slaughter. I understand I've got more sympathy for defenseless animals, especially ones put on this earth for socialization with humans, than I do for many humans, but what can I tell ya.. that's just me :idk:

I side more with animals than I do with people 7 days a week. People, most of whom I consider absolute morons with no common sense whatsoever, at least have the chance to make decisions for themselves. They have the capability to understand their actions may have consequences. Yet they still act up (crime, abuse, drugs) despite having every option not to be complete *******s.

Animals on the other hand? The simple fact that they can't talk is what makes them much more defenseless which is why I favor them so much more.

Rafiki
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Dogs are also a companion animal and not a natural prey animal. That's why I think it's kind of barbaric to eat them.

Then again, I'm not starving. I bet everyone would last about a week without food before seriously considering eating their pets.

WVDolphan
05-31-2011, 11:20 PM
You will eat the meat.

WeVie
06-01-2011, 01:12 AM
So what you guys are saying is none of you would try dog if it was cooked right? Ya never know. It could be the greatest thing you have ever eaten.

SpurzN703
06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
So what you guys are saying is none of you would try dog if it was cooked right? Ya never know. It could be the greatest thing you have ever eaten.

The only way I'd eat that was if I was lied to and thought it was something else. Period.

Bobby Humphrey
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
i have eaten dog a couple of times. it's over rated. poor quality meat really.