View Full Version : Arrested for dancing at Thomas Jefferson Memorial

rob19
06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYamFjlejbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYamFjlejbo

kinda sad

PhinzN703
06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Cops are idiots as are the people expressing themselves by dancing. It's a bunch of spoiled young adults who think they're making a stand when all they're doing is creating unnecessary drama.

Rafiki
06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Normally I'm against the cops, and agree with the interviewee that the cops exist for revenue and control rather than public protection and service.

But, a memorial is a place for quiet reflection, not a place for a dance-off. There are reasonable limits to free expression, and this falls under that category. Go be a nuisance someplace else, malcontent.

PhinzN703
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Apparently the video most seen on the internet isn't the full video anyway, it only shows bits and pieces (the ones where you're lead to assume the cops are brutes).

rob19
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Regardless of what you believe the Jefferson Memorial is or isn't for, that individual had a constitutional right to do what he was doing. We don't have the first amendment so we can say and do what the majority of people think is socially acceptable, these types of demonstrations have their place in a democracy, and these individuals were exercising their constitutional rights, and should have been respected, as such.

Also, I thought the force used to detain these people was overly excessive, and unnecessary, and hopefully, isn't a larger indicator of the "thug" mentality of the police, that the interviewee mentioned.

Rafiki
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Is RTV in Moscow, Russia? I wonder how they'd react to a bunch of hippies dancing at Lenin's tomb.

Rafiki
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
that individual had a constitutional right to do what he was doing.

Not according to the courts.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates ruled in a 26-page opinion on Monday that the interior of the memorial is not a public forum where people may dance, even if they are silently boogying to music on headphones.
“The purpose of the memorial is to publicize Thomas Jefferson’s legacy, so that critics and supporters alike may contemplate his place in history,” Bates wrote. “The Park Service prohibits all demonstrations in the interior of the memorial, in order to maintain ‘an atmosphere of calm, tranquillity, and reverence.'”
“Prohibiting demonstrations is a reasonable means of ensuring a tranquil and contemplative mood at the Jefferson Memorial,” the judge added.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/del-quentin-wilber/no-dancing-at-jefferson-memori.html

rob19
06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
For instance, I have a hard time believing Thomas Jefferson would've wanted the arrest of anyone who danced at his memorial, and that his memorial have strict social standards that must be adhered to in our "land of the free", the one he helped mold. Seems kind of silly.

rob19
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Is RTV in Moscow, Russia? I wonder how they'd react to a bunch of hippies dancing at Lenin's tomb.

If Lenin stood for freedom of expression, and worked his whole life to try and found a country on Freedom of the people, rather than one founded on tyrannical oppression, I'd hope they'd be fine with it.

Rafiki
06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
If Lenin stood for freedom of expression, and worked his whole life to try and found a country on Freedom of the people, rather than one founded on tyrannical oppression, I'd hope they'd be fine with it.

No dancing at the Jefferson Memorial doesn't equal tyrannical oppression. What about libraries, which are supposedly bastions of free thought? If you organized a flash mob to show up at your local library and do a dance-off, I guarantee that the cops will come and try to break it up.

I also think it's funny that a Russia news channel would give the US crap over freedom of expression. Russian journalists that criticize Putin or Medvedev usually end up getting disposed of.

rob19
06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
No dancing at the Jefferson Memorial doesn't equal tyrannical oppression. What about libraries, which are supposedly bastions of free thought? If you organized a flash mob to show up at your local library and do a dance-off, I guarantee that the cops will come and try to break it up.

I also think it's funny that a Russia news channel would give the US crap over freedom of expression. Russian journalists that criticize Putin or Medvedev usually end up getting disposed of.

So just for arguments sake, do you think Thomas Jefferson would've advocated these peoples arrest?

It's a hypothetical, and as we can't get his actual opinion, my claiming he wouldn't, would be just as valid as your claiming he would.. but I am curious as to what your opinion is.

rob19
06-01-2011, 03:14 PM
And as for the second part of this discussion, do you believe the force used by the police in this incident was excessive or not

Rafiki
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
So just for arguments sake, do you think Thomas Jefferson would've advocated these peoples arrest?

It's a hypothetical, and as we can't get his actual opinion, my claiming he wouldn't, would be just as valid as your claiming he would.. but I am curious as to what your opinion is.

No he wouldn't have wanted them arrested.

Well maybe he would if they were dancing terribly.

Rafiki
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
And as for the second part of this discussion, do you believe the force used by the police in this incident was excessive or not

Yes. Cops are always trying to escalate physical contact. I've seen some videos of cops punching chicks in the face that they presume are resisting.

There's really no need to slam him down and choke him. The cop is actually creating more work for himself, because now he has to help the guy back up to his feet. Get him in an arm lock and drag his *** off. If he resists get help.

Arsenal WV
06-01-2011, 03:53 PM
If that cop choke slammed me like that, we would have been fighting.

WeVie
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
That is pretty crazy. It's not like they were being obscene or really bothering anyone.

Arsenal WV
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
What crime are they comitting exactly?

Is it illegal to dance?

Bobby Humphrey
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
this video needs more people getting tazered

Bumpus
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Damn smelly hippies ...

It is actually posted that inside the memorials it is supposed to be a solemn quiet place.

My most feverent wish is that once these morons are released - they go to Arlington National Cemetary and attempt an encore during the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Now, that's some video that would provide guaranteed entertainment! :lol:

PhinzN703
06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Regardless of what you believe the Jefferson Memorial is or isn't for, that individual had a constitutional right to do what he was doing. We don't have the first amendment so we can say and do what the majority of people think is socially acceptable, these types of demonstrations have their place in a democracy, and these individuals were exercising their constitutional rights, and should have been respected, as such.

Also, I thought the force used to detain these people was overly excessive, and unnecessary, and hopefully, isn't a larger indicator of the "thug" mentality of the police, that the interviewee mentioned.

Have you ever been to the Jefferson Memorial? Or the Lincoln? Or any of the monuments in D.C.? No one needs to dance inside them, it isn't the setting for Flashdance for crissakes. Chalk this up to a bunch of YouTube junkies who think they're making a difference by being jerks to the police.

Do police suck? Sure. Were they right to bodyslam people to get them to comply? **** yeah. The one douche was handcuffed and was still dancing. He still thought it was fun and games.

PhinzN703
06-02-2011, 10:33 AM
For instance, I have a hard time believing Thomas Jefferson would've wanted the arrest of anyone who danced at his memorial, and that his memorial have strict social standards that must be adhered to in our "land of the free", the one he helped mold. Seems kind of silly.

Jefferson died 200 years ago. It'd be like 'Encino Man 2' if he knew what sort of **** went out in today's society. He'd be more preoccupied with more important issues than this one

PhinzN703
06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
What crime are they comitting exactly?

Is it illegal to dance?

That's why they showed up with video cameras in the first place. You aren't supposed to do what they did inside the memorial. They were in there with the intent of breaking the law to try and prove a point. Why else show up with the cameras if you aren't looking for trouble?

rob19
06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
lol calm down

and I've been to Washington, so yes, I have seen the Jefferson, Washington, and Lincoln memorial. Wouldn't really bother me if someone was dancing there, I think some of you need to take the stick out of your ***.

PhinzN703
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
lol calm down

and I've been to Washington, so yes, I have seen the Jefferson, Washington, and Lincoln memorial. Wouldn't really bother me if someone was dancing there, I think some of you need to take the stick out of your ***.

In reality I couldn't care less than what goes on in D.C. but since you have me figured out, I'll just whimper off into the sunset.

Bumpus
06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
lol calm down

Or, perhaps some members of our younger generations need to learn how to show respect.

This was a case of arseholes being arseholes.

... my two cents.