PDA

View Full Version : Medicinal Pot Grower Stabs Burglars, Faces Murder Charges

Vaark
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
This is ridiculous....and may end up getting dismissed under Colorado's "Make My Day" home protection provision.. but if this happened in Florida, she likely never would have been charged in the first place. :up:

Woman stabs burglars, killing 1, now faces murder charges; thugs hit home where she grew medical pot

Weld County Sheriff’s Office
Karen Elaine Cordova, 48, was arrested earlier this week after she stabbed two burglars who broke into her Erie, Colo., home, where she grows medical marijuana. One of the men died.A Colorado woman who stabbed two burglars at her home - killing one - is now facing murder charges.

Karen Elaine Cordova, 48, of Erie, Colo., was arrested on Monday, two days after cops said she stabbed the men with a five-inch blade after they broke into her home, where she grows medical marijuana.

Kyle Dust, 31, died at the scene, while Stephen Erickson, 34, fled to a friend's house before being hospitalized. He was reported in critical condition with wounds to his stomach and liver.

Cordova was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder. She is scheduled to be charged Thursday.

Experts say she may be able to use Colorado's "Make My Day" law, which allows people to defend themselves against intruders.

"The law allows deadly force in your home or business, if there is a reasonable belief that the person breaking into the house has already committed a crime or if a crime will be committed," University of Colorado Law professor Ann England told the Greely Tribune.

Erikson and a woman had already robbed Cordova once either late Friday or early Saturday, and he was returning with Dust to hit her a second time when she confronted them, the Longmont Times-Call reported.

Neighbors said Erikson knew Cordova grew pot - he had allegedly cased her place weeks earlier when she hired him to do some duct work.

Cops arrested Cordova after they found Dust's body lying on the edge of her property while they were investigating Erikson's stabbing.

Cordova reportedly copped to knifing the thugs after they attacked her.

"I'm not going to lie," she told police. "What would you do if someone broke into your house at 2:30 in the morning? I'm a single woman."

She was being held at Weld County Jail, and her bail was set at $400,000.

Ed Norton
06-16-2011, 11:32 AM
She should get an award!

NY8123
06-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Now this is a time where I side with the woman and Colorado for naming it the "make my day" law! Kudos to you Karen, I would have done the same thing only with 00 buck shells!

She should be the first recipient of the "Make My Day" Award!

PhinzN703
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM
"The law allows deadly force in your home or business, if there is a reasonable belief that the person breaking into the house has already committed a crime or if a crime will be committed," University of Colorado Law professor Ann England told the Greely Tribune.

The men being in the house is a crime. It's trespassing if not breaking and entering. There's no way she was in the wrong when she stabbed these idiots.

Bumpus
06-16-2011, 11:54 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/06/reefer_madness-1.jpg

COphinphan89
06-17-2011, 12:22 AM
These stories happen and then people here in this state try to use it as a reason to keep the "demon weed" outlawed because it's supposedly dangerous, but they never even come close to realizing that it's dangerous because of it's illegality. Charging her is stupid even though she'll probably get off. But it is a bit interesting that if the burglars had instead been wearing government issued clownsuits, she would be imprisoned for decades.

NY8123
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
The men being in the house is a crime. It's trespassing if not breaking and entering. There's no way she was in the wrong when she stabbed these idiots.

The funny thing is I bet if the men were trying to rob her of anything other then "weed" she would have been a local hero.