PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have AT&T as thier cell phone carrier?

uga3406
06-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I have had T-Moblie for 8 years and thier service has been going down imo the last year or so. Add to that, for some reason these creaps will not upgrade me to a nice phone for some reason. I was thinking about using AT&T as my main cell phone carrier. Anyone have them? Are they good? Reasonable plans? Any help or advice is appreciatted.

Arsenal WV
06-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Don't do it. AT&T blows... I have it right now and it's really bad.

Smith21
06-19-2011, 04:53 PM
I had At&t for the last 5 years. Crappiest customer service ever, I had a problem with my bill and they told me that "i've been a customer to long" they wouldnt transfer me to someone to help me out.

So i switched to T-mobile, unfortunately T-mobile has sucked and ive had them for like 4 months. as far as money goes T-mobile is WAY cheaper than att.

If i had to do it over i would probably go to Sprint or Verizon.

uga3406
06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
right now I pay about 58 a month for T-Mobile if I went w/ At&T my bill would be 85 a month but a nicer phone to be honest...hmmm now I am screwed was thinking AT&T might be best way to go but maybe not

Arsenal WV
06-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Verizon or Sprint my man.

Verizon is really good. I just kept at&t because of my blackberry.

uga3406
06-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Verizon or Sprint my man.

Verizon is really good. I just kept at&t because of my blackberry.

any thoughts on the htc inspire 4g phone...

JCane
06-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I hate giving advice on this kind of stuff because it really does vary from location to location.

But I've had AT&T since they bought out Cingular and had Cingular for YEARS before they were ever bought out. Cingular was the best phone company in the history of ever and I really thought that AT&T would make Cingular even better but it has been a massive disappointment. Just awful at times. The only reason that I keep it is because of my family plan that includes my sister and her husband. We ALL want Verizon but they don't get ANY service where my sister lives and her husband gets a 22% discount on each bill because of his job. If it wasn't for that we would definitely switch.

I would suggest Verizon but obviously, I'm a bit bias here and have some anger towards AT&T. However, I've never had any billing issues really. I had one issue one time and it was a simple misunderstand and they corrected it and credited me immediately without hassle.

Phinatic8u
06-19-2011, 06:41 PM
AT&T Blows..

Cricket FTW

:lol:

uga3406
06-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for advice guys..keep it coming....

Bumpus
06-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I've been with AT&T for over a decade.

I really don't get why people seem to blast them. I very rarely have a problem.

PhinsPhan11
06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I have AT&T, and I don't seem to have any problems with it.

uga3406
06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I have AT&T, and I don't seem to have any problems with it.

know anything about htc inspire pal? seems like a great phone any advice

Vaark
06-19-2011, 07:52 PM
No serious issues with Verizon

PhinsPhan11
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
know anything about htc inspire pal? seems like a great phone any advice
I don't know much about that one, but I have an iPhone that doesn't give me any problems.

uga3406
06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't know much about that one, but I have an iPhone that doesn't give me any problems.

it's a 4g phone that is a android (tm) if that helps any

X-Pacolypse
06-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Verizon f*cking blows. I'll never use their phone service again. I have AT&T right now, and I've had no problems. I've also had Sprint and I never had any problems with them.

tylerdolphin
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I use Metro PCS when Im in the states. Never really had a problem and its cheap.

WeVie
06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I will be switching to Verizon next year when my contract is up for one reason only. Verizon has unlimited data plans for $30. At&t only allows you 2GB a month for 25$. 2GB is nothing. I have to be super careful or I go over every month and then they charge you another $15 for 200MB of data.

Other than that, the price is about the same and since I am no longer in the mountains, the service seems to be good for any of them.

I have also considered changing to Sprint because they are cheaper than the other guys. They just don't have the phone that I would want.

BTW, At&t bought out T-Mobile so you will be switching soon enough anyway.

PhinzN703
06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
I've had AT&T for over 7 years now (Cingular before) and I don't have any beef with them. Lots of people complain about reception with AT&T but I don't have problems where I am. I hardly ever have any dropped calls either (that's a big prob for some). I think Sprint has the best plan as far as minutes/texting/internet for the lowest price. With AT&T, I pay $60/month for my line with an added $50 for Blackberry Data Plan/Texting. It isn't really fun to pay that much but it's what I have to do.

PhinzN703
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
I will be switching to Verizon next year when my contract is up for one reason only. Verizon has unlimited data plans for $30. At&t only allows you 2GB a month for 25$. 2GB is nothing. I have to be super careful or I go over every month and then they charge you another $15 for 200MB of data.

Other than that, the price is about the same and since I am no longer in the mountains, the service seems to be good for any of them.

I have also considered changing to Sprint because they are cheaper than the other guys. They just don't have the phone that I would want.

BTW, At&t bought out T-Mobile so you will be switching soon enough anyway.

I've had the unlimited data plan for a long time now so I'm good. New customers though can only choose the 2GB data plan. My wife is in that realm but luckily for us, she doesn't use the phone as often as it would take to run our bill up over the 2GB limit.

WeVie
06-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Don't do it. AT&T blows... I have it right now and it's really bad.

Everything sucks there in the mountains. I would drop more calls in a day when I still lived there than I have here in NC the whole year I have been here and that is no lie.

I have a friend that had Verizon and had horrible service at my house, yet I could go across the street to his house with my At&t phone have zero service.

If I were to go into Lowe's in Bluefield, I would drop my call every time if I went into the back of the store.

At&t does not even have 3G there. It's the Edge network and it's like being on dial-up all over again. If I would have gotten my iPhone before I moved, I would have been super pissed.

WeVie
06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I've had the unlimited data plan for a long time now so I'm good. New customers though can only choose the 2GB data plan. My wife is in that realm but luckily for us, she doesn't use the phone as often as it would take to run our bill up over the 2GB limit.

That makes me even more mad at them. It's not really fair that they allow some to have it and others not. I know they can't just take it away from an old customer but they should at least give it to someone that calls and asks for it. While I have only had a smartphone for a year, I have been there customer for many years. Next year when my contract is up, and I call to cancel, they may change there mind.

Steveo 90
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
i am fine with att here in so fla,been with them for some time.......i have the iphone(while some have issues and i understand that mine has been great) 4g,my son has an htc device and it is a piece of crap afaiac
been replaced 2x already and it just keeps(the screen) breaking

PhinzN703
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
That makes me even more mad at them. It's not really fair that they allow some to have it and others not. I know they can't just take it away from an old customer but they should at least give it to someone that calls and asks for it. While I have only had a smartphone for a year, I have been there customer for many years. Next year when my contract is up, and I call to cancel, they may change there mind.

I agree. I don't know why they wouldn't let new customers have unlimited data. If I go to a non-smartphone even for a second, I'd forever be disallowed to have unlimited data for a smartphone plan again.

1 dol fan
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Now remember this is all in La Crosee, WI.

I have had sprint for about 4 years and it was awesome. No problems except that I beat the **** out of my phone. Hell, I even conned them into sending me another cheap phone once.

Since my family decided to end their family plan,I have been going cheap with Walmart's Straight Talk. It hasn't been bad. Its cheap and if I don't have the money, I don't re-up my service. Good for someone who usually hits a point between paychecks where they are completely broke.

I would suggest going online and getting a refurbished phone instead of one brand new. I payed $10 for a nicer flip phone while many of my friends got the basic phone for $40.

Don't try customer service. You won't understand the words through the accent.

Arsenal WV
06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Everything sucks there in the mountains. I would drop more calls in a day when I still lived there than I have here in NC the whole year I have been here and that is no lie.

I have a friend that had Verizon and had horrible service at my house, yet I could go across the street to his house with my At&t phone have zero service.

If I were to go into Lowe's in Bluefield, I would drop my call every time if I went into the back of the store.

At&t does not even have 3G there. It's the Edge network and it's like being on dial-up all over again. If I would have gotten my iPhone before I moved, I would have been super pissed.

I was getting ready to post this. I guess it's probably just where I live is why AT&T blows. It may be really good in other places. Just not in Bluefield.

Tunaphish429
06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I have Verizon..Its pretty standard stuff.. I have coverage every where I go..No billing problems..I get a discount as well..I have the Motorolla droid...Its a great phone..I really wanted Iphone and so did my girl but we got this for buy one get one..Only cost me 100 bucks..I got a 32 Gig Sd card for around 50 on new egg..So it was def worth it..I was gonna try and hold out for the Iphone 5 but I really like this deal.. I sit on a CPU all day long so I didnt really wanna pay 30 dollars a month for internet..But it is convient when I am out and about... I had Sprint before I would lose service quite a bit at the mall and places with alot of concrete also when I went south of where I live..But JCane is right...its about where you live..Also the technolgy that the phone uses as well..I was told that Verizon uses CDMA techonlgy cell phone and when you get into a crowd of ppl who have them you can use service or it just takes forever to pull something up...Just something to consider if you leave in an urban setting.

dreday
06-20-2011, 04:43 PM
ive had at&t for the last 6 years...i'm finding its a little more expensive than other carriers,and the service lags in some spots,but ive been able to cope.

Arsenal WV
06-20-2011, 04:45 PM
With a straight-talk phone. Do you get signal from all the other providers towers, or do they have their own towers?

If they feed off of every other company's towers, then that's something to think about. Because 45 a month and you get everything unlimited. Talk,Text,voicemail,internet.etc..

dreday
06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
not sure about the towers and stuff,but i have a family plan, and i pay 65.00 a month for all the unlimited features.i think the internet has a 2gb limit,then charges apply.

WeVie
06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I have Verizon..Its pretty standard stuff.. I have coverage every where I go..No billing problems..I get a discount as well..I have the Motorolla droid...Its a great phone..I really wanted Iphone and so did my girl but we got this for buy one get one..Only cost me 100 bucks..I got a 32 Gig Sd card for around 50 on new egg..So it was def worth it..I was gonna try and hold out for the Iphone 5 but I really like this deal.. I sit on a CPU all day long so I didnt really wanna pay 30 dollars a month for internet..But it is convient when I am out and about... I had Sprint before I would lose service quite a bit at the mall and places with alot of concrete also when I went south of where I live..But JCane is right...its about where you live..Also the technolgy that the phone uses as well..I was told that Verizon uses CDMA techonlgy cell phone and when you get into a crowd of ppl who have them you can use service or it just takes forever to pull something up...Just something to consider if you leave in an urban setting.

If I go to a sporting event or somewhere with a big crowd of people in Charlotte, At&t's data is super slow sometimes to the point it will not even load or work at all.

Nappy Roots
06-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Well I've not only had all carriers, I've worked for at&t and Verizon. Now depends on where you live obviously. But GENERALLY, Verizon has the best coverage. You get more features with at&t on your account for paying the same amount as Verizon. Phone options are better with at&t and at&t's customer service is way better then Verizon.

I wouldn't even consider sprint or T-Mobile unless you just want to go the cheaper route

WeVie
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Well I've not only had all carriers, I've worked for at&t and Verizon. Now depends on where you live obviously. But GENERALLY, Verizon has the best coverage. You get more features with at&t on your account for paying the same amount as Verizon. Phone options are better with at&t and at&t's customer service is way better then Verizon.

I wouldn't even consider sprint or T-Mobile unless you just want to go the cheaper route

What do extra features do you refer to? The only thing I know they have that Verizon has is a cap on there data package.

PhinzN703
06-21-2011, 10:53 AM

It definitely depends on where you live. I've lived in and around cities my whole life. My wife and I's first apartment, she had Verizon. No farther than a mile a way there was a Verizon building with a tower behind it. She couldn't get service inside our friggin' apartment despite being so close to the tower.

Never did quite figure out why that was.

uga3406
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Just to update everyone where I am at this point. Called T-Moblie last night and they were begging me to stay. Said they would offer a free phones if I did. So it was late I looked on thier site and saw some I liked and called in an hour ago. I told them I saw some of these phones I wanted that are free and they said no sir that is only if you become a new customer ROFL I was like you must be kidding me. You beg me to stay and you offer 2 free phones and what they are ---are crap. I mean i wouldn't sell them to my worts enemy.

So I go back to AT&T and the phone I liked is now double what it was the original night---WTF!!! So they sell me this line there better then all the rest and offer me free phone as well. I look at thier list and it's way no better. I mean these phone are like a year plus old she tells me. I'm like hmm no thanks then hang up. I am totally foucked and it suxs. It's freakin hilarous guys. These so called customer service people make me laugh when they are trying to give you a deal. I mean how do they do it with a straight face. Oh well, not sure what the plan is now but I am pissed. No 1 in hell will I sign with Sprint, that like option Z.

WeVie
06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Just to update everyone where I am at this point. Called T-Moblie last night and they were begging me to stay. Said they would offer a free phones if I did. So it was late I looked on thier site and saw some I liked and called in an hour ago. I told them I saw some of these phones I wanted that are free and they said no sir that is only if you become a new customer ROFL I was like you must be kidding me. You beg me to stay and you offer 2 free phones and what they are ---are crap. I mean i wouldn't sell them to my worts enemy.

So I go back to AT&T and the phone I liked is now double what it was the original night---WTF!!! So they sell me this line there better then all the rest and offer me free phone as well. I look at thier list and it's way no better. I mean these phone are like a year plus old she tells me. I'm like hmm no thanks then hang up. I am totally foucked and it suxs. It's freakin hilarous guys. These so called customer service people make me laugh when they are trying to give you a deal. I mean how do they do it with a straight face. Oh well, not sure what the plan is now but I am pissed. No 1 in hell will I sign with Sprint, that like option Z.

I would call T-Mobile back and start canceling. Canceling your service and just threatening to cancel is totally different for them. Most of the time, once you call and tell them you want to cancel, most companies will transfer you to there customer retention department or whatever they call it and will about break their back to keep you.

Just call them back and as soon as you get someone on the phone, tell them you called to cancel. You can always just hang up and not go through with it if you don't get what you want. Just make it clear that you calling to cancel.

uga3406
06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
I would call T-Mobile back and start canceling. Canceling your service and just threatening to cancel is totally different for them. Most of the time, once you call and tell them you want to cancel, most companies will transfer you to there customer retention department or whatever they call it and will about break their back to keep you.

Just call them back and as soon as you get someone on the phone, tell them you called to cancel. You can always just hang up and not go through with it if you don't get what you want. Just make it clear that you calling to cancel.

I have been looking at phone co. sites all night. They are all a load of bs. I might call them and cancel and have no freakin phone service. So pis*ed right now. AT&T is no better. The crap they are offering is just as pathetic. I gotta figure this out.

Nappy Roots
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
What do extra features do you refer to? The only thing I know they have that Verizon has is a cap on there data package.

At&t has roll over minutes and can be useful at times. They also have a deal if you have unlimited texting on a number or a family plan. You get unlimited calling to any mobile phone no matter what service they have. both things verizon does not offer.

I have been looking at phone co. sites all night. They are all a load of bs. I might call them and cancel and have no freakin phone service. So pis*ed right now. AT&T is no better. The crap they are offering is just as pathetic. I gotta figure this out.

One trick ive always found useful. Call and say you want to cancel. They will offer you certain things to keep your business. If your not happy with what your offering, and they go to move forward with you cancelling your line. Just ask

"Can I take my number with me when I switch companies?"

They'll respond "No sir, not if you cancel the line today. You will need to port the phone number"

"OK. Then dont cancel it right now."

So you've went as far as you can without actually cancelling.

WeVie
06-26-2011, 12:50 AM
At&t has roll over minutes and can be useful at times. They also have a deal if you have unlimited texting on a number or a family plan. You get unlimited calling to any mobile phone no matter what service they have. both things verizon does not offer.

One trick ive always found useful. Call and say you want to cancel. They will offer you certain things to keep your business. If your not happy with what your offering, and they go to move forward with you cancelling your line. Just ask

"Can I take my number with me when I switch companies?"

They'll respond "No sir, not if you cancel the line today. You will need to port the phone number"

"OK. Then dont cancel it right now."

So you've went as far as you can without actually cancelling.

rollover minutes are worthless to me. I have like 9000 of them. I never use them. I am on the 1400 plan and never come close to using them all.

What's the deal with the unlimited texting?