PDA

View Full Version : This Day In History

Vaark
06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
June 22

1959 -
Eddie Lubanski rolled 24 consecutive strikes -- two back-to-back perfect games -- in a bowling tournament in Miami, FL.

NY8123
06-22-2011, 10:09 AM
June 22

1959 -
Eddie Lubanski rolled 24 consecutive strikes -- two back-to-back perfect games -- in a bowling tournament in Miami, FL.

Dude I have to give you kuddos for this fact! I love useless info lol. I am lucky to roll back to back consecutive strikes let alone two perfect games back to back.

Vaark
06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Dude I have to give you kuddos for this fact! I love useless info lol. I am lucky to roll back to back consecutive strikes let alone two perfect games back to back.

I once strung the first 10 together in a mixed league..every shot nestled right into the 1-2 pocket (I'm a lefty), so I drew an audience at that point. My heart was pounding, didn't put enough lift on the ball to hook it flush into the pocket and ended up with an 8 count which I closed out.. closest I've ever come. About 10 yrs ago, I was in a pro am tournament with Pete Weber who hit the nail on the head when he said he golfs for fun because you usually get the score you deserve as compared to bowling where so many variables conspire to work against you... IMO that makes what Lebanski did all the more remarkable.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/06/2v0bqds-1.jpg

NY8123
06-22-2011, 11:26 AM
It is hard to keep emotion in check when aspiring to achieve perfection. I know a guy with cerebral palsy (Ronnie) who bowled two perfect games. It is about the only sport he can play because of his condition but it is funny because he doesn't feel sorry for himself one bit he just lives his life the best way he can and accepts it.

I give him huge props for being a "do-er" and not sitting on his *** collecting support from the government, this is one of my all time favorite Ronnie quotes:

In response to my question at a friends wake as to whether he has been laid recently or not: Ronnie "I just went on a blind date the other night, figured I might get some action. It was horrible not only was she fat and ugly but she didn't even have a job. I said why the hell can't you work, I am ****ing handy-caped and I have a job so get off your lazy ***".

I laughed so efin hard at his statment I nearly spilt out the coke I was drinking at the time.

WeVie
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I bowled a 300 one time but it took me two games to reach that score. Does that count for anything?

LouPhinFan
06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I once strung the first 10 together in a mixed league..every shot nestled right into the 1-2 pocket (I'm a lefty), so I drew an audience at that point. My heart was pounding, didn't put enough lift on the ball to hook it flush into the pocket and ended up with an 8 count which I closed out.. closest I've ever come. About 10 yrs ago, I was in a pro am tournament with Pete Weber who hit the nail on the head when he said he golfs for fun because you usually get the score you deserve as compared to bowling where so many variables conspire to work against you... IMO that makes what Lebanski did all the more remarkable.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/06/2v0bqds-1.jpg

I don't know. Technically the golf swing is a complex set of variables that every human being that has ever played the game from Pros on down to someone who can't break 100 has had trouble navigating. That includes the variables of weather. Last time I check people don't bowl in outdoor lanes.

Vaark
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't know. Technically the golf swing is a complex set of variables that every human being that has ever played the game from Pros on down to someone who can't break 100 has had trouble navigating. That includes the variables of weather. Last time I check people don't bowl in outdoor lanes.

Pro bowlers do in fact bowl contending with the equivalent of changing and demanding weather conditions in the modern, frequently unforgiving oil patterns that get laid down on each lane at match's outset, then spread and redistributed with every roll, often requiring decisions involving selecting different reactive, weighted and sometimes finger drilled balls. The oil getting pushed down the lane as the matches progress demands different hook trajectories sometimes coupled with modified speeds. Also you have the distraction of other concurrent matches, adjacent ball return machines and crowd noises. In an elimination tournament, the pro bowler sometimes has to change lanes on subsequent match ups and try to make adjustments beyond the several practice balls allowed between games.

Given all of that, despite the precise mechanics of the golf swing, if you execute it perfectly, taking into consideration what you need to, you'll more often be successful than throwing a perfect strike ball due to the kinetic chain reactions of the 10 pins. When one of the all time best bowlers who's also a golfer declares it to be so, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the possibility out of hand . :idk:

WeVie
06-23-2011, 01:33 AM
I never knew there was that much technical stuff in bowling. Wow.

Bumpus
06-23-2011, 02:36 AM
I never knew there was that much technical stuff in bowling. Wow.

Yep.

It's amazing how many nights start out with those factors in mind, then after a few pitchers it quickly degenerates into cursing and launching the damn ball at the damn pins ... followed by more cursing and more pitchers. :up:

Vaark
06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Some time ago I bowled in a league with this guy who averaged about 226... threw a high rev 15 -17 board explosive hook and was fun to watch with plenty of 300 games. He got some backers, went pro but ended up averaging in the 190s on pro lane oil patterns and didn't last too long. Not as easy as it looks

Vaark
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Yep.

It's amazing how many nights start out with those factors in mind, then after a few pitchers it quickly degenerates into cursing and launching the damn ball at the damn pins ... followed by more cursing and more pitchers. :up:

beer frames are great when you're not the one buying

Ricky_Fan34
06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
June 23

1713-
The French residents of Acadia are given one year to declare allegiance to Britain or leave Nova Scotia, Canada.

Also, there are only 191 days remaining in the year

Arsenal WV
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
2010- Landon Donovan scores a goal in stoppage time to beat Algeria and advance to the final 16 in the World Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVU_2TM4o3I

Vaark
06-24-2011, 06:28 AM
June 24th

1992.. John Gotti begins life sentence in jail
1964.. FTC rules health warnings must appear on all cigarette packages

Vaark
06-25-2011, 07:24 AM
June 25

1630 - Fork introduced to American dining by Gov Winthrop
1951 - 1st color TV broadcast-CBS' Arthur Godfrey from NYC to 4 cities
1988 - Roger Rabbit Cartoon Character debuts in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Vaark
06-26-2011, 06:46 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/25ywtj8-1.jpg
This day in history: June 26

1916 - Cleveland Indians experiment with #s on their jerseys (one game)
1963 - Kennedy visits W Berlin "Ich bin ein Berliner" (I am a Berliner)
1974 - The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
1977 - Elvis Presley sings in Indianapolis, last performance of his career
1993 - "Late Night with David Letterman" airs for last time on NBC-TV
2000 - After evening of bar-hopping, Bumpus mistakes road reflector for deer, rolls stolen Pinto and slips away into the night

Ricky_Fan34
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
June 26-

1916: Cleveland Indians experiment with number on there jersey (lasted only one game)

1944: Yankees, Dodgers and Giants play unique 6 inn game for War Bonds, each playing successive innings, final score Dodgers-5, Yankees-1 and Giants-0

1968: Iwo Jima and the Bonin Island given back to Japan by the US.

Vaark
06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/saxyrt-1.jpg

This Day In History - June 27

1950 - North Koreans troop reach Seoul, UN asks members to aid South Korea, Truman orders Air Force & Navy into Korean conflict
1957 - Hurricane Audrey, kills 526 in Louisiana & Texas
1967 - The world's first ATM is installed in Enfield, London
1986 - Robby Thompson (SF) sets record, caught stealing 4 times in 1 game
2003 - The United States National Do Not Call Registry, formed to combat unwanted telemarketing calls and administered by the Federal Trade Commission, enrolls almost three-quarters of a million phone numbers on its first day.

LouPhinFan
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Pro bowlers do in fact bowl contending with the equivalent of changing and demanding weather conditions in the modern, frequently unforgiving oil patterns that get laid down on each lane at match's outset, then spread and redistributed with every roll, often requiring decisions involving selecting different reactive, weighted and sometimes finger drilled balls. The oil getting pushed down the lane as the matches progress demands different hook trajectories sometimes coupled with modified speeds. Also you have the distraction of other concurrent matches, adjacent ball return machines and crowd noises. In an elimination tournament, the pro bowler sometimes has to change lanes on subsequent match ups and try to make adjustments beyond the several practice balls allowed between games.

Given all of that, despite the precise mechanics of the golf swing, if you execute it perfectly, taking into consideration what you need to, you'll more often be successful than throwing a perfect strike ball due to the kinetic chain reactions of the 10 pins. When one of the all time best bowlers who's also a golfer declares it to be so, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the possibility out of hand . :idk:

Thanks for enlightening me with the variables in bowling, but sorry, I'm still taking golf. Read John Feinstein's book A Good Walk Spoiled and you'll see. To golf at the highest level equivalent to where Lubanski bowls takes talent but also hours upon hours of practice. Do bowlers practice immediately AFTER one of days in the PBA event? Professional golfers go out to the driving range after every round (with the exception of Sunday's round, usually) and hit more balls before they head back to their hotel room to get up the next morning to do it all over again. Even then that doesn't help you with handling the pressure that goes with standing over that putt that decides if you win $1.08 million or $528,000 which was the difference between 1st and 2nd place at the Travelers this past weekend. And that's just a regular tour stop, the difference between 1st and 2nd at the US Open was $1.44 million and $865,000. At The Master's the difference was $1.44 mil and $704,000.

In a PBA event you just have to beat the few guys you face in your match, tourney format. The entire PBA even only has 72 people in it. In a PGA event, you have to beat the ENTIRE field of the event, usually well over 100. You have to be able to beat half of the field to make the weekend cut to even make a pay check.

I see via Wikipedia that the PBA uses 5 different oil patterns. If they were so lucky on the PGA. Every day of a PGA event has the golf holes cut in a different part of the greens, usually in increasing difficulty, so we'll call that a push with the oil patterns. But each tour event is on a different GOLF COURSE all together every week. Each course is constructed with different grasses (bluegrass, bermuda, rye, bentgrass) and each of those grasses putt differently. I guess this is where I'll mention the weather again, or the differing hole layouts on each golf course. I could also mention the 10's of thousands of spectators staring at you on every shot (also the millions watching at home). I could mention the water hazards (different types that have different rules) or the sand traps, or out of bounds. I could mention the early morning start times.

I get it. Bowling is difficult. Difficult like any game/sport is at the professional level. But I'll still take golf at the professional level over bowling at the professional level. And with all due respect to Mr. Lubanski, it isn't even close. Unless he's contented in a PGA tour event as well, then I can't really take his comparison seriously.

Bumpus
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
This day in history: June 26

1916 - Cleveland Indians experiment with #s on their jerseys (one game)
1963 - Kennedy visits W Berlin "Ich bin ein Berliner" (I am a Berliner)
1974 - The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
1977 - Elvis Presley sings in Indianapolis, last performance of his career
1993 - "Late Night with David Letterman" airs for last time on NBC-TV
2000 - After evening of bar-hopping, Bumpus mistakes road reflector for deer, rolls stolen Pinto and slips away into the night

Christ! Is that what happened?!?

6/25/00 was truly a night for the books. :lol:

Vaark
06-28-2011, 07:44 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/08/2hg7kav-1.jpg

This Day In History - June 28

1939 - Yanks hit 13 HRs, sweep A's 23-2 & 10-0
1957 - Reds' fans stuff ballot box, electing 8 Reds as All Star starters
1971 - Supreme Court (8-0) overturns draft evasion conviction of Muhammad Ali
1976 - 1st woman was admitted to Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs Colo
1992 - The Constitution of Estonia is signed into law.
2000 - Cuban exile Elián González returns to Cuba following a Supreme Court order.

Vaark
06-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for enlightening me with the variables in bowling, but sorry, I'm still taking golf. Read John Feinstein's book A Good Walk Spoiled and you'll see. To golf at the highest level equivalent to where Lubanski bowls takes talent but also hours upon hours of practice. Do bowlers practice immediately AFTER one of days in the PBA event? Professional golfers go out to the driving range after every round (with the exception of Sunday's round, usually) and hit more balls before they head back to their hotel room to get up the next morning to do it all over again. Even then that doesn't help you with handling the pressure that goes with standing over that putt that decides if you win $1.08 million or $528,000 which was the difference between 1st and 2nd place at the Travelers this past weekend. And that's just a regular tour stop, the difference between 1st and 2nd at the US Open was $1.44 million and $865,000. At The Master's the difference was $1.44 mil and $704,000.

In a PBA event you just have to beat the few guys you face in your match, tourney format. The entire PBA even only has 72 people in it. In a PGA event, you have to beat the ENTIRE field of the event, usually well over 100. You have to be able to beat half of the field to make the weekend cut to even make a pay check.

I see via Wikipedia that the PBA uses 5 different oil patterns. If they were so lucky on the PGA. Every day of a PGA event has the golf holes cut in a different part of the greens, usually in increasing difficulty, so we'll call that a push with the oil patterns. But each tour event is on a different GOLF COURSE all together every week. Each course is constructed with different grasses (bluegrass, bermuda, rye, bentgrass) and each of those grasses putt differently. I guess this is where I'll mention the weather again, or the differing hole layouts on each golf course. I could also mention the 10's of thousands of spectators staring at you on every shot (also the millions watching at home). I could mention the water hazards (different types that have different rules) or the sand traps, or out of bounds. I could mention the early morning start times.

I get it. Bowling is difficult. Difficult like any game/sport is at the professional level. But I'll still take golf at the professional level over bowling at the professional level. And with all due respect to Mr. Lubanski, it isn't even close. Unless he's contented in a PGA tour event as well, then I can't really take his comparison seriously.

You might be surprised to know that Pro bowlers probably practice as much if not more than their golfing counterparts in offtime.. for many it's a 6 day commitment. And while the purses have grown over the years, the best bowlers don't earn anywhere as much as the middle of the pack golfers so when it's the 10th frame and money's on the line in a close match, if you don't believe it's as nerve-wracking and mind-boggling as standing over a short putt then you're mistaken.

But be all that as it may, I never contended that throwing the perfect bowling ball consistently was as difficult as executing the perfect golf swing. It isn't. However, while you're entitled to your opinion, I still do assert that the one who executes the perfect golf swing will optimize his (low) score more often than the one who rolls the perfect ball his (high) score due to variables involved and kinetic action of 10 pins. When a golfer makes a great swing or putt, he generally knows it as soon as it's complete - there are very few surprises. If a bowler actually burrows a high revolution hooking ball at the right speed and 45 degree angle flush into the 1-3 pocket (for righties) there's still more of a chance he'll leave a single back end pin (10pin) tap or even end up with a split than the golfer will a shot that doesn't go where intended. The proof in the pudding is the dominance of Tiger Woods until recently - he just did things better than all his peers and during that period won consistently. There are pro bowlers with close to the equivalent of Tiger's skillset (Walter Ray Williams and his perfected horse shoe pitching motion for one) but despite that, while someoine like Walter Ray can dominate the sport for a year's worth of tournaments, a) it doesn't happen that often and b) no hot bowler has been able to dominate the sport over a period of time like Woods has... or even end up in the top 5 as often. It's just the way it is. :idk:

Now I've golfed weekly, taken lessons from a pro, set up a driving net in the backyard and all that stuff, as well as bowled ...and gave up golf as being too frustrating when at a time in my life, I didn't need more frustration. So I understand how difficult the game is. I'm not arguing that with you but merely maintaining that someone who plays the game at a top level will more likely end up with what he deserves than his counterpart in bowling. And I do stand by that.

Vaark
06-29-2011, 08:05 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/11h441z-1.jpg

This Day In History - June 29

1776 - Virginia state constitution adopted & Patrick Henry made governor
1941 - DiMaggio extends hitting streak to 42 breaking Sisler's record
1963 - Beatles' 1st song "From Me to You" hits UK charts
1979 - San Diego Chicken reborn at Jack Murphy Stadium
1992 - NHL decides Eric Lindross goes to Flyers instead of Rangers

Valandui
06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/11h441z-1.jpg

This Day In History - June 29

1963 - Beatles' 1st song "From Me to You" hits UK charts
1979 - San Diego Chicken reborn at Jack Murphy Stadium
1992 - NHL decides Eric Lindross goes to Flyers instead of Rangers
Patrick Henry was the man. Definitely my favorite "founding father".

Vaark
06-30-2011, 05:44 AM

This Day In History - June 30

1834 - Congress creates Indian Territory (now Oklahoma)
1894 - London Tower Bridge opens
1934 - NFL's Portsmouth Spartans become Detroit Lions
1936 - 40 hour work week law approved (federal)
1938 - Superman 1st appears in DC Comics' Action Comics Series issue #1
1953 - 1st Corvette manufactured
1965 - NFL grants Atlanta Falcons a franchise
1971 - Ohio becomes 38th state to approve of lower voting age to 18, thus ratifying 26th amendment
1986 - Georgia sodomy law upheld by Supreme Court (5-4)
1988 - Chicago agrees to build a new stadium so White Sox won't move to Fla
1992 - 1st pay bathrooms in US open: 25 cents (NYC)

Vaark
07-01-2011, 06:44 AM

This Day In History - July 1

251 - The Battle of Abrittus is won by the Goths against the Romans. Roman Emperors Decius and Herennius Etruscus are killed.

1200 - In China, sunglasses are invented

1517 - 1st burning of Protestants at stake in Netherlands

1656 - 1st Quakers (Mary Fisher/Ann Austin) arrives in Boston (arrested)

1776 - 1st vote on Declaration of Independence

1847 - 1st US postage stamps go on sale, 5 cent Franklin & 10 cent Washington, NYC

1861 - 1st public schoolhouse opens at Washington & Mason St, SF

1862 - Congress outlaws polygamy (1st time); bad news for Utah

1867 - Dominion of Canada forms (New Bruns, Nova Scotia, Ontario & Quebec) ***Happy Canada Day To All FH's Canucks***

1870 - James W Smith of SC is 1st black to enter West Point

1898 - Teddy Roosevelt & his Rough Riders charge up San Juan Hill

1903 - 1st Tour de France bicycle race begins

1921 - The Communist Party of China is founded.

1929 - US cartoonist Elzie Segar creates "Popeye"

1941 - Bulova Watch Co pays $9 for 1st ever network TV commercial

1944 - 2500+ killed in London/SE England by German flying bombs

1960 - Fidel Castro nationalizes Esso, Shell & Texaco in Cuba

1963 - ZIP Codes are introduced for United States mail.

1993 - 1 second is added to the clock

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/muglarge-1.jpg

Bumpus
07-01-2011, 09:19 AM

This Day In History - July 1

251 - The Battle of Abrittus is won by the Goths against the Romans. Roman Emperors Decius and Herennius Etruscus are killed.

1200 - In China, sunglasses are invented

1517 - 1st burning of Protestants at stake in Netherlands

1656 - 1st Quakers (Mary Fisher/Ann Austin) arrives in Boston (arrested)

1776 - 1st vote on Declaration of Independence

1847 - 1st US postage stamps go on sale, 5 cent Franklin & 10 cent Washington, NYC

1861 - 1st public schoolhouse opens at Washington & Mason St, SF

1862 - Congress outlaws polygamy (1st time); bad news for Utah

1867 - Dominion of Canada forms (New Bruns, Nova Scotia, Ontario & Quebec) ***Happy Canada Day To All FH's Canucks***

1870 - James W Smith of SC is 1st black to enter West Point

1898 - Teddy Roosevelt & his Rough Riders charge up San Juan Hill

1903 - 1st Tour de France bicycle race begins

1921 - The Communist Party of China is founded.

1929 - US cartoonist Elzie Segar creates "Popeye"

1941 - Bulova Watch Co pays $9 for 1st ever network TV commercial

1944 - 2500+ killed in London/SE England by German flying bombs

1960 - Fidel Castro nationalizes Esso, Shell & Texaco in Cuba

1963 - ZIP Codes are introduced for United States mail.

1993 - 1 second is added to the clock

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/muglarge-1.jpg

2011 - Jaromir Jagr re-signs with the Pittsburgh Penguins, healing the decade-long rift. Bumpus drinks heavily. :drink:

Bumpus
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
2011 - Jaromir Jagr re-signs with the Pittsburgh Penguins, healing the decade-long rift. Bumpus drinks heavily. :drink:

Correction:

2011 - Jaromir Jagoff signs with the Philly Flyers, drunken Bumpus vows to make the Vancouver riots look like Disneyland.

PhinsPhan11
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Correction:

2011 - Jaromir Jagoff signs with the Philly Flyers, drunken Bumpus vows to make the Vancouver riots look like Disneyland.
Gotta love a drunken Bumpus. :lol: :lol:

Vaark
07-02-2011, 07:24 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/08/315cq49-1.jpg

Events in History for Saturday 2nd July 2011

1843 - An alligator falls from sky during a Charleston SC thunderstorm

1881 - Pres Garfield shot by Charles J Guiteau a disappointed office-seeker

1903 - AL/NL batting champ Ed Delahanty, disappears, found dead days later

1937 - Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan disappear over Pacific Ocean

1943 - Lt Charles Hall, becomes 1st black pilot to shoot down Nazi plane

1952 - Princess Beatrice opens miniature city of Madurodam

1963 - Juan Marichal (Giants) beats Warren Spahn (Braves), 1-0 in 16 innings

1964 - Pres Johnson signs Civil Rights Act & Voting Rights Act into law

1986 - Bumpus's parents preemptively lecture their children "We're not THOSE kinds of West Virginians!"

1994 - John Wayne Bobbitt & Kristina Elliot arrested for domestic battery

2002 - Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo around the world nonstop in a balloon.

Arsenal WV
07-02-2011, 07:35 AM

1843 - An alligator falls from sky during a Charleston SC thunderstorm

1881 - Pres Garfield shot by Charles J Guiteau a disappointed office-seeker

1903 - AL/NL batting champ Ed Delahanty, disappears, found dead days later

1937 - Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan disappear over Pacific Ocean

1943 - Lt Charles Hall, becomes 1st black pilot to shoot down Nazi plane

1952 - Princess Beatrice opens miniature city of Madurodam

1963 - Juan Marichal (Giants) beats Warren Spahn (Braves), 1-0 in 16 innings

1964 - Pres Johnson signs Civil Rights Act & Voting Rights Act into law

1986 - Bumpus's parents preemptively lecture their children "We're not THOSE kinds of West Virginians!"

1994 - John Wayne Bobbitt & Kristina Elliot arrested for domestic battery

2002 - Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo around the world nonstop in a balloon.
??????????????????????????????

Vaark
07-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Historical Events on this Day in History
1853 - Commodore Matthew Perry reach Japan
1861 - Pony Express arrives in SF with overland letters from NY
1884 - Dow Jones published it's 1st stock avg
1890 - Idaho admitted as 43rd US state
1907 - Pope decree forbids modernization of theology
1930 - Veterans Administration created
1932 - 1st Sunday game at Fenway Park, Yanks beat Red Sox 13-2
1939 - Lou Gehrig day; Gehrig makes "luckiest man" speech
1947 - Cleveland Indians purchase Larry Dolby, the 1st black in AL
1950 - 1st time US & North Korean forces clash in Korean War
1954 - Food rationing ends in Britain
1968 - Cleve Indian Luis Tiant strikes out 19 Minn Twins
1988 - The Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge in Istanbul, Turkey is completed, providing the second connection between the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosporus.
1989 - The movie "Batman," set record of quickest $100 million (10 days)
1994 - The deadliest day in Texas traffic history, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety. Forty six people were killed in crashes.
1997 - Mississippi becomes 1st state to settle tobacco suit

Vaark
07-04-2011, 05:59 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/2s5zm6v-1.jpg

Historical Events on this Day in History - July 4

1776 Declaration of Independence-US declares independence from Britain
1845 Texas Congress votes for annexation to US
1865 First edition of “Alice in Wonderland” is published
1884 First US bullfight held (Dodge City Ks)
1884 Statue of Liberty presented to US in Paris
1911 380 die of heatstroke as heat wave hits the U.S.
1956 US most intense rain fall (1.23″ in 1 minute) at Unionville Maryland
1959 America’s new 49-star flag honoring Alaska statehood unfurled
1960 America’s new 50-star flag honoring Hawaiian statehood unfurled
1966 LBJ signs Freedom of Information Act

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Vaark
07-05-2011, 12:29 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/2rr2975-1.jpg

JULY 5: THIS DAY IN HISTORY

1687 - Isaac Newton's PRINCIPIA published by Royal Society in England
1865 - US Secret Service began operating under the Treasury Department
1919 - Red Sox Babe Ruth hits 2 HRs in a game for his 1st of 72 times
1934 - "Bloody Thursday" - Police open fire on striking longshoremen in San Francisco.
1937 - Spam, the luncheon meat, was introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation.
1947 - Larry Doby signs with Cleveland Indians-1st black player in AL
1963 - 1st Beatle tune to hit US charts, Del Shannon "From Me to You" at #87
1971 - 26th amendment certified (reduces voting age to 18)
1989 - Rod Stewart hits his head while on stage & knocks himself out

Tunaphish429
07-05-2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/2rr2975-1.jpg

july 5: This day in history

1687 - isaac newton's principia published by royal society in england
1865 - us secret service began operating under the treasury department
1919 - red sox babe ruth hits 2 hrs in a game for his 1st of 72 times
1934 - "bloody thursday" - police open fire on striking longshoremen in san francisco.
1937 - spam, the luncheon meat, was introduced into the market by the hormel foods corporation.
1947 - larry doby signs with cleveland indians-1st black player in al
1963 - 1st beatle tune to hit us charts, del shannon "from me to you" at #87
1971 - 26th amendment certified (reduces voting age to 18)
1989 - rod stewart hits his head while on stage & knocks himself out

poop my pants!

Vaark
07-06-2011, 07:09 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/1zzhvlu-1.jpg

JULY 6: THIS DAY IN HISTORY
1785 - The dollar is unanimously chosen as the monetary unit for the United States.
1885 - Louis Pasteur successfully tests an anti-rabies vaccine
1908 - Robert Peary's expedition sails from NYC for north pole
1928 - 1st all-talking motion picture shown in NY (Lights of NY)
1942 - Anne Frank's family goes into hiding in After House, Amsterdam
1954 - Elvis Presley records his 1st hit, "That's All Right"
1957 - Beatle John Lennon 1st meets Paul McCartney
1970 - California passes 1st "no fault" divorce law
1992 - Fay Vincent realigns NL, putting Cubs, Cards & Rockies in West & Cards, Braves & Marlins in East
1999 - U.S. Army private Barry Winchell dies from baseball-bat injuries inflicted in his sleep the previous day by fellow soldiers for his relationship with transgendered showgirl and former Navy combat medic, Calpernia Addams.

Tunaphish429
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/1zzhvlu-1.jpg

JULY 6: THIS DAY IN HISTORY
1785 - The dollar is unanimously chosen as the monetary unit for the United States.
1885 - Louis Pasteur successfully tests an anti-rabies vaccine
1908 - Robert Peary's expedition sails from NYC for north pole
1928 - 1st all-talking motion picture shown in NY (Lights of NY)
1942 - Anne Frank's family goes into hiding in After House, Amsterdam
1954 - Elvis Presley records his 1st hit, "That's All Right"
1957 - Beatle John Lennon 1st meets Paul McCartney
1970 - California passes 1st "no fault" divorce law
1992 - Fay Vincent realigns NL, putting Cubs, Cards & Rockies in West & Cards, Braves & Marlins in East
1999 - U.S. Army private Barry Winchell dies from baseball-bat injuries inflicted in his sleep the previous day by fellow soldiers for his relationship with transgendered showgirl and former Navy combat medic, Calpernia Addams.

Louis Pasteur the father of Pasturization!

Vaark
07-07-2011, 05:42 AM
JULY 7: THIS DAY IN HISTORY

1550 - Chocolate introduced
1777 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Hubbardton
1802 - 1st comic book "The Wasp," is published
1863 - 1st military draft by US (exemptions cost $100)
1898 - US annexes Hawaii
1928 - Sliced bread is sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company of Chillicothe, Missouri. It is described as “the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped".
1947 - Alleged and disputed Roswell UFO incident.
1965 - Otis Redding records "Respect"
1967 - Doors' "Light My Fire" hits #1
1969 - Canada's House of Commons approves equality of French-English language
1977 - 12,000 police occupy university in Mexico City
1980 - Az Judge Sandra Day O'Connor 1st female nominated to Supreme Court
1982 - Steve Scott of US runs mile in a record 3:47.69
1986 - It is reported Boy George is being treated for heroin addiction
1993 - NY Met Anthony Young, loses his 26th straight game (goes to 27)
2005 - Coordinated terrorist bomb blasts strike London's public transport system during the morning rush hour killing 52 and injuring 700

Vaark
07-08-2011, 06:41 AM

This Day in History for 8th July
951 - Paris is founded
1099 - First Crusade: 15,000 starving Christian soldiers march in religious procession around Jerusalem as its Muslim defenders look on.
1693 - NYC authorizes 1st police uniforms in American colonies
1777 - Vt becomes 1st state abolishing slavery, adopts male suffrage
1796 - US State Dept issues 1st American passport
1889 - Wall Street Journal begins publishing
1923 - Harding becomes 1st sitting president to visit Alaska (Metlakahtla)
1963 - US bans all monetary transactions with Cuba
1969 - US troop withdrawal begins in Vietnam
1976 - Randy Jones wins NL record 16 games before All Star break
1992 - Florida Marlins unveil their uniform
1999 - Allen Lee Davis is executed by electrocution by the state of Florida, the last use of the electric chair for capital punishment in Florida.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/33bz9xw-1.jpg

Vaark
07-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Events in History for Saturday 9th July 2011

1810 - Napoleon annexes the Kingdom of Holland as part of the First French Empire.
1815 - 1st natural gas well in US is discovered
1816 - Argentina declares independence from Spain
1842 - Notary Stamp Law passes
1853 - Adm Perry & US Navy visit Japan
1867 - An unsuccessful expedition led by E.D Young sets out to search for Dr David Livingstone (Scottish missionary and explorer).
1872 - Doughnut cutter patents by John Blondel, Thomaston, Me
1918 - 101 killed & 171 injured in worst US train wreck, Nashville, Tenn
1918 - Congress creates Distinguished Service Medal
1942 - Anne Frank, 13, goes into hiding with her family & 4 other Jews
1944 - In World War II, US troops secure Saipan as Japan fell
1947 - Spain votes for Franco monarchy
1948 - Satchel Paige, 42, debuts in majors pitching 2 scoreless inn for Cleve
1955 - Bill Haley & Comets' "Rock Around the Clock" tops billboards chart
1956 - Dick Clark's 1st appearance as host of American Bandstand
1965 - Senators Frank Howard ties record with 7 strikeouts in DH
1974 - Trudeau's Liberal Party wins Canadian parliamentary election
1978 - Nearly 100,000 demonstrators march on Wash DC for ERA
1986 - Att Gen's Com on Pornography links hard-core porn to sex crimes
1987 - Col Oliver North admits to shredding Iran-Contra evidence
1994 - 11,000th HR in NY Yankees history (Matt Nokes)
1996 - US Senate approves 90 cent raise to $4.25 minimum wage
1997 - Mike Tyson is banned from boxing, for biting Holyfield's ear

Vaark
07-10-2011, 07:06 AM

This Day In History - July 10
988 - The city of Dublin is founded on the banks of the river Liffey.
1040 - Lady Godiva rides naked on horseback to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes
1796 - Carl Friedrich Gauss discovers that every positive integer is representable as a sum of at most three triangular numbers.
1850 - VP Fillmore becomes pres following Zachary Taylor's death
1866 - Indelible pencil patents by Edson P Clark, Northampton, Mass
1914 - Boston Red Sox purchase Babe Ruth from Baltimore Orioles
1923 - 2-pound hailstones kill 23 & many cattle (Rostov, Russia)
1932 - Jack Burnett gets 9 hits, Eddie Rommel relieves in 2nd 18-17 victory in 18 as his A's beats Indians in longest relief job
1938 - Howard Hughes flies around the world in 91 hours
1962 - Martin Luther King Jr arrested during demonstration in Georgia
1965 - Rolling Stones score their 1st #1, "I Can't Get No Satisfaction"
1969 - Chilean Association of Librarians created
1973 - Bahamas declares Independence from UK & adopts constitution
1985 - Coca-Cola Co announces it will resume selling old formula Coke
1997 - RJR Nabisco announces it will replace Joe Camel in new ads
2002 - At a Sotheby's auction, Peter Paul Rubens' painting The Massacre of the Innocents is sold for £49.5million (US$76.2 million) to Kenneth, Lord Thomson.
2005 - Hurricane Dennis slams into the Florida Panhandle causing billions of dollars in damage.

tylerdolphin
07-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Bahamas becoming an independent country doesnt even get a mention? Son, I am disappoint.

Vaark
07-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Bahamas becoming an independent country doesnt even get a mention? Son, I am disappoint.

Is reading comprehension a genetic challenge for all inbred Conchs? I actually made it a point to include that relatively insignificant factoid specifically for you (1973)

tylerdolphin
07-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Is reading comprehension a genetic challenge for all inbred Conchs? I actually made it a point to include that relatively insignificant factoid specifically for you (1973)

****. Leave me alone lol. Gotta understand the independence holiday/alcohol situation :lol:

Vaark
07-25-2011, 08:29 AM

285 - Diocletian appoints Maximian as Caesar, co-ruler.
1729 - North Carolina becomes a royal colony
1814 - George Stephenson introduced the 1st steam locomotive
1866 - US Grant named 1st general of Army
1943 - Benito Mussolini captured, dismissed as premier of Italy during WW II
1944 - 1st jet fighter used in combat (Messerschmitt 262)
1944 - World War II: Operation Spring - one of the bloodiest days for Canadians during the war: 18,444 casualties, including 5,021 killed.
1946 - 1st bikini is shown at a Paris fashion show
1947 - US Air Force, Navy & War Dept form US Dept of Defense
1947 - US Department of Army created
1966 - Mao Tse Tung swims Yangtse River
1969 - Edward Kennedy pleads guilty to leaving scene of an accident a week after the Chappaquiddick car accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne
1984 - Cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya becomes 1st woman to walk in space
1985 - Spokeswoman for Rock Hudson confirmed he had AIDS
1990 - US Ambassador tells Iraq, US won't take sides in Iraq-Kuwait dispute
1991 - Howard Stern adds a 4th radio market (KLSX FM-97.1 Los Angeles)
1994 - Jordan & Israeli end 46 year state of war (Wash DC)
2007 - Pratibha Patil is sworn in as India's first woman president

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/v8di10-1.jpg

Bumpus
07-25-2011, 05:26 PM

1944 - World War II: Operation Spring - one of the bloodiest days for Canadians during the war: 18,444 casualties, including 5,021 killed.
1969 - Edward Kennedy pleads guilty to leaving scene of an accident a week after the Chappaquiddick car accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne

Not sure why your'e doing July 2nd now, but 1946 was one helluva year! :up:

Vaark
07-25-2011, 05:58 PM

heh, leave it to our resident hillbilly history edumacator to catch that. That was my first ****-up in the lounge today: omitted the "5" on "25th" Between that and my Fellacio primer being posted on the main board, I'm just knocking on wood I didn't end up in the red today.

Vaark
07-26-2011, 10:40 AM
This Day in History for 26th July

920 - Rout of an alliance of Christian troops from Navarre and Léon against the Muslims at Pamplona.
1267 - Inquistion forms in Rome under pope Clement IV
1469 - Wars of the Roses: Battle of Edgecote Moor - Pitting the forces of Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick against those of King Edward IV.
1519 - Pizarro receives royal charter for S American west coast
1656 - Rembrandt declares he is insolvent
1775 - United States Post Office (U.S.P.O.) created in Philadelphia under Benjamin Franklin
1788 - NY becomes 11th state to ratify constitution
1788 - Sydney, Australia settled by British colonists
1790 - US passes Assumption bill making US responsible for state debts
1805 - Naples/Calabria struck by Earthquake; about 26,000 die
1847 - Liberia declares independence from American Colonization Society
1878 - In California, the poet and American West outlaw calling himself "Black Bart" makes his last clean getaway when he steals a safe box from a Wells Fargo stagecoach. The empty box will be found later with a taunting poem inside.
1908 - United States Attorney General Charles Joseph Bonaparte issues an order to immediately staff the Office of the Chief Examiner (later renamed the Federal Bureau of Investigation).
1933 - Joe Dimaggio ends 61 game hitting streak in Pacific Coast League
1945 - Declaration of Potsdam: US/Brit/China demands Japanese surrender
1945 - Winston Churchill resigns as Britain's PM
1946 - President Truman orders desegregation of all US forces
1947 - Department of Defense forms
1953 - Fidel Castro begins rebellion, the "26th of July Movement," against Fulgenico Batista's regime
1953 - Arizona Governor John Howard Pyle orders an anti-polygamy law enforcement crackdown on residents of Short Creek, Arizona, which becomes known as the Short Creek Raid.
1955 - Ted Allen throws a record 72 consecutive horseshoe ringers
1956 - Egypt seizes Suez Canal
1962 - Milwaukee Brave Warren Spahn sets HR record of 31 by a pitcher
1964 - Teamsters President Jimmy Hoffa convicted of fraud & conspiracy
1981 - NY Mayor Ed Koch is given Heimlich maneuver in a Chinese restaurant
1988 - Mike Schmidt sets NL record appearing in 2,155 games at 3rd base, as Phillies & NY Mets end that game at 2:13 AM
1991 - Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) is arrested in Florida, for exposing himself at an adult movie theater
1993 - Mars Observer takes 1st photo of Mars, from 5 billion km

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/2qxx8w1-1.jpg

Vaark
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Wednesday 27th July 2011
1586 - Sir Walter Raleigh brings 1st tobacco to England from Virginia
1880 - A P Abourne patents a process for refining coconut oil
1888 - Philip Pratt unveils 1st electric automobile
1931 - Grasshoppers in Iowa, Nebr & SD destroyed thousands of acres of crops
1940 - Bugs Bunny debuts in "Wild Hare"
1945 - US Communist Party forms
1965 - Pres Johnson signs a bill requiring cigarette makers to print health warnings on all cigarette packages about the effects of smoking
1982 - Menken & Ashman's musical "Little Shop of Horrors," premieres in NYC
1988 - Boston's worst traffic jam in 30 years
1990 - Zsa Zsa Gabor begins a 3 day jail sentence for slapping a cop
1999 - Kanye West secretly goes on the down low

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/2a9ck95-1.jpg

Vaark
07-28-2011, 07:10 AM
This Day in History for 28th July

1586 - Sir Thomas Harriot introduces potatoes to Europe
1858 - 1st use of fingerprints as a means of identification is made by
1868 - 14th Amendment ratified, grants citizenship to ex-slaves
1896 - City of Miami incorporated
1900 - Hamburger created by Louis Lassing in Connecticut
1931 - Congress makes "Star-Spangled Banner" our 2nd national anthem
1933 - 1st singing telegram delivered (to Rudy Vallee), NYC
1943 - Pres FDR announces end of coffee rationing in US
1959 - Great-Britain starts using postal codes
1971 - 16 time gold glover Brook Robinson commits 3 errors in 6th inning
1988 - IBM announces price hike on older models
1992 - Ground breaking of Fla Marlins 7,500 seat spring training stadium
2005 - The Provisional Irish Republican Army call an end to their thirty year long armed campaign in Northern Ireland.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/33nje6r-1.jpg

Vaark
08-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Events in History for Tuesday 2nd August 2011
1776 - Formal signing of Declaration of Independence
1858 - 1st mailboxes installed in Boston & NYC streets
1875 - 1st roller skating rink opens (London)
1961 - Beatles 1st gig as house band of Liverpool's Cavern Club
1969 - Bob Dylan makes surprise appearance at Hibbing HS Minn 10th reunion
1991 - Funk singer Rick James, arrested on sexual torture charges
1993 - NYC radio (WFAN) personality Don Imus' lung collapes

Bumpus
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Events in History for Tuesday 2nd August 2011
1776 - Formal signing of Declaration of Independence
1858 - 1st mailboxes installed in Boston & NYC streets
1875 - 1st roller skating rink opens (London)
1961 - Beatles 1st gig as house band of Liverpool's Cavern Club
1969 - Bob Dylan makes surprise appearance at Hibbing HS Minn 10th reunion
1991 - Funk singer Rick James, arrested on sexual torture charges
1993 - NYC radio (WFAN) personality Don Imus' lung collapes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PR_rzF8ofw

Vaark
08-04-2011, 07:01 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/08/2hg7kav-1.jpg

Events in History for Thursday 4th August 2011
1181 - Supernova seen in Cassiopia
1693 - Dom Perignon invents champagne
1862 - US govt collects its 1st income tax
1917 - Pravda calls for killing all capitalists, priests & officers
1922 - Female 1st baseman Lizzie Murphy plays on AL all-star team
1953 - Vic Raschi sets pitcher record by driving in 7 runs & wins 15-0
1956 - Elvis Presley releases "Hound Dog"
1970 - Jim Morrison arrested for drunkenness
1986 - OPEC lowers oil production 20%
1994 - Howard Stern drops out of NY gubernatorial race
2010 - California's Proposition 8, the ballot initiative prohibiting same-sex marriage passed by the state's voters in 2008, was overturned by Judge Vaughn Walker in the case Perry v. Schwarzenegger. Quarterback Mark Sanchez leads West Hollywood street celebration

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/08/4qgexc-1.jpg

Vaark
08-04-2011, 03:23 PM
don't wanna get anybody too excited, but if i get around to it tomorrow, we just might have a special guest star introducing "today in history.' :idk:

Vaark
08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
don't wanna get anybody too excited, but if i get around to it tomorrow, we just might have a special guest star introducing "today in history.' :idk:

as promised:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/08/1zpmq89-1.jpg

This Day In History: August 5
1861 U.S. Army abolishes flogging
1861 U.S. levies its 1st Income Tax (3% of incomes over $800)
1924 Comic strip "Little Orphan Annie," by Harold Gray, debuts
1936 At Berlin Olympics, Jesse Owens wins his 3rd Olympic medal
1957 "American Bandstand," begins network TV (ABC)
1967 Bobby Gentry releases her only hit "Ode to Billy Joe"
1972 Uganda president Idi Amin throws out all 80,000 Asians
1972 Moody Blues release "Nights in White Satin"
1981 President Regan fires 11,500 striking air traffic controllers
1985 Baseball players go on strike for 2 days
1994 Rocker Billy Idol admitted to the hospital after drug overdose
2010 Model Naomi Campbell confirms former President of Liberia Charles Taylor gave her diamonds she described as 'dirty looking stones'

Bumpus
08-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow. Who knew Napoleon was such a handsome gentleman? :idk: