PDA

View Full Version : NY Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law..

Vaark
07-04-2011, 05:32 AM
NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law..
Darwin would be proud....

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclis...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Arsenal WV
07-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Welp...

WeVie
07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
That is classic. What is it with people who ride bikes not wanting to wear helmets? I have a friend who rides and he complains about being forced to wear a helmet all the time.

tylerdolphin
07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
He will never be the head of a major corporation

PhinsPhan11
07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
:rimshot:

Bumpus
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/15402-1.gif
I see what you did there.

Arsenal WV
07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Not a good time to lose ones head....

That's no way to get ahead in life...

Shame he wasn't more headstrong...

WeVie
07-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Not a good time to lose ones head....

That's no way to get ahead in life...

Shame he wasn't more headstrong...

Now you start with the head jokes.

JPPT1974
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Well that should show you, you do need to wear a helmet. Regardless of if you want or don't want to wear one.

Valandui
07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
It's really an identical arguement to seatbelt laws. It's not that it isn't smart to wear it. I personally would never get in a car without wearing a seatbelt. It's that the government has no jurisdiction to force you to wear them. I completely agree with this position.

Dolfan3773
07-04-2011, 09:09 PM
:bobdole:

WeVie
07-05-2011, 12:46 AM
It's really an identical arguement to seatbelt laws. It's not that it isn't smart to wear it. I personally would never get in a car without wearing a seatbelt. It's that the government has no jurisdiction to force you to wear them. I completely agree with this position.

It just makes no sense why anyone would not want to wear one. It's sad that people are so stupid that the government does have to step in and force them to be safe.

JCane
07-05-2011, 12:52 AM
He died as he lived.

Perhaps we should commemorate Mr. Contos with his very own FinHeaven badge.

Vaark, whip us up a "Darwin Award 2011 Nominee" badge for this gentleman.

Bobby Humphrey
07-05-2011, 06:02 AM

i use to feel the same way. but i have since learnt of people being seat belted in being killed because other people in the car were not belted in. In a crash they become 200 pound cannon balls slaming into you.

plus i now feel it is not fair to EMS and police. it have to clean up the body parts after a crash. then have to go tell the family of the dead ones. not fun stuff.

Tunaphish429
07-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Cuse town- Represent!!!!