PDA

View Full Version : One-Armed Man Arrested For Clapping

Vaark
07-12-2011, 07:57 AM
... in the dictatorship of Belarus

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/belarus-one-armed-man-arrested-clapping-162833818.html)

In Belarus, one-armed man arrested for clapping
The crackdown in Belarus grew more indiscriminate this week. Among the 400 arrested: a one-armed man charged with taking part in the clapping protests and mute person accused of shouting antigovernment slogans.

The sound of one hand clapping may be one of those proverbial mysteries, but a man was arrested and seriously punished in Minsk this week for allegedly doing it.

It's a little whiff of absurdity amid a wave of unrelentingly grim news from Belarus, where "Europe's last dictator" Alexander Lukashenko is digging in against growing public protests over a collapsing economy that's gutted living standards and left hundreds of thousands out of work since January in the little post-Soviet country of 10 million.
In order to evade tough regulations on public rallies, protesters eschew placards and shouted slogans, and merely clap their hands to display their anger at Mr. Lukashenko's policies. Since the weekly flash mob protests began last month, more than 1,700 people have been arrested – 400 this week alone. Most of them were fined heavily or jailed for up to 15 days on police court testimony that they were expressing a political opinion by clapping their hands in public.

But Konstantin Kaplin, an unemployed man from the western town of Grodno, says he was convicted this week of applauding in public and fined the equivalent of $200, despite overwhelming evidence of his innocence: He is officially registered as a disabled person and has only one arm.

Svetlana Kalinkina, editor of the independent Minsk newspaper Narodnaya Volya, says there have been similar cases amid the masses of detainees being rapidly processed through Belarussian courts.
"There was one case where deaf and mute person was accused of shouting antigovernmental slogans," she says. "Last week there was yet another case when a teacher was arrested while he was riding a bike and was accused of waving his arms and shouting something in a kind of protest."

"Miracles happen in our courts," she adds.

Arsenal WV
07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Let's give this man a hand for standing up for his rights

WeVie
07-12-2011, 09:44 AM
that reminds me of the time the one legged man entered an a$$ kicking contest.

Bumpus
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Apparantly, the courts saw precedence:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

CedarPhin
07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Arsenal WV
07-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Probably the same as a solid fap session.

Vaark
07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
don't forget this ayehole dictator's regime also arrested a deaf mute for shouting anti-gumint slogans... so it there's a will there's a way, eh?

Dolfan3773
07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Will I get arrested if I fap with one hand?

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/mehro6472-1.jpg

Tunaphish429
07-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I am just a crazy one arm man