PDA

View Full Version : Not so fresh: Summer's Eve 'Hail to the V' ads blasted as racist

BAMAPHIN 22
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/alg_summerseve-1.jpg

Summer's Eve may have gone a step too far trying to get women to "hail to the V."

Online critics are calling the feminine hygiene brand racist after it used the hands of women of different ethnicities to advertise their cleansing products.

The "hail to the V" ads show the talking hands of a black, white and Latina woman that are meant to represent vaginas. Each commercial is accompanied by distinctive voiceovers that some say are racially stereotyping.

In one ad, a black hand tells women that using Summer's Eve products will help them be more desirable at night clubs.

"An extra 10 seconds in the shower, plus a Summer's Eve cleansing cloth before you reach the club and bam, we are so lady wowza," it says.

Another ad for a feminine cleansing wash starts with a Latina hand exclaiming "ay yi yi yi" before later breaking out into an angry rant spoken entirely in Spanish.

"Next time you shower, show me a little love with Summer's Eve cleansing wash," it says. "That's all I ask. Well, that and you trash that tacky leopard thong."

The white hand tells women "you and me should BFFs" before asking them to try Summer's Eve products.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2011/07/20/2011-07-20_summers_eve_hail_to_the_v_talking_hand_ads_being_blasted_as_racist.html

Rafiki
07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't think that stereotyping is necessarily racist. It's ignorant, but I don't think there's an implication of racial superiority.

For instance: you can stereotype people's careers and where they live. That doesn't mean you think you're superior to them, it's just a shortcut to classification.

I fear the day when saying someone is black means you're racist, but I'm sure it's coming.

Vaark
07-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Everyone is too ****ing PC these days. These protesters should instead wash the sand out of their own vaginas.

Bumpus
07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Hail to the vag, indeed!

Color doesn't matter, but smell does. Quit your bitching and flush that sucker. *

*Team Bumpus approves of this message.

Valandui
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I find it funny how it's usually the people who tell everyone to embrace cultural diversity that are the first ones to get upset and scream racism when everyone in an commercial doesn't sound like a college professor or lawyer.

PhinzN703
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Aren't the stereotypes true though?