PDA

View Full Version : Any car gurus in here?

CNNChris
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Hey I have a quick question: are newer cars made as good as older cars? I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla (made in Japan too), and I sometimes wonder if it was a good idea because it seems like these newer cars are made of pure plastic unlike older cars that were rock solid. Some cars back in the days lasted 20 years, yet nowadays they dont (I know several people who have newer Dodge's and Chevy's and they broke down after 60K).
So do you think these newer cars will go awhile? Im hoping my Corolla will go to at least 150K (it currently has 30K).

Thanks

Vaark
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
If you compare a few years of the very reliably representative Annual Consumer Reports Car issue which color codes components of the car like trans, engine, ride, structural integrity, A/C etc and then weights it out for a composite score, you'll see that in general, across the board, cars are much more reliable than they were in the past, especially those coming out of Detroit. However, the most bullet-proof vehicles have always and continue to be Japanese although ironically most are now assembled here, but to Japan's specs, QC supervision and often with imported parts. American cars have improved, I know people who swear by them. They've come a long way from the old admonition that you don't buy a car from Detroit that's been manufactured on a Monday or Friday (drunk, hungover assemblers etc) , but Japanese cars, like the Lexus are among the best made cars in the world.

WeVie
07-20-2011, 08:57 PM
If you thing about it, 20 years ago, if you had a car with 100,000 miles on it, it was only a matter of time before it was pretty much done for. These days, it's not rare to here someone tell you they have 250K and still counting.

I am in the market for a new car but I can really decide on what to get. I am leaning towards an Infiniti but I don't know. I drove one the other day and while I still liked it quite a bit, not quite as much as before driving.

On the other hand, I don't really need the payment. It seems crazy to get rid of a car with 27,000 miles on it even if it is ten years old.

Bumpus
07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
On the other hand, I don't really need the payment. It seems crazy to get rid of a car with 27,000 miles on it even if it is ten years old.

That's not crazy - it's insane. :lol:

Then again, Infinities are very nice & the heart wants what the heart wants.

WeVie
07-20-2011, 09:52 PM
That's not crazy - it's insane. :lol:

Then again, Infinities are very nice & the heart wants what the heart wants.

This?
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/m37chicago-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/2011InfinitiM37M56dashboard570x348-1.jpg

or This?
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/TransAm003-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/07/TransAm006-1.jpg

Bumpus
07-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Bro, if it were me ... I'd keep what I had.

But, I'm the kinda guy that drives the wheels off of what I've got. Speaking of: Only one more payment on my '05 F-150 (under 40k miles) :woohoo:

WeVie
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Bro, if it were me ... I'd keep what I had.

But, I'm the kinda guy that drives the wheels off of what I've got. Speaking of: Only one more payment on my '05 F-150 (under 40k miles) :woohoo:

I have had the Trams Am for 6 years now. I just have been wanting something with all the new tech on it like bluetooth, nav, musicbox, etc.

Congrats on not having a payment book anymore. We just payed off our 2003 Explorer a few months ago. Feels great huh.

TakeOne
07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Hey I have a quick question: are newer cars made as good as older cars? I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla (made in Japan too), and I sometimes wonder if it was a good idea because it seems like these newer cars are made of pure plastic unlike older cars that were rock solid. Some cars back in the days lasted 20 years, yet nowadays they dont (I know several people who have newer Dodge's and Chevy's and they broke down after 60K).
So do you think these newer cars will go awhile? Im hoping my Corolla will go to at least 150K (it currently has 30K).

Thanks

If you keep up with the oil changes, that engine should be good for at least 200K miles.

Phinatic8u
07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I just got a evern newer payment :sadface:

I bought my wife a 2011 BMW 750. Thats another 600 a month.