PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! My New Android Tablet - Heads-Up If You're In The Market

Vaark
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
This weekend picked up a sweet 1gb dual core ASUS Transformer Eee 10 inch (http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/)at an unbelievable price. This youtube video below, among others makes a strong case for this tablet holding up relatively, to very well compared to the standard-bearer Ipad2.

On one of the deal sites, saw a printable Staples in-store coupon good till the end of this month/or as long as supplies last for $100 off any tablet not on sale. Their web site shows the ASUS but no stores have it in stock (my buddy bought the Acer Iconia with similar specs for the same $300 ($100 off list). I'm a fan of ASUS (have one of their laptops) going back to their preeminence in motherboards, so I took the ad over to Office Depot and asked if they'd honor it - they did and I now have a new playtoy.

This ****ing thing is fast - depending on the Android app (it's loaded with Gingerbread 3.1 and has access to the Google marketplace) I might even be able to do some business on it. The graphics are fantastic. It's got GPS, voice recognition and a whole lot of other toys for what turned out to be about 60% of the price of an ipad - and unlike it's daddy, has a USB port. For another $150, you can get a docking station with keyboard that extends battery life from about 10 to 16 hours and converts it into a netbook. IMO sort of defeats the lap allure of a tablet but I'm keeping that option open too, especially if I see a sales price or another deep coupon that reduces price since it's not necessary for me.

Just a heads up for anyone who's in the market (just google "staples $100 tablet coupon" for a printable link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3N9MmKy87s

WeVie
07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I plan to get a tablet within the next six to eight months anyway. I am yet to decide on which one to get but this one looks like it has promise.

Tunaphish429
07-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Tablets are cool , but I just think of it as a giant smart phone or Ipod?

Vaark
07-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Tablets are cool , but I just think of it as a giant smart phone or Ipod?

sort of but I believe there's more computing power and better resolution depending which one you get and the screen is nearly 3X bigger. I never said, it wasn't a toy, LOL

WeVie
07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Cadance seen an iPad in Best Buy one day and said, "wow daddy, look at that big iPhone."

Vaark
07-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Cadance seen an iPad in Best Buy one day and said, "wow daddy, look at that big iPhone."

how's our little princess doing? (turning even a tad blue-hued yet?)

Tunaphish429
07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
sort of but I believe there's more computing power and better resolution depending which one you get and the screen is nearly 3X bigger. I never said, it wasn't a toy, LOL

True, I just recently bought a dual core laptop...Hp..I like it alot.. so fast..My last computer before it was a compaq desktop was like 10 years old..Still works tho...Not too bad for surfing and downloading. I was actually hoping a company was going to come out and offer something a little bit bigger than a regular phone but no voice just 3g and 4g texting and email.. Would be pretty sweet..I cant imagine carrying around a tablet all day tho..Its bad enough just carrying a smart phone..I suppose if you communted to work via public transportation would be pretty convientent to watch something on one or even work.

Bumpus
07-25-2011, 05:17 PM
how's our little princess doing? (turning even a tad blue-hued yet?)

:lol:

WeVie
07-25-2011, 07:09 PM
She is good. She is getting super excited about going to kindergarten. She has been telling everyone that her and her daddy will be going to school together.