PDA

View Full Version : Is casual sex worth it?

BAMAPHIN 22
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM
To do it, or not to do it: That is the question of casual sex - at least as depicted on film.

In both "Friends With Benefits" (currently playing) and the previously released "No Strings Attached," casual sex is anything but casual. Itís carefully weighed, hotly debated, methodically scrutinized and, of course, comically miscalculated. As in most romantic comedies, the casual sex turns out to be quite committed and just a part of falling in love and living happily ever after.

In the movies, blind lust and romantic love often intersect seamlessly, but in reality, casual sex is often an emotional dead-end rather than an on-ramp to relationship bliss.
Anthropologist Helen Fisher describes love as a three-phase system:

1) Lust, in which we can attach to anyone.
2) Attraction, in which lust finds its focus and blossoms into romantic love.
3) Attachment, in which romantic love matures into a long-term relationship.

Casual sex is often an expression of Phase 1 (lust at its most unfocused), but, unfortunately, many people go into it with the false hope that it will lead to romantic love. And thatís where life does not imitate the movies.

Thatís not to say that casual sex is a bad thing. It can be loads of fun, as well as a way of trying out new things and practicing your sex skills for that future special person. But casual sex isnít always so simple.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/28/is-casual-sex-worth-it/

John Biello
07-28-2011, 11:33 AM
i can tell you when youve been married for 6 years and together for 10 plus, it sounds awesome!

Vaark
07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Strange is exciting. Protection is mandatory. Personally, I'm comfortable with monogamy although do fantasize occasionally. I'm friends with a very respectable, attractive and professionally accomplished woman who got divorced awhile ago, jumped into the single scene mostly dating corporate executives....and within a month contracted herpes simplex - the gift that keeps on giving.

Tunaphish429
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Strange is exciting. Protection is mandatory. Personally, I'm comfortable with monogamy although do fantasize occasionally. I'm friends with a very respectable, attractive and professionally accomplished woman who got divorced awhile ago, jumped into the single scene mostly dating corporate executives....and within a month contracted herpes simplex - the gift that keeps on giving.

I love my future wife..I am actually getting married in a year from today... I do not envy my friends who are out there looking for women in all the wrong places...Sex with condoms is horrible...But you gotta do it.. I am happy where I am. Casual sex with familiar women would be ok as long as it was monogamus.
But could you ever be sure it was?

Bumpus
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Is this a serious question? :lol:

Locke
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
It becomes unfulfilling after a while. There was a stretch of 2 years in my early 20s where I didn't "date" a single girl, but instead just slept around. It's fun initially, but you start to miss the connection you should be having with these girls. I can honestly say I'm much happier now with the wife. Like Vaark, I still see a girl once in a while that makes you fantasize a little, but I don't think anyone can say they don't do that...

PhinzN703
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Depends on who you're with. I had a fat chick who I was friends with benefits with for a period of time in my early 20s. I had no interest in her outside of nailing her occasionally. Was it worth it? Sure. Having a banging chick though as a FWB might be a lot more difficult. Especially if you hangout outside of the bedroom and she's pretty cool.

GCD960
07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Exactly

WeVie
07-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Most every guys who is in a relationship dreams about playing the field again from time to time but in reality, if we got the chance, most of us would end up just like those idiots in the movie Hall Pass. Besides, once we hit our late 20's, early 30's, and beyond, we become the creepy old guy.

I see chicks all the time that I would like to nail, but at the end of the day, I would rather just go home instead.

Steveo 90
07-29-2011, 01:59 PM
most people who are happy,fulfilled and secure with themselves will be happy in relationships.......but there is a lot of people who get married because they feel they need a significant other to make them happy and fulfilled which can not be the case,which is why they cheat and or get divorced

that being said there is a time for everything in life and believe me i went through my share of casualness relationships when i was younger and yes i do feel the urge to want to see if i can still tag the game so to say,but i have built a life with my wife and kids and wouldnt trade that for anything