PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Moon, and then Mars

Migs182005
01-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I think this is an awesome decision by Bush to set in motion our journey back to the moon and to Mars.

Besides the pride of the US being possibly the first country to establish a base on the moon, and then walk on Mars this is great because it will lead to new discoveries and possibly new reasources we can use on Earth.

I can't wait.... actually I can.... 30 years or so :lol:

Kamikaze
01-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Translation: "Don't worry about the problems we have down here. Sure you're out of a job and your mortgage has defaulted, sure we're currently occupying another country and hundreds of our kids have died for it, sure we're giving the FBI ever more power to **** with your life, but look up in the sky at the stars! We're going to send men up there and further inflate our budget deficit! How does half a trillion dollars sound? Oh! Don't worry! You won't have to pay for it! We'll just pass the bill onto the next generation."

Clumpy
01-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Kamikaze
Translation: "Don't worry about the problems we have down here. Sure you're out of a job and your mortgage has defaulted, sure we're currently occupying another country and hundreds of our kids have died for it, sure we're giving the FBI ever more power to **** with your life, but look up in the sky at the stars! We're going to send men up there and further inflate our budget deficit! How does half a trillion dollars sound? Oh! Don't worry! You won't have to pay for it! We'll just pass the bill onto the next generation."

Well said :up:

It's all about priorities. Of course, there will be some benefits but the costs in the short term will far outweigh those benefits which will not be seen for 25-50 yrs that can be benefit the public sector but WE will all be paying for it now. I understand the desire and intrique of space exploration and maybe by 2100 or later, we will be strip mining the Moon and Mars.

DeDolfan
01-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Migs182005
I think this is an awesome decision by Bush to set in motion our journey back to the moon and to Mars.

Besides the pride of the US being possibly the first country to establish a base on the moon, and then walk on Mars this is great because it will lead to new discoveries and possibly new reasources we can use on Earth.

WTF cares about walking on Mars/Moon? Resources? How do you get them back? who knows, once back in our atomosphere, they may becomw totally toxic. Then what? Oh, yeah, we all f***ing die i guess.
Just another one of bush's pipe dreams. Don't suppose he's ON the pipe do ya? :lol: :lol:

PhinPhan1227
01-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Kamikaze

Lol...worked for JFK who was in the exact same situation.

baccarat
01-16-2004, 08:44 PM
One positive I could see come out of this is the possibility of new technology that could improve all of our lives. Advances in technology has been made in the past thanks to such missions and these advances often are translated to everyday uses, like the microwave.

Mr.Murder
01-16-2004, 11:49 PM
The road map to mars... a new mars order... leave no martian behind...:jumper:

There is an obvious oversight that must be addressed. Mars has what eleven moons and an asteroid belt? Possible source of comets as a result? Perhaps these comets could hit North Korea accidentally? Oh wait I debriefed a NASA/Pentagon plan from Rumsfeld's notebook, sorry... right scenario wrong idea or vice-versa.:sr23:

The many moons of mars (forgive the play on words Osceola) could perhaps be sources of NASA bases first. It would save time , moon-to-moon distance terms of course. And lunar time designations could make for wonderful audit loopholes for the next trillion we flush away/lose in audit.
By making a base on Mars moon we can learn more about own moon, other that the obvious conclusion it can not support life as we know it and anything it does support would be something not inherent to our gene chain and thus the most potentially harmful things ever found? Ahhhh, new bio terror for us to develop and sell to a rogue CIA backed dictator...:wizard:

Enough of the facts, ammonia supported subpolar viral forms would survive cold and thrive in all season and should be found. WE need some way to kill the chinese cheaper than bullets. Just do not Stanford college have oversight, Condie Rice may be back there and let the CHinese get their hands and untrustworthy squinty evil eyes on them before they donate cash to republicans and sit out bail of 2 million while attending Bush inaugurations with american flag lapel pins to show their support for our country.www.frontlinepbs.com

Oh wait that would the missile tech swap we already did to facitate star wars necessity as part of the 'orbit gap' and 'missile gap' models Rumsfeld is enamoured with.Somehow current policy of those in office is being applied in strategically speculative fashion as means of furthering arms races.:banana: People in NASA have already done this ten times over and overstimated budgets to do so across the board and our great-great-grandkids will be paying for it if their jobs are not outsourced to any compatable humanoid life forms that will work for less than what a job is worth. Bush wants to know how many ALIENS from mars he can make new citizens to get votes for him and the calculators have let to find suitable numbers.:popup:

By the way 2001 space oddessy seemed to almost nail the year of it. Space technology to other planets held back to observe chimps fighting with jawbones in front of monoliths representative of oligarchist illumanties...Kubrik for for Mar's first president.Bush the chimp:monkeyr: with his terrible bad words jawboning of anything of value whilst higher powers behind the machine play god is scary and ironically near true.:vader: The Monroe doctrine for the moon is around the corner, we will fight over that lifeless rock like it's nothing. The number one item to get- common stones of crystalline structre that will go for mortgage rates on home shopping channel unless you have a lewinski desk helper at Houston's NASA HQ as your 'debriefer' and press attache!:ladysman: At a trillion over the guys can have 2 of these! Houston we have no problems!
See my nice lovely new lunar diamond??? (actually not much different from regular quartz common variety albeit with conglomerated particle gradients and some highly prismatic substructures).:biggrin:

ohhhh but this is all just specualtion drawn from past human responses to scientific environmental progress and its place in capitalism and pop culture.:eat:
New NASA mission statement motto sinch shrubya visited- "Chimp Up!":stupid:

PhinPhan1227
01-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Lol...so tell me Murder, what was JFK's nefarious motivation for going to the Moon? Was there a really hot chick there that he hadn't yet banged? What makes your arguments such a joke is that if GW found a way to provide universal health care for free, you'd find a problem with it. I may basically support him, but I still recognize his flaws. By the same token, I can see the positives in many of those who oppose him. Your blind hatred however makes your comments utterly useless.

Section126
01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Are you crazy? If Bush became GM of the Dolphins and led us to 30 straight super bowl wins...Murder would be posting here that he ruined the NFL......forget it.......

Mr.Murder
01-21-2004, 12:36 AM
And then you woke up- look at the texas Rangers, pray Bush never buys a team you like. The record stands!

Section126
01-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Murder
And then you woke up- look at the texas Rangers, pray Bush never buys a team you like. The record stands!

Actually, the Rangers made the playoffs for the first time in 12 years under Bush...........try again.......

Mr.Murder
01-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Perhaps I confused him with the Astros team, wrong franchise...my bad.

PhinPhan1227
01-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Lol

Mr.Murder
01-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Wait, Bush did wonderful things for the Rangers, built a new payer with taxpayer money way overbudgeted and sold it out for a tidy profit in the meantime...
The rate we are going here the atmosphere will soon be like Mars... Houston became the worst smog level city in the nation while Shrubya was the gov.... success breeds success, everywhere he goes new lows are achieved....

ohall
01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Migs182005

It's a GREAT idea, and it's wonderful to have a President than knows things like this will continue to make America the BEST country in the world.

Most of today's technology in science and medicine has come from war and space exploration.

Again, we're truly lucky to have such a wonderful President. This is something that should have been done 10-years ago!

Oliver...

ohall
01-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Wait, Bush did wonderful things for the Rangers, built a new payer with taxpayer money way overbudgeted and sold it out for a tidy profit in the meantime...
The rate we are going here the atmosphere will soon be like Mars... Houston became the worst smog level city in the nation while Shrubya was the gov.... success breeds success, everywhere he goes new lows are achieved....

Man you're lost. He took a franchise that was moments away from folding and got them a new stadium, and new avenue’s of revenue.

Bush was a GREAT baseball GM, and he is an even better President.

Oliver...

Mr.Murder
01-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Private enterprise at taxpayers expense, terrific...

Mr.Murder
01-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Great president- record debt, cannot speak aside from cue cards, and has gutted our education and economy job base...

...........Stand there waving Oliver, someone dumb enough will come up and give congrats... mission accomplished...

iceblizzard69
01-28-2004, 12:16 AM
NASA is a waste of money. I can't believe they are actually getting more money. I don't give a **** if people walk on the moon or Mars.

Trips to Mars and all of this other stuff is just a waste of time and money. I don't know why NASA is getting money, it would be better spent on something important like education.

PhinPhan1227
01-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
NASA is a waste of money. I can't believe they are actually getting more money. I don't give a **** if people walk on the moon or Mars.

Trips to Mars and all of this other stuff is just a waste of time and money. I don't know why NASA is getting money, it would be better spent on something important like education.

Expand or Die Ice. The planet is already overburdened, and it's not like population levels are going anywhere but up. We're already using so many nitrates in our soil to support the current population levels that we're poisoning the oceans with the runoff. If we don't explore now, it will be too late later. Try to bear in mind that exploring space is kind of like having a child. If you wait for "just the right time", you'll never do it. There are always other things which are more pressing and more immediate. That doesn't make those things more important however.

P4E
01-28-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by m_churchill
One positive I could see come out of this is the possibility of new technology that could improve all of our lives. Advances in technology has been made in the past thanks to such missions and these advances often are translated to everyday uses, like the microwave.
If I were a total geek, I would interject here that the microwave oven was invented by my cousin, Percy LeBaron Spencer.

http://www.microwavecooking.com/Microwave_History.htm

ohall
01-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Great president- record debt, cannot speak aside from cue cards, and has gutted our education and economy job base...

...........Stand there waving Oliver, someone dumb enough will come up and give congrats... mission accomplished...

Record debt with record income. This nations economy is running near 15 trillion dollars a year, a record level! How do you expect there not to be reacord debt with record income? Every business runs with debt. Try running one and you'll figure that out darn quick.

The very tool we're are all using right now the Internet came from what? The cold war. So if you want to live in lala land go right ahead. I live in the real world, and it's a place that is mean, and needs a lot of fixing. If you want to fix it, you had better inspire ppl to fix it. I don't think anything negative will come from a national goal of going to Mars. I think only GREAT things will come from it.

I'm sick and tired of liberal thinking knocking down the very things they use and abuse every day. They talk about big business and how they ruin ppl. Yet most ppl work for a large company. What happens to big business when it's over taxed? It passes it's expense onto it's employees and to is customers. At some point liberals will wake up. If the rich are doing better everyone is doing better than if the rich is not doing better.

If you don't like it go and live in a 3rd world country that is not doing so well because they are constantly fighting the government that really uses and abuses their ppl. Either that or the leaders steal their $'s to go live in Sweden.

Oliver...

ohall
01-28-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever

If I were a total geek, I would interject here that the microwave oven was invented by my cousin, Percy LeBaron Spencer.

http://www.microwavecooking.com/Microwave_History.htm

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

My coup of soup is warm in record time thx to your family, thx! :D

Oliver...

P4E
01-28-2004, 01:28 AM
De nada. Can I get you some popcorn with that?:D

Mr.Murder
01-29-2004, 01:22 AM
A third world is coming here, our jobs are going there... if you don't like that fact stop voting for Bush.
We arent in the top ten for health care per capita, there is no excuse. We rank miserably for education, there is no excuse. As for your trickle down theory, it has never worked, and most of us do not like being pissed on. If you like vote for the guy and stay under him for a golden shower of tax rebates that bills will eat up.
Other taxes have gone up, and if you have not noticed there is a deficit. There is no reason to make it be this way.

By the way NASA lost over a trillion in the past audit it recieved. Bunch of scientists cannot get a person who adds/subtracts in correct fashion to keep up with money? Sure thing.

As for the microwave- a necessary evil. Ben Franklin tried to tie an oven to a kite string to cook with energy , it just didn't quite work as well as he wished...j/k.

Almost as nice as some of the old Gore congressional records of funding/making internet technology more accessible for non-defense applications... those liberals just never understand this stuff has other uses at all.

Murder...

PhinPhan1227
01-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Lol...WAY to get off topic Murder!!! We're talking about space exploration and you go off on a "Vote for anyone but Bush" rant. When you finally DID get back on topic, you throw out crap like "NASA lost over a trillion in the past audit it recieved". NASA has a budget of about 15 billion. If they managed to lose every penny of that money it would take them 7 years to misplace a trillion. In point of fact, the report was a knock on Arthur Anderson for a 655 MILLION dollar ERROR in a NASA audit. That doesn't mean NASA lost that money, Arthur Anderson lost that money. Pull your head out of your rectum(or at least the sand) and stick to facts for a change. Sheesh!!

PhinPhan1227
01-29-2004, 10:21 AM
In case you feel like bothering with those facts...

From the Houston Chronicle:

"Kutz, director of the GAO's financial management and assurance division, said the NASA accounting error was so obvious that a staff member on the House Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics caught it by flipping through the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's 1999 annual report and comparing it with the president's 2000 budget.

The space agency had reported that it had $686 million left over from contracts in the previous fiscal year, up from zero the year before.

"They called NASA up and said, `How could this be right?' and NASA said, `Oops, you're right. Our audited financial statements are incorrect,' " Kutz said.

NASA said the actual amount was $42 million.

Kutz said the error appeared to be a genuine accounting mistake rather than some attempt to disguise or misrepresent the numbers. The real problem, he said, was that Andersen auditors did not understand the process NASA used to compile the accounting data, and they didn't catch the error. Andersen also could not produce the paperwork to show that it had conducted a proper audit, he said. "

Anderson accounting mistake which had no bearing on any project or missing funds. If you ever let go of you blind Bush hatred maybe you could carry on a conversation?

Mr.Murder
01-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Andersen... hmmm, ENRON's accounting firm, great track record in AZ while Ashcroft was there, bilked Southern Baptists out of over 500 million in reitrement/401k scams.
Andersen/ENRON- great Bush league supporters as well...where there's smoke there is fire and everywhere Andersen goes arson of the books occurs.
As for mars- it is great, but until we can have peace on Earth what good is having Mars explorations?
As others have said this news helps distract from other more important issues and concerns, and the fiscal implications are even worse when Andersen is mentioned, they are on probation form working in many fields of finance for North America now...

ohall
01-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Andersen... hmmm, ENRON's accounting firm, great track record in AZ while Ashcroft was there, bilked Southern Baptists out of over 500 million in reitrement/401k scams.
Andersen/ENRON- great Bush league supporters as well...where there's smoke there is fire and everywhere Andersen goes arson of the books occurs.
As for mars- it is great, but until we can have peace on Earth what good is having Mars explorations with humans?

Maybe they were counting Monopoly $?! :D

Oliver...

Mr.Murder
01-30-2004, 01:08 AM
...Oliver the stadium for the Rangers was publicly funded , Bush even had a tax raise in the state help pay for it after the fact.

ohall
01-30-2004, 01:11 AM
...Oliver the stadium for the Rangers was publicly funded , Bush even had a tax raise in the state help pay for it after the fact.

Yes exactly, but he was one of the main ppl that made that happen. With his connections, and business sense he turned that franchise around, financially anyway.

That's how Bush got the political bug all over again. He basically spent 2 years politicking for the RANGERS and their hopes to get a new stadium at that time.

The Monopoly $ comment was about the NASA audit.

Oliver...

PhinPhan1227
01-30-2004, 10:34 AM
As for mars- it is great, but until we can have peace on Earth what good is having Mars explorations?
As others have said this news helps distract from other more important issues and concerns, and the fiscal implications are even worse when Andersen is mentioned, they are on probation form working in many fields of finance for North America now...

Lol...of course you'd find a way to digress AGAIN. As for "Peace on Earth", it'll never happen. Was there peace in Europe when America was conquered? Was there peace on earth when JFK sent us to the moon? Again, it'll NEVER be a perfect time. Clinton had peace AND a budget surplus. If HE didn't promote Space exploration who will? Bottom line is that this planet is already overburdened, and there's no going back. Either we expand or we face extinction. And if we wait too much longer it will be too late.

Mr.Murder
01-30-2004, 02:30 PM
No going back- only for a Bush leaguer. His policies leave nowhere to got but up...to Mars, no less! Peace in europe? Oh you mean when christians killed each other over what their god said was right/wrong?
What causes the planetary burden? Unwise policy , mismanagement of resources... leads to bigger problems down the road... but the pace of waste this current office holds ignores these facts.
You act like clean water just grows on trees and clean air exists after you drop the largest pollutant off the list of those you measure. The New Mars order will fix this problem.

Chimp up on it, we are all down with this Mars funk, Boostsie and Clinton have been playing music from that planet for a while.

PhinPhan1227
01-30-2004, 06:06 PM
What causes the burden? Again, take a class. The planets population exceeded what regular agriculture could keep up with a long time ago(around the 30's). Since then we've used nitrates to produce more crops and support the current population size. All that nitrate however has to go someplace, and that someplace is the ocean through runoff. The nitrate has decimated fish stocks already, and it's not getting any better. In a nutshell, we're poisoning our oceans, and there's not a lot we can do about it unless you want to wipe out a lot of people. Alternative? Expand.

Thundercracker
01-31-2004, 05:27 PM
www.98kupd.com go to morning, then mp3, then click on the "MLK Squares January 16th, 2004" too funny

Mr.Murder
02-01-2004, 06:17 AM
There are current advances in biotech fertilizers for soil nutrient enhancement which can eventually replace nitrate fertilizers, nitrate in and of istelf is being made less since natural gas prices to run it are so darned high right now. There is a nitrate facility here.

PhinPhan1227
02-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Basic math Murder...you can't fit an infinite amount of anything in a finite amount of space. The planet is ALREADY overburdened. This isn't something down the road, it's right here right now. And the population isn't going anywhere but UP. Advances in fertilizer? Balance that with decreases in infant mortality worldwide. No matter how far science advances, there are only so many slices you can get out of a single pie. Eventually(actually, we already are) we're going to face a choice...draconian birth control methods WORSE than those used by China, or expansion to new territory. If you think throwing babies into rivers is preferable to a mission to Mars, you need to do a gut check on your humanity.

Mr.Murder
02-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Well the current global warming trend will put Florida water within our lifetimes. Spose once Sharon finishes the wall for Palestine he can build one around FLA's coastline.
If MARS is so important to Bush why is our environment NOT? If Iraq's education is so important whay is ours NOT? Priorities are getting mixed up, Rome overextended and collapsed as a result, do not count technology as a way of overcoming such expansionism.

PhinPhan1227
02-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Rome did not overextend. On the contrary, it was Rome's constant expansion that allowed it to exist as a power for so long. Rome died because it's leadership became corrupted, disinterested, and lax. As for the rest, Bush isn't perfect on the environment, but he's not as bad as he's getting painted. Kyoto? Have you looked recently at how many OTHER countries have also backed out? Iraq's education? I think it's important to put an end to those schools where the curriculum consists of..

1) Hate America

2)Women have no rights

3)Hate America.

...but I forgot...you thought Saddam was a nifty guy who only got mean when he met Grandpa Bush.

ohall
02-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Well the current global warming trend will put Florida water within our lifetimes. Spose once Sharon finishes the wall for Palestine he can build one around FLA's coastline.
If MARS is so important to Bush why is our environment NOT? If Iraq's education is so important whay is ours NOT? Priorities are getting mixed up, Rome overextended and collapsed as a result, do not count technology as a way of overcoming such expansionism.

Blame the cows and pigs. They are killing the ozone with their passing of gas.

It's true.

Oliver...

Mr.Murder
02-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Well your comments equal a fart in the wind ollie... par for the course.

PhinPhan1227
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Heck, methane is lighter than air...which stills makes it a weightier argument than the crap you spew Murder.

ohall
02-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Well your comments equal a fart in the wind ollie... par for the course.

It happens to be true. As population grows the more the demands for beef grows. It's common sense. Methane gas which comes from pigs and cows are seriously affecting the ozone layer.

Yes fossil fuels are more than doing their share, but the demand for beef is also destroying the ozone layer. Some argue it's doing more damage. Not my assumption, just something I've read over and over the past 15-years.

Oliver...