PDA

View Full Version : Review: American Horror Story TV Series

Vaark
10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
premieres tonight on FX @10PM and actually sounds pretty promising :up:

NY Daily News's David Hinckley ReviewsR
'American Horror Story' review: Dylan McDermott and Taissa Farmiga star in boundary-pushing series
DAVID HINCKLEY
Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 4:00 AM

Stretching a horror story into a TV series is a long shot, even for a show as well-crafted and well-performed as FX's new "American Horror Story."

Most of our best horror productions, from "Dracula" and "Psycho" to "Friday the 13th," have immediately sent our adrenalin level soaring and then kept it there for an hour or two before releasing the pressure.

A weekly series needs a different rhythm.

But few creators have a better shot at making it work than Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, who earlier scored unlikely hits with FX's "Nip/Tuck" and, more famously, Fox's "Glee."

"American Horror Story," which premieres Wednesday night at 10, takes the same attitude about dramatic boundaries as "Glee," which is to say, it pays no attention.

While it's faithful to the horror-film tradition, right down to lights that flicker off at precisely the wrong moment, "American Horror" cheerfully integrates Hitchcock-style psychological horror with old-school ax murders.

Like many horror films, "American Horror" starts with a creepy house, this one in Los Angeles. L.A. may not have as many troubled old houses as, say, New England, but in case anyone doubts the town's credibility for bad-house karma, an early episode references the Manson murders.

This particular house's backstory will unfold gradually, as will the backstories of its past and present inhabitants.

This may leave some viewers puzzled at first, since the premiere episode raises more concerns than it explains. The good news for viewers is that a considerable number are addressed in the next episode or two.

The story itself revolves around the Harmon family: psychologist Ben (Dylan McDermott), his wife, Vivien (Connie Britton) and their daughter, Violet (Taissa Farmiga).

They have moved to this house from Boston, hoping to start fresh after a couple of events that changed their relationships.

They didn't count on the house, however, or on a new circle of acquaintances that includes their creepy next-door neighbor Constance (Jessica Lange) and a disturbed young patient named Tate (Evan Peters), who seems interested in Violet.

Set against these off-center folks is Larry Harvey (Denis O'Hare), who is, let's say, a classic horror movie character.

We won't explain plot details, because they're part of the fun of watching. The viewer might want to know only that things get complicated fast and that several of the performances, while well handled, have a stylized feel.

"American Horror" doesn't fit a lot of patterns, but it does fit the style of many recent successful cable dramas, from "The Killing" to "Sons of Anarchy."

Viewers who like the horror genre and the offbeat Murphy/Falchuk approach, and who are willing to put in enough serious time to absorb all the nuances, will fall in love.

dhinckley@nydailynews.com

Gonzo
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
I'll give it a shot, but I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Walking Dead even more!

BobDole
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll give it a shot, but I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Walking Dead even more!

amen to that. they've got their work cut out for them - season 1 was pretty incredible.

KDog13
10-06-2011, 07:44 PM

I love that show but i'm so mad at the same time. I had the idea of a zombie series in my head since HS. I did a project for some media class I had on how a zombies series would be the **** basically. Sadly no money = last in making anything lol. I think though as a viewer though they made it very awesome.

Whens the next season start?

fin-atic
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I watched this last night! Overall it was really good. A little too much in that it seems like EVERY person in the movie other than the husband and wife are some kind of freak..so now there are like a dozen freaks to keep up with...but overall it is pretty cool. Very creep, sexual and well acted. I recommend.

Gonzo
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I love that show but i'm so mad at the same time. I had the idea of a zombie series in my head since HS. I did a project for some media class I had on how a zombies series would be the **** basically. Sadly no money = last in making anything lol. I think though as a viewer though they made it very awesome.

Whens the next season start?If they follow the graphic novel, it's only going to get more awesome. Google Michonne...

Oct. 16th I think.

WeVie
10-07-2011, 06:07 AM

Whens the next season start?

The Walking Dead was adapted from a comic book anyway. It's really good.

WeVie
10-07-2011, 06:13 AM
I have been looking forward to this show after seeing the previews. I have it on my DVR but am yet to watch it because Amber wants to watch it too.

KDog13
10-08-2011, 01:27 AM
The Walking Dead was adapted from a comic book anyway. It's really good.

I realize that lol, I never read it before but on AMC they have stated that.

I was just saying I had the idea of making a zombie television series when I was in HS.

Super excited for the next series though.

WeVie
10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
So I watched the first episode and I really liked it. The only question that I have is the same one that Vaark poses and how will they drag something like that out over multiple seasons.

Gonzo
10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
So I watched the first episode and I really liked it. The only question that I have is the same one that Vaark poses and how will they drag something like that out over multiple seasons.Here's why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96s1M8IyrUQ

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96s1M8IyrUQ)NSFW

Myles Fynch
11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
So... a few weeks under its belt... American Horror Story still recommended?

FWIW, on the bonus features of Zombieland they mention it was supposed to be a tv show that became a film. IMDB has a sequel listed for 2013. Not sure how I feel about that as I was a big fan of the first one.

BobDole
11-03-2011, 06:39 PM

FWIW, on the bonus features of Zombieland they mention it was supposed to be a tv show that became a film. IMDB has a sequel listed for 2013. Not sure how I feel about that as I was a big fan of the first one.

good show myles. pretty out there - which i would imagine is just your speed. basically the standard haunted house plot with super fugged up story lines. i recommend this one.

plus you've got the maid ...

Gonzo
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM

FWIW, on the bonus features of Zombieland they mention it was supposed to be a tv show that became a film. IMDB has a sequel listed for 2013. Not sure how I feel about that as I was a big fan of the first one.Looks like it's back in the works:

One good reason to think a series version of Zombieland could be killer is the fact that the writers have been working on story ideas for a show for years now. As Reese told MTV News last year (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/02/11/exclusive-zombieland-writers-planning-tv-show-with-new-characters-less-gore/), "We always thought [it should be a TV series]. If you watch the movie with that in mind, you will see some remnants of the television show. We have the 'Zombie Kill of the Week,' which was always intended to happen every week. The movie ends on a cliffhanger; it doesn't have a real resolution." Polone says the main leads, obviously, won't be part of the series. But maybe since the project is headed to Fox, Zooey Deschanel could do a cameo as a zombie Jess?
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/zombieland_tv_show.html

It could be pretty cool if they don't make it a rush job, which it doesn't appear to be.

Myles Fynch
11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
@BobDole - the maid clinched it.

@Gonzo - thanks for finding that. Eisenberg & Harrelson are signed up for Zombieland 2... can't see the ladies coming back, they'll just reload. Bad writing can just kill a tv show. It's not enough to bring the plot/idea back for a weekly visit, you have to actually do something with it. I hope they do.

d-day
11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
premieres tonight on FX @10PM and actually sounds pretty promising :up:

Best show on tv right now. A Shining homage that's even better then the original Shining tv series.

WeVie
11-14-2011, 03:30 AM
I am really liking this show a lot.

WeVie
11-14-2011, 03:34 AM
I am really liking this show a lot. I still wonder how they will play it out for the long term. Maybe that is not in the plans.

tylerdolphin
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Worth starting?

BobDole
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Worth starting?

absolutely. show dominates my butthole. quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. the two part halloween episodes were fugging incredible. do it.

WeVie
11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
This has also became one of my favorite shows also.

If ghosts really like to screw as much as they do on this show, then I wish my house was haunted.

tylerdolphin
12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Violet being dead surprised me, but looking back it probably shouldnt have. When Tate asked her "Did it hurt" when they are laying on the bed after the overdose, the double meaning should have been obvious to me. Great twist though.

Gonzo
12-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Violet being dead surprised me, but looking back it probably shouldnt have. When Tate asked her "Did it hurt" when they are laying on the bed after the overdose, the double meaning should have been obvious to me. Great twist though. Surprised me too. I was wondering how they were going to keep both parents there.

WeVie
12-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I have to say, I never seen that coming. Now, I think the parents find out, which in turn will make them not to sell the house. It's starting to be clear now how this show can last over the course of a few seasons.

WeVie
12-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Surprised me too. I was wondering how they were going to keep both parents there.

Now we know how they will stay. I would have never thought that would happen. This is starting be be one of my favorites shows.

d-day
12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Imagine if it was a HBO/Showtime series. It's the only way it could possibly be better.

WeVie
12-18-2011, 10:47 AM
If it were on one of the movie channels, it would be crazy!

d-day
12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/american-horror-story-will-scare-up-a-new-cast-and-new-haunted-home-for-season-2/

tylerdolphin
12-23-2011, 02:26 AM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/american-horror-story-will-scare-up-a-new-cast-and-new-haunted-home-for-season-2/

That was the only way they could keep it going long term IMO.

Vaark
12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Astute way to drive the show forward..,.. turned out to be an excellent, edge of your seat show. FX scores yet again.

Aside from Sunny, SOA, The Shield and Justified, I actually liked the one with Glen Close in Damages, which moved to Direct TV. The countdown is less than a month, Jan 17 til the new season premiere of Justified!!! Woohooo.

WeVie
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Astute way to drive the show forward..,.. turned out to be an excellent, edge of your seat show. FX scores yet again.

Aside from Sunny, SOA, The Shield and Justified, I actually liked the one with Glen Close in Damages, which moved to Direct TV. The countdown is less than a month, Jan 17 til the new season premiere of Justified!!! Woohooo.

I watched the first two seasons of Justified in the last few weeks. Amazing show! I am anxiously awaiting the season premiere now.

Vaark
12-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I watched the first two seasons of Justified in the last few weeks. Amazing show! I am anxiously awaiting the season premiere now.

Surprised you're this much of a Johnny-Come-Lately on the show. But better late than never, eh?

(the "eh?" as my canuck sweetie would say)

WeVie
12-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Surprised you're this much of a Johnny-Come-Lately on the show. But better late than never, eh?

(the "eh?" as my canuck sweetie would say)

As much as I used to work and be away from home out of town, it was pick and choose what I could watch even with a DVR. Now that I am only going to school, it's game on, or maybe I should say show on.

Back to American Horror Story. I thought the season ending was great but I also felt like it seemed like a series finale.

WeVie
12-23-2011, 04:44 PM
And now I see why.

About season 2:

New Location: "What you saw in the finale was the end of the Harmon house. The second season of the show

will be a brand-new home or building to haunt," Murphy said. "Just like this year, every season of this show will have a beginning, middle and end. [The second season] won't be in L.A. It will obviously be in America, but in a completely different locale."

New Theme: This season's theme was infidelity, and season two will also have an overlying theme running through the episodes. "The season we're planning now is very different from the California house approach," Murphy revealed. Now here comes the cool part: "There is a clue in the last three episodes where we resay what the next season will be about." Get to searching, AHS fans! And since the new season will have a new building and location, the opening credit sequence will change as well, but Ryan said he will be "hopefully" using the same artist who created season one's incredibly chilling sequence.

http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/american_horror_story__season_two_scoop/282480

Gonzo
01-09-2012, 01:11 AM
And now I see why.

About season 2:

http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/american_horror_story__season_two_scoop/282480Finally was able to watch it! I was in Canada for the holidays and they were 4 episodes behind (FX is trying to be a pay channel up there...with commercials still).

The only thing I can think of is the Lost Colony of Roanoke, which they discussed in the second to last episode. As for themes; racism, prejudice, hatred, etc.

WeVie
01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
This show was pretty amazing. I just hope they don't screw it up next season.

tylerdolphin
01-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Barely edges out Homeland for best new show this year, and thats saying a lot because Homeland was damn good.