PDA

View Full Version : Cap casuality rumblings heard in Colt land

CpuFan
01-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Colts face tough calls on roster
Team will lose key players unless it can redo deals to fit under salary cap.

Unless he signs a long-term deal, Peyton Manning will count $18.4 million against the cap in 2004. -- Rob Goebel / The Star

Colts' free agent rundown
• Unrestricted: QB Peyton Manning, LB Marcus Washington, CB David Macklin, CB Cliff Crosby, DT Josh Williams, LB Jim Nelson, WR Terrence Wilkins, WR JaJuan Dawson, QB Cory Sauter, TE Pete Mitchell
• Restricted: OT Ryan Diem, G Rick DeMulling, S Cory Bird, TE Joe Dean Davenport, S Jason Doering, RB Dominic Rhodes, CB Nick Harper

By Mike Chappell
January 21, 2004

The first domino that falls might be No. 18. Manning is at the end of his original six-year contract. How the Colts retain him figures to affect many other situations.

"I'm willing to make him the highest paid player in the league, but it has to be within reason because we have to be able to field an entire team," team owner Jim Irsay said Tuesday night. "It's going to put a lot of pressure on us if we can't get a new deal done and we have to tag him."

Minus a multiyear contract, the Colts will designate Manning an "exclusive franchise" player. That translates into a one-year, $18.4 million contract, which is a 19.5 percent increase over his 2003 cap number of $15.36 million. The "exclusive" designation will keep Manning from seeking an offer from another team.

A long-term contract likely would result in Manning counting approximately $11 million-$12 million against the 2004 salary cap.

"That's something that's a priority for the organization that (team president) Bill Polian and I will be working on," Irsay said. "We'd like to get it done before March 1 if that's possible."

The NFL's veteran free agent signing period opens March 3.

Manning declined to talk about his contract status during the latter portions of the regular season and postseason. Telephone calls to his agent, Tom Condon, were not immediately returned.

While there's no question Manning will return, the same can't be said for several others. That part of the business frustrates Polian.

"You know you're going to lose players. You know it's going to be unpopular," Polian said last week. "And when you have respect for and affection for players, like you do with guys on this team because they give you so much, it's just heartbreaking."

Read the rest at:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/113439-4782-038.html

SMadison29
01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
That one year tender of $18.4M sounds waaay off. The average of the top 5 highest paid QBs is $6.6948M or $7.75M(can't remember if it's the top 5 from this year or next).

CpuFan
01-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Note it says this....

Minus a multiyear contract......, the Colts will designate Manning an ......"exclusive franchise" player.

That translates into a one-year, $18.4 million contract, which is a 19.5 percent increase over his 2003 cap number of $15.36 million. The "exclusive" designation will keep Manning from seeking an offer from another team.

The numbers are right if he doesn't sign a multi year deal.

SMadison29
01-21-2004, 11:22 PM
I've never heard of this "exclusive" franchise tag. I'd just designate him the regular franchise tag & match whatever another offers.

Bowl_Bound
01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
My understanding is that the team must make him an offer that either makes him one of the top 5 highest paid players at his position or the % raise over last year, whichever is HIGHER. That is why the 18mil plus.:evil:

Clumpy
01-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Manning must be offered a franchise tender that is 120% of his 2003 cap number

SMadison29
01-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Manning must be offered a franchise tender that is 120% of his 2003 cap number

Thanks for the clarification Clump.

Jaj
01-26-2004, 02:42 AM
Adam Meadows will be cut interests me.

SMadison29
01-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Jaj
Adam Meadows will be cut interests me.

I agree, he's a very good RT. I don't think it would be wise for Indy to start getting rid of Peyton's reliable protection, after all what good is he to ya if he's hurt?

Jaj
01-27-2004, 03:45 AM
Meadows doesn't start though anymore. Diem replaced him. Meadows was a jack of all trades playing many positions.