PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Playmakers

spiketex
12-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Parcells philosophy of conservatism in drafting needs to be exorcized with an aggressive draft to try to find some playmakers. Many of the high draft picks over recent years were safe, steady picks. Pouncey, Odrick, Jake Long, etc are all good footballers that strengthen the team, but they are not playmakers. Miami lacks playmakers. Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall are our two obvious exceptions, but we need a lot more.
Josh McDaniels didn't last long in Denver but in drafting Tebow and Demaryus Thomas, he succeeded in drafting two playmakers last year. In comparison, apart from the Pat White pick, we have been extremely risk averse, but with negligible upside.
If Stephen Ross decides to keep Jeff Ireland, he needs to release the shackles of just playing safe and try to find some playmakers. Finding a QB would be good.

normaldude
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
You like Marc Colombo at RT?

While I think we need a QB and a solid fast WR, I think we also need a RT.

My dream draft would be..

1) QB RGIII
2) WR Kendall Wright (solid fast WR, for the #2 WR spot, to stretch the field for us)
3) Best RT available.

Generic Name
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Parcells philosophy of conservatism in drafting needs to be exorcized with an aggressive draft to try to find some playmakers. Many of the high draft picks over recent years were safe, steady picks. Pouncey, Odrick, Jake Long, etc are all good footballers that strengthen the team, but they are not playmakers. Miami lacks playmakers. Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall are our two obvious exceptions, but we need a lot more.
Josh McDaniels didn't last long in Denver but in drafting Tebow and Demaryus Thomas, he succeeded in drafting two playmakers last year. In comparison, apart from the Pat White pick, we have been extremely risk averse, but with negligible upside.
If Stephen Ross decides to keep Jeff Ireland, he needs to release the shackles of just playing safe and try to find some playmakers. Finding a QB would be good.

You are 100% correct and have nailed the main problem of this franchise. Safe meat and potatoes drafting without playmakers is like buying a beautiful house in quicksand.

You will now be attacked by people who really want a right guard to round out the OL but will tell you that's not what they really want.

spiketex
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
You like Marc Colombo at RT?

While I think we need a QB and a solid fast WR, I think we also need a RT.

My dream draft would be..

1) QB RGIII
2) WR Kendall Wright (solid fast WR, for the #2 WR spot, to stretch the field for us)
3) Best RT available.

No. I don't like Columbo any more than you do, but he will be gone when Sparano exits the building.
It's actually pretty ironic that Tony's speciality is the O Line but it will go down as his achilles heel after perennial draft picks and free agents that didn't make it.

hooshoops
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
speaking of playmakers...what's this i see...rb demarco murray out for the year...lmao there's plenty more of that to come in the near future

what he give em...10 games before it caught up with him

Generic Name
12-12-2011, 04:16 PM
No. I don't like Columbo any more than you do, but he will be gone when Sparano exits the building.
It's actually pretty ironic that Tony's speciality is the O Line but it will go down as his achilles heel after perennial draft picks and free agents that didn't make it.

Another good point. continously filling the pipeline with OL doesn't make your team better, especially if the coaching staff can't develop them.

this team needs playmakers not right guards