PDA

View Full Version : Ive come to the conclusion

thefranchisedef
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Miami needs to draft two quarterbacks high. Personal preference is RG3 (round 1) and Brandon Weeden (round 2 or 3). We can't miss again!! the time is now for us to get a quarterback for the future. With RG3 being the player with superstar potential and Brandon Weeden probably being the best quarterback in the draft (if not for age), we really cant miss!

PSU Cane
12-13-2011, 11:43 PM
If you're going to draft 2 young QBs....which doesn't make a whole lot of sense b/c the guys would split reps in camp and hinder the development of both guys....but for sake of debate, i would wait until later in the draft and take a flyer on Russell Wilson in Round 5.

jim1
12-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Miami needs to draft two quarterbacks high. Personal preference is RG3 (round 1) and Brandon Weeden (round 2 or 3). We can't miss again!! the time is now for us to get a quarterback for the future. With RG3 being the player with superstar potential and Brandon Weeden probably being the best quarterback in the draft (if not for age), we really cant miss!

That would be an interesting combination. A shot at greatness in RGIII and an overaged, but for my money the best QB available in the draft in round 2- Weeden. I'll be the first to admit that RGIII confuses the heck out of me as a prospect. I want to see his true size, I'm not crazy about his throwing mechanics, but they're really not all that bad. Super smart kid, off the charts athlete. Gamer at crunch time with the money on the line. Plenty of sizzle to satisfy Stephen Ross, too- and that's not a bad thing, we could use the excitement around here, what a boring decade of football.

My first thought would be- is that just asking for trouble? Can they co-exist? Who knows. But if RGIII won the starting job, he's running the risk of getting the snot knocked out of him any given game. If Weeden won the starting job, the team could get creative with some packages to get RGIII in the game, and give opposing defenses some game plannning fits.

The fact of the matter is that I LOVE Weeden's arm and overall game- he's my #1 QB prospect. If he were younger- forget about it, he's my guy. If we could trade down in the 1st and take him- love it. Draft him in the 2nd- love it even more. Draft him top 10- that's pushing it, although I see the age arguments both ways. So an heir and a spare. Crockett and Tubbs. Whatever- the QB issue has been a 12 year flatulent cloud hovering over Miami. Ross wants some sizzle, has to compete with the Heat and Marlins, sell them tickets. Can't really blame the guy. I live down here and was born and raised down here- we could use some action, some excitement, some QB's. So roll the dice, pick a QB twice, at least one will end up nice- one of the most compelling, intelligent and athletic college QBs ever, and the other- Weeden- is one of the best QB prospects I've ever seen, with easily one of the best college QB arms I've ever seen- strength and accuracy included.

And the way the league is today, you want 2 good QBs- no disrespect to Matt Moore, who I like- but it's time to strike a dagger into the heart of this QB problem. So go for it- roll the bones. Said it before, I'll say it again- our pick will most likely be problematic with Claiborne and Blackmon likely to be gone. But RGIII with Weeden as an insurance policy, or vice versa? I'll buy that. Is it overkill? Maybe. I'd be perfectly happy with Weeden, alone, in the fold. Drafting RGIII alone would concern me. But if we did draft RGIII in the 1st rd and Weeden were available in the 2nd rd- he'd just be too damn good to pass up. Given Miami's QB history the last dozen years... do it like the military- if one is good, two is better. Roll them bones, create a buzz down here, get some excitement going. Sure as hell a better pick than Alshon Jeffery. Then look for OL and a TE in rds 3-5

Just to be clear about it- this hypothetical is about being able to draft both RGIII and Weeden in rds 1 and 2. My preference is Weeden, and my guess is that trading down in the 1st won't be easy for us and Weeden will very likely be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd rd- ergo the problem, unless you of course draft him top 10- talent wise no problem there imo, but the age issue... And I'd still be very happy with DeCastro in the 1st and Weeden in the 2nd- to me that would be a fantastic 1-2 punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c8Rlq8mIE8&feature=related

JCane
12-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if we passed on a QB.

tylerdolphin
12-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if we passed on a QB.

it shouldnt.

The Dolphins are like a retarded puppy that keeps pooping on the couch. You hold out hope that someday things will change, but you cant be surprised when you come home and the coach is caked in dog ****.

jim1
12-14-2011, 01:20 AM
it shouldnt.

The Dolphins are like a retarded puppy that keeps pooping on the couch. You hold out hope that someday things will change, but you cant be surprised when you come home and the coach is caked in dog ****.

There has to be some consideration- at least in my opinion- that getting a stud QB is not all that easy of an endeavor. It's not as if the FO didn't try last year- by all accounts Locker or Ponder would have been taken if available- I really liked Ponder, but seriously- who would really have traded up from #15 to take him? Hindsite is a wonderful tool that's unfortunatlely uesless at the relevant moment of truth...

If I was going to say screw it, damn it all, get the QB at all costs- I'd just go ahead and take Weeden with our 1st pick. The FO would of course get slammed for that, but I'd be fine with it- he's my top rated QB. The Drew Brees situation in 2000 or whatever year it was- yes I blame Wannstedt for not drafting him. Jake Long over Matt Ryan- no complaints here. Last year- who could seriously blame our FO? For what- not trading up for Gabbert or Ponder not being available? Not drafting Andy Dalton at #15? Again, the magic of hindsite...

tylerdolphin
12-14-2011, 01:32 AM
There has to be some consideration- at least in my opinion- that getting a stud QB is not all that easy of an endeavor. It's not as if the FO didn't try last year- by all accounts Locker or Ponder would have been taken if available- I really liked Ponder, but seriously- who would really have traded up from #15 to take him? Hindsite is a wonderful tool that's unfortunatlely uesless at the relevant moment of truth...

If I was going to say screw it, damn it all, get the QB at all costs- I'd just go ahead and take Weeden with our 1st pick. The FO would of course get slammed for that, but I'd be fine with it- he's my top rated QB. The Drew Brees situation in 2000 or whatever year it was- yes I blame Wannstedt for not drafting him. Jake Long over Matt Ryan- no complaints here. Last year- who could seriously blame our FO? For what- not trading up for Gabbert or Ponder not being available? Not drafting Andy Dalton at #15? Again, the magic of hindsite...

Thats the problem. They just sit at 15 or wherever and hope someone falls to them. If they really liked Locker as much as they say they did, you have to trade up and snag him. We also passed on Andy Dalton who has looked pretty good and didnt draft anyone late to develop. We havent been aggressive enough about addressing the issue. They need to find a guy they like and make damn sure they get him.

Gonzo
12-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Thats the problem. They just sit at 15 or wherever and hope someone falls to them. If they really liked Locker as much as they say they did, you have to trade up and snag him. We also passed on Andy Dalton who has looked pretty good and didnt draft anyone late to develop. We havent been aggressive enough about addressing the issue. They need to find a guy they like and make damn sure they get him.Exactly.

newlife2788
12-14-2011, 03:21 AM
No we need a QB, OL, Safety in that order.

JCane
12-14-2011, 03:23 AM
Thats the problem. They just sit at 15 or wherever and hope someone falls to them. If they really liked Locker as much as they say they did, you have to trade up and snag him. We also passed on Andy Dalton who has looked pretty good and didnt draft anyone late to develop. We havent been aggressive enough about addressing the issue. They need to find a guy they like and make damn sure they get him.

Yeap. Dolphins have a long long history of sitting on their hands and hoping for table scraps in the draft. They just hope that everything falls in the right place at the right time.

Dan Marino was taken with the 27th overall pick. Can you imagine what this franchise would be had Dan gone say #22.

This franchise might have some history, etc., but what it lacks is a huge set of balls.

jim1
12-14-2011, 08:34 AM

I'd be more in agreement with that if Locker made it to #9 and the Dallas pick- that looked like the spot to make a trade, #9 was a bit high for Tyron Smith. But I'd want to know how much the move would have cost- it's just hard for me to blame the FO for how the 1st rd went last draft.

hooshoops
12-14-2011, 10:04 AM
dallas was in love with tyron smith so i don't think there was any real chance they were trading out...and to take a gonna be 29 year old rookie qb in the top 10...it's nuts...flat out nuts

Tunaphish429
12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Ppl on this board are too hyped about drafting a qb..We have drafted one 3 years in a row.. Sometimes when you have too many qbs you have none..

If your gonna draft one, just draft one. Let it be known he is your guy.

DKphin
12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
If you take a big name in the first(RGIII, Barkley) and wait till the latter rounds to pick up an unknown, that is the way to go. The guy I like in the latter rds. is BJ Coleman. If you take the time to develop him, he could become a valuable asset.

thefranchisedef
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
quick question... how does drafting 2 quarterbacks early hinder both of their development?

jim1
12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
quick question... how does drafting 2 quarterbacks early hinder both of their development?

Practice reps, playing time, the confidence and comfort of each feeling that they're "the guy". Who does the team back as the leader?

There's some baggage there- personally I'd rather just have Weeden and go DeCastro/Weeden. But if you can draft both and may the best man win... I'm not exactly in love with the concept, but it increases the chances of the Dolphins solving the post Marino QB dilemma, and would create some excitement down here.

hooshoops
12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
using your top 2 picks back to back on qbs is garbage...all you're trying to do is hedge your bets...the bottom line is if you don't have a conviction about a qb in the first place you shouldn't be burning that high pick on one...period...you don't go back to back with rg3 and weeden...you go get one or the other and he's "your guy"...you gonna take weeden to be your 2 down qb and rg3 to be your wildcat and gimmick guy??? please...teams that do or even consider that kind of stuff are teams that don't have a starting qb worth a hoot in the first place...

and all i know is if you take weeden in the top 10 you are bidding against yourself...you're much better off going the bpa route at another position and then coming back to weeden at the top of round 2 if he's your poison...no ones gonna be competing with you in the top 10 for a soon to be 29 year old qb...they may late in round 1 (which i still doubt) or early round 2 but not the top 10...and i wouldn't let anyone scare me into thinking they would...

ckparrothead
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Because there are only so many practice reps and game reps to go around. There's only so many coaching hours you can put into the kind of special projects you need to undergo with younger players when they need work on some things...and Robert Griffin needs to undergo a few more of those special projects than most quarterbacks.

ckparrothead
12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I am not for using our top 2 picks on quarterbacks regardless of how much I love Brandon Weeden.

However, if Hayden Fox's Mel Kiper-sponsored prediction ends up correct that Brandon Weeden falls into the 4th or 5th round...I would pull the trigger. Value is value. You can't pass up that kind of value.

jim1
12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
You just don't get it, do you? Weeden might very well not be available by the Dolphins' pick in rd 2. If you don't think that the Redskins, given their needs and Mike Shanahan's preferences at the position, are going to look long and hard at Weeden with their 2nd rd pick- then I just can't help you. And some other teams could very well be tempted in the late 1st and early second rounds. Maneuvering with our first pick on through to the 2nd round isn't necessarily easy to do, by any means. No guarantees. You obviously whiffed on the Ohklahoma game as per Weeden, so maybe you should try to watch it again, for the first time, whatever if that game soured you on Weeden.

Some can think outside of the box, some cannot. Did you think that it was "flat out nuts" for the Broncos to draft Tebow where they did? How's that pick looking to you now? Still "flat out nuts"? How about Ponder- did you have him going in the first round? Top 15? Top 12? How's that pick looking now? I was pounding the table for Ponder, and concerned over the Vikings pick- because he was that good. Weeden- is that good. In his eigth year in the league he'll be turning 36- big deal. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker.

My ideal situation is to draft Weeden- if he were to be available in the 2nd rd for us, that would be fantastic. Given the need at QB, given the infusion of energy that sofla could use as per the Dolphins, I could live with doubling up with RGIII/Weeden and letting it play out. Not an ideal situation, but I'd take it over just RGIII. Maybe it doesn't work, but maybe we would have a greater chance of finally getting our stud QB.

ps- as to avoid confusion, this is adressed to post #17.

jim1
12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
I am not for using our top 2 picks on quarterbacks regardless of how much I love Brandon Weeden.

However, if Hayden Fox's Mel Kiper-sponsored prediction ends up correct that Brandon Weeden falls into the 4th or 5th round...I would pull the trigger. Value is value. You can't pass up that kind of value.

It's not my first choice by any means, but if the Fins felt compelled to take RGIII in the 1st rd and Weeden was available for our 2nd pick- in all likelihood I'm taking him. Here's a question for you- assume your guy Barkley is gone and you can't maneuver down in the 1st rd or up in the 2nd rd without it cosing a fortune. Assume that Claiborne and Blackmon are gone. What do you do? You made a great aergument for taking Weeden, but my guess is that you personally wouldn't. Obviously trading down in the 1st would be great. Buit if hypothetically Barkley is gone and it's either Weeden with the 1st pick or not at all- what do you do?

It's not that simple I know, but I just don't feel that he'll be available by the time we pick in the 2nd rd- and for a Weeden fan, that opens up a big old can of worms.

hooshoops
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
You just don't get it, do you? Weeden might very well not be available by the Dolphins' pick in rd 2. If you don't think that the Redskins, given their needs and Mike Shanahan's preferences at the position, are going to look long and hard at Weeden with their 2nd rd pick- then I just can't help you. And some other teams could very well be tempted in the late 1st and early second rounds. Maneuvering with our first pick on through to the 2nd round isn't necessarily easy to do, by any means. No guarantees. You obviously whiffed on the Ohklahoma game as per Weeden, so maybe you should try to watch it again, for the first time, whatever if that game soured you on Weeden.

Some can think outside of the box, some cannot. Did you think that it was "flat out nuts" for the Broncos to draft Tebow where they did? How's that pick looking to you now? Still "flat out nuts"? How about Ponder- did you have him going in the first round? Top 15? Top 12? How's that pick looking now? I was pounding the table for Ponder, and concerned over the Vikings pick- because he was that good. Weeden- is that good. In his eigth year in the league he'll be turning 36- big deal. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker.

My ideal situation is to draft Weeden- if he were to be available in the 2nd rd for us, that would be fantastic. Given the need at QB, given the infusion of energy that sofla could use as per the Dolphins, I could live with doubling up with RGIII/Weeden and letting it play out. Not an ideal situation, but I'd take it over just RGIII. Maybe it doesn't work, but maybe we would have a greater chance of finally getting our stud QB.

ps- as to avoid confusion, this is adressed to post #17.

taking a 29 year old qb in the top 10 or going back to back with your top 2 picks on qbs is the definition of whiffing...and good god stop patting yourself on the back for ponder...he's looked solid not special by any means so far...but not a lost cause like gabbert either...

and tebow keep passing the ball at a 35 percent clip in the first 3 quarters of every game and see how long the honeymoon last...