PDA

View Full Version : Draft Priorities

Generic Name
12-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I think QB, Pass rusher, TE and FS plus more depth at corner far outweigh the needs for drafting O -line this year.

Offensive line parts (which is all the right guard and tackle positions are) can be found later in the draft, through free agency and even as roster cuts are made in August.

If I were the new regime I would not waste high picks on offensive linemen. you're more likely to get quality skill position players at a low cost rather than paying a free agent at the QB, WR, TE or FS spots.

The draft is not about getting the "best available player" its about getting a player who can offer the most impact at a need position.

Right guard does not fit, and will never fit, that bill.

MRojas4
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I believe Jerry will be taking over at either RG or RT so that should slim down our O line needs (apart from depth).

LT - Long
LG - Incognito
C - Pouncey
RG - Jerry/Carey
RT - Jerry/Carey

greasyObnoxious
12-15-2011, 12:45 PM
i think our incompetence at HC hurt our OL play just as much, but we could use some depth players in the draft. between Long, Garner, Pouncey, Jerry, Carey, Incognito and Murtha we should be able to field an average Ol next year. should

ckparrothead
12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Weird contradiction. You're targeting which positions we should grab and which we should not, and also saying this draft should be all about "best available player".

Priorities don't match up with rounds. Your first priority is the quarterback position but that doesn't mean it's your 1st round pick. If you decide that Brandon Weeden is your guy in the 2nd round and you've checked around and made sure you can get him there, then so be it.

I think the Dolphins have some work to do at pass rusher, offensive line, cornerback, strong safety and tailback. They could also use another body at tight end.

Some things need to be torn down before they're built back up.

Generic Name
12-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Weird contradiction. You're targeting which positions we should grab and which we should not, and also saying this draft should be all about "best available player".

Priorities don't match up with rounds. Your first priority is the quarterback position but that doesn't mean it's your 1st round pick. If you decide that Brandon Weeden is your guy in the 2nd round and you've checked around and made sure you can get him there, then so be it.

I think the Dolphins have some work to do at pass rusher, offensive line, cornerback, strong safety and tailback. They could also use another body at tight end.

I just don't believe the "best available player" for us in this offseason could ever be a right guard. I don't think this O-line needs to be torn down, just fortified. and that fortification can't come with high draft picks because we have other needs which are much more pressing because those positions offer more impact.

I look at most succesful teams like Steelers and Pats, Saints etc and they are not obsessing every year about fixing the one or two positions on their O-lines which are weak through the top 3 rounds of the draft. They fix them other ways and go out and draft skill position guys for the most part.

I think this offense would be so much better with an athletic TE who is bigger than Clay and faster than Fasano. That's doable but not if you waste a pick in second or third round on a RG or RT.

Ironically this is the one year where we're in striking distance (seemingly) of nabbing a top QB. they have to do it.

I think the Dolphins under Sparano had the same mentality as many in here that we "have" to grab this OL or that RG. It has cost us tremendously

MRojas4
12-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't care what it takes, Barkley or RGIII please.

FO needs to grow a pair and make a solid move for either of these two.

Kdawg954
12-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't care what it takes, Barkley or RGIII please.

FO needs to grow a pair and make a solid move for either of these two.

I agree, last year I was less for it because of a new OC and not trading away future picks for the potential next regime . . . this year you gotta swing for the fence with Barkley . . . even if that 2013 pick is in play. Get your QB, bring back Matt Moore and hopefully Devlin proves his worth these final 3 games. I guess Henne is in the mix as well, but being a FA why would he sign here . . . even still would be nice to have those 4 guys in camp next year.

After that you move on. Definitely need another pass rusher and a OL. I agree with another body at TE, a CB and a Safety but I'd honestly trade most of this draft to guarantee Luck or Barkley

Generic Name
12-15-2011, 05:32 PM

I disagree with you on one point, they don't need just another body at TE. they need a starter who can stretch the field the way the 2 Pats TEs do, and the way Graham, Keller, and Finley do. Fasano is a good TE but not good enough to make this an explosive offense.

ckparrothead
12-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I disagree with you on one point, they don't need just another body at TE. they need a starter who can stretch the field the way the 2 Pats TEs do, and the way Graham, Keller, and Finley do. Fasano is a good TE but not good enough to make this an explosive offense.

It's all based on availability. It's not a need. Anyone in the NFL can use a Tight End like Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley. Let me know when you find one and if I don't have to pay through the nose for him, I'll take him.

Outside of that I don't feel the need to use a high quality resource on sort of a ho-hum starter at the position. I like Anthony Fasano, think he's very underrated, and I think Charles Clay serves a valuable role and can be a heck of a player. He handled the ball a LOT at Tulsa, scored a LOT of touchdowns and gained a LOT of yards. He was a guy they featured. And this year, he's playing like that wasn't a coincidence.

I was extremely high on Jimmy Graham. If I saw an opportunity like that again I would be all over it. Next year for instance, if the Dolphins get a whack at Joe Fauria, I'd really have to think about it. But outside of finding a guy that really speaks to you, I don't see a need to where we need to set aside a 2nd or 3rd round pick and say "this has to be a TE".

Let me find you two guys, I can guarantee they'll be cheap, and I can guarantee at least one will get the job done. Just have to be smart about it.

Generic Name
12-15-2011, 08:08 PM
It's all based on availability. It's not a need. Anyone in the NFL can use a Tight End like Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley. Let me know when you find one and if I don't have to pay through the nose for him, I'll take him.

Outside of that I don't feel the need to use a high quality resource on sort of a ho-hum starter at the position. I like Anthony Fasano, think he's very underrated, and I think Charles Clay serves a valuable role and can be a heck of a player. He handled the ball a LOT at Tulsa, scored a LOT of touchdowns and gained a LOT of yards. He was a guy they featured. And this year, he's playing like that wasn't a coincidence.

I was extremely high on Jimmy Graham. If I saw an opportunity like that again I would be all over it. Next year for instance, if the Dolphins get a whack at Joe Fauria, I'd really have to think about it. But outside of finding a guy that really speaks to you, I don't see a need to where we need to set aside a 2nd or 3rd round pick and say "this has to be a TE".

Let me find you two guys, I can guarantee they'll be cheap, and I can guarantee at least one will get the job done. Just have to be smart about it.

There has to be a mindset change. You can't go into a draft and say as Miami did, and say ' I like Jimmy Graham but not before the 4th round."
If your value board tells you that John Jerry or whatever OL you like is more valuable than a pro-Bowl caliber TE your team is hosed.

You say anyone in the league can use a Gronk or Finley. Yeah, the smart ones are realizing the value of TE's and being proactive about it. second and third rounds are good places to find the superb athletes who can be difference makers at the next level.

The team has to be committed to doing it unlike Parcells, Sparano and Ireland were

hooshoops
12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
There has to be a mindset change. You can't go into a draft and say as Miami did, and say ' I like Jimmy Graham but not before the 4th round."
If your value board tells you that John Jerry or whatever OL you like is more valuable than a pro-Bowl caliber TE your team is hosed.

You say anyone in the league can use a Gronk or Finley. Yeah, the smart ones are realizing the value of TE's and being proactive about it. second and third rounds are good places to find the superb athletes who can be difference makers at the next level.

The team has to be committed to doing it unlike Parcells, Sparano and Ireland were

you do realize ireland is still here i take it...and as long as he is in the building and in charge of the draft i wouldn't hold my breath on them valuing a mismatch athletic seam threat te...