PDA

View Full Version : RG3 Comment

LouPhinFan
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
The NFL—where he’ll likely be a top 10 pick—can wait.

“You gotta have a plan, but realize that plans don’t always work out. Plan B is the NFL (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-12-14/robert-griffin-iii-named-sporting-news-player-of-the-year#),” Griffin says. “Whenever you ask me what are my plans, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is not to be an NFL player. I want to go to law school, I want to be a lawyer, maybe a sports agent. That’s the plan. All of that other stuff doesn’t matter until I’m done here at Baylor.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-12-14/robert-griffin-iii-named-sporting-news-player-of-the-year

:err: Uh, yeah. No thanks on the Baylor kid. We need to move on and concentrate on getting Matt Barkley.

hooshoops
12-15-2011, 11:35 PM
yeesh...is that comment from today or something??? sure doesn't sound committed to playin pro football...

VAMinnow
12-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Yea, there was a whole article on grantland the other day on RGiii. It had similar quotes. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7332286/heisman-winner

Griffin seems to relish his overachievement, the clearing of various obstacles, not to mention the bevy of options he now has: Between law school and a final year of eligibility at Baylor and the potential of becoming an Olympic sprinter and the NFL draft (not to mention his engagement to a girl he met at Baylor), he has, as he says, many doors, and he insists the NFL is the last of those doors.

Article did come back to say this:

I don't know if Griffin will put professional football aside for one more season at Baylor, or if he will put professional football aside for a shot at the Olympics, or if he will someday put aside professional football to become a lawyer or politician. I honestly don't think he knows what his future holds at this point. "I can't lose focus, because I've got so much lined up," he says. "There's so much pressure on me to be successful. And that's matched by the pressure I put on myself."

I feel like he is a smart kid that may be over playing his hand here. It's like he's trying not to be over anxious. I think once his name is called in the top 10, he'll take on that leadership role he had at Baylor. Yea, these are kinda red flags. But, a good kind of red flag. At least he's not stealing lap tops or accepting money from boosters.

LouPhinFan
12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
yeesh...is that comment from today or something??? sure doesn't sound committed to playin pro football...

Not it doesn't.

LouPhinFan
12-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Yea, there was a whole article on grantland the other day on RGiii. It had similar quotes. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7332286/heisman-winner

Article did come back to say this:

I feel like he is a smart kid that may be over playing his hand here. It's like he's trying not to be over anxious. I think once his name is called in the top 10, he'll take on that leadership role he had at Baylor. Yea, these are kinda red flags. But, a good kind of red flag. At least he's not stealing lap tops or accepting money from boosters.

IMO it's even more of a red flag than the laptop theft. After watching Newton play this season, I don't care whose laptop he had or how much money Auburn gave him. It has not effected on his play at the pro level. Not being focused on being the best franchise QB you can be, that's much more of a red flag than something that happened when a kid was 19 years old.

If the kid wants to say he wants to be a lawyer or a sports agent then that's fine but he better say that right after saying "I want to be the best franchise QB I can be and lead my team to multiple Superbowls, then after that..."

VAMinnow
12-16-2011, 12:46 AM
No doubt, he's going to regret those comments. I just don't think he means them as much as he is saying them. To me, he's trying to present himself as better than just a NFL athlete. Wait until he gets an agent and an interview coach and see how his statements change.

Also, I'm not trying to be some rg3 defender. I just have this weird feeling that this is who we end up with, so I am probably being erroneously apologetic for him.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 01:27 AM
There's a lot of disturbing stuff in this article.

STRONG buyer beware on Robert Griffin. To him, football is just a game, and the NFL is just a business. That's fine for a human being but as an NFL franchise you're not looking for great human beings, you're hunting for great assets. I hate to de-humanize it that way but it's the truth. You read his thoughts about what the NFL is and what it means, read him talk about how it's not very important to him, it's a Plan B, all these other things come first.

If I draft him, I'm almost more afraid of him having success than him not having success. If he has success he gets to decide to walk out on this petty "spectacle" (his own words) on his terms, as a conqueror. He gets to move on (now with lots of money from his rookie contract) to bigger, better and more important things. He knows football is just a game, the NFL is just a business, that it doesn't mean much. He'll get what he wants out of it and then bolt.

The more I read about him the more I admire him as a human being, and the more I'm wary of him as an NFL franchise's asset.

MadDog 88
12-16-2011, 03:19 AM
I disagree. He is driven to be successful at whichever endeavor he pursuits. This kid has a Masters at the age of 21 while playing football. That by itself is an incredible accomplishment. If he opts to enter the NFL draft I see him coming as fully committed, not one who will run away to do something else. The question is, will he enter the draft?

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 03:34 AM
I disagree. He is driven to be successful at whichever endeavor he pursuits. This kid has a Masters at the age of 21 while playing football. That by itself is an incredible accomplishment. If he opts to enter the NFL draft I see him coming as fully committed, not one who will run away to do something else. The question is, will he enter the draft?

He'll be committed, but for how long? That commitment isn't indefinite. What happens if he struggles like a Rich Gannon and has to keep his head down, keep working and get through it until he 'gets it'? Is he going to outlast his rookie contract (which as a top 5 pick would pay him $20 million and set him for life), knowing full well that the NFL was always "just a spectacle" and always just his "Plan B"?

He could be out of the NFL in 5 years, of his own choice, with $20 million in the bank, heading back to law school.

MadDog 88
12-16-2011, 03:44 AM
He'll be committed, but for how long? That commitment isn't indefinite. What happens if he struggles like a Rich Gannon and has to keep his head down, keep working and get through it until he 'gets it'? Is he going to outlast his rookie contract (which as a top 5 pick would pay him $20 million and set him for life), knowing full well that the NFL was always "just a spectacle" and always just his "Plan B"?

He could be out of the NFL in 5 years, of his own choice, with $20 million in the bank, heading back to law school.The same is true of any top prospect. Not necessarily in these terms but medically or inability to transition. Like any selection it's a risk but if he commits and he's your man, you take that chance.

Hayden Fox
12-16-2011, 06:20 AM
I am a huge RGIII guy and that quote does bother me.

There are so many other ways to say that your education is important to you and what not and a potential NFL career could be short so an education is important.

That is why we have the draft process for the next few months.

NorFlaFin
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM
RGIII is starting to sound like Myron Rolle; meaning he wants more out of life then just football.

Good luck to them both.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM

^^^This.

The guy has his life in order = POSITIVE. He realizes that the NFL isn't the only option he has. When a person isn't forced into something because they have no other choices, i.e. nearly every NFL player, they will become disgruntled.

These comments make me want the guy even more. Why? Because if he does choose football he will do so because he WANTS to and not because he HAS to.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 10:21 AM

He could be out of the NFL in 5 years, of his own choice, with $20 million in the bank, heading back to law school.

You're missing the trees for the forest. IF he chooses football he will do so because he wants to do so and if this kid is the person everyone thinks he is, he'll give 100%. The same as if he chooses Law School etc.

MRojas4
12-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Let me get this straight.

We are bashing some kid for realizing there is more to life than football? Geee....let me not draft him.

Rather have some kid that will play football because it is what he WANTS to do, not because it's his only method of survival like most other football players who leave early with no college degree.

And for those saying if he struggles he will just give up and call it quits. I highly doubt he will just give up, kid has too much heart, and even if he calls it quits, would you rather have a man recognize that the NFL life is not what he wants, or get some struggling QB day in and out hang around because NFL is all he has.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Let me get this straight.

We are bashing some kid for realizing there is more to life than football? Geee....let me not draft him.

Rather have some kid that will play football because it is what he WANTS to do, not because it's his only method of survival like most other football players who leave early with no college degree.

And for those saying if he struggles he will just give up and call it quits. I highly doubt he will just give up, kid has too much heart, and even if he calls it quits, would you rather have a man recognize that the NFL life is not what he wants, or get some struggling QB day in and out hang around because NFL is all he has.

It seems that most football fans hate players who haev other things going for them or are just good people. RGIII is a CLASS act, super intelligent, hard working, freakishly athletic, and an all around team player. Just because he has other options doesn't mean that if he chooses the NFL he won't give it 100%. IMO it means he complete opposite. (See my above posts)

Just like Tebow is hard working, team player, athletic, etc etc...but because he believes in God he's disliked. I just don't get it.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 12:09 PM
The same is true of any top prospect. Not necessarily in these terms but medically or inability to transition. Like any selection it's a risk but if he commits and he's your man, you take that chance.

I disagree. Other prospects don't make it quite so clear that the NFL is just a sideshow for them, just a "Plan B".

And he has medical risk ON TOP OF this kind of risk.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 12:10 PM
RGIII is starting to sound like Myron Rolle; meaning he wants more out of life then just football.

Good luck to them both.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And what happened to Myron? Drafted in the 7th round, already out of the league and pursuing all those things other than football.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 12:12 PM
You're missing the trees for the forest. IF he chooses football he will do so because he wants to do so and if this kid is the person everyone thinks he is, he'll give 100%. The same as if he chooses Law School etc.

I disagree. If he chooses the NFL it's because of money, and once he gets enough of it to do the things that he wants to do aside from the NFL, he could easily quit. He said it himself, the NFL is just something that you "can't say no to" if it's offered. It's not important to him. It's not meaningful.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
It seems that most football fans hate players who haev other things going for them or are just good people. RGIII is a CLASS act, super intelligent, hard working, freakishly athletic, and an all around team player. Just because he has other options doesn't mean that if he chooses the NFL he won't give it 100%. IMO it means he complete opposite. (See my above posts)

Just like Tebow is hard working, team player, athletic, etc etc...but because he believes in God he's disliked. I just don't get it.

LMFAO. Right. Yeah. That's definitely MY motivation, I don't know about anyone else...

Forgive me while I roll my eyes so hard they explode.

OrlandoFin
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Didn't Andrew Luck go back to school to get his architectural degree from Stanford this year? I'm not sure how I feel about RG3 as an NFL QB but I don't think I would question the guys dedication because he sees life outside of football where the average length of a career of a QB is is 4.4 years.

hooshoops
12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
myron rolle wasn't very talented to begin with...but i see the thought process similarities

i don't care what anyone says...talkin like that is a red flag...

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Didn't Andrew Luck go back to school to get his architectural degree from Stanford this year? I'm not sure how I feel about RG3 as an NFL QB but I don't think I would question the guys dedication because he sees life outside of football where the average length of a career of a QB is is 4.4 years.

Going back to school an extra year to get your degree and talking about how there will be life AFTER football...is different from calling it your "Plan B" and calling it the "last door"...something you only do because of this sense that if it's offered you "can't say no".

OrlandoFin
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Going back to school an extra year to get your degree and talking about how there will be life AFTER football...is different from calling it your "Plan B" and calling it the "last door"...something you only do because of this sense that if it's offered you "can't say no".

Gotta disagree, Luck would have been the first pick, so seems like going back for that degree was plan A and going to the NFL was plan B. I'm not questioning Luck's dedication, just as I am not questioning RG3's dedication. They are both smart kids/men and understand there is more than football and there are no guarantees in what the game and life in general brings. Who knows how it's going to play out, but I don't see it as a red flag.

hooshoops
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
what luck did and what rg3 is sayin are no where near the same thing...

Locke
12-16-2011, 12:44 PM

He's disliked because he can't shut his damn mouth about his faith. No one gives a sh*t that he's a Christian. It's the largest religion in the U.S., half of all NFL players are probably also Christian. If he stopped mentioning it every single time he has a microphone anywhere near his head, more people would be on board with his unique way of winning. Nothing polarizes people more than politics and religion. I seriously can't believe people don't understand that.

I've never been a fan of RG3 at the NFL level, but when you add this to it, he'd be off of my Big Board completely if I were GM...

Ed Norton
12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
This is a disaster for the Dolphins if he doesn't come out. There are several QBs that I want ahead of him but what hurts the Dolphins is RG3 could go to a team that needs a QB in front of them and leave maybe Barkley or Weeden on the board and they won't be able to bluff anybody that would accept another QB . People are eating this stuff up of how atheltic and smart this good kid is.

It's like hey Rick (Speilman he's still in MN right?) I'd love to trade up to grab Barkley but RG3 is pretty good too and if we stay here I think we can get him and improve our O Line, TE whatever with those picks you want, how about picks blah blah blah instead.

Without RG3 Rick, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't bend us over and take God knows how many picks to trade up.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I think some people here are being far too casual in dismissing these quotes as OBVIOUS red flags.

He already suffered a concussion against Texas Tech. What if he suffers a serious concussion in the NFL? If he's got $20 million in the bank from his rookie contract, and his ultimate goal is Law School, not the NFL, and he suffers a concussion or two...he's bolting. I've seen the point raised many times, most recently by Cris Collinsworth, guys that suggest that as a result of their playing days and the concussions, having their "bell rung", etc...they can't think as well, their memory recall isn't the same.

The statements coming out of him are very Ricky Williams-like, very Robert Smith-like. Robert Smith quit football at Ohio State and then quit the NFL at 28 years old. Ricky Williams quit the NFL in his prime. I've heard it suggested, I have to try and confirm this, but I've now heard that Robert Griffin had to be convinced by his Baylor coaches to even play this year instead of going to Law School.

When you mix unusually introspective with having goals that you consider a lot more important than the NFL...you have a recipe for an NFL disaster.

Football is a business. The draft is about acquiring the most valuable football asset possible. It's not "hating" on a guy to acknowledge that he might not love or want football enough to be a valuable, dependable football asset. It's quite understandable on a human level. But Mother Theresa throws like a girl, and Albert Einstein can't beat a cover two with a pass rush in his face. We're not drafting remarkable people, we're drafting remarkable football assets.

mfish41
12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
money talks everything else walks. Robert Griffin III will play in the NFL you all are grasping at hypothetical straws.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 02:07 PM
money talks everything else walks. Robert Griffin III will play in the NFL you all are grasping at hypothetical straws.

Ricky Williams and Robert Smith disagree with you.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I disagree. If he chooses the NFL it's because of money, and once he gets enough of it to do the things that he wants to do aside from the NFL, he could easily quit. He said it himself, the NFL is just something that you "can't say no to" if it's offered. It's not important to him. It's not meaningful.

Who are you, Miss Cleo? How can you presume to know his reasons for going to the NFL? haha

If he later decides that the NFL is what he wants he'll go. If it's Law School, he'll go. Just because he realizes that the NFL is a GAME doesn't mean he won't give 100% to the game.

Bottom line, the kid is smart, talented, driven, a model citizen and a team player. If he declares for the draft and falls to us I'll be extremely happy.

Hayden Fox
12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
If we are talking about commitment level than we better red flag Weeden in that he elected to play baseball before football. Evidently, football was his fallback option. Baseball must have been his true love.

Just another red flag for Weeden.

Hayden Fox
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
The interviews will tell about RGIII's commitment level. I am taken aback a bit, but that is why we have the process for.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 02:30 PM
He's disliked because he can't shut his damn mouth about his faith. No one gives a sh*t that he's a Christian. It's the largest religion in the U.S., half of all NFL players are probably also Christian. If he stopped mentioning it every single time he has a microphone anywhere near his head, more people would be on board with his unique way of winning. Nothing polarizes people more than politics and religion. I seriously can't believe people don't understand that.

I've never been a fan of RG3 at the NFL level, but when you add this to it, he'd be off of my Big Board completely if I were GM...

I love how angry some people get about religion. :lol:

I've rarely heard Tebow talk ABOUT his religious beliefs when he wasn't asked about them first. Have you heard him trying to convert anyone? Has he tried to convert you? I've heard him proclaim his love for God, so what?

If it makes you so angry turn the volume down. :D

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
If we are talking about commitment level than we better red flag Weeden in that he elected to play baseball before football. Evidently, football was his fallback option. Baseball must have been his true love.

"Ruh Roh Raggy!"

LouPhinFan
12-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Perhaps it raises a red flag on how much wear there is on his shoulder, but it doesn't raise a flag for me on his commitment. He's not choosing between football and baseball right this moment. He's been there - done that with baseball, there is only football left for him. That's his only choice other than not playing football at all after this season. And so far I haven't heard any comments like RG3's from him, so I dont' have any commitment flags at this point from him.

Locke
12-16-2011, 02:37 PM

I don't know if Weeden banged your wife, ran over your dog, stole your bud light, or whatever, but your disdain for the guy is bordering on creepy. It's like you're saying stuff simply to disagree with others, not even necessarily because you believe it. I'm not taking sides either. I just read this forum for the varying takes on these prospects from knowledgeable posters. I couldn't care less who or what the source of that information is. Objectively speaking, you're making a fool or yourself by posting junk like this...

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't know if Weeden banged your wife, ran over your dog, stole your bud light, or whatever, but your disdain for the guy is bordering on creepy. It's like you're saying stuff simply to disagree with others, not even necessarily because you believe it. I'm not taking sides either. I just read this forum for the varying takes on these prospects from knowledgeable posters. I couldn't care less who or what the source of that information is. Objectively speaking, you're making a fool or yourself by posting junk like this...

That's your opinion.

I happen to agree with HaydenFox.

Locke
12-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I love how angry some people get about religion. :lol:

I've rarely heard Tebow talk ABOUT his religious beliefs when he wasn't asked about them first. Have you heard him trying to convert anyone? Has he tried to convert you? I've heard him proclaim his love for God, so what?

If it makes you so angry turn the volume down. :D

I'm not going to get into it. People like you refuse to understand the reasoning behind people being annoyed. You prefer to play the persecuted victim card when it has absolutely nothing to do with it. That's the last I'll say on the topic. This thread isn't about Tebow...

Locke
12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Perhaps it raises a red flag on how much wear there is on his shoulder, but it doesn't raise a flag for me on his commitment. He's not choosing between football and baseball right this moment. He's been there - done that with baseball, there is only football left for him. That's his only choice other than not playing football at all after this season. And so far I haven't heard any comments like RG3's from him, so I dont' have any commitment flags at this point from him.

I agree with you here. There's a difference between playing another sport first and coming out and pretty much saying playing in the NFL is nice but not what you picture yourself doing. Obviously that's paraphrased, but it seems to be pretty much what he said. If I am investing my future in a QB, I want that guy to live and breathe football. This guy is going to be the face of the franchise, will directly effect the success level of your team, which has a direct impact on public perception and revenue. Pretty much, this is the most important decision a franchise can make. I'm not going to choose the guy who doesn't really want to be here but is trying it because it's a nice opportunity...

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Not really. Baseball was indeed his first love and first choice, but anyone that has followed him, talked to him or had a lot of exposure to him knows that more than anything, he's a sports nut. Sports are his life. And right now, football is his ONLY professional option as a sport. I would agree with you if baseball were still an option. But it's not. Baseball is not taking him back. He couldn't go back even if he wanted to. He'll play football until that option is no longer feasible, and then like Dan Marino, he'll take up golf and perhaps broadcasting. But he's not good enough at golf to be a pro or to have it be a threat to his football career.

Let me put it this way. Let's say Robert Griffin tries to go to law school instead of the NFL, and he busts out of it, or is disbarred for some reason. He tries to make a comeback to the NFL at 28 years old. Too old to be playing around with the idea of competing in the Olympics, and banned from practicing law for life.

At that point, I'm not questioning Griffin's commitment to the NFL anymore. This would be his last shot, the only thing he's got, and he's got to make it work.

That's the situation Brandon Weeden is in, and it's therefore really a humongous stretch to claim he's got some commitment red flags. Unfortunately, Robert Griffin is in a different situation. He's still young, all of the options are still laid before him, he's really not exhausted ANY of his options yet...and so he could still realistically make a choice that whichever team drafts him isn't happy with.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not going to get into it. People like you refuse to understand the reasoning behind people being annoyed. You prefer to play the persecuted victim card when it has absolutely nothing to do with it. That's the last I'll say on the topic. This thread isn't about Tebow...

And people like you refuse to believe that a person should be allowed to say "I love Jesus Christ" and not be hated for it. People like you would rather get angry and whine than just turn the volume down. People like you enjoy getting annoyed when other people don't fall in lock-step ( :chuckle: ) with their (non) beliefs.

Grow up and realize that WORDS... in particular NICE words...harm no one. ;)

WelcomeBack
12-16-2011, 02:53 PM
And people like you refuse to believe that a person should be allowed to say "I love Jesus Christ" and not be hated for it. People like you would rather get angry and whine than just turn the volume down. People like you enjoy getting annoyed when other people don't fall in lock-step ( :chuckle: ) with their (non) beliefs.

Grow up and realize that WORDS... in particular NICE words...harm no one. ;)

I just dislike Tebow because "Tebow-Time" should be "Broncos-Time". A majority of those wins came because the defense kept the team in it and gave Tebow the shot to be average enough to get Matt Prater within his 51-59 yard field goal ranges.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Alright guys I think Locke said it best, this isn't a Tebow thread.

Although it's interesting that Griffin himself commented on it in the article. He said:

And then, in discussing the spectacle, he brought up Tim Tebow. Griffin said he'll argue with his friends about anything other than politics or religion, but when I told him you couldn't separate Tebow and his faith at this point, he nodded, mentioned the "Tebowing thing," said he was rooting for Tebow, and then told me about a disagreement he had with his mom. He told her there were different kinds of Christians, and she said no, and Griffin told me she's the type of person who will say, "Have a blessed day," and he's the type who might not invite you to church but will bring you with him if you ask.

"I don't have to constantly throw it in their face," he says. "I'm a believer."

MadDog 88
I disagree. Other prospects don't make it quite so clear that the NFL is just a sideshow for them, just a "Plan B".

And he has medical risk ON TOP OF this kind of risk.I should have clarified a little better. Any prospect is a risk whether it's a severe injury, inability to perform at the NFL level, mental instability, criminal behavior, etc. This is an unusual situation but I think if he commits, he'll stick with it unless he falls into one of the categories I listed. I think he is a tremendous talent that if he opts for the draft, hopefully isvon the Dolphins draft board. This would be the splash Ross is looking to make as well.

SIDE NOTE: That was a nice call on Yates going back 18 months or so. You convinced me that the Fins should have took a shot at him. Granted its only two games but he looked pretty damn good in both.

mnphinfan

The two don't even relate. Weeden can't play baseball anymore and his only shot in pro sports/set his family up for life is the NFL. He doesn't have the pleuthora of options Griffen has (olympics, law school, NFL) and Griffen's comments show that he may not be 100% committed to not being an NFL QB. Weeden on the other hand is and has said so numerous times. In terms of red flags Weeden has two, his age and his shoulder. He happens however to throw a better ball than every current possible draft selection so the shoulder may not be a problem. The rest of his development comes down to him being able to play at the speed of the NFL game. Stop being an *** just because you want to ruffle CK's feather's for putting you in your place when you claimed his opinion or any others' wasn't valid because he/they are not an NFL insider and don't agree with every article you try to post as fact that agree's with your agenda. You come across as trivial, juvenile and unprepared expecially when CK has the hours of film study to back his opinions where you basically use someone else's work to back yours.

LouPhinFan
12-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I started this thread to discuss RG3's comments, not the polarization caused by Tim Tebow's Christianity. If you want to discuss that, take it to the Serious Forums sections. Believe me Locke would be happy to discuss it with you there. Lord knows he and I have had plenty of discussions about religion and politics in those forums. :lol:

1972fins
12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Not really. Baseball was indeed his first love and first choice, but anyone that has followed him, talked to him or had a lot of exposure to him knows that more than anything, he's a sports nut. Sports are his life. And right now, football is his ONLY professional option as a sport. I would agree with you if baseball were still an option. But it's not. Baseball is not taking him back. He couldn't go back even if he wanted to. He'll play football until that option is no longer feasible, and then like Dan Marino, he'll take up golf and perhaps broadcasting. But he's not good enough at golf to be a pro or to have it be a threat to his football career.

Let me put it this way. Let's say Robert Griffin tries to go to law school instead of the NFL, and he busts out of it, or is disbarred for some reason. He tries to make a comeback to the NFL at 28 years old. Too old to be playing around with the idea of competing in the Olympics, and banned from practicing law for life.

At that point, I'm not questioning Griffin's commitment to the NFL anymore. This would be his last shot, the only thing he's got, and he's got to make it work.

That's the situation Brandon Weeden is in, and it's therefore really a humongous stretch to claim he's got some commitment red flags. Unfortunately, Robert Griffin is in a different situation. He's still young, all of the options are still laid before him, he's really not exhausted ANY of his options yet...and so he could still realistically make a choice that whichever team drafts him isn't happy with.

I heard RGIII being interviewed and he impressed me, I believe that if he chooses the NFL he'll give it 100% he seems to come across as a guy with alot of integrity not the type of guy that would use the NFL to line his pockets and head to law school but we are all guessing what this guy is about.
CK I do get your point is just that we are not used to football players talking like that.
Luck could do the same thing too.

Locke
12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I started this thread to discuss RG3's comments, not the polarization caused by Tim Tebow's Christianity. If you want to discuss that, take it to the Serious Forums sections. Believe me Locke would be happy to discuss it with you there. Lord knows he and I have had plenty of discussions about religion and politics in those forums. :lol:

And still have a friendly relationship afterwards. :up:

A situation that I wish wasn't as rare as it is...

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I heard RGIII being interviewed and he impressed me, I believe that if he chooses the NFL he'll give it 100% he seems to come across as a guy with alot of integrity not the type of guy that would use the NFL to line his pockets and head to law school but we are all guessing what this guy is about.
CK I do get your point is just that we are not used to football players talking like that.
Luck could do the same thing too.

It's not that I'm not used to seeing football players talk like that. I HAVE seen football players talk like that. That's the problem. He talks like Ricky Williams, Robert Smith and Myron Rolle.

Kistner10
12-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Griffin's comments don't bother me. Seems like normal over analyzing going on before the draft. He seems like a smart kid and it sounds like he just wanted to show that off. I'm pretty sure he won't ever quit football to become a sports agent.

Also CK, If he does become a Robert Smith and gives a team a good 5-6 years, how is that any different than what to expect from a 29 year old Weeden?

Hayden Fox
12-16-2011, 03:28 PM
The two don't even relate. Weeden can't play baseball anymore and his only shot in pro sports/set his family up for life is the NFL. He doesn't have the pleuthora of options Griffen has (olympics, law school, NFL) and Griffen's comments show that he may not be 100% committed to not being an NFL QB. Weeden on the other hand is and has said so numerous times. In terms of red flags Weeden has two, his age and his shoulder. He happens however to throw a better ball than every current possible draft selection so the shoulder may not be a problem. The rest of his development comes down to him being able to play at the speed of the NFL game. Stop being an *** just because you want to ruffle CK's feather's for putting you in your place when you claimed his opinion or any others' wasn't valid because he/they are not an NFL insider and don't agree with every article you try to post as fact that agree's with your agenda. You come across as trivial, juvenile and unprepared expecially when CK has the hours of film study to back his opinions where you basically use someone else's work to back yours.

I do not want ruffle feathers of anyone. I have my opinions and think what I opine is valid.

BTW, I also posted a Todd McShay video in which he mentions Weeden's positives and says he could go all the up into the 2nd round...a round or two higher than I project and have advocated for...I try to bring information to this site.

All of these qb's need to be vetted prior to the draft...RGIII and Weeden included. Weeden's commitment must be questioned. Is he only playing football because he is not on the diamond? Why did he not forsake baseball to play football? It is the same idea of RGIII and his quote...how much do you love football?

Finally, I respect CK's opinion, but I have no problem disagreeing with him when I disagree. He would do and does like-wise. That is what makes this nation awesome. I do not brag that I watch hours of film. However, I consider myself well-read and watch my share of football with more than a passing interest.

When baseball players like Chad Hutchinson, Chris Weinke and Drew Henson have tried to play NFL football after failing on the diamond...it has not worked out well.

LouPhinFan
12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Griffin's comments don't bother me. Seems like normal over analyzing going on before the draft. He seems like a smart kid and it sounds like he just wanted to show that off. I'm pretty sure he won't ever quit football to become a sports agent.

Also CK, If he does become a Robert Smith and gives a team a good 5-6 years, how is that any different than what to expect from a 29 year old Weeden?

I'm sure CK has an answer, but the differences are pretty obvious. The investment in Weeden wouldn't be the investment in RG3. Weeden can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round versus top 10 (probably) for RG3. Also with Weeden you KNOW his age and can plan that you'll be getting 6 years or so and can make that plan accordingly. With RG3, he's probably going to blind side you because he's young. He should have a 10 or 12 year career but he blindsides you after 6 years and leaves for law school because he's made his cash and wants to do other things.

WelcomeBack
12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm sure CK has an answer, but the differences are pretty obvious. The investment in Weeden wouldn't be the investment in RG3. Weeden can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round versus top 10 (probably) for RG3. Also with Weeden you KNOW his age and can plan that you'll be getting 6 years or so and can make that plan accordingly. With RG3, he's probably going to blind side you because he's young. He should have a 10 or 12 year career but he blindsides you after 6 years and leaves for law school because he's made his cash and wants to do other things.

Agreed. I think it comes with expectancy as well. With Griffin, you know how young he is. You're investing in a guy that you hope will play for a much longer time period. Weeden's expectancy isn't quite near what Griffin, Barkley or Luck can offer in terms of longevity. However, when you expect with Griffin, it adds that injury, or just his decision making process on what he'd rather do with his life is what gives the red flags. Losing him to an injury is one thing. Drafting him top ten and giving him all that money for him to say he'd rather go be a lawyer is another.

Hayden Fox
12-16-2011, 04:04 PM

You can say my assessments suck and that I got "schooled" in a debate, but at the end of the day the following will occur...

1. RGIII will go in the top ten. I have said it since mid-fall. It looks like he will go higher than that
2. RGIII has a chance to be the face of a franchise
3. Weeden is a day three pick
4. Weeden will be a back up and be a non factor in the NFL

These are my assessments and we will see whose are right in the coming years. I am very confident in my opinions.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 06:13 PM

It's not. The problem is, Robert Griffin is going to be drafted far before Weeden because people are assuming Robert Griffin will play for them for 12 years whereas Brandon Weeden will play for them for maybe 7 years.

I'm saying, based on Robert Griffin's mentality and outlook on football, that's a bad assumption. Warren Moon got back into the NFL at 28 years old and played 15 more seasons. Robert Griffin could end up only playing 5 seasons.

If you're admitting that's a possibility, and you're admitting that Brandon Weeden's stock needs to be dinged because of age, then you're admitting that Robert Griffin's stock needs to also be dinged because of this.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
You can say my assessments suck and that I got "schooled" in a debate, but at the end of the day the following will occur...

1. RGIII will go in the top ten. I have said it since mid-fall. It looks like he will go higher than that
2. RGIII has a chance to be the face of a franchise
3. Weeden is a day three pick
4. Weeden will be a back up and be a non factor in the NFL

These are my assessments and we will see whose are right in the coming years. I am very confident in my opinions.

I would be very surprised if even two of those four predictions end up happening. If all four happen, kudos to you.

ckparrothead
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Robert Griffin having to be talked out of trying to be a 1st year law student at the same time as a Heisman candidate quarterback for a major university is very reminiscent to me of Ricky Williams coming to the Saints during the off season and declaring that he wants to play baseball as well as football, and having to be talked out of that.

That was a warning sign with Ricky.

Zounds
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Well it looks like we dont have to worry about drafting him at all, because in that article he said in so many words that he's not entering the draft.

Next...

DKphin
12-16-2011, 06:38 PM

STRONG buyer beware on Robert Griffin. To him, football is just a game, and the NFL is just a business. That's fine for a human being but as an NFL franchise you're not looking for great human beings, you're hunting for great assets. I hate to de-humanize it that way but it's the truth. You read his thoughts about what the NFL is and what it means, read him talk about how it's not very important to him, it's a Plan B, all these other things come first.

If I draft him, I'm almost more afraid of him having success than him not having success. If he has success he gets to decide to walk out on this petty "spectacle" (his own words) on his terms, as a conqueror. He gets to move on (now with lots of money from his rookie contract) to bigger, better and more important things. He knows football is just a game, the NFL is just a business, that it doesn't mean much. He'll get what he wants out of it and then bolt.

The more I read about him the more I admire him as a human being, and the more I'm wary of him as an NFL franchise's asset.Kind of sounds like another guys view of the NFL, Eric Dickerson. Dickerson could have been the greatest RB of all time, but he, like RGIII, viewed the NFL as just a means to an end. He was more worried about what he was getting paid than whether or not he won games. In my estimation, that is performing a disservice to the fans and more importantly your teammates. The Rams set up the whole offense for ED to succeed and what did he do when contract time came up, he bolted for more money. If he stayed in LA, there would be no discussion of who the greatest RB of all time would be-Dickerson would be the only name that needed to be said.
Listen RGIII has every right to live his life the way he sees fit as long as he does not harm anyone in the process, but do not ask a franchise to commit a boat load of cash to your future when you are not committed to theirs.

Roman529
12-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah right...RG3 is going to pass up millions in the NFL to become a lawyer an agent....why can't he go to law school after the NFL like Steve Young did? This is just like people thinking Luck is going to become an architect. They can always do this later on in life.

mfish41
12-16-2011, 08:46 PM

Ricky williams came back.

mfish41
12-16-2011, 08:50 PM

you are also comparing RGIII to two guys who played a brutal position. you don't think the position had any factor in their retirement? i think this is being blown out of proportion, all he is saying is he knows there's life beyond football.

ChrisHanson
12-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I just dislike Tebow because "Tebow-Time" should be "Broncos-Time". A majority of those wins came because the defense kept the team in it and gave Tebow the shot to be average enough to get Matt Prater within his 51-59 yard field goal ranges.

And Tebow is the one insisting on the name? Puh-lease. The guy is the model for team player. The media invented Tebow-time.

And u hate him for it....haha

hooshoops
12-17-2011, 12:25 AM
rumors that rg3's parents are interviewing agents...

LouPhinFan
12-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah right...RG3 is going to pass up millions in the NFL to become a lawyer an agent....why can't he go to law school after the NFL like Steve Young did? This is just like people thinking Luck is going to become an architect. They can always do this later on in life.

As far as I know Luck has not said anything remotely close to "wanting to be an architect instead of a NFL QB". Essentially that's what RG3 just did. Seriously you can't just completely dismiss his comment like you're doing. It's borderline insanity how some people in this thread are just completely dismissing this whole situation as "no big deal". Yeah, this is a very big deal.

DudeleBroski
12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
rumors that rg3's parents are interviewing agents... I thought that was for insurance in case he returns to school

hooshoops
12-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I thought that was for insurance in case he returns to school

ha ha...i didn't take it that way but i guess thats possible...i thought it meant agents for nfl representation

jamvinny
12-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Perspective needed on the comments.

Yes scouts will pick up on this and would probe to see if he has a commitment flaw. Out comes the red flags possiby

As Michael Lewis said to Billy Beane 'I never thought scouts were totally pointless, I thought they were just looking for the wrong things'

The Confessor
12-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Meh, I KNOW he's smart enough to know it's not a one year thing understanding the NFL game.

He also knows that a Masters from Baylor will buy him pretty much ANY endeavor he choses to embark on after his NFL career regardless of how long lived or short it might be.

I'd take a gamble on this kid in a heartbeat. Anybody questioning his commitment has no clue. Zero nada. How many kids earn a Masters, at 21, while being the starting QB for the College team?
Now, lets narrow it down a bit. How many earn a Masters from BAYLOR while filling the same criteria? I seriously don't think Commitment is an issue with RGIII

jlfin
12-17-2011, 08:42 AM

I disagree. At its fundamental core, football is a physically demanding, hard hitting sport. It takes more than being athletically gifted to play in the NFL. You have to have a passion for the sport and LOVE playing it week in and week out (Zach Thomas). Law School can come later (Nick Buoniconti)
I recall reading a quote from Don Shula (In the Miami Herald) after he drafted Marino and he was recalling his 1st conversation with Dan. Marino told him (paraphrasing) 'coach, I just want to be the best QB in the NFL'. Simply stated, un-nuanced.
That's what I want in my franchise QB. Montana, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Favre, Manning, Brady all had/have it.

jlfin
12-17-2011, 08:46 AM

So does Jamarcus (take the money and run) Russell.

jamvinny
12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
I disagree. At its fundamental core, football is a physically demanding, hard hitting sport. It takes more than being athletically gifted to play in the NFL. You have to have a passion for the sport and LOVE playing it week in and week out (Zach Thomas). Law School can come later (Nick Buoniconti)
I recall reading a quote from Don Shula (In the Miami Herald) after he drafted Marino and he was recalling his 1st conversation with Dan. Marino told him (paraphrasing) 'coach, I just want to be the best QB in the NFL'. Simply stated, un-nuanced.
That's what I want in my franchise QB. Montana, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Favre, Manning, Brady all had/have it.

Its how one perceives a winner or a winning formula.

From your statement can I take a guess and say that you like your QBs to be square jawed, heroic, tough as teak, blue-eyed All American hero. Many sportsfans share the same sentiments as jlfin as the qualities needed to be a successfu QB in the NFL.

jlfin
12-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Its how one perceives a winner or a winning formula.

From your statement can I take a guess and say that you like your QBs to be square jawed, heroic, tough as teak, blue-eyed All American hero. Many sportsfans share the same sentiments as jlfin as the qualities needed to be a successfu QB in the NFL.

Or just simply committed to their chosen profession. You make a lot of silly asumptions (square jawed, blue eyed???). This isn't matter of perception, its reality. Professional sports isn't something you kind of do, if you want to win a championship. Most athletes don't 'settle' for playing professional sports. The great ones have a a drive to win and a lifelong dream to win a championship and that includes players of ALL RACES, so let's dispense with your pathetic attempt to pull the race card. That nonsense doesn't work with me.
RG III doesnt sound like he's chomping at the bit to play in the NFL.

ckparrothead
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Ricky williams came back.

Yeah, that made things SO much better. Totally worth the two 1st round picks we paid for him.

DudeleBroski
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Meh, I KNOW he's smart enough to know it's not a one year thing understanding the NFL game.He also knows that a Masters from Baylor will buy him pretty much ANY endeavor he choses to embark on after his NFL career regardless of how long lived or short it might be.I'd take a gamble on this kid in a heartbeat. Anybody questioning his commitment has no clue. Zero nada. How many kids earn a Masters, at 21, while being the starting QB for the College team?Now, lets narrow it down a bit. How many earn a Masters from BAYLOR while filling the same criteria? I seriously don't think Commitment is an issue with RGIII Not too sound like a snob, but why do so many people, while discussing rg3, bring up Baylor being such a prestigious university. It's not even top 5 in Texas.

jamvinny
12-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Or just simply committed to their chosen profession. You make a lot of silly asumptions (square jawed, blue eyed???). This isn't matter of perception, its reality. Professional sports isn't something you kind of do, if you want to win a championship. Most athletes don't 'settle' for playing professional sports. The great ones have a a drive to win and a lifelong dream to win a championship and that includes players of ALL RACES, so let's dispense with your pathetic attempt to pull the race card. That nonsense doesn't work with me.
RG III doesnt sound like he's chomping at the bit to play in the NFL.

Muhammed Ali, Vince Lombardi, Michael Schumacher, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Steve Redgrave, Clive Lloyd, Eddy Mercx, the various sportsmen and leaders are just some of a few who are driven as you say. So yes I'm aware of the high levels of dedication, desire and psychology to be a champion. I know its not talent alone.

As for the racecard? Well you defaulted on to politics. From what I have seen and reports concerning RG3's capabilities as a QB, he seemingly has more dimensions to his skillset than just being 'athletically gifted'

Many people have been impressed by his dedication and skills not only to playing football but being a model student and person on and off the field.

People need to do their homework and research on the guy before sweeping presumptions are made.

As I previously stated perspective is needed.

SF Dolphin Fan
12-17-2011, 02:28 PM
That probably means Landry Jones or Ryan Tannehill to Miami.

MadDog 88
12-17-2011, 04:55 PM
That's what I want in my franchise QB. Montana, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Favre, Manning, Brady all had/have it.If Griffen says he wants to be an NFL QB then I have to take that as a firm commitment. Once committed, I don't forsee him quitting on it. At this stage I would say he has the physical and mental aspects of the game in check. College football is grueling. It's not as if he just shows up 12 Saturdays a year only. He has a commitment to it and school. If the young man wants to pursuit a law degree then I wish him all the success in the world. If he wants to be an NFL QB, he is high on my draft board.

mfish41
12-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah, that made things SO much better. Totally worth the two 1st round picks we paid for him.

i said nothing about if it was success or not, that's a whole different argument. my argument was money talks everything walks. ricky and robert smith walked away and ricky came back because he was giving up way too much money. I would also like to point out again you are comparing RGIII to two guys who played RB, and ricky was not anywhere near a right mind when he retired. These two guys are also exceptions to the rule, there have been plenty of guys with opportunities outside the NFL, but the NFL was their most lucrative option and you never hear about it again.

Valandui
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
That probably means Landry Jones or Ryan Tannehill to Miami.
Trailin' for Tannehill, baby.

WitheringPlant
12-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Meh, I KNOW he's smart enough to know it's not a one year thing understanding the NFL game.

He also knows that a Masters from Baylor will buy him pretty much ANY endeavor he choses to embark on after his NFL career regardless of how long lived or short it might be.

I'd take a gamble on this kid in a heartbeat. Anybody questioning his commitment has no clue. Zero nada. How many kids earn a Masters, at 21, while being the starting QB for the College team?
Now, lets narrow it down a bit. How many earn a Masters from BAYLOR while filling the same criteria? I seriously don't think Commitment is an issue with RGIII
Completely off topic, but where are you getting the idea that Baylor is some academic Mecca that can write you a ticket wherever you want to go?

DearbornDolfan
12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Completely off topic, but where are you getting the idea that Baylor is some academic Mecca that can write you a ticket wherever you want to go?

Because it is. Its medical and law schools are world class, they just don't get the press the Ivy League schools do because they're not on the East Coast. You don't hear about Cal as an academic mecca either, but its nuclear and astrophysics schools are the best in the world.

thefranchisedef
12-19-2011, 03:17 AM
wow! definitely admire him but people need to understand that alot of people play football and go to law school as well. Drew brees is doing it but does that make him any less of a football player? With that said, definitely buyer beware. I rather take on brandon weeden.

ChrisHanson
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Not too sound like a snob, but why do so many people, while discussing rg3, bring up Baylor being such a prestigious university. It's not even top 5 in Texas.

Not top 5? In regards to what?

lil tom digby
12-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Tebow always gives credit to the "team". I've never heard him use the word "I", it's always "WE". He seems to be the epitome of a team player. This league could use a few more Tim Tebows.

DudeleBroski
12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Not top 5? In regards to what? Overall rank, ranking of business and engineering programs. Their med school is great but its not in waco, its in houston. Their law school is good but wouldnt be a top 5 choice of mine in texas. As for engineering and business, theres at least 5 schools in Texas id choose over baylor, due to ranking, reputation in texas and networking. As for school of sciences and communications etc, im not sure because those didnt interest me when i was researching what school to choose. Baylor is a good school, no doubt, but just wasn't on the level of some other schools in Texas for me to go there.

retarmyfinfan
12-19-2011, 07:36 PM
This isn't the first article saying that. I wouldn't take him, he might not play at all or he finishes his first contract and bolt to law school. I would NOT gamble my 1st round pick. If we draft a QB that only has 4 or 5 years we might as well draft Weeden and he might give us 7-10 years. At least we know he would be around for as long as possible.

spiketex
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
A Dolphin fan phoned up Sirius Football radio yesterday to talk about RGIII. Pat Kirwan told him flat out that RGIII has moved up to #2 QB and Miami is winning too many games to get him.

spiketex
12-20-2011, 11:21 PM

The more I read about him the more I admire him as a human being, and the more I'm wary of him as an NFL franchise's asset.

I concur with CK. He already has a huge ego and loves the attention right down to his superman socks. He is smart and gifted, but there are lots of warning signs. He definitely will attract attention and from Stephen Ross' perspective may help to sell out the stadium in the same way he has resurrected Baylor football. Henne was totally low key and hated attention but RGIII is the polar opposite and craves it. Yes he wants to become a lawyer but don't be surprised if he has also mapped out a career in politics.

ChrisHanson
12-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I concur with CK. He already has a huge ego and loves the attention right down to his superman socks. He is smart and gifted, but there are lots of warning signs. He definitely will attract attention and from Stephen Ross' perspective may help to sell out the stadium in the same way he has resurrected Baylor football. Henne was totally low key and hated attention but RGIII is the polar opposite and craves it. Yes he wants to become a lawyer but don't be surprised if he has also mapped out a career in politics.

I have to disagree. RGIII is nothing but a class act. You ever see the kid after he scores a TD? He finds the ref and hands him the ball. His confidence is sky high (as we should want any QB we have) but he checks his ego in at the stadium entrance. I can possibly see someone worrying about his comments in the OP, but there are no other "warning signs" with this kid.