PDA

View Full Version : Tading Up is the Only option

crazycanuck74
12-17-2011, 05:17 PM
My opinion is we send our 1st, 2nd, and 1st next year and maybe one of our own d-lineman to the colts for their first pick. If we end up with the 4th overall pick. Luck is the best qb and the colts need the extra picks and Peyton Manning(if healthy). He is still good for a minimum 4 more years and Luck shouldn"t be sitting behind Manning. This also eliminates the chance of a team like Washington trading up ahead of us with say Minny to snag Barkley at pick 2. I don't know if that's enough picks to persuade Polian but he is in a tough situation with the Peyton/Luck scenario. We should take advantage of it. Look at the Bears situation, there's always free agents.

firemanx
12-17-2011, 07:06 PM
seems like a steep price when RG3 or landryjones or brandon weeden are alternatives

Elliott 1
12-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Brandon Weeden will be the most successful NFL QB from this class so trading up would be reckless and completely unnecessary.

Dolphins could trade down in both the first and second rounds and add picks. Weeden should still be there in the late 2nd.

Dolphins should look to trade down especially if they have a top ten pick.

Hayden Fox
12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Do you trade up as the OP said OR do you snag a position player and then work your way back into the 1st round and get a qb?

OR do you just take the qb that you would trade back into round one at your original spot in the 1st round?

jim1
12-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Brandon Weeden will be the most successful NFL QB from this class so trading up would be reckless and completely unnecessary.

Dolphins could trade down in both the first and second rounds and add picks. Weeden should still be there in the late 2nd.

This draft would be tremendously simplified, in my opinion, if the Dolphins could be assured that Weeden will be available by their pick in the 2nd round. I think that there's a pretty good chance that Weeden will be gone by that pick, and I think that he's the best QB available in this draft, bar none. My best guess is that, assuming that the Dolphins don't draft RGIII in the first round, the FO might sniff around for a move up in the late 1st/early 2nd round and if the price is too high they'll simply risk him being taken before their 2nd rd pick. Matt Moore is the incumbent fall back, maybe a guy like Nick Foles is an option. I think that I might prefer Tyler Wilson and I'm intrigued by Austin Davis, but imo Weeden is simply better than all of them. The problem is, from my perspective, that there won't be a QB available anywhere even close to how good Weeden is after he's taken. I don't think that Weeden's talent can be denied, and he'll be a much hotter commodity on draft day than a lot of people think. Just my opinion, of course.

2413fanphins
12-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Do you trade up as the OP said OR do you snag a position player and then work your way back into the 1st round and get a qb?

OR do you just take the qb that you would trade back into round one at your original spot in the 1st round?

If i like say weeden as a first round pick than take him in the first. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY, can sit here and convince he'll be around at pick whatever....you just don't know..

to steal a jim mora line... you don't know, you may think you know, BUT you just don't know....

my wetdream scenario... luck and barkley are gone, hopefully kalil is in there somewhere too... leaving us with blackmon. I'd take blackmon... than I'd trade up into the late first with say baltimore or somebody, and grab weeden... I don't even chance it.

I can't imagine having marshall, blackmon, reggie, clay, all on offense. I'd prefer barkley over weeden... but if it played out... I'd have kegs full of beer waiting for consumption.

2413fanphins
12-17-2011, 08:43 PM
This draft would be tremendously simplified, in my opinion, if the Dolphins could be assured that Weeden will be available by their pick in the 2nd round. I think that there's a pretty good chance that Weeden will be gone by that pick, and I think that he's the best QB available in this draft, bar none. My best guess is that, assuming that the Dolphins don't draft RGIII in the first round, the FO might sniff around for a move up in the late 1st/early 2nd round and if the price is too high they'll simply risk him being taken before their 2nd rd pick. Matt Moore is the incumbent fall back, maybe a guy like Nick Foles is an option. I think that I might prefer Tyler Wilson and I'm intrigued by Austin Davis, but imo Weeden is simply better than all of them. The problem is, from my perspective, that there won't be a QB available anywhere even close to how good Weeden is after he's taken. I don't think that Weeden's talent can be denied, and he'll be a much hotter commodity on draft day than a lot of people think. Just my opinion, of course.

lets take this train of thought and discuss... the way I see it anybody who needs a qb and has a pick in the top 10 is gonna probably have a guy in mind. Now, if we don't get a guy, and are banking on weeden dropping, what are we talking? teams in the 16-32 range, or at the very least 20-32 range more than likely don't need a quarterback. So lets say we are drafting 6 and dont' get a barkley or luck or RGIII... the way I see it we have to dodge the 5-15 selections in the first round. I'd be banking on them targeting a different need but you just never know. IF, and I realize it's a big IF, weeden gets to pick 20, I think we are safe. nobody from 21-32 is gonna take him as they are probably set, and 33-37 have probably already addressed the quarterback need with one of the big three or maybe even jones or tannehill comes into play there....

It's just too hard to gauge. I guess worse case scenario... take weeden at ****in #6 overall if thats your guy... you miss out on whoever else, but at least you don't risk losing him altogether and end up trading away picks to make sure you grab him... this all hinges on him being MIami's target though... If he's the highest ranked qb on their board, I'm not all against taking him when they see fit to avoid losing him. I want it addressed that badly...

ticophin
12-17-2011, 09:19 PM
IŽd trade back within the 1st...take Weeden in the 1st, and target TE Coby Fleener plus DE Vinny Curry from Marshall with our 2 2nds...Wooooo!!!

jim1
12-17-2011, 09:29 PM
lets take this train of thought and discuss... the way I see it anybody who needs a qb and has a pick in the top 10 is gonna probably have a guy in mind. Now, if we don't get a guy, and are banking on weeden dropping, what are we talking? teams in the 16-32 range, or at the very least 20-32 range more than likely don't need a quarterback. So lets say we are drafting 6 and dont' get a barkley or luck or RGIII... the way I see it we have to dodge the 5-15 selections in the first round. I'd be banking on them targeting a different need but you just never know. IF, and I realize it's a big IF, weeden gets to pick 20, I think we are safe. nobody from 21-32 is gonna take him as they are probably set, and 33-37 have probably already addressed the quarterback need with one of the big three or maybe even jones or tannehill comes into play there....

It's just too hard to gauge. I guess worse case scenario... take weeden at ****in #6 overall if thats your guy... you miss out on whoever else, but at least you don't risk losing him altogether and end up trading away picks to make sure you grab him... this all hinges on him being MIami's target though... If he's the highest ranked qb on their board, I'm not all against taking him when they see fit to avoid losing him. I want it addressed that badly...

I agree with you. I just doubt that our FO- whomever that may be come draft time- would have the balls to do that. It would open the doors to a wave of criticism a la the Broncos Tebow pick a couple of drafts ago. But if you think that he's the best QB out there... maybe you just take him. Quality trumps quantity (length of career), talent wins out. But that's just my opinion- it's far more likely that teams will play it safe and he'll slide to the 2nd rd. But guys like Shanahan and Holmgren- they know talent. I could see either one snagging Weeden if they don't grab a QB in the 1srt rd. I'd love for Weeden to be available in the 2nd rd for us- a total slam dunk imo if we don't get a QB in the 1st rd. But if that's the Dolphins' plan, I'd be very, very nervous if I were them.

Hayden Fox
12-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Trading back and draft a qb is not an option. If we have a conviction on a qb, run the card up.

Gonzo
12-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Dolphins should look to trade down especially if they have a top ten pick.With the way QB's can jump up in the draft, you don't risk it. If Weeden is the guy, you take him. The absolute most I would do is trade back a few spots in the first, but still take him. The idea of Weeden going in the second or later has absolutely nothing to do with talent and everything to do with age (unlike Beck and other "older" rookies). Enough gambling on the most important position in football.

If we can't make a deal to move up and take Barkley and if RGIII stays in school like he recently indicated he aims to, then do whatever it takes to get Weeden.

3rdandinches
12-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree with you. I just doubt that our FO- whomever that may be come draft time- would have the balls to do that. It would open the doors to a wave of criticism a la the Broncos Tebow pick a couple of drafts ago. But if you think that he's the best QB out there... maybe you just take him. Quality trumps quantity (length of career), talent wins out. But that's just my opinion- it's far more likely that teams will play it safe and he'll slide to the 2nd rd. But guys like Shanahan and Holmgren- they know talent. I could see either one snagging Weeden if they don't grab a QB in the 1srt rd. I'd love for Weeden to be available in the 2nd rd for us- a total slam dunk imo if we don't get a QB in the 1st rd. But if that's the Dolphins' plan, I'd be very, very nervous if I were them.

If a QB needy team does not get one with their first pick then you know you have to trade back into the first and probably to the early twenties. I'd prefer to trade up to the 2nd pick and get Barkley, it won't cost nearly as much as the first overall. Otherwise I'd love to trade back to get extra picks to help us trade back into the 1st again to select Weeden.
Our last 3 games will be very interesting to say the least.

hooshoops
12-18-2011, 12:07 AM

just like colin kaepernick would be in last years draft huh elliott...as you said kaep will be better than elway...lmao

hooshoops
12-18-2011, 12:12 AM
take weeden at #6...get out your dunce caps

DudeleBroski
12-18-2011, 12:59 AM
just like colin kaepernick would be in last years draft huh elliott...as you said kaep will be better than elway...lmao There's no way he believed that bro

DudeleBroski
12-18-2011, 01:00 AM
How has kaepernick looked BTW? Has he seen the field yet?

SF Dolphin Fan
12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
IŽd trade back within the 1st...take Weeden in the 1st, and target TE Coby Fleener plus DE Vinny Curry from Marshall with our 2 2nds...Wooooo!!!That's a nice scenario.

SF Dolphin Fan
12-18-2011, 11:57 AM
If Robert Griffin III has football as his plan B, then there's one less quarterback to pick from in my opinion. I would definitely explore what it would take to trade up for Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley. And, saying that, I'd give up a lot for Luck. You get your franchise quarterback and fill in the other spots.

J. David Wannyheimer
12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Trade up to #2 and take Barkley. I realize that that might not be the best value or the most strategic way of looking at it, but this team needs a young hotshot QB in the worst possible way. Get a kid that's pro ready and throw him in there.

Plus, I'd love to see what his first meeting with Reggie Bush will be like.

JWA
12-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I think we should stay put. If Barkley or RG III is there then we take him. If not, take Kalil. If the QB's and Kalil are gone it's Blackmon or trade down. We do need a RT though or our new QB will not survive the season in one piece.

crazycanuck74
12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I guess if we don"t trade up for a franchise QB at least we can talk about retread qb's , and 2nd round qb failures for another 10 years. Why all the love for Weeden? He's 28 years old, and has the best wideout in college football. Do you need more evidence that mediocre qb's tend to get you nowhere? Matt Moore being Matt Moore= loss Matt Moore being great= win Tom Brady being Tom Brady= win (90% of the time) Tom Brady being great= win (100%) When are we gonna pick a top 10 first round QB who isn't 28!!

BSQ
12-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Guys, let's face reality. WE MUST GET OUR FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK AS SOON AS WE CAN!!!! We can't afford to take any risks. Wherever we pick, let's guess it will be in the top ten. We grab our guy right then and right there. We take the best guy that we have a conviction on. If Weeden is that guy we pick him and be happy as hell. Let's see who drops our way, remember Marino fell right into our lap. If we try to get cute and screw this up Dolphin Nation will freak out!! I don't care about value and bargains and all that Mel Kiper B.S. I want a great Quarterback and I'm tired of waiting.

miami234ever
12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm all for trading up...not sure I want to invest a top 10 pick in a 28 year old QB, no matter how ready people think we are. I don't think our holes are so numerous that we can't afford to trade up if we're still within the top 10. Also, something interesting may begin to happen with the top pick if Indianapolis can beat Houston and/or Jacksonville. With Minnesota or St. Louis holding the top pick, it becomes a lot more flexible.

rainmaker1313
12-19-2011, 05:14 AM
I love Coby Fleener as a TE , but we dont utilize TE's properly, so I would feel it is a wasted pick! Unless Miami learns how to get TES in their offense.

next-year
12-21-2011, 02:41 AM
trade 1's this year with the colts plus this year 2 and 3 and next years 1 and 4 , boom i'm over watching these second rate qb's

can't take it, ohh good lets get kalil and be 7-9 next year too.

3rdandinches
12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
trade 1's this year with the colts plus this year 2 and 3 and next years 1 and 4 , boom i'm over watching these second rate qb's

can't take it, ohh good lets get kalil and be 7-9 next year too.

You honestly think that's all it would take? There's no way Indy would do it and other teams would offer more. I would think if you really want the number 1 pick the conversation starts with 3 #1 picks and goes from there.

ptgold
12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
guys guys guys.....whats all this weeden love? Seriously!? a 28 yr old Qb in the top 10? are you out of your minds?! Its either one of the top 3 Qbs or bust.

Trading with Indy is not realistic, however trading with St. Louis is......so thats where we should head. Trade this years first and third and next years 1st for Matt Barkley. Id be fine with RG3 but Barkley is the way to go.

Tunaphish429
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Tad....lol

39wildman
12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
if we cannot get a good qb than get next best player we are not just one player away from superbowl we need bigtime player moore is good for now he can start next yr too. who ever come in beside luck is not going to beat that moore out to be really are gm have a big job in front of him...we need more play maker on this team.. pass rusher,wr,ot,og,fs,qb,cb,rb

2413fanphins
12-27-2011, 10:21 PM
the only way I will accept taking kalil this year, is if we go all in for barkley next year.

it's really andrew luck or nothing for me as far as qbs are concerned... If not, i'd rather target blackmon or claiborne and target barkley next year something fierce.

I toy around with the idea of weeden in the second, but I think he'll be gone by than.

blackmon and weeden would be a nice first couple rounds IMO