PDA

View Full Version : RT Comparison

fgrocker
12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I know a few members who post here have done draft scouting reports in the past. I was just wondering if anyone has a good comparison of Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff at the RT spot. It seems we may be too far back in the draft to get Barkley or RG3, and there is a desperate need at the RT spot if we want whoever our future QB is to stay healthy. Thanks in advance.

jim1
12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
This looked interesting:

Every once in a while, a player makes the jump from the CFL to the NFL, and he makes an impact. One of the next guys to get a promotion could be B.C. Lions offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye. Olafioye worked out this week for the Vikings and Dolphins. Over the next two weeks, he’ll get a look-see from the Browns, Steelers, and Jets — and possibly other teams.

At 350 pounds, Olafioye has played left tackle and right tackle. For the B.C. Lions, the 2011 Grey Cup champions, Olafioye allowed no sacks. He also was a finalist for the league’s Offensive Lineman of the Year award.
The last CFL player to generate this kind of buzz was Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5203/cameron-wake). Maybe next year Olafioye will get a chance to try to block him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/17/cfl-offensive-lineman-attracting-nfl-interest/

Kistner10
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
This looked interesting:

Every once in a while, a player makes the jump from the CFL to the NFL, and he makes an impact. One of the next guys to get a promotion could be B.C. Lions offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye. Olafioye worked out this week for the Vikings and Dolphins. Over the next two weeks, he’ll get a look-see from the Browns, Steelers, and Jets — and possibly other teams.

At 350 pounds, Olafioye has played left tackle and right tackle. For the B.C. Lions, the 2011 Grey Cup champions, Olafioye allowed no sacks. He also was a finalist for the league’s Offensive Lineman of the Year award.
The last CFL player to generate this kind of buzz was Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5203/cameron-wake). Maybe next year Olafioye will get a chance to try to block him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/17/cfl-offensive-lineman-attracting-nfl-interest/

I would't mind trying and signing him. I'd prefer to go the vet route for next year's starting RT. He could offer some upside with some actual experience without spending a draft pick on a RT.

Generic Name
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I know a few members who post here have done draft scouting reports in the past. I was just wondering if anyone has a good comparison of Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff at the RT spot. It seems we may be too far back in the draft to get Barkley or RG3, and there is a desperate need at the RT spot if we want whoever our future QB is to stay healthy. Thanks in advance.

Why would you select one of the least impactful positions on the field with the first pick unless you want to see more of the Wannstedt/Sparano years?

Unreal, the lemming mentality that has set in here.

fgrocker
12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Why would you select one of the least impactful positions on the field with the first pick unless you want to see more of the Wannstedt/Sparano years?

Unreal, the lemming mentality that has set in here.

What "impactful" position would you prefer we address with our 1st round pick then? RT has a fair amount of impact in terms of run blocking and QB protection and would give us solid bookends for the next 7-8 years. I'm not against getting one in FA, I was just asking for a scouting report summary of the two.

By the way, both coaches you mentioned took this team to the playoffs. I'm assuming you prefer the Saban/Cameron years when we drafted skill players like RB and Ted Ginn, both of which had a monumental impact on the team.

Unreal, the Madden mentality that has set in here. Go back to booing every lineman pick during the draft.

Generic Name
12-20-2011, 10:15 PM
What "impactful" position would you prefer we address with our 1st round pick then? RT has a fair amount of impact in terms of run blocking and QB protection and would give us solid bookends for the next 7-8 years. I'm not against getting one in FA, I was just asking for a scouting report summary of the two.

By the way, both coaches you mentioned took this team to the playoffs. I'm assuming you prefer the Saban/Cameron years when we drafted skill players like RB and Ted Ginn, both of which had a monumental impact on the team.

Unreal, the Madden mentality that has set in here. Go back to booing every lineman pick during the draft.

Almost any position on the field outside of kicker and punter would be more impactful than RT especially given that we have first round picks at LT, C and RG.

It is the height of intellectual laziness for people to suggest that this team which still needs playmakers at QB, WR, TE, LB, FS etc take a RIGHT guard or tackle with our first pick which is likely to be a top 10 one. I mean c'mon, it really is frustrating and ridiculous after all the crappy drafts we've had under Wanny, Saban, Sparano etc that we need another OL with the first pick. Which RT do you like????? How about which decade would you like to be competitive again?

Btw, Wannstedt and Sparano were both awful, piss poor coaches but even worse in the draft room.

fgrocker
12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
It is the height of intellectual laziness for people to suggest that this team which still needs playmakers at QB, WR, TE, LB, FS etc take a RIGHT guard or tackle with our first pick which is likely to be a top 10 one.

Would you mind naming a player who would fall in the top 5-10 picks that fits one of these positions? Mind you, I already mentioned that this situation only occurs if RG3 is off the board. 1st round WRs are likely to be busts, there aren't any caliber TEs that high, FS is not any more impactful than a RT in the top 10 picks unless its Ed Reed (not in this class), and Coples may be the only LB that high who would fit in our scheme. Throw some names out if you're so serious about other players being better picks. I'm not opposed to trading down, but this assumes we don't or can't.

Generic Name
12-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Would you mind naming a player who would fall in the top 5-10 picks that fits one of these positions? Mind you, I already mentioned that this situation only occurs if RG3 is off the board. 1st round WRs are likely to be busts, there aren't any caliber TEs that high, FS is not any more impactful than a RT in the top 10 picks unless its Ed Reed (not in this class), and Coples may be the only LB that high who would fit in our scheme. Throw some names out if you're so serious about other players being better picks. I'm not opposed to trading down, but this assumes we don't or can't.

Courtney Upshaw
Justin Blackmon
Michael Floyd
Luke Keuchly

Since when are first round WR's likely to be busts? AJ Green, Dez Bryant ring a bell? We're picking high we should set our sight high not at the level of a minimal impact right side of the OL player. Do RT's catch TD's, get sacks or make plays?

Bottom line is there's not enough evidence to know who is likely to be there when we pick. We don't even know where we'll pick but those of us who pay attention to the draft realize that taking any RT or RG that high is almost never done especially by teams which seem to have 60 or 80% of their lines already made up of first round picks. You can argue for a RT or DeCastro all you want. You're wrong and a bad judge of how to build a contending roster.

I defy you to find a good team with FOUR first round picks made by that team on the OL. It doesn't happen and shouldn't happen.

Tunaphish429
12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
If we take RT it would be a supreme let down..We are in desperate need of a pass rusher/ OLB whatever scheme we play in next year..

We aslo need a FS, WR, QB as well..

I dont want RG3 at all..