PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Wilson is the 2nd best draft eligible QB behind Luck.

ginn and juice
12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Too bad it seems he's not gonna come out. Like the kid a lot.

LouPhinFan
12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know about that, but he might be the best QB in the SEC. Of course that's not saying much because the QBs (and offenses) in the SEC suck.

Generic Name
12-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't know about that, but he might be the best QB in the SEC. Of course that's not saying much because the QBs (and offenses) in the SEC suck.

Cam Newton
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron are all good to great QB's. Tyler Wilson is as well.

hooshoops
12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
aj mccarron...ummm...i'm not buying that one...he's not bad by any means but he's not anything all that great either...better prospect than mcelroy i'd say but thats not saying much

ChambersWI
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
well if RUMORS (again rumors) are to be believed, Wilson is submitting papers to the advisory board. I dunno if he'll stay in.

I am also 99.9% sure that Brock Osweiler will look into the draft

LouPhinFan
12-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Cam Newton
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron are all good to great QB's. Tyler Wilson is as well.

Last time I checked Cam Newton was playing for the Carolina Panthers of the NFL. Aaron Murray has his moments, but he wasn't "great" this season. McCarron? Really?

Kistner10
12-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Tyler Wilson? Really? He wouldn't start for one Pac-12 team(exaggeration but you get the point). SEC QB's blow.

Gonzo
12-21-2011, 02:09 AM
well if RUMORS (again rumors) are to be believed, Wilson is submitting papers to the advisory board. I dunno if he'll stay in.

I am also 99.9% sure that Brock Osweiler will look into the draftAnd I wouldn't blame him. Who would want to play for that doucher? (and that's coming from an ASU fan)

Elliott 1
12-21-2011, 03:25 AM
I'd rather draft Russell Wilson with our 6th.

ChrisHanson
12-21-2011, 08:58 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Good one!!

Wait...you're serious aren't you?

SMadison29
12-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Both Wilson & Osweiler aren't bad overall prospects but neither has a chance of cracking the first round this year. Wilson carries a 2nd to 3rd round grade right behind Tannehill. Osweiler is a bit further back around Ryan Lindley.

TedSlimmJr
12-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Not exactly. It just appears that way because defense is actually played in the SEC.

X-Pacolypse
12-21-2011, 03:22 PM

Last I heard Osweiler will stay at ASU another year.

LouPhinFan
12-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Not exactly. It just appears that way because defense is actually played in the SEC.

Come on now, don't pull that "SEC holier than thou" crap on me. The highest ranked total offense in the SEC is Arkansas, and they're 27th. 7 SEC teams are 80th or lower in total offense. LSU is ranked 75th. I'm not saying the SEC isn't the best conference or doesn't play the best defense. I'm just saying I think their defensive numbers are over inflated due to suspect offenses and bad QB play.

TedSlimmJr
12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Come on now, don't pull that "SEC holier than thou" crap on me. The highest ranked total offense in the SEC is Arkansas, and they're 27th. 7 SEC teams are 80th or lower in total offense. LSU is ranked 75th. I'm not saying the SEC isn't the best conference or doesn't play the best defense. I'm just saying I think their defensive numbers are over inflated due to suspect offenses and bad QB play.

That's what all these high flying, high scoring offenses from the Big-12 and Pac-10 think too until they run into SEC defenses. Ask teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, West Virginia, etc. if LSU or Alabama's defenses are over inflated.

I've been watching it for decades.

Kistner10
12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
That's what all these high flying, high scoring offenses from the Big-12 and Pac-10 think too until they run into SEC defenses. Ask teams like Oregon, Oklahoma, West Virginia, etc. if LSU or Alabama's defenses are over inflated.

I remember USC running circles around SEC defenses a few years back. CAL split with Tennessee putting up 45 on them in the win.

From 2000 to 2010 the SEC has played the PAC 10 21 times. The Pac 10 won 12 of those. The SEC won the national championship so the Pac 10 is still 12-10 against the SEC including unranked UCLA beating #3 Alabama in 2000 35-24 and 20-17 in 2001. In 2008 unranked UCLA also beat #18 Tennessee and again in 2009.

The SEC doesn't own the Pac-12, I'd say the Pac-12 usually gets the better end of their matchups. LSU has dominated in the conference matchups but most of them coming against the bottom tier. And even then they've had some trouble. They won by 1 against Oregon St. at home when ranked 4th and favored by 18.

I don't think you've been watching SEC dominated Pac-12 football this last decade thats for sure.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/01/06/pac-10-doesnt-take-a-backseat-to-sec-in-head-to-head-matchups/

LouPhinFan
12-21-2011, 08:14 PM

LSU gave up 533 yards to total offense to WVU, a team running a brand new offense to them (a Big 12 offense at that). WVU scored 21 points. Bobby Petrino's offense is ranked 27th this year, that's both a testament and an indictment of SEC defenses. It's testament that the Arkansas offense is only 27th and not top 10 (like it was here at U of L) but it's also an indictment because it's 27th and most all the others are down close to and in the triple digits.

Alabama's numbers might be the most inflated of them all. Looking at their schedule and yikes that's not exactly a murderer's row of offensive prowess. Both conference and nonconference.

TedSlimmJr
12-21-2011, 08:43 PM
LSU gave up 533 yards to total offense to WVU, a team running a brand new offense to them (a Big 12 offense at that). WVU scored 21 points. Bobby Petrino's offense is ranked 27th this year, that's both a testament and an indictment of SEC defenses. It's testament that the Arkansas offense is only 27th and not top 10 (like it was here at U of L) but it's also an indictment because it's 27th and most all the others are down close to and in the triple digits.

Alabama's numbers might be the most inflated of them all. Looking at their schedule and yikes that's not exactly a murderer's row of offensive prowess. Both conference and nonconference.

LSU was up 27-7 on West Virginia at halftime. John Chavis started playing a soft Cover-2 in the second half of that game giving up all the underneath completions. LSU didn't care if Geno Smith was padding his stats as long as they weren't allowed to score. WV had to throw it 65 times in order to pile up those yards, which played right into what LSU wanted them to do.... lead to turnovers.

Alabama shuts down Bobby Petrino's offense every year he's been at Arkansas. He averages about 14 points per game against Bama's defense and is 0-3. We had backups and 3rd stringers playing the entire 4th quarter this year against Arkansas.

Alabama hasn't allowed a RB to break 100 yards against them since 2007 when BenJarvis Green-Ellis was at Ole Miss. The longest run Bama's defense has allowed from scrimmage all year is an 18 yard scramble by Jordan Jefferson.

It's the offensive stats from other conferences that are inflated, mainly from the Big-12, and the SEC proves that every year in bowl games. The Big-12 is nothing more than C-USA with bigger stadiums. All offense and no defense. It's like an NBA basketball game.

TedSlimmJr
12-21-2011, 08:56 PM
I remember USC running circles around SEC defenses a few years back. CAL split with Tennessee putting up 45 on them in the win.

From 2000 to 2010 the SEC has played the PAC 10 21 times. The Pac 10 won 12 of those. The SEC won the national championship so the Pac 10 is still 12-10 against the SEC including unranked UCLA beating #3 Alabama in 2000 35-24 and 20-17 in 2001. In 2008 unranked UCLA also beat #18 Tennessee and again in 2009.

The SEC doesn't own the Pac-12, I'd say the Pac-12 usually gets the better end of their matchups. LSU has dominated in the conference matchups but most of them coming against the bottom tier. And even then they've had some trouble. They won by 1 against Oregon St. at home when ranked 4th and favored by 18.

I don't think you've been watching SEC dominated Pac-12 football this last decade thats for sure.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/01/06/pac-10-doesnt-take-a-backseat-to-sec-in-head-to-head-matchups/

It's more of the Big-12 that gets dominated by the SEC, but Oregon's schtick of running up the score on helpless Pac-10 defenses while making voters think they're really a top 3 program comes to a screeching halt when they face SEC defenses. Auburn did it to them last year, and Auburn's defense was terrible.

Oregon had no chance against LSU.... but they go right back to running up the score again on Pac-12 defenses.

I remember when Oklahoma's offense in 2003 led by Heisman Trophy winner Jason White was considered the best offense there's ever been in college football. I remember those words vividly. They averaged 50 PPG against every opponent that year, except Alabama and LSU.

That was a 4-9 Alabama team that was one of the worst Bama teams of the last 50 years.... Oklahoma could only score 14 points on Bama... and needed a fake punt to score 20. That same offense was shut down by LSU in the BCS title game... again held to 14 points.

I remember when Alabama shut down Texas Tech and Mike Leach's Airraid attack in the Cotton Bowl in 2005.. held Texas Tech to 10 points.... the lowest point total they'd been held to since 2001.

Oklahoma's offense led by Sam Bradford was again dubbed the best offense college football history, comparable to the 2003 Sooner offense. They were the first team to ever score 60+ points in 5 straight games. They could only score 14 points against Florida in the national title game.

Miami's offense led by Heisman Trophy winner Gino Toretta was the most potent offense in the entire country in 1992. They didn't even score an offensive touchdown against Bama's defense in the Sugar Bowl on the way to a 34-13 blowout.

Bama's defense dominated Texas in the BCS championship game in '09 and knocked Colt McCoy out of the game.

There are several mediocre defenses in the SEC, but the point is when elite SEC defenses are matched up against the elite offenses from other conferences, those offenses flail away helplessly.

DudeleBroski
12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Not sure the 09 championship is a great example. Garret Gilbert was thrown in as a freshman with no experience and actually made it a game. Gilbert is garbage.

TedSlimmJr
12-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure the 09 championship is a great example. Garret Gilbert was thrown in as a freshman with no experience and actually made it a game. Gilbert is garbage.

No he didn't. Nick Saban made it a game by calling off the dogs in the 2nd half due to being up 24-6 at halftime. They allowed Jordan Shipley to be matched up 1-on-1 with a safety in man coverage, which is a mismatch. That's how Texas got back in the game.

Once Bama felt the score was getting too close again, Saban cranked it back up and the same things that occurred in the 1st half happened in the 2nd half. Sacks and fumbles forced by Bama's defense.

If you want to see what an 'inflated' or skewed defensive statistic looks like, look no further than the Longhorns #1 ranked rushing defense in the country in '09. Both Bama's runningbacks rushed for over 100 yards against Texas. Texas had the "#1" rushing defense in the country because the Big-12 doesn't run the football. They had no shot at stopping Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson from doing whatever they wanted.

LouPhinFan
12-21-2011, 09:34 PM
LSU was up 27-7 on West Virginia at halftime. John Chavis started playing a soft Cover-2 in the second half of that game giving up all the underneath completions. LSU didn't care if Geno Smith was padding his stats as long as they weren't allowed to score. WV had to throw it 65 times in order to pile up those yards, which played right into what LSU wanted them to do.... lead to turnovers.

Alabama shuts down Bobby Petrino's offense every year he's been at Arkansas. He averages about 14 points per game against Bama's defense and is 0-3. We had backups and 3rd stringers playing the entire 4th quarter this year against Arkansas.

Alabama hasn't allowed a RB to break 100 yards against them since 2007 when BenJarvis Green-Ellis was at Ole Miss. The longest run Bama's defense has allowed from scrimmage all year is an 18 yard scramble by Jordan Jefferson.

It's the offensive stats from other conferences that are inflated, mainly from the Big-12, and the SEC proves that every year in bowl games. The Big-12 is nothing more than C-USA with bigger stadiums. All offense and no defense. It's like an NBA basketball game.

Points taken.

DudeleBroski
12-21-2011, 10:57 PM
No he didn't. Nick Saban made it a game by calling off the dogs in the 2nd half due to being up 24-6 at halftime. They allowed Jordan Shipley to be matched up 1-on-1 with a safety in man coverage, which is a mismatch. That's how Texas got back in the game.

Once Bama felt the score was getting too close again, Saban cranked it back up and the same things that occurred in the 1st half happened in the 2nd half. Sacks and fumbles forced by Bama's defense.

If you want to see what an 'inflated' or skewed defensive statistic looks like, look no further than the Longhorns #1 ranked rushing defense in the country in '09. Both Bama's runningbacks rushed for over 100 yards against Texas. Texas had the "#1" rushing defense in the country because the Big-12 doesn't run the football. They had no shot at stopping Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson from doing whatever they wanted.

Texas sure didnt. Colt threw the ball 500 times in 09. He was their offense. Who was our leading rusher that year? Tre? Star QB goes down and UT rolls with a freshman who cant beat out Case Mccoy in the biggest game he'll ever play in. I'm surprised the score wasn't worse. I'm still trying to remember UT/Bama's all time head to head record :brewskis:

I hope the running game gets going next year with Bergeron/Malcolm/Gray.

TedSlimmJr
12-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Texas sure didnt. Colt threw the ball 500 times in 09. He was their offense. Who was our leading rusher that year? Tre? Star QB goes down and UT rolls with a freshman who cant beat out Case Mccoy in the biggest game he'll ever play in. I'm surprised the score wasn't worse. I'm still trying to remember UT/Bama's all time head to head record :brewskis:

I hope the running game gets going next year with Bergeron/Malcolm/Gray.

Coach Mack should've gotten his freshman QB some playing time on the backside of some of those blowouts along the way instead of trying to pad Colt McCoy's Heisman stats.... maybe he would've had a QB with some game experience under his belt.

That's the problem you run into if your team is built around one person, particularly the quarterback when you're running a spread offense. If he gets hurt, you're done.

That whipping Bama put on him is what made Mack go back and re-evaluate his philosophy. He realized he got caught up the in the Big-12 fad of the finesse offense without a legitimate running game. He immediately began recruiting big time backs again like Malcolm Brown, etc. in an attempt to get back to playing tackle football again. I think he did the right thing by hiring Harsin away from Boise St.

All kidding aside, I've always had tremendous respect for the Longhorns and their program. They have one of the richest and storied traditions in college athletics.

Coach Royal is who Bear used to call when he wanted input on the wishbone. He talked Bear into running the wishbone.

WitheringPlant
12-22-2011, 12:38 AM
It's more of the Big-12 that gets dominated by the SEC, but Oregon's schtick of running up the score on helpless Pac-10 defenses while making voters think they're really a top 3 program comes to a screeching halt when they face SEC defenses. Auburn did it to them last year, and Auburn's defense was terrible.

Oregon had no chance against LSU.... but they go right back to running up the score again on Pac-12 defenses.

I remember when Oklahoma's offense in 2003 led by Heisman Trophy winner Jason White was considered the best offense there's ever been in college football. I remember those words vividly. They averaged 50 PPG against every opponent that year, except Alabama and LSU.

That was a 4-9 Alabama team that was one of the worst Bama teams of the last 50 years.... Oklahoma could only score 14 points on Bama... and needed a fake punt to score 20. That same offense was shut down by LSU in the BCS title game... again held to 14 points.

I remember when Alabama shut down Texas Tech and Mike Leach's Airraid attack in the Cotton Bowl in 2005.. held Texas Tech to 10 points.... the lowest point total they'd been held to since 2001.

Oklahoma's offense led by Sam Bradford was again dubbed the best offense college football history, comparable to the 2003 Sooner offense. They were the first team to ever score 60+ points in 5 straight games. They could only score 14 points against Florida in the national title game.

Miami's offense led by Heisman Trophy winner Gino Toretta was the most potent offense in the entire country in 1992. They didn't even score an offensive touchdown against Bama's defense in the Sugar Bowl on the way to a 34-13 blowout.

Bama's defense dominated Texas in the BCS championship game in '09 and knocked Colt McCoy out of the game.

There are several mediocre defenses in the SEC, but the point is when elite SEC defenses are matched up against the elite offenses from other conferences, those offenses flail away helplessly.
Nice job ignoring the USC point.

TedSlimmJr
12-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Nice job ignoring the USC point.

Forgive me.

2002- USC beat a 4-loss, unranked Auburn team by a touchdown. That Auburn team lost to Arkansas by 3 TD's.

2003 - USC beat a 5 loss, unranked Auburn team. That Auburn team lost to LSU and UGA by 20+ points.

2005- USC team beat a 7 loss, unranked Arkansas team that also lost to Vanderbilt.

2006- USC beat a 4 loss Arkansas team that took 2 overtimes to beat Bama by 1 point.

What exactly is it you Pac-10 pissants are looking for? A pat on the back for beating the bottom of the barrell in the SEC?

ChambersWI
12-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Last I heard Osweiler will stay at ASU another year.

Same here, but that was BEFORE Graham got hired, and BEFORE all the backlash he got. And if he has a good bowl game, he's gonna have some love. I know CK is high on him, but he's got size, arm strength, mobility, and character. Might be worth a look. And I never said he was entering. I just think he'll see what grade he has.

Personally, if I'm him, I enter now. Losing a few weapons and switching to an offense that will kill his stats.

Kistner10
12-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Forgive me.

2002- USC beat a 4-loss, unranked Auburn team by a touchdown. That Auburn team lost to Arkansas by 3 TD's.

2003 - USC beat a 5 loss, unranked Auburn team. That Auburn team lost to LSU and UGA by 20+ points.

2005- USC team beat a 7 loss, unranked Arkansas team that also lost to Vanderbilt.

2006- USC beat a 4 loss Arkansas team that took 2 overtimes to beat Bama by 1 point.

What exactly is it you Pac-10 pissants are looking for? A pat on the back for beating the bottom of the barrell in the SEC?

Auburn was ranked number 6 in the nation and favorites over USC when USC beat them 23-0. USC put up 70 and 50 on Arkansas. So much for that SEC defense.

I already posted the link that showed you that the Pac 12 owns the head to head match up since 2000. Look at the point spread as well. Even the bottom Pac 12 teams stick with SEC pretty well.

SEC defenses are great, but most of it comes from the fact that SEC offense's suck. Again look at what Pac 12 offenses do against them.

TedSlimmJr
12-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Auburn was ranked number 6 in the nation and favorites over USC when USC beat them 23-0. USC put up 70 and 50 on Arkansas. So much for that SEC defense.

I already posted the link that showed you that the Pac 12 owns the head to head match up since 2000. Look at the point spread as well. Even the bottom Pac 12 teams stick with SEC pretty well.

SEC defenses are great, but most of it comes from the fact that SEC offense's suck. Again look at what Pac 12 offenses do against them.

It doesn't matter that Auburn was ranked #6 before they even played a game. They were a 5 loss football team that season and finished unranked.

Hell, Florida was undefeated and ranked #12 in the country at the beginning of October this year when Bama went on the road and beat 'em 38-10. Fact of the matter is, Florida is a 6-6 football team and unranked.

None of these teams USC played had elite SEC defenses.... the best SEC team listed there has 4 losses, and was blown out by several other SEC teams.

The Pac-10 hasn't done a damn thing against an elite SEC defense.... the beatdown LSU put on Oregon is the closest thing you'll ever see.

Kistner10
12-22-2011, 03:18 AM
It doesn't matter that Auburn was ranked #6 before they even played a game. They were a 5 loss football team that season and finished unranked.

Hell, Florida was undefeated and ranked #12 in the country at the beginning of October this year when Bama went on the road and beat 'em 38-10. Fact of the matter is, Florida is a 6-6 football team and unranked.

None of these teams USC played had elite SEC defenses.... the best SEC team listed there has 4 losses, and was blown out by several other SEC teams.

The Pac-10 hasn't done a damn thing against an elite SEC defense.... the beatdown LSU put on Oregon is the closest thing you'll ever see.

So if there is only a couple of elite SEC defenses out there than why do their offenses stink so bad?

WitheringPlant
12-22-2011, 06:57 AM

You're in dream land if you don't think Matt, Reggie, and the boys would have dropped a load all over any SEC defense. Simple as that.

ckparrothead
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
The original poster is going to end up looking like he made a pretty darn good call if it's true that Barkley, Griffin and Landry Jones are all returning to school!

WelcomeBack
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
The original poster is going to end up looking like he made a pretty darn good call if it's true that Barkley, Griffin and Landry Jones are all returning to school!

He may be right, now haha.

But 'draft eligible' is where he went wrong haha. If it was just 2nd best quarterback in the draft, it could be right after these reports.

ginn and juice
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Haha. I've got connections at USC, Baylor, and Oklahoma.

But seriously, I like him better than all three of those guys. Don't like Jones or Griffin, and have big doubts about Barkley. I actually think Kirk Cousins is underrated, though.

ckparrothead
12-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Haha. I've got connections at USC, Baylor, and Oklahoma.

But seriously, I like him better than all three of those guys. Don't like Jones or Griffin, and have big doubts about Barkley. I actually think Kirk Cousins is underrated, though.

There's no way I could put Tyler Wilson above Barkley. Or Brandon Weeden for that matter. Or Brock Osweiler. But I don't dislike Wilson.

Roman529
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
We might want to draft a QB next year and just let Moore have a shot at playing a whole season in 2012. I like Brock Osweiler of ASU....he is 6'8" and is not a statue like a lot of tall QB's. He has really good mobility and throwing motion for a big man. Take a look at some vids of Osweiler on YouTube if you haven't seen him play. He gets a lot of passes off to Aaron Pflugrad, who is a Wes Welker type of receiver. They are both from Montana and I can see them both in the NFL.

ckparrothead
12-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Osweiler's throwing motion is getting better and more natural, but it's not there yet. He's one that I really would like to see go back for another year, to see what he's got.

But...I'd take him. I like the guy.

Roman529
12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Osweiler's throwing motion is getting better and more natural, but it's not there yet. He's one that I really would like to see go back for another year, to see what he's got.

But...I'd take him. I like the guy.

Osweiler is pretty raw, and only has started one year at ASU....he will be playing in a bowl tonight as ASU takes on Boise State.

TedSlimmJr
12-22-2011, 08:07 PM
So if there is only a couple of elite SEC defenses out there than why do their offenses stink so bad?

You're going to have to explain what you mean by this, as I don't follow what you mean. You're going to have to back this up with something.

I have seen what 'special' offenses from the Pac-10, Big-12, Big-10, and ACC have done against elite SEC defenses, and it ain't pretty.

I've seen what 'mediocre' offenses from the SEC have done against top defenses from other conferences.

How far back would you like to go?