jim1
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Obviously came out before the Barkley announcement

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

Roman529
12-22-2011, 06:23 PM

I'd take Mo Claiborne, LSU's CB if he is on the board when we draft. Weeden would be a nice pick but not in Round 1. I am not sure he would make it to round two, but that's our problem every year.,,,,we don't draft early enough to take a top qb, and then we get left holding the bag with "average" qb's later on. Maybe we can work out a deal for Peyton Manning if the Colts decide not to bring him back?

hooshoops
12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
whats up with the juron criner in the top 20 and kendall wright still on the board at #55...that stuffs crazy to me...and alshon jeffery i have concerns about his speed which i think could drop him pretty good...and when i look at the first 3 rounds of that draft i'm sorry but i'm not in love with the depth...

i don't think this drafts near as deep as the last 2

jim1
12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I'd take Mo Claiborne, LSU's CB if he is on the board when we draft. Weeden would be a nice pick but not in Round 1. I am not sure he would make it to round two, but that's our problem every year.,,,,we don't draft early enough to take a top qb, and then we get left holding the bag with "average" qb's later on. Maybe we can work out a deal for Peyton Manning if the Colts decide not to bring him back?

That's the dilemma. In my opinion Weeden is the best, most NFL ready QB coming out, but the age issue is problematic- not by any means a deal breaker though. I would be happy to get him with a trade down in the 1st round, and even if he were taken #10 overall, which I doubt, my feeling would be that we just got the best QB in the draft. I think that the most likely scenario would be, if we were to make a play for him, trading our 2nd rd pick and a 3rd to get him late in the 1st round, or even more likely our 2nd and 4th round picks to move up in the 2nd round to secure him. With the likes of Cleveland, Seattle and Washington lurking around, all the more dangerous with Barkley not being available to one of those teams in the 1st round, I'd be thrilled to move up and get him- that would be a positive and aggressive move, well worth a 4th round pick or a 3rd if necessary.

People can say what they want about Weeden, but I see a ton of talent there, both physically and mentally. If there's a better arm in college football than Weeden's, in terms of strength, accuracy and touch, I haven't seen it.

MiamiDolphin618
12-22-2011, 08:12 PM
I cant see Mo being there when we pick...but if he is I would be running the card up to the podium. He is a stud...and then we could either move SS to FS as CK and some others have suggested..keep him for versatility and depth..or look to include him in a trade to move back into the 1st for another impact player

jim1
12-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I cant see Mo being there when we pick...but if he is I would be running the card up to the podium. He is a stud...and then we could either move SS to FS as CK and some others have suggested..keep him for versatility and depth..or look to include him in a trade to move back into the 1st for another impact player

I don't see how it would be possible for Claiborne to be there, but if he or Blackmon were available, I don't see how you pass on one of them, except for Weeden if you can recognize his talent and think outside the box. But I don't see that happening, at least not yet. The most interesting draft story will remain to be Weeden, imo- his stock can still climb. How could the guy not be rated even higher after the bowl games, combine, all star games, etc? He has the best arm out there and he'll show it off. He's an intelligent, personable guy and that will show through as well. His only real weakness imo is his age, and he can still, easily, have a solid 8 year career. In his eighth year he'll turn 36- is it really all that bad?

Regardless, I still think that Weeden has the best arm in college football and he's the best QB in college football- bar none. This Draft Tek mock is the second that I've seen with Weeden projected in the top ten- I think that the list will grow, especially with Barkley/Jones staying in school. I'm not a huge Barkley fan, and Landry Jones- if he were available in the 4th round I don't think that I would take him. Opinionated sob that I am, I just don't like Landry Jones.

We all have our opinions, but to me Weeden is clearly a superior talent. A sure fire top ten pick- top five pick in my opinion- if it weren't for the age issue. I honestly do not see how he won't be chased, at the latest, high in the 2nd round, especially with Barkley/Jones out of the picture. If Jeff Ireland is smart, assuming that he doesn't pull the trigger on RGIII in the 1st rd if available, he'll go after Weeden -hard- in a trade down or a 2nd round trade up.

Kistner10
12-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Weeden at 10??? And before Landry Jones and RGIII??? I'm not a huge fan of Jones, but there is NO way Weeden goes before him.

Also Criner won't be a first round pick, let alone number 17.

jim1
12-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Weeden at 10??? And before Landry Jones and RGIII??? I'm not a huge fan of Jones, but there is NO way Weeden goes before him.

Also Criner won't be a first round pick, let alone number 17.

In my opinion anyone who would draft Landry Jones before Brandon Weeden should (metaphorically) be shot. And then hung. And then burned to a crisp. Landry Jones absolutely blows relative to Brandon Weeden, pales in comparison. For the life of me, age issue or no age issue, I don't see how anyone could draft Jones over Weeden. The short version of my thesis is this: if you watch Landry Jones play, you'll see a solid, strong arm with pretty good accuracy. And that's it. Is it as good as Weeden's arm? No, not even close. Weeden has a special arm. But there are plenty of guys who can throw the heck out of a football working at Pizza Hut, Burger King, MCD, Taco Bell, take your pick. Plenty of Eddie Blakes have come and gone in terms of positional busts- the point being that a good arm isn't the end all and be all of NFL Quarterbacking, and just size and power don't necessarliy make an NFL Guard. Sure Coach Shula, I know the playbook, it's just like Auburn's. Would you like pepperoni and sausage on that pizza?

But Landry Jones- aside from a nice arm, I just don't see it- at all. I see an NFL bust. It's just my opinion, but if you don't think that a guy can cut it in the NFL, why draft him at all? Said it before, I'll say it again- I remain confused by Mario Harvey and John Clay not being drafted, especially Harvey, and I would have drafted Clay way before the 7th rd despite the speed and injury concerns. If Landry Jones is drafted in the 1st round- I'll be equally as amazed. The dude will, in my opinion, be hard pressed to play quality NFL ball for any extended period of time. Maybe an emergency backup guy, at best.

http://draftmetrics.com/files/neverplayed.pdf

Kistner10
12-24-2011, 12:05 AM
In my opinion anyone who would draft Landry Jones before Brandon Weeden should (metaphorically) be shot. And then hung. And then burned to a crisp. Landry Jones absolutely blows relative to Brandon Weeden, pales in comparison. For the life of me, age issue or no age issue, I don't see how anyone could draft Jones over Weeden. The short version of my thesis is this: if you watch Landry Jones play, you'll see a solid, strong arm with pretty good accuracy. And that's it. Is it as good as Weeden's arm? No, not even close. Weeden has a special arm. But there are plenty of guys who can throw the heck out of a football working at Pizza Hut, Burger King, MCD, Taco Bell, take your pick. Plenty of Eddie Blakes have come and gone in terms of positional busts- the point being that a good arm isn't the end all and be all of NFL Quarterbacking, and just size and power don't necessarliy make an NFL Guard. Sure Coach Shula, I know the playbook, it's just like Auburn's. Would you like pepperoni and sausage on that pizza?

But Landry Jones- aside from a nice arm, I just don't see it- at all. I see an NFL bust. It's just my opinion, but if you don't think that a guy can cut it in the NFL, why draft him at all? Said it before, I'll say it again- I remain confused by Mario Harvey and John Clay not being drafted, especially Harvey, and I would have drafted Clay way before the 7th rd despite the speed and injury concerns. If Landry Jones is drafted in the 1st round- I'll be equally as amazed. The dude will, in my opinion, be hard pressed to play quality NFL ball for any extended period of time. Maybe an emergency backup guy, at best.

http://draftmetrics.com/files/neverplayed.pdf

I'm not agrguing with you on Jones. I don't think he's going to make a good pro unless he goes back to school and works really hard on improving his problems.

I'm just saying that all problems aside, Jones will go before Weeden. If this is a mock, I don't see how it has Weeden going before him let alone Weeden before RGIII.

hooshoops
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
if thinking outside the box as i keep hearing mentioned here means drafting a qb who's 28 gonna be a 29 year old rookie in the top 10 i'll just stay inside the box thank you very much...

DudeleBroski
12-24-2011, 12:39 AM
if thinking outside the box as i keep hearing mentioned here means drafting a qb who's 28 gonna be a 29 year old rookie in the top 10 i'll just stay inside the box thank you very much... Trading back into the late first for b.weed doesn't sound bad at all. We can still pick up a stud with our 1st pick

KTOWNFINFAN
12-24-2011, 03:04 AM
If we are going to trade a top ten pick for a QB over 28 his name better be Peyton Manning!!!

sinPHIN
12-24-2011, 03:52 AM
weeden over rg3 **** that, maybe in the second but there is no way i draft him in the first. im sorry but i had to stop after that

jim1
12-24-2011, 09:36 AM
if thinking outside the box as i keep hearing mentioned here means drafting a qb who's 28 gonna be a 29 year old rookie in the top 10 i'll just stay inside the box thank you very much...

All the better, as your posts indicate that "inside the box" is where you belong and is what you're capable of. You probably shouldn't venture outside the box much, if at all.

The Weeden age situation is both curious and problematic. But again, I'm approaching it from two angles:

1. He is imo the best QB available, bar none, with easliy the best arm.

2. He will turn 36 in his eighth year. He has time to have a relatively full career.

Weeden will get pushed up draft boards because of Barkley/Jones staying in school. And he'll be pushed down because the NFL is a copycat league, and even though there are some examples of similar aged players entering the league such as Staubach, Moon and Warner, front offices don't want to risk looking bad drafting a 28 soon to be 29 year old- if the pick fails the critics will surely emerge. Whoever would make that pick would certainly have critical thinking ability and, for sure, balls.

Would I make that pick? I'd certaintly be tempted. But my best guess, as I've said before, is Weeden drafted in a 1st rd trade down or even more likely a 2nd rd trade up. Like Christian Ponder last draft and Tebow the draft before, I'll have no idea where Weeden really stands until the draft. Everything else is just static, all opinions until then are just white noise, meaningless, including of course my own.

39wildman
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
so if we draft weeden28 he will be ready to bench moore as qb of dolphins. i doudt that. he is already 28 so is moore. he doesnt have time to play around in nfl. sound like bust to me.waste pick on bench... if you cannot get luck,rg3,jones.get best player available dolphins have other need also.

jim1
12-27-2011, 11:54 PM
so if we draft weeden28 he will be ready to bench moore as qb of dolphins. i doudt that. he is already 28 so is moore. he doesnt have time to play around in nfl. sound like bust to me.waste pick on bench... if you cannot get luck,rg3,jones.get best player available dolphins have other need also.

If Weeden wasn't outstanding I wouldn't be interested either. But he is. Even if he sat the first year he could still have 7 or 8 very good years, and I'll take them. One year on the bench wouldn't make Weeden a wate of a pick, I don't see that at all.

Zounds
12-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Draftek is a joke. The mock was published after Barkley said he was returning for another year, and susequently edited on the 25th, but they still had him going #4 overall to Jacksonville. Also, Brandon Weeded is not getting drafted in the top 10....and RGIII sliding to #15? really?

Kdawg954
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I like Weeden, but any GM putting his neck out on the line to draft a guy who will be 29 at some point next season and has the baseball history and wear and tear on his arm like he has gone through needs to be ensured that he will never be able to work as a GM in the NFL again unless he absolutely destroys **** his rookie season.

Weeden can't even be Andy Dalton good, he needs to far exceed those expectations because there is a more limited window with him. Trust me, I don't mind taking that gamble, but not top 10 . . . it is too risky and I'm not guaranted the results. If it happens it happens, I'll root heavily for Weeden but if he fails . . . well then the criticism that follows will be well worth . . . this is not a gamble, that is just plain stupid.

jim1
12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I like Weeden, but any GM putting his neck out on the line to draft a guy who will be 29 at some point next season and has the baseball history and wear and tear on his arm like he has gone through needs to be ensured that he will never be able to work as a GM in the NFL again unless he absolutely destroys **** his rookie season.

Weeden can't even be Andy Dalton good, he needs to far exceed those expectations because there is a more limited window with him. Trust me, I don't mind taking that gamble, but not top 10 . . . it is too risky and I'm not guaranted the results. If it happens it happens, I'll root heavily for Weeden but if he fails . . . well then the criticism that follows will be well worth . . . this is not a gamble, that is just plain stupid.

"Andy Dalton good" would be considered just fine by most, and Dalton's arm, though solid, isn't nearly as good as Weeden's. Weeden has a lot more overall potential than Dalton imo.

Everyone talks about Weeden, who is 6-4, 220 lbs. with the best arm in college football and a good, mature head on his shoulders, as being a huge risk.
If that's the case, how does it compare to the RG III risk factor? He'll probably measure in at around 6-1.5, 205 lbs and he doesn't necessarily seem dedicated to pro football or making a long career out of the NFL. His priority seems to be becoming a lawyer. Does he take his first contract and bolt?

Also, he's an undersized, super athletic, running QB who has aready shredded an ACL- where does that rate on the risk meter? Is there a greater example of a boom/bust prospect in the entire draft? And yet people serioulsy think that Weeden is a bigger risk because he's 28 and had some baseball related shoulder injuries that apparently have no effect on him as per throwing the football?

To anyone who sees Weeden as a greater risk than RGIII- I would suggest that you take another, closer look. And if RGIII fails, gets seriously injured with that undersized frame, or bolts to law school after his first contract, would selecting him be "just plain stupid" as well? Does selecting RGIII somehow come with the guarantee that you wanted in a Weeden selection? Can you guarantee that RGIII will be worthy of the money and the high draft pick pick, and he won't get injured, quit, or just plain suck?

Kdawg954
12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
"Andy Dalton good" would be considered just fine by most, and Dalton's arm, though solid, isn't nearly as good as Weeden's. Weeden has a lot more overall potential than Dalton imo.

Everyone talks about Weeden, who is 6-4, 220 lbs. with the best arm in college football and a good, mature head on his shoulders, as being a huge risk.
If that's the case, how does it compare to the RG III risk factor? He'll probably measure in at around 6-1.5, 205 lbs and he doesn't necessarily seem dedicated to pro football or making a long career out of the NFL. His priority seems to be becoming a lawyer. Does he take his first contract and bolt?

Also, he's an undersized, super athletic, running QB who has aready shredded an ACL- where does that rate on the risk meter? Is there a greater example of a boom/bust prospect in the entire draft? And yet people serioulsy think that Weeden is a bigger risk because he's 28 and had some baseball related shoulder injuries that apparently have no effect on him as per throwing the football?

To anyone who sees Weeden as a greater risk than RGIII- I would suggest that you take another, closer look. And if RGIII fails, gets seriously injured with that undersized frame, or bolts to law school after his first contract, would selecting him be "just plain stupid" as well? Does selecting RGIII somehow come with the guarantee that you wanted in a Weeden selection? Can you guarantee that RGIII will be worthy of the money and the high draft pick pick, and he won't get injured, quit, or just plain suck?

Andy Dalton good would be great if the guy were 21 or 22, he is 29 next year . . . I can't cosign top 10 for him (remember Dalton was a 2nd rounder, this mock is saying Weeden top 10)

The ceiling for RG3 is damn near unlimited. Dude has the work ethic, he has the arm, he is a spectacular athlete and lets not fool ourselves, the kid may score in the 40's on the wonderlic so you know he has the brains, which tends to be the knock on black, athletic QB's.

I think Miami should take a swing at Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, keep Matt Moore and develop RG3 . . . . With Weeden you are just creating a QB battle in which I'm not sure he wins against Matt Moore. You can't sit on Weeden if you take him top 10, you can with RG3.

Roman529
12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
I think Miami should take a swing at Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, keep Matt Moore and develop RG3 . . . . .

The Brees horse left the barn about six years ago because our bright GM and doctors thought Brees' arm/shoulder were done, so we went after Daunte Culpooper. We have made nothing but bad decisions for about 20 years. Think about how different this team would have been with Brees, and Patrick Willis at MLB, instead of Ted Ginn, Jr. We could have had Darrelle Revis as well in that draft. I don't think we can keep wasting 2nd rounders on guys like Beck, Henne, etc. Either we have to go all in and use up a ton of draft picks on Luck and RG3, or go for the BPA's and find a QB through a trade/free agency or put it off another year.

PJack
12-29-2011, 12:11 AM
I would hope Weeden was physically better than a 21 year old kid. He's a man in his athletic prime that played against much more raw talent on a weekly basis. I agree the guy has talent, but at 29, you just can't draft him early. I wouldn't be upset at taking him in the 3rd, but I know he likely won't last that long. IMO, however, the 3rd is where his value lies given he's not a lock and you've already lost 7-8 years of NFL development and experience.

Kdawg954
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I would hope Weeden was physically better than a 21 year old kid. He's a man in his athletic prime that played against much more raw talent on a weekly basis. I agree the guy has talent, but at 29, you just can't draft him early. I wouldn't be upset at taking him in the 3rd, but I know he likely won't last that long. IMO, however, the 3rd is where his value lies given he's not a lock and you've already lost 7-8 years of NFL development and experience.

That's the thing, I mean if you were guaranteed that he would be a top 10 QB in the NFL, then you can take him at #10, the fact that there is never any guarantees makes taking him top 10 in the draft extremely foolish and any GM willing to do that needs to realize his job is on the line immediately because at 29, there is no time to "develop" him. He needs to make it happen right away.

hooshoops
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
"andy dalton good" is not good enough either...

SMadison29
12-30-2011, 12:46 AM
This mock draft is a perfect example of why not to do crack.