PDA

View Full Version : How Barkley's decision hurts Dolphins

DKphin
12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
USC's Matt Barkley, arguably the second-best quarterback prospect behind Stanford's Andrew Luck, decided to return to college for his senior year (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7380760/matt-barkley-usc-trojans-says-staying-school) on Thursday. That was bad news for the Miami Dolphins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/mia/miami-dolphins), who certainly would have been a top target for Barkley in next April's NFL draft.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2013/09/miagif-1.jpgMiami's biggest priorities this offseason are finding a new coach and a long-term solution at quarterback. Barkley's return to school makes the latter search much more difficult.

There were expected to be four first-round quarterbacks in college this season. Luck will be long gone with the No. 1 overall pick. With Barkley's exit, that leaves Baylor's Robert Griffin III and Oklahoma's Landry Jones.

Miami currently holds the No. 8 overall pick and could lose out on Griffin -- who won this year's Heisman Trophy award. According to the latest mock draft by ESPN's Todd McShay, Griffin could go to the Washington Redskins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins) at No. 7. I think the Cleveland Browns (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cle/cleveland-browns), who currently sit at No. 4, also are a possibility.

With no Luck, Barkley or Griffin, that would leave Jones as the only first-round option for Miami. Jones has a great arm. But he lacks mobility and, in my opinion, has the biggest bust potential of the four quarterbacks.

If Jones is the only quarterback choice in the first round, it will be interesting to see the Dolphins' draft strategy. Veteran quarterback Matt Moore (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11128/matt-moore) has played solid this season and is 5-5 as a starter.

Maybe Barkley's decision will force Miami to fill another need other than quarterback in the first round.http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/36037/how-barkley%E2%80%99s-decision-hurts-dolphins

dlockz
12-22-2011, 07:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/36037/how-barkley’s-decision-hurts-dolphins

thats our story every year and look how thats working out for us

TheJetsBlow
12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Same ****. Different year. There are days where I think this franchise will never draft a halfway decent QB ever again.

insomnia411
12-22-2011, 08:19 PM
This one stings A LOT. I ****ing thought this would be the year we finally found a long term solution at qb after all these damn years... More hope thwarted. ****.
I only hope this organization FINALLY grabs a hold of his nuts and makes the play for Luck or RG3 if he even ****ing comes out! GODDAMN IT!

EmperorPhin
12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
We arent getting luck and it would be suicide to do so. No player worth 4 #1 picks

BIGRED11
12-22-2011, 08:31 PM
i really just dont wanna draft RGIII

KlausC
12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
que the "I like RGIII better than Barkley and Luck anyway" posts.

Hayden Fox
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Peyton Manning?

I am surprised (not really) that the writer does not mention Tannehill.

Get another CB that can start in a year.

When Matt Moore has been protected, he has produced. Look for a RT.

Maybe another offensive weapon.

I am not worried. Relax. Lots of time needs to pass to see where things go.

Adam First
12-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Once again it looks like a player who belongs in the second half of the first round (RGIII) is going to be drafted in the Top 10.

Are we a quarterback-starved league or what?

MiZFiT
12-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Go get Luck.

BG12DM13CP10
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
No big deal, we have Matt Moore! He's 5-5 as a starter, and he is improving I hear.

dlockz
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
just wish we had been able to draft Locker last year but alas another lineman. Trading up to secure Locker would have been much less painful

Gonzo
12-22-2011, 08:51 PM
But God damn these 5 wins have been awesome! Woo.

Dolphins7273
12-22-2011, 08:53 PM
We arent getting luck and it would be suicide to do so. No player worth 4 #1 picks

How could it be suicide if we're already dead?

Vertical Limit
12-22-2011, 08:55 PM
:rolleyes2: "Let the haters say what they want, but I am enjoying the wins" and then you make this thread? You are mad bi polar and make zero sense.

MiamiDolfan85
12-22-2011, 08:56 PM
the way i see it....its RGIII,or scratch a long-term QB prospect off the list for this season.

Ilovemyfins4eva
12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
]But God damn these 5 wins have been awesome! Woo.[/B]your right that those 5 wins are nothing but in the moment enjoyment and do nothing for us, but no matter what we were never going to be able to suck bad enough to get luck, because the colts and rams are just way too bad.

luck was never ours, and barkley now that hes going back, might as well enjoy the wins because their is no amazing consolation prize anymore.

Vertical Limit
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
the way i see it....its RGIII,or scratch a long-term QB prospect off the list for this season.
It's Tannehill. He's our best option and we should take a chance at it. He will be available mid round to late round and we won't have to trade any picks for him.

Gonzo
12-22-2011, 09:04 PM
For me, trade back for Weeden or Tannehill. Roll into next year with one of them and Matt Moore in a TRUE competition. Personally, I'm hoping for Weeden in the late first/very early second.

dolpns13
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
thats our story every year and look how thats working out for us

Good thing we won all those games this year.. I wonder how all those that want us to win out feel now that we likely will not be able to get a franchise QB this year either!

dlockz
12-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Good thing we won all those games this year.. I wonder how all those that want us to win out feel now that we likely will not be able to get a franchise QB this year either!

We should pass on all these qb's again in my opinion I mean its only been almost 30 years since we drafted a first round qb whats another year lol

dolpns13
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
We should pass on all these qb's again in my opinion I mean its only been almost 30 years since we drafted a first round qb whats another year lol

Honestly what the h3ll are we going to do now. IMO Landry Jones isnt a franchise QB and is not worthy of a first round pick, maybe not even a 2nd and the idea of Weeden coming here makes me want to puke.. I havent been a "bring in Matt Flynn" proponent but IMO he is suddenly the best option we have.

utahphinsfan
12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Peyton Manning?

I am surprised (not really) that the writer does not mention Tannehill.

Get another CB that can start in a year.

When Matt Moore has been protected, he has produced. Look for a RT.

Maybe another offensive weapon.

I am not worried. Relax. Lots of time needs to pass to see where things go.

You mean like Claiborne from LSU in the 1st if he declares? Then, Adcock or Martinez from Ok State in the 3rd?

Projected OL (left to right).... Jake, Jerry, Pouncey, Ok St OG, Garner.

dlockz
Honestly what the h3ll are we going to do now. IMO Landry Jones isnt a franchise QB and is not worthy of a first round pick, maybe not even a 2nd and the idea of Weeden coming here makes me want to puke.. I havent been a "bring in Matt Flynn" proponent but IMO he is suddenly the best option we have.

I would touch Flynn with a ten foot pole, he reminds me of AJ Feeley. Jones has the talent we just need a coach that can harness it.

semperkillz
But at least we got a few meaningless wins in order to feel good about ourselves and fist pump all Sunday.

dlockz
12-22-2011, 09:21 PM
You mean like Claiborne from LSU in the 1st if he declares? Then, Adcock or Martinez from Ok State in the 3rd?

Projected OL (left to right).... Jake, Jerry, Pouncey, Ok St OG, Garner.

sounds great another year of ignoring qb its worked so well already

Valandui
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
What I want to happen: Trade back and take Weeden/Tannehill and Fleener.

What will probably happen: Draft David DeCastro at #8.

KB21
12-22-2011, 09:34 PM

Not too bad. It shows that there is a solid base of talent to build upon, and we have discovered a pretty dang good young quarterback in the process. Given the fact that the chances are very slim for the quarterback Miami taking actually becoming a franchise/elite starter, it doesn't bother me at all. The team was never bad enough to get Andrew Luck anyway, and when they finally got good quarterback play after putting Matt Moore in the game, his steady play showed that this is actually a talented team that hasn't been coached that well.

KB21
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM

What will probably happen: Draft David DeCastro at #8.

Yeah. It would be a shame to actually get another potential all pro player to go along with the one all pro and the potential all pro in Jake Long and Mike Pouncey respectively.

dlockz
Not too bad. It shows that there is a solid base of talent to build upon, and we have discovered a pretty dang good young quarterback in the process. Given the fact that the chances are very slim for the quarterback Miami taking actually becoming a franchise/elite starter, it doesn't bother me at all. The team was never bad enough to get Andrew Luck anyway, and when they finally got good quarterback play after putting Matt Moore in the game, his steady play showed that this is actually a talented team that hasn't been coached that well.

yea we are actually a .500 team hooray lol havent we been that for now like 3 years.

Austin Tatious
Anybody who wants Ryan Tannehill hasn't seen him play.

Valandui
12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah. It would be a shame to actually get another potential all pro player to go along with the one all pro and the potential all pro in Jake Long and Mike Pouncey respectively.
Yeah, why trade back and get two potential All-Pro players when you could stay put and get one?

dlockz
12-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Yea because by putting our main focus on the line we have been so successful the last three years

MARSHALL~LAW
12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Good lord! This place is freaking nuts! I come on here and all I see is a bunch of grown men whining already how we "are screwed" for next year. Damn people....dude isn't even on our team and it sounds like we just lost Peyton Manning! How do you all know Miami was even interested in the kid? Dam......quit whining! He's not the only option at QB out their! Not only could we trade up, we could also trade in free agency!

Mr. Day
12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Not if it costs the Dolphins a boat load of draft picks.

DKphin
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
:rolleyes2: "Let the haters say what they want, but I am enjoying the wins" and then you make this thread? You are mad bi polar and make zero sense.What are you talking about?

BG12DM13CP10
12-22-2011, 10:24 PM
We may already have our QB on the roster, and it's not Moore.

MiamiDolfan85
12-22-2011, 10:29 PM

What will probably happen: Draft David DeCastro at #8.lol....if its any consolation, DeCastro is said to be the best Guard to come out since Steve Hutchinson so....

MiamiDolfan85
12-22-2011, 10:31 PM
We may already have our QB on the roster, and it's not Moore......J.P Losman?

Ilovemyfins4eva
12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
We may already have our QB on the roster, and it's not Moore.so what qb can possibly be on our roster currently, and not be matt moore?

utahphinsfan
12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
sounds great another year of ignoring qb its worked so well already

Ignoring QB? Never! Isn't that what 2nd round picks are for?

I like it. Another decent option would be Foles.

Dr. Phin
Yeah. It would be a shame to actually get another potential all pro player to go along with the one all pro and the potential all pro in Jake Long and Mike Pouncey respectively.Yes, I see what you mean...with all-pros like Long and Pouncey making the team so much better...oh, wait...we are 5-9....your argument is weak!

phinfan40353
Mortgage or refinance?

There comes a point in which you have to value the skill position players that we have and how much time we have in their "window". Pouncey, Long, Marshall, Bess, Hartline and a solid backfield. We have a lot of pieces without a QB.

How many chances to get to draft an Andrew Luck?

How many years will we have this offensive talent?

If we draft without making a trade up, are you ok with a less than elite QB? (Honestly, isn't this the problem?)

The rookie wage cap is so far discounted, the picks actually lose value in respect to the past.

When do you stop complaining about not having the next Marino, while refraining from drafting him when you have the chance?

We have proven we can find undrafted gems to start in premier positions. So, why value every draft pick as if we can't live without it.

I forget exactly who answered the question, but recently on ESPN the question was asked how much is too much to pay for an Elite QB prospect. The answer was simple, no price is too much to draft an Elite QB who could change your franchise forever. (spare me the "Every player is an unknown" rhetoric.)

Every team dreams of drafting the next Elway, Marino, Manning, etc. Very few prospects come along that are a sure thing. When they do, you're either committed to getting him or you're not.

It's put up or shut up time. Pay the price, draft Luck and worry about Super Bowls. Otherwise, play it predictable and be predictable.

There should be no other directive for our FO: Get Luck. Then pour every resource in the franchise towards making him the next great legacy in Miami.

That said, if we play it safe then I'd rather see Kellen Moore be drafted by trading down in the first or up in the second. But I'll be greatly disappointed if the new regime can't learn from the last regime's mistake. If we don't do it now, all the "building" we've been doing was just to keep us mediocre.

Gonzo
12-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Anybody who wants Ryan Tannehill hasn't seen him play.Saw him plenty when I was unfortunately stuck in texass. From what I've seen, his biggest weaknesses are his inexperience and his deep ball accuracy. The only people I've met that are 100% against him are UT fans. I have no problem with drafting him and working him with Moore if we can't get Weeden or RGIII.

Gsmack_42
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Good lord! This place is freaking nuts! I come on here and all I see is a bunch of grown men whining already how we "are screwed" for next year. Damn people....dude isn't even on our team and it sounds like we just lost Peyton Manning! How do you all know Miami was even interested in the kid? Dam......quit whining! He's not the only option at QB out their! Not only could we trade up, we could also trade in free agency!

Question how the hell do you trade for a free agent, is that you Dave or is it Rick.