PDA

View Full Version : Colts wont take Luck

Phinfan31
12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Why is everyone so convinced that the colts are gonna take Luck?

They have a legend in peyton manning who still has a solid 3 yrs left
Manning family has spoken. They wont be on the same team
If they were to trade they can fill a ton of holes And still get a qb later
They wont abandon manning...period. He is the face of their franchise
The fans would riot.

Draft day always surprises...i think the colts bite on the best trade offer.

Dogbone34
12-22-2011, 08:34 PM
colts can't afford not to take luck. if he sucks, nobody questions it. if he lights it up in cleveland, people in indy get fired.

luck is a colt

Hayden Fox
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
People say they will take Luck because the Colts have said they will take Luck.

Tunaphish429
12-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Luck will be a colt. They can afford both. Can it hinder both manning and luck? Yes. But polian is not dumb only way he is not a colt if someone offers something they can't turn down. Its a possibility but very slim.

mrbunglez
12-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Only way Luck isn't a colt is if Indy wins out and st Louis loses out. But if the colts are smart they'd trade out of that top spot and pick up a boatload picks for all the other holes on that team. So tonight I'm rooting for the colts.

hooshoops
12-22-2011, 09:10 PM
evidently manning isn't gonna pass the end of year physical they have set up for him...which means he'll likely be going into the early offseason it seems as a medical unknown still

Hayden Fox
12-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Manning being available is plausible.

NorFlaFin
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Manning is due a $28 million bonus. Manning gets cut so the Colts can save the $$$

Clipse
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Because the Colts are a competent organization that understands the importance of the QB position. The opposite of us actually. The fans will care a lot less than you think they will when Luck is leading them to Superbowls. Ask Packers fan how upset they are for running Favre out of town. Peyton Manning will be 36 in a few months, and is dealing with a serious injury. The NFL is a business, and it's time for the Colts to move on. You don't sacrifice the future, to get a couple seasons out of Peyton that may or may not bring success. 15+ great seasons from Luck > Maybe 2 more seasons from Manning. Simple logic.

mrbunglez
12-22-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825507be/article/irsay-if-manning-makes-full-recovery-hell-be-back-with-colts

But you never know........

vagrantprodigy
12-22-2011, 09:47 PM
You think they tanked the season until they had pretty well locked up the first overall pick for no reason? They have to take Luck if they have the first overall pick, unless they get offered like 5 first round picks in exchange for him.

ChambersWI
12-22-2011, 11:50 PM
tell ya this if the UCONN connection continues the 4th quarter like this and win next week, they might not have the number 1 pick anymore

CalDolFan10x14
12-23-2011, 12:28 AM
I guess the Colts aren't too concerned about laying down for draft position.

datruth55
12-23-2011, 12:35 AM
I guess the Colts aren't too concerned about laying down for draft position.
I'll tell you what, if the Colts beat Jacksonville next week their not picking first.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 12:35 AM
who does st louis close with??? cause that sucker looks like its their pick right now

miami234ever
12-23-2011, 12:39 AM
I will be the biggest Colts fan next week. St. Louis closes out against Pitt & San Fran. Minny closes out against Washington and Chicago. This is going to be very interesting, although I would hope for St. Louis getting the pick rather than Minnesota. Either team would take gladly take a plethora of picks/players to build around their QB's.

CalDolFan10x14
12-23-2011, 12:39 AM
who does st louis close with??? cause that sucker looks like its their pick right now

@ Pittsburgh
VS San Fran

Minny still has the Redskins, and the Bears.
Indi plays against Jacksonville next weekend.

Looks like the Rams are getting that number 1 pick.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 12:41 AM
I will be the biggest Colts fan next week. St. Louis closes out against Pitt & San Fran. Minny closes out against Washington and Chicago. This is going to be very interesting, although I would hope for St. Louis getting the pick rather than Minnesota. Either team would take gladly take a plethora of picks/players to build around their QB's.

i'm not so sure minny wouldn't take luck...if they had the top pick...but st louis...that screams 2 more losses provided san fran has nothing to play for week 17

datruth55
12-23-2011, 12:41 AM

St. Louis won't win another game. They have Pitt and 49ers left.

Minnesota, however, will end up with the first pick if they lose out and the Colts win the last game. Vikings close with Washington and Chicago which are actually both winnable games for them since Chicago has no QB and no offense.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 12:44 AM
i wouldn't trust jax to beat anyone with blaine gabbert and the way the jags secondary at cb is ravaged by injury wayne and garcon could have a damn field day week 17...they just got to stop mjd

miami234ever
12-23-2011, 12:47 AM
St. Louis won't win another game. They have Pitt and 49ers left.

Minnesota, however, will end up with the first pick if they lose out and the Colts win the last game. Vikings close with Washington and Chicago which are actually both winnable games for them since Chicago has no QB and no offense.

I thought Minnesota had a higher SOS than St. Louis, no?

Hoops:

I would only hope Minnesota would stick with Ponder, but I also believe they have a higher chance of drafting Luck than St. Louis.

finsfanjay13
12-23-2011, 12:49 AM
To be very honest, if it came down to Luck going #1 no matter what, I'd rather it be St. Louis than Indy. Just the thought of the continuity Indy will have if they draft Luck would annoy me to no end. St. Louis has been crappy enough that it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

Ilovemyfins4eva
12-23-2011, 12:50 AM
this thread title is so true now, because the colts wont take luck, because they will not get the 1st overall pick now. boy am i happy. screw them, they dont deserve it.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
bottom line is if its st louis or minnesota we got a shot to trade up...if it was indy polian was gonna tell all of us to shove it and take luck...hell he may still try and trade up if possible...but we at least got a shot...my guess though given st louis has bradford on a $78 mil deal $50 mil guaranteed is they are much less likely to keep that pick than minnesota is...if minny gets it i wouldn't count my chickens that they would auto trade it...ponders been decent enough where i think you build around him but the cap isn't a problem given the new cba and they could decide given lucks stature he's too good to pass up...but we need to be in that damn trade discussions and we have the ammo to make it happen...we have young existing nfl talent they would covet...vontae is a young cb in the mold of the older veteran cb winfield thats on their roster right now and its a big need...hell maybe they take jake instead and fill the left tackle spot...him and 2 #1's...go for it!!!

datruth55
12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
I thought Minnesota had a higher SOS than St. Louis, no?

Hoops:

I would only hope Minnesota would stick with Ponder, but I also believe they have a higher chance of drafting Luck than St. Louis.

No St. Louis has had a brutal schedule. As of right now their SOS is .589, they had games against Green Bay, New Orleans, NFC East and AFC North (Ravens, Pitt, Cincy, Cleveland). Where Minnesota's SOS is .567 with games agianst Washington, Arizona, NFC South and AFC West. It's a difference of 5 wins...St. Louis opponent record is 132-92 while Minnesota is 127-97.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:00 AM
thinkin about it minnesota may be just what we need to make a trade...they need left tackle and cb help BAD...offer em jake and 2 1's and see if they'll take it...if not worse case freakin throw in vontae...

just go balls out miami!!! this fan base is tired of bull****

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:04 AM
we also have brandon marshall...a #1 wr minnesota needs...offer em jake this years #1 and next years #1 which i'm tellin ya will perk their ears and if thats no go vontae or marshall...i think miamis got what they're looking for

datruth55
12-23-2011, 01:05 AM
thinkin about it minnesota may be just what we need to make a trade...they need left tackle and cb help BAD...offer em jake and 2 1's and see if they'll take it...if not worse case freakin throw in vontae...

Wow, that's giving up a lot. If they wouldn't jump on Jake and 2 1's then they'd be crazy. Lets not forget we're dealing with Rick Spielman over there...we can probably offer them some 3rd string CB and a 1st rounder and make the trade.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Wow, that's giving up a lot. If they wouldn't jump on Jake and 2 1's then they'd be crazy. Lets not forget we're dealing with Rick Spielman over there...we can probably offer them some 3rd string CB and a 1st rounder and make the trade.

i know its a lot...but if that picks traded its gonna be for a ransom...and boy would they love to fill that left tackle spot with an all pro...we're gonna have to wow em i promise you that much...there will be plenty of offers coming in...so wow em

Kistner10
12-23-2011, 01:08 AM
I think Minnesota wouldt take Luck and try and trade Ponder. Ponder isn't that great of a QB prospect imo.

I think STL would trade the pick.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:11 AM
I think Minnesota wouldt take Luck and try and trade Ponder. Ponder isn't that great of a QB prospect imo.

I think STL would trade the pick.

that could be the case also...unless theres a massive offer...jake long yeah i think they're listening...if they did trade ponder i'd want to be on that also though...he's got some talents to work with

miami234ever
12-23-2011, 01:15 AM

Oh man hoops, that's insane! It's so hard to swallow trading developed players on this team...My thinking is that if St. Louis ends up with the pick, like we're both hoping, we know that they are on the hook with Bradford and thus Miami will have a little more leverage there. Remember what Eli Manning was traded for?

1st Overall (Manning) <-----> 4th Overall (Rivers), 2004 3rd, 2005 1st, and 2005 5th.

I'm not saying that Manning had the same hype or was as good of a prospect as Luck, but 4 1sts? That is definitely going to be negotiable and will be brought down once they realize NO team will trade 4 1sts or 3 1sts for anybody. Compare this offer to the Eli offer above:

1st Overall (Luck) <--------> 7th overall, 2012 3rd, 2012 5th, 2013 1st, 2013 3rd, 2013 5th, & Randy Starks.

I'm estimating 7th pick, and I'm using Randy Starks just as an example of a player. This drafts top 10 is stacked with players, so there will be no shortage of talent at 7 either. If St. Louis gets the pick, advantage = Miami. The worry is that it could turn into a bidding war, but let's remember, only a few teams ahead of us will want Luck also, so we have the luxury of having a higher pick than most teams entering the bidding war.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Oh man hoops, that's insane! It's so hard to swallow trading developed players on this team...My thinking is that if St. Louis ends up with the pick, like we're both hoping, we know that they are on the hook with Bradford and thus Miami will have a little more leverage there. Remember what Eli Manning was traded for?

1st Overall (Manning) <-----> 4th Overall (Rivers), 2004 3rd, 2005 1st, and 2005 5th.

I'm not saying that Manning had the same hype or was as good of a prospect as Luck, but 4 1sts? That is definitely going to be negotiable and will be brought down once they realize NO team will trade 4 1sts or 3 1sts for anybody. Compare this offer to the Eli offer above:

1st Overall (Luck) <--------> 7th overall, 2012 3rd, 2012 5th, 2013 1st, 2013 3rd, 2013 5th, & Randy Starks.

I'm estimating 7th pick, and I'm using Randy Starks just as an example of a player. This drafts top 10 is stacked with players, so there will be no shortage of talent at 7 either. If St. Louis gets the pick, advantage = Miami. The worry is that it could turn into a bidding war, but let's remember, only a few teams ahead of us will want Luck also, so we have the luxury of having a higher pick than most teams entering the bidding war.

brother every team in the league that doesn't have a franchise qb or doesn't believe the young guy they have in house right now is gonna be one is gonna want a piece of the luck sweepstakes...there will be varying differences of the amount of interest as in how far are they willing to go but everyone will at least test the waters...so you better go damn big or you go home...thats all i'm sayin to you...we have the ammo that a minnesota would want on our team that not many teams can match...you get stingy now you lose...i promise you

finomenal
12-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Absolutely! Getting the franchise QB is the #1 goal. Nothing else matters.

miami234ever
12-23-2011, 01:30 AM
brother every team in the league that doesn't have a franchise qb or doesn't believe the young guy they have in house right now is gonna be one is gonna want a piece of the luck sweepstakes...there will be varying differences of the amount of interest as in how far are they willing to go but everyone will at least test the waters...so you better go damn big or you go home...thats all i'm sayin to you...we have the ammo that a minnesota would want on our team that not many teams can match...you get stingy now you lose...i promise you

I totally agree, we cannot be stingy. However, I do not believe other teams will be adding in all-pro (Long), pro bowl (Marshall), or near pro bowl (Davis) talent to their package. I could see picks, but I disagree that we should part with established talent, and I believe most GM's will want to hang onto developed players as well. We can bump up 3rds to 2nds, but again, we know St. Louis is on the hook for Bradford and that there's no guarantee Minnesota would be able to find a trade partner for Ponder, even if they are willing to part with a top 12 pick so early in his career.

datruth55
12-23-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't even want to think about it because I don't want to be more disappointed than I already am. Watch Indy lay down against Jax to get that #1 overall pick.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:42 AM
I totally agree, we cannot be stingy. However, I do not believe other teams will be adding in all-pro (Long), pro bowl (Marshall), or near pro bowl (Davis) talent to their package. I could see picks, but I disagree that we should part with established talent, and I believe most GM's will want to hang onto developed players as well. We can bump up 3rds to 2nds, but again, we know St. Louis is on the hook for Bradford and that there's no guarantee Minnesota would be able to find a trade partner for Ponder, even if they are willing to part with a top 12 pick so early in his career.

when shefters talkin 4 1st rounders in trade he's not just pullin that out of his ***...i'd rather part with established talent now on the roster than mortgage my draft future...2 #1's i'm game and a player or two but 4 1's...your talkin your top pick through 2015...i'd rather go the existing player route

but you know what...if our front office did grow a pair and make something like this happen at least us as fans even if luck was to bust which i don't think there's a chance in hell of it happening but anyways could say we did everything we could to fix the position long term with the highest rated college qb prospect since elway...we finally grew a pair and went all out...i mean i'd be proud to be a dolphins fan just cause we went all in for once

and if we hit like i think andrew luck hits...we'd all forget we gave up jake or vontae or worst case both in no time...cause this kid would be winning us games and creating buzz and firing up the fan base and putting butts in the seats and putting the miami dolphins back on the freakin football map where we damn well belong...thats what i'm talkin about

Ilovemyfins4eva
12-23-2011, 01:44 AM
I don't even want to think about it because I don't want to be more disappointed than I already am. Watch Indy lay down against Jax to get that #1 overall pick.if indy tries to lay down, jax will still lose. jax is god awful. gabbet maybe worse than palko. thats how bad he is. ok maybe im pushing it, or maybe not.

Kistner10
12-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Hoops, I'm interested in what you would trade for Ponder? Do you think he's a big upgrade from Matt Moore? I wasn't too high on him last year and I was a bit surprised he went in the top half of the first round. I think he'll be solid, I just didn't think his ceiling was very high.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Hoops, I'm interested in what you would trade for Ponder? Do you think he's a big upgrade from Matt Moore? I wasn't too high on him last year and I was a bit surprised he went in the top half of the first round. I think he'll be solid, I just didn't think his ceiling was very high.

yes...i think ponders upside or ceiling is higher than moore...absolutely...kids a damn good move athlete...hmmm...would i part with pick #7 worst case for him given what i've seen...i don't know...i like the talent i've seen but is he a shoo in??? i can't go there

and this comes from a guy who was adamant i would not use a top half of round 1 pick on ponder...i had him as a late round 1 early round 2 guy...but if they do trade him they're gonna want something close to what they put into him...which for them was pick #12

i'd rather make them an offer they can't refuse for the top pick...

miami234ever
12-23-2011, 02:09 AM
I agree Schefter is likely hearing from sources that that would be the price to pay...however, that price came out when Indy was locked in for the #1 pick. The value completely changes if/when St. Louis/Minnesota holds the pick. Time will time, but brother I'm right with you and fully believe this kid has a nearly 0% bust potential and that we should make a move for him no matter who holds the top pick.

Kistner10
12-23-2011, 02:38 AM
yes...i think ponders upside or ceiling is higher than moore...absolutely...kids a damn good move athlete...hmmm...would i part with pick #7 worst case for him given what i've seen...i don't know...i like the talent i've seen but is he a shoo in??? i can't go there

and this comes from a guy who was adamant i would not use a top half of round 1 pick on ponder...i had him as a late round 1 early round 2 guy...but if they do trade him they're gonna want something close to what they put into him...which for them was pick #12

i'd rather make them an offer they can't refuse for the top pick...

I think if Minnesota traded Ponder than they'd get a 2nd or a future 1st. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to give a first for Ponder unless they're in the back end of the 1st. For a team like us, I think they'd either have to accept our 2012 2nd rounder or a 2013 first rounder. Minnesota wouldn't have leverage in the trade negoiations imo.

I would much rather trade for Luck than Ponder, but I think that would be totally dependent on Minnesota if they got into that position and if I were running their team I would take Luck and trade Ponder. I'm not a huge believer in Ponder myself. I think he can be a solid starter but I don't ever see him being elite.

ChrisHanson
12-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Why is everyone so convinced that the colts are gonna take Luck?

They have a legend in peyton manning who still has a solid 3 yrs left
Manning family has spoken. They wont be on the same team
If they were to trade they can fill a ton of holes And still get a qb later
They wont abandon manning...period. He is the face of their franchise
The fans would riot.

Draft day always surprises...i think the colts bite on the best trade offer.

Don't count me as everyone. Is it possible that the Colts pick Luck? Sure it is....but IMO it's not likely if...IF Manning is healthy. I've been saying this for months.

ChrisHanson
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
evidently manning isn't gonna pass the end of year physical they have set up for him...which means he'll likely be going into the early offseason it seems as a medical unknown still

Colts owner Jim Irsay said if Peyton Manning plays football next season, it will be in Indianapolis. Irsay was interviewed on NFL Network before last night’s kickoff between Houston and Indianapolis, a game that could be Manning’s last at Lucas Oil Stadium. Irsay said Manning is progressing from his neck injury, that his throwing arm is getting stronger...

If Manning is healthy I see Luck pulling an Eli/Elway if the Colts try to draft him. I doubt Luck wants to risk sitting for what could possibly be 3-4 years.

hooshoops
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I think if Minnesota traded Ponder than they'd get a 2nd or a future 1st. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to give a first for Ponder unless they're in the back end of the 1st. For a team like us, I think they'd either have to accept our 2012 2nd rounder or a 2013 first rounder. Minnesota wouldn't have leverage in the trade negoiations imo.

I would much rather trade for Luck than Ponder, but I think that would be totally dependent on Minnesota if they got into that position and if I were running their team I would take Luck and trade Ponder. I'm not a huge believer in Ponder myself. I think he can be a solid starter but I don't ever see him being elite.

that might be the case...i just don't think we'd be the only ones interested in acquiring ponder...if minnesota was going to draft luck though they'd probably take a 1st rounder in 2013 for ponder if someone was willing to offer it up...a future pick...i can see that

i don't think they'd take a 2nd rounder in 2012 though...with or without the leverage...i think they'd search for a team who was high on ponder (which we evidently were) and find someone willing to part with a future 1st or maybe a 1st round pick this year around the #20 mark

datruth55
12-23-2011, 02:45 PM
If Minnesota would trade Ponder because they intend to draft Luck then the value of Ponder goes down I would think. They would be stuck with two QBs they are paying first round money to, granted it's not what it used to be but it's still more than they'd like when they have so many holes to fill. Their entire defense outside of Jared Allen needs to be remade, the offensive line is in shambles, they have no #1 receiver, they have Adrian Peterson but really nothing behind him, depth is an issue. In other words their a long ways away from even competing in that division with an up-and-coming Detroit team, world champion Packers team and a Chicago team that was headed to the playoffs before they lost Forte and Cutler.

It would just make so much more sense for them to trade out for multiple picks...this is their chance for redemption after the Herschel Walker trade, lol. Ponder won't get them as many picks as the #1 overall pick would.

retarmyfinfan
12-23-2011, 10:46 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/12/colts-owner-jim-irsay-on-qb-peyton-mannings-future-i-see-him-coming-back-and-playing-here/1

If they have the opportunity I think they will take Luck. Why wouldn't they. Manning knows one day his career will end, so why would he be mad or upset that his team is setting themselves up for the future. Every smart team should do the same. Ask the Packers if they cared wether or not Favre was pissed when they picked Rodgers. Favre is going to the HOF just like Manning, but when his time was up the Packers said thanks for everything and have a good life. It can really be that simple.