PDA

View Full Version : Five People/Teams that are Helped by Barkley Staying

Hayden Fox
12-22-2011, 08:56 PM
1. RGIII- Without a doubt he will go 2nd in the draft to a team trading up a massive amount of picks...Cleveland, Washington or Miami will come a calling from him.

2. Landry Jones- It sounded like that because of his poor finish to the season he would return to Norman. However, why would he not come out? The need for qb's will no doubt elevate his stock.

3. Brandon Weeden- While Weeden's age is certainly an issue, the absence of Barkley from the draft makes Weeden more appealing to teams needing qb's.

4. Matt Moore and Colt McCoy- Moore has been solid at times this year, but many have assumed he is keeping the seat warm for another qb. The question is "who is that next qb"? If the Fins stay at their current pick, none of these qb's will be a productive in the short term as Moore. McCoy has regressed this year (though he thinks he is better off without Daboll). If there is no qb of value, the Browns may stick with him for another year.

5. Team with #2 pick of the draft- They will receive a boatload of picks with value for the team that wants RGIII.

Questions STILL to be answered:
* Can the Colts lose the 1st pick to the Vikes or Rams
* What do the Colts do with Manning if they do get the 1st pick?
* What does RGIII measure in at?
* Does Jones enter the draft?
* Do any other young qb enter the draft?
* What other qb gets a ton of hype and is elevated to the top of the draft when they probably should not be?

TedSlimmJr
12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Landry needs to come out. He's probably going to lose his job to Blake Bell next year anyway. They already take Landry out in the redzone to insert Bell.

Barkley staying in school helps Landry's stock by default.

He has the physical tools to warrant a late 1st round grade as it is, and it only takes one team to like you anyway.

Valandui
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
One team that is completely ****ed by Barkley's decision to stay: Miami Dolphins

Hayden Fox
12-23-2011, 08:34 AM
One team that is completely ****ed by Barkley's decision to stay: Miami Dolphins

And the Skins, Browns, Bills, Seahawks, Jags....

The Confessor
12-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Landry needs to come out. He's probably going to lose his job to Blake Bell next year anyway. They already take Landry out in the redzone to insert Bell.

WHAT ROFL???!?!?!?!?!

Blake Bell (Nicknamed Belldozer) is put in the red-zone for one purpose, and one purpose only. To run.

He is currently 1 of 4 for 4 yards, with 1 sack and 1 int. He has a passer rating of -8.2 :chuckle:

As under-whelming as Landry Jones has been, I think his job is PERFECTLY safe if he returns.. :up:

Blake Bells stats at OU as of today:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501882/blake-bell

TedSlimmJr
12-23-2011, 09:41 AM
WHAT ROFL???!?!?!?!?!

Blake Bell (Nicknamed Belldozer) is put in the red-zone for one purpose, and one purpose only. To run.

He is currently 1 of 4 for 4 yards, with 1 sack and 1 int. He has a passer rating of -8.2 :chuckle:

As under-whelming as Landry Jones has been, I think his job is PERFECTLY safe if he returns.. :up:

Blake Bells stats at OU as of today:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501882/blake-bell

Blake Bell's 4 passing attempts thusfar means nothing. He can throw the football.

He wasn't one of the top QB recruits in the country, having set several high school passing records in the state of Kansas because he can't throw the football.

5 of 9, 68 yards, 0 TD's. Have any idea who's passing stats those are when they took over the starting QB job midseason last year?

Those are Ryan Tannehill's career passing stats when he took over the starting job at aTm for Jerrod Johnson.

Stoops is going to want to move on from Landry Jones at some point next year and start building his offense around Bell.... who's going to be a Heisman Trophy candidate by the time he leaves Oklahoma. He's going to get Bell more and more involved in the offense, and start putting packages together specifically for Bell just like Urban Meyer did for Tebow when Chris Leak was the starter.

As the season wears on, Bell is going to phase out Landry Jones. I'll bet you anything you want that Blake Bell takes over the starting QB job from Landry Jones next year. Make it light on yourself.

The Confessor
12-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Blake Bell's 4 passing attempts thusfar means nothing. He can throw the football.

He wasn't one of the top QB recruits in the country, having set several high school passing records in the state of Kansas because he can't throw the football.

5 of 9, 68 yards, 0 TD's. Have any idea who's passing stats those are when they took over the starting QB job midseason last year?

Those are Ryan Tannehill's career passing stats when he took over the starting job at aTm for Jerrod Johnson.

Stoops is going to want to move on from Landry Jones at some point next year and start building his offense around Bell.... who's going to be a Heisman Trophy candidate by the time he leaves Oklahoma. He's going to get Bell more and more involved in the offense, and start putting packages together specifically for Bell just like Urban Meyer did for Tebow when Chris Leak was the starter.

As the season wears on, Bell is going to phase out Landry Jones. I'll bet you anything you want that Blake Bell takes over the starting QB job from Landry Jones next year. Make it light on yourself.

I'm personally not high on Landry Jones. I was going into the season, but after watching his futile passing each week, he has REALLY regressed.

That being said, if he returns, he will be the starting QB from day 1. Bell may or may not end up being a Bona Fide Heisman winner. His stock going into College plummeted dramatically. He was once a top 25 recruit, but fell to like 85 IIRC.
Until he actually throws some passes against teams, nobody has any idea how he will fair. He does have nice tangibles...but so do many in that same scenario.

Wouldnt surprise me to see Bell Red-shirt next year if Jones returns . :up:
If not, then logic obviously plays out that he will indeed find more playing time. To say he will surplant Jones at this point is without logic. I have zero idea what you are basing that on. The fact he threw a total of 4 passes this season, even with Jones stinking up the joint....repeatedly, tells me he's not going to be stepping into the starters role anytime real soon.

TedSlimmJr
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm personally not high on Landry Jones. I was going into the season, but after watching his futile passing each week, he has REALLY regressed.

That being said, if he returns, he will be the starting QB from day 1. Bell may or may not end up being a Bona Fide Heisman winner. His stock going into College plummeted dramatically. He was once a top 25 recruit, but fell to like 85 IIRC.
Until he actually throws some passes against teams, nobody has any idea how he will fair. He does have nice tangibles...but so do many in that same scenario.

Wouldnt surprise me to see Bell Red-shirt next year if Jones returns . :up:
If not, then logic obviously plays out that he will indeed find more playing time. To say he will surplant Jones at this point is without logic. I have zero idea what you are basing that on. The fact he threw a total of 4 passes this season, even with Jones stinking up the joint....repeatedly, tells me he's not going to be stepping into the starters role anytime real soon.

Bell's stock 'falling' as he was entering college means nothing either. It boils down to how many camps you attend. Attend more camps = keep more *'s.

Phillip Sims kept all his *'s, continued to be the top QB recruit and can't beat out A.J. McCarron.

Stoops won't redshirt Bell. He doesn't have another quarterback better than Bell. The dual threat capability of Bell along with his talent is too good and too intriguing. Stoops knows he can do major damage against those Big-12 defenses with a 6'6", 250 pound quarterback who can run the inverted veer along with the passing threat.

The Big-12 will have another Vince Young, except this time Stoops will have him instead of the rival Longhorns.

The Confessor
12-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Bell's stock 'falling' as he was entering college means nothing either. It boils down to how many camps you attend. Attend more camps = keep more *'s.

Phillip Sims kept all his *'s, continued to be the top QB recruit and can't beat out A.J. McCarron.

Stoops won't redshirt Bell. He doesn't have another quarterback better than Bell. The dual threat capability of Bell along with his talent is too good and too intriguing. Stoops knows he can do major damage against those Big-12 defenses with a 6'6", 250 pound quarterback who can run the inverted veer along with the passing threat.

The Big-12 will have another Vince Young, except this time Stoops will have him instead of the rival Longhorns.

Bell is NOTHING like Vince Young.

Tebow with a much better arm? Perhaps.

We will see what happens. That's why they play the games.

SMadison29
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Drew Allen is their back-up QB. Bell is the redzone flavor of the week.

SMadison29
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
1. RGIII- Without a doubt he will go 2nd in the draft to a team trading up a massive amount of picks...Cleveland, Washington or Miami will come a calling from him.

2. Landry Jones- It sounded like that because of his poor finish to the season he would return to Norman. However, why would he not come out? The need for qb's will no doubt elevate his stock.

3. Brandon Weeden- While Weeden's age is certainly an issue, the absence of Barkley from the draft makes Weeden more appealing to teams needing qb's.

4. Matt Moore and Colt McCoy- Moore has been solid at times this year, but many have assumed he is keeping the seat warm for another qb. The question is "who is that next qb"? If the Fins stay at their current pick, none of these qb's will be a productive in the short term as Moore. McCoy has regressed this year (though he thinks he is better off without Daboll). If there is no qb of value, the Browns may stick with him for another year.

5. Team with #2 pick of the draft- They will receive a boatload of picks with value for the team that wants RGIII.

* What other qb gets a ton of hype and is elevated to the top of the draft when they probably should not be?

You need to replace Weeden with Tannehill. Weeden is already down the list as a 3rd - 4th rounder. Tannehill is probably going to be the real winner. With speculation before Barkley staying in school about Tannehill being in the first round those odds have greatly increased while Weeden's draft prospects remain the same.

Phinatic8u
12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I honestly want Tannehill.

His potential is through the roof.

Roman529
12-23-2011, 04:36 PM
SEE BELOW

YES.....there is a good possibility that the Colts just blew their chance at Luck by winning last night.

Irsay said if P. Manning can play next year, he will be playing for the Colts. I am sure they would still take Luck and groom him to replace Manning down the road.

6'2" 205 pounds, from what I have heard.

Landry Jones? I don't see why not?

You mean eligible underclassmen? Maybe, but most underclassmen QB's that are any good have made their decision, with the exception of RG3.

In order to win in the NFL you have to have a franchise QB. No other position comes close in importance...usually there is a QB that breaks out at the combines that people fall in love with...like Yates last year, the current Texan's starting QB.

Valandui
12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I honestly want Tannehill.

His potential is through the roof.
Exactly. If we really want to see what Moore can do as a starter, Tannehill is the smartest option since he may take a year or two to develop.

Kistner10
12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I think Tannehill, Cousins, and Foles are all helped out a great deal by Barkley staying.

SF Dolphin Fan
12-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I think it also moves Ryan Tannehill way up. Maybe someone pulls the trigger in the top 10 for this guy.

The Confessor
12-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I think it also moves Ryan Tannehill way up. Maybe someone pulls the trigger in the top 10 for this guy.

Could be.

Going into last year's draft, no way, no how would I predict Christian Ponder going in the top 12.....yet.....

J. David Wannyheimer
12-24-2011, 02:02 PM
PFT, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but:
As Adam Schefter of ESPN reported during a Saturday version of Sunday NFL Countdown, a team that expects to pick between No. 4 and No. 10 is disappointed by Barkley’s absence from the draft pool, because that team had hoped to pull off a Julio Jones-style trade down in exchange for giving up the ability to pick Barkley. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/24/barkleys-absence-shakes-up-top-of-draft/ Interesting. It's certainly going to be a scramble for those top two QBs now.

Kistner10
12-24-2011, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't be totally shocked especially if Jones goes back to school. Scouts Inc. already has Tannehill ranked 27th on their big board and if Jones goes back to school he would assume the number 3 QB ranking. I think it's really going to come down to his combine effort and how well he does in interviews. He doesn't have as much game tape on him as some other guys so a good showing in these settings could really help him out.

houtz
12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
PFT, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/24/barkleys-absence-shakes-up-top-of-draft/ Interesting. It's certainly going to be a scramble for those top two QBs now.

What is interesting is that's where we are expected to pick. Ireland and Ross might be all in on a QB. If Luck becomes available you make that trade.

tay0365
12-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I think Miami will still try to get Luck, especially if the Colts are no long in charge of that pick. We will see, it would be amazing if after all this, Miami is still able to get Luck.

J. David Wannyheimer
12-27-2011, 12:42 AM
What is interesting is that's where we are expected to pick. Ireland and Ross might be all in on a QB. If Luck becomes available you make that trade. No question we need to offer the farm for the #1 pick.

Hayden Fox
12-27-2011, 08:59 AM
No question we need to offer the farm for the #1 pick.

I agreed a bit ago. Now I am wavering.