PDA

View Full Version : Possible 2013 Draft Class

Hayden Fox
12-23-2011, 01:25 PM
I love Andrew Luck like everyone else...I would sent a boatload of picks to get him. I have been on the RGIII bandwagon since mid-fall. I think he is a special guy. However, I do not want to mortgage the future for him meaning 2013 value picks for him. Nor, do I want take Tannehill at the 7 to 10 range...middle of the 1st round is fine, but not top 10. The Peyton Manning situation still needs to be watched as well.

However, I am going to advocate an approach of patience when it comes to the QB position. While not popular, the possible list of QB's in 2013 is impressive at this point. In the 2012 draft, build in positions of need. Positions such as RT, WR, OLB, CB and S are all needs. Look to fill those and assess the QB next year.

2013 Potential QB's
Matt Barkley
Landry Jones
E.J. Manuel
Tyler Wilson
Brock Osweiler
Geno Smith
Aaron Murray
Logan Thomas-(Love this kid)
Tyler Bray

Locke
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
To hell with that. Guaranteed 3-4 of those guys don't come out, making the 2014 draft the one to wait for. We can't keep being patient and waiting for the next year's QB class. It'll be a never-ending circle...

ckparrothead
12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
To hell with that. Guaranteed 3-4 of those guys don't come out, making the 2014 draft the one to wait for. We can't keep being patient and waiting for the next year's QB class. It'll be a never-ending circle...

Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, E.J. Manuel, Brock Osweiler and Geno Smith wouldn't have a choice. They'd be seniors. That's probably about as talented a senior class as I've seen in a while. Usually the QB class for a draft is boosted by juniors.

In this case Aaron Murray would probably come out, as he already was eligible this year but has decided to stay at Georgia another year. Next year he'll be a redshirt junior with a degree in his hand. If he has a good year he'll probably come out because he'll have three full years of starting under his belt.

I don't know about Logan Thomas or Tyler Bray though. Bray will be a true junior, three years out of high school. That's not usually a good bet to see coming out (see: Barkley, Matt). Logan Thomas would be a redshirt junior, with a good year he could come out.

The unaccounted for wildcard in all this though is Tajh Boyd. He's been sensational. He'll be a redshirt junior next year. Technically he could come out this year as a redshirt sophomore. He won't, because he's only got one year starting...but I imagine he could come out in 2013 with his second year of starting under his belt.

Locke
12-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, E.J. Manuel, Brock Osweiler and Geno Smith wouldn't have a choice. They'd be seniors. That's probably about as talented a senior class as I've seen in a while. Usually the QB class for a draft is boosted by juniors.

In this case Aaron Murray would probably come out, as he already was eligible this year but has decided to stay at Georgia another year. Next year he'll be a redshirt junior with a degree in his hand. If he has a good year he'll probably come out because he'll have three full years of starting under his belt.

I don't know about Logan Thomas or Tyler Bray though. Bray will be a true junior, three years out of high school. That's not usually a good bet to see coming out (see: Barkley, Matt). Logan Thomas would be a redshirt junior, with a good year he could come out.

The unaccounted for wildcard in all this though is Tajh Boyd. He's been sensational. He'll be a redshirt junior next year. Technically he could come out this year as a redshirt sophomore.

That's encouraging, in the event we aren't in position to grab someone. However, I'm pretty staunchly against purposely ignoring the position this year in hopes of getting one of those guys next year. We did that last draft, and what was initially looking like a strong QB draft has dwindled down to Luck and Weeden. That probably won't happen next off season, but why risk it? Don't want to be in a position where we have to say, well the 2014 class looks like it's going to be strong, we'll be better off waiting and grabbing one of those guys...

ckparrothead
12-23-2011, 03:02 PM
That's encouraging, in the event we aren't in position to grab someone. However, I'm pretty staunchly against purposely ignoring the position this year in hopes of getting one of those guys next year. We did that last draft, and what was initially looking like a strong QB draft has dwindled down to Luck and Weeden. That probably won't happen next off season, but why risk it? Don't want to be in a position where we have to say, well the 2014 class looks like it's going to be strong, we'll be better off waiting and grabbing one of those guys...

I couldn't agree more. I kept trying to tell people that last year. Last year was, in my opinion, a banner draft for the QB position. We've already seen 5 rookies from that Draft get significant playing time as starters (Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Yates), and before the year is over we could see 2 more rookies get starts (Locker, Enderle). Jake Locker took most of the snaps from the New Orleans game but technically it wasn't a "start".

That's got to be some kind of record.

But no, no, no. The 2011 QB class was supposedly a "crappy" class of QBs and we should stay away from it because the 2012 QB class is going to be "way better". Yeah. Right.

ChambersWI
12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. I kept trying to tell people that last year. Last year was, in my opinion, a banner draft for the QB position. We've already seen 5 rookies from that Draft get significant playing time as starters (Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Yates), and before the year is over we could see 2 more rookies get starts (Locker, Enderle). Jake Locker took most of the snaps from the New Orleans game but technically it wasn't a "start".

That's got to be some kind of record.

But no, no, no. The 2011 QB class was supposedly a "crappy" class of QBs and we should stay away from it because the 2012 QB class is going to be "way better". Yeah. Right.

to be fair, I never said don't take a QB. I was always saying if Ireland and Sparano had a QB they loved, whether it was Locker, Ponder, Kaepernick, Mallett, whoever, they should draft him no matter the value. But I also said don't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB.

MiamiDolfan85
12-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Tyler Bray is the QB I want more than anyone on that list outside of Barkley.....although I hope he's thickens up a bit, that frame will ungodly let him down.

Osweiler has some talent, and I loved him shoving the punt team off the field. However, he seems headstrong. I don't mind if your gonna go for it, just make sure that your line is together and your WR's are on point. If he would've came out this season, he is definitely someone who could pull a 3rd round grade(ala Matt Shaub).

Tyler Wilson reminds me of Matthew Stafford. Gunslinger.

Logan Thomas has Cam Newton potential...he's gotta has a sensational year to even come to talks with a top end 1st round pick.

Don't even think about Aaron Murray....dude's a watered down Mark Sanchez. Ugh, ho thanks.

no way would I give up a 2013 pick to move up in 2012......this drafts gonna be waaaay better than this years.

Hayden Fox
12-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Good. Force the issue of a quarterback even though you drafting the guy in a spot that is way over valued.

ckparrothead
12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Brock Osweiler needs seasoning from a maturity standpoint. He also needs to throw about 10,000 more footballs.

He was letting his emotions get the better of him all night. Noel Mazzone is leaving for UCLA next year and Osweiler is pretty broken up about it. I think he was crying and showing emotion after the game, saying that Mazzone made him the quarterback he is today. He's not kidding, Osweiler had to be made from the ground up because he was basically a basketball player playing football. He's a guy I'd probably draft as a senior, maybe even high, but even after he's had that extra senior year to marinate his arm and throwing motion, I still might sit him for a year in the NFL.

But MAN does he have potential, and not just because of his physical abilities.

Locke
12-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Good. Force the issue of a quarterback even though you drafting the guy in a spot that is way over valued.

Or we can go your way and ignore the position entirely and pray that next year's QB class doesn't disappear into thin air like this one's did. See? I can over-exaggerate your position too...

Roman529
12-23-2011, 04:14 PM
2013 Potential QB's
Matt Barkley
Landry Jones
E.J. Manuel
Tyler Wilson
Brock Osweiler
Geno Smith
Aaron Murray
Logan Thomas-(Love this kid)
Tyler Bray

This ASU alum will take Osweiler. 6'8", 240 pounds, good mobility.

ticophin
12-23-2011, 05:13 PM
if we go best pass rushing DE, RT, and DB available, (throw in a TE in there too) next year probably will be a more exciting year to pick our QB...maybe even trade down to the mid 10s, pick up an extra 2nd and 4th. Matt Moore may not be ARodgers right now, but threads like this one, and the indsight provided by you guys who have the chance too see these kids, leads some of us to believe that if we play our cards right, there is hope beyond Andrew Luck!

Valandui
12-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Tyler Bray is the QB I want more than anyone on that list outside of Barkley.....although I hope he's thickens up a bit, that frame will ungodly let him down.

Osweiler has some talent, and I loved him shoving the punt team off the field. However, he seems headstrong. I don't mind if your gonna go for it, just make sure that your line is together and your WR's are on point. If he would've came out this season, he is definitely someone who could pull a 3rd round grade(ala Matt Shaub).

Tyler Wilson reminds me of Matthew Stafford. Gunslinger.

Logan Thomas has Cam Newton potential...he's gotta has a sensational year to even come to talks with a top end 1st round pick.

Don't even think about Aaron Murray....dude's a watered down Mark Sanchez. Ugh, ho thanks.

no way would I give up a 2013 pick to move up in 2012......this drafts gonna be waaaay better than this years.
Seriously? I may be biased being a Georgia fan, but I would say that the dude compares closer to Brees than Dirty. Not saying that he is Brees, but that it's a closer comparison.

Hayden Fox
12-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Or we can go your way and ignore the position entirely and pray that next year's QB class doesn't disappear into thin air like this one's did. See? I can over-exaggerate your position too...

I did not think I was over-exaggerating your position. I think it was straight forward. If it wasn't you should be clearer in your posts.

MiamiDolfan85
12-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Seriously? I may be biased being a Georgia fan, but I would say that the dude compares closer to Brees than Dirty. Not saying that he is Brees, but that it's a closer comparison.can you honestly tell me with a straight face this guy is better than Matt Moore?

or better yet, will be better than Moore?

Locke
12-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I did not think I was over-exaggerating your position. I think it was straight forward. If it wasn't you should be clearer in your posts.

My post was pretty clear. You may need to brush up on your reading comprehension...

Hayden Fox
12-26-2011, 03:03 PM
My post was pretty clear. You may need to brush up on your reading comprehension...

I will see if I can get some help after vacation at the local elementary school because it is vital that I understand your insightful posts going forward. Thanks for the heads up.

Valandui
12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
can you honestly tell me with a straight face this guy is better than Matt Moore?

or better yet, will be better than Moore?
Yes.

Roman529
12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Brock Osweiler, ASU's QB, is going to be great in the pro's. He hasn't played much football yet, as he was a 6'8" basketball player....but he has great mobility and a nice throwing motion. He has only started one year at QB for ASU but he has a lot of upside. You gotta love his size.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/12/1440mz8-1.jpg