PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Ryan Lindley

zodiak
12-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Was curious what are the thoughts on SDSU's Ryan Lindley?

DKphin
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
He has too improve his ball placement and pre-snap and post-snap reads. But physically he has every you look for in a QB.

Roman529
12-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I'd pass on Lindley. I saw him beat up Air Force earlier this year and he had a pretty good game, but he had a season completion percentage of 53%. He has good mobility but his throws are too erratic.

Austin Tatious
12-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I see him as an NFL backup or low end starter. Not a huge fan.

sinPHIN
12-27-2011, 12:08 AM
he is a back up at best. he has all the measurables but no accuarcy. pass

damian
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I'd pass on Lindley. I saw him beat up Air Force earlier this year and he had a pretty good game, but he had a season completion percentage of 53%. He has good mobility but his throws are too erratic.

How many drops did his receivers have in that game? Lindley's completion percentage has suffered because of his receivers this year.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Lindley's inconsistency comes from unpolished footwork. When his footwork is efficient, he's as accurate as any quarterback in college. His completion percentage is one of the most misleading statistics in college football.

He operates a pure pro-style offense structured around taking snaps from under center, dropping back, and play action fakes to Ronnie Hillman. He's not throwing a series of bubble and smoke screens that inflate his completion percentage like most of the rest of these quarterbacks. He doesn't have that option. If defenses have loaded the box to stop Hillman, Lindley is required to make throws down field, as opposed to having the luxury of checking to the smoke/bubble screen to complete the easy pass and get the easy yards.

Lindley has the biggest arm in this draft, and is the most physically gifted pure thrower of the football. Not to mention he's throwing to absolutely nothing at the receiver positions.

He's the most underrated quarterback in the entire class right now. He's legitimate 1st round physical talent that you can probably get in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

I'll gladly take this kid and let everybody talk about how 'inaccurate' of a QB I just drafted. Let him sit for a little while behind Matt Moore until I can address his footwork, and hit the ground running with him when I'm ready for him to take over the starting job from Moore.

ChambersWI
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm on the fence, with Lindley. Going into the year, I thought he had a chance to be a first rounder. He struggled at times this year, but people have to remember not only did he lose 2 WRs to the NFL in Vincent Brown and DeMarco Sampson, but he also lost OC Al Borges as he left for Michigan. Andy Ludwick is a nice OC in his own right, but that's a bit to lose.

I wouldn't be against taking a flyer on him. I mean, looking at the film (and he's been in a pro offense the last couple of years), he's mobile and he does make A LOT of good NFL throws.

TedSlimmJr
12-29-2011, 01:21 AM
If Lindley played in the Big-12 where defense is an afterthought, and throws routinely go uncontested.... with receivers the caliber of a Justin Blackmon, Ryan Broyles, Kenny Stills, Jeff Fuller, Ryan Swope, etc... in a spread system playing from the Gun, throwing bubble screen after bubble screen and smoke screen after smoke screen... he'd have an inflated completion percentage also, up around 65-68%.

Completing 65-70% of your passes in these type offenses doesn't translate to the NFL. It's not what defines accuracy. Accuracy is determined by actually watching all these QB's and evaluating their throws on a throw-by-throw basis. Ask Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Chase Daniel, Pat White, etc. if their 65-70% completion percentage translates to the NFL....

The elite QB's in the NFL typically only complete 60-65% of their passes... because throws are actually contested in the NFL. You can't bubble screen and smoke screen your way down the field against NFL defenses.... padding your completion % along the way.

Lindley's offense doesn't have screens and stick routes built in to help pad his stats.... they're running outs, shallows, mesh, smash, and 3-vertical concepts. Borges runs a West-Coast offense, and it's what Lindley continues to run after Borges left for Michigan. It's a lot more difficult when you have to turn your back to the defense while executing play action, as opposed to taking every snap from the shotgun where your reads are already built in. Lindley is responsible for sacks in his offense, whereas spread QB's only need to get the ball out.... somebody is automatically open.... and it's the bubble/smoke/tunnel screen.

You have to be able to throw with anticipation and timing down the field, and make stick throws into tight coverage in the NFL.

Most draftniks don't even watch college football, they're NFL fans. They mostly only look at stats and that's it. They don't understand the causation behind the statistics... they just automatically assume that the QB who's completing 70% of his passes is more 'accurate' than the QB who's completing 59% of his.... but that's not how it works.

Jake Locker was bashed for his perceived lack of accuracy by everybody here last year. Only myself and KDawg were the only two that didn't subscribe the myth of Locker's perceived lack of accuracy. People only looked at his completion percentage, but didn't actually watch him play.... or if they did, they didn't understand what they were looking at.

Locker's receivers dropped over 40+ passes last year, compared to somebody like Andrew Luck, who's receivers only dropped 17. Furthermore, Locker didn't have a checkdown option.... his back was required to stay in and block because of the porous offensive line that had used 9 different combinations trying to find a unit good enough to put on the field.

Locker has looked terrific when his number has been called as a rookie... making big throws downfield into tight coverage. He's thrown 4 TD's and 0 INT's, while adding another rushing TD on the ground. His 99.4 QB rating is tops for all rookie quarterbacks.

Point being, Jake Locker did not in fact, "suck", nor was he "garbage".

ChambersWI
12-29-2011, 01:26 AM
Hey... I Liked Locker too:boohoo:

Lindley is a guy who could see his stock soar if none of the underclassmen QBs don't enter.

TedSlimmJr
12-29-2011, 01:53 AM
I don't like it when quarterback's "stock" is automatically increased because of other underclassman QB's staying in school.... that's how you end up with Blaine Gabbert.

Gabbert's stock somehow experienced a meteoric rise due to Andrew Luck going back to Stanford. The guy wasn't a 1st round quarterback, and Andrew Luck going back to school shouldn't have made him one. The problem was Gabbert didn't have the extra game film for the talking heads to pick apart the way they did Jake Locker.. and Locker still went in the top 10. I don't think Gabbert would've been picked in the 1st round had he come back for another year and put out more game film similar to what he already had.

Gabbert was essentially nothing more than an excellent Tom Condon hype job.

Lindley's stock is what it is, or at least it should be in my opinion. Along with every other quarterback in this draft. These QB's shouldn't be pushed up the draft board higher than their play on the field warrants.

Lindley is a 4 year starter in a pro-style offense... his 4 years worth of game film is worth a pick somewhere in the 3rd round, but his physical tools, prototype size, and that rocket attached to his shoulder is 1st round talent. He has one of the main things that you look for that aren't coachable.... pocket presence. You can work with a kid like that.

I don't think his stock is going to "rise", I think NFL people already know what Lindley brings as a package. He's not going to get picked higher than his body of work warrants, instead, he's going to get picked about where he should have all along.

It's the other hype jobs by the talking heads that they're trying to get pushed up into the top 10-15 picks, and have no business being there that I'm worried about.

Once the 5-7 elite, blue chip caliber prospects that are in this draft come off the board, teams are subject to start reaching for quarterbacks.

hooshoops
01-01-2012, 11:38 AM
if i could get lindley at the top of the 3rd i think that would be a great value pick...i'm with slimm he's got the biggest arm in the draft... as for locker i did watch him plenty...never even looked at stats...and his accuracy was scattershot and that was the case even the senior bowl week...and hell in the washington bowl game i think it was he went a half without ever completing a damn pass...

it looks to me that lockers gonna get the full time gig next year so i'll be interested to see how he fares