PDA

View Full Version : Going All In

Keeno1
12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Assuming Indy loses the #1 pick to the Rams, I have a couple of questions:

Do you think St. Louis will draft Luck?
Would trading 4 1st-round picks (or whatever it will take) be worth it to get Luck?
If answers to above are yes, how will talent be replaced? Free agency is expensive.
Before trading the farm to get Luck, how much would it cost to trade for someone like Phillip Rivers? Would it even cost as much as it would to get Luck? Assuming a team will part with their signal-caller, wouldn't it make sense to explore this option before trying to draft Luck?

Just some thoughts. Curious to see responses.

datruth55
12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think St. Louis would draft Luck but it would depend on who they hire as the new coach. Rumors are Gruden may be in play for them and if that's the case then they might take Luck, if Gruden heads to San Diego then I don't think St. Louis takes Luck.

As far as free agency being expensive it doesn't really matter. All teams have to spend 98% of their cap or something like that. There is a 1 or 2 year delay on that but eventually we'll have to spend the money regardless. I just hope we spend it wisely. Given the fact that we have no coach, our GM has a bad reputation and our owners reputation is still iffy at best I'm not sure what free agents would want to come here...and if they do we may be forced to overpay them anyway just to get them in the door.

Whether we trade up for Luck or trade for someone like Phillip Rivers (who I don't want) I think the cost would be the same. A pro bowl, established, proven QB won't come cheaper than a QB with a great deal of potential. Especially from a team that was looking for two 1st round picks for Vincent Jackson. Any team willing to part ways with their QB probably means that the QB isn't the answer for their organization...which should make us wonder why he would be the answer here. A.J Smith, the GM of the Chargers, is the only idiot to let a potential hall-of-fame QB (Drew Brees) walk for nothing but Brees had also suffered a significant shoulder injury and he had Rivers sitting on the bench waiting to take over....still a stupid move IMO.

I don't see any possible trades with good-to-great QBs from other teams. It's so difficult to get a good-to-great QB in this league it would just be asinine to trade one away especially in this draft where you have Luck and a bunch of QBs behind him with significant flaws in need of serious grooming and coaching. There are a few QBs with potential but no one outside of Luck that really makes you think they're can't miss prospects.

IMO if you're going to trade away draft picks you do it for Andrew Luck, otherwise just take BPA regardless of position. That's how successful teams draft. Fill needs later in the draft take BPA in the first and second round. When the Packers took Jordy Nelson in the 2nd round they already had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and James Jones on the roster they didn't need Nelson but he was BPA on their board and they took him...now look at them...best receiving corp in the league. They had Brett Favre, they took Aaron Rodgers when he fell to them.

If no Luck then BPA all the way.

Keeno1
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks. As a FYI, I just used Rivers as an example. Just wondering what the market was for someone like him.

datruth55
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks. As a FYI, I just used Rivers as an example. Just wondering what the market was for someone like him.

The market would be the same or more as trading up for Luck.

If we were to hire Philbin from Green Bay as our next coach we could get Matt Flynn for basically nothing since he's a free agent. We'd be making the move to the WCO which I would love but who knows. Flynn could elect to take backup money and stay in Green Bay too.

ChrisHanson
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM

No

Would trading 4 1st-round picks (or whatever it will take) be worth it to get Luck?

Hell no

Locke
12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Assuming Indy loses the #1 pick to the Rams, I have a couple of questions:

If answers to above are yes, how will talent be replaced? Free agency is expensive.
Before trading the farm to get Luck, how much would it cost to trade for someone like Phillip Rivers? Would it even cost as much as it would to get Luck? Assuming a team will part with their signal-caller, wouldn't it make sense to explore this option before trying to draft Luck?

Just some thoughts. Curious to see responses.

If 4 first rounders gets us our version of Peyton Manning, it's worth every single pick. You have to have some cajones of steel to do it though. If he doesn't pan out, or gets injured early on, the fans will turn on the team faster than a fat kid devours a cupcake...

OnslaughtXX6
12-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't want to be that guy but.... Why is everyone so interested in Matt Flynn?

datruth55
12-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't want to be that guy but.... Why is everyone so interested in Matt Flynn?
I'm not interested in Matt Flynn. He's intriguing but unproven IMO, he plays in a good offense for him which he's been learning for 3 years now and he has the best receiving corp, at worst top two, in football that makes him look better than he probably is. The bonus is that he won't cost draft picks so that might be low risk (outside of financially) and high reward as far as bringing him here. Still I think with Flynn it would be beneficial to run the WCO and make his transition to starter an easier one.

I only view Flynn as an option should we decide not to draft a QB...as far as we know Flynn may not even be an upgrade over Matt Moore, there just isn't enough game tape to make a fair evaluation on Flynn vs. Moore. The fact that Green Bay didn't trade him last year and might let him walk for nothing is curious to me. For an organization that has made a living on training up backup QBs and trading them for draft picks, lots of draft pick, is peculiar to say the least. Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell...all QBs that were backups in Green Bay that became starters somewhere else and I think all but Brunell were traded. I think Brunell was picked up by the Jaguars in the expansion draft.

hooshoops
12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
the problem with flynn would be the price tag...if you have to give him kevin kolb money thats a big hells no...i think flynns got talent personally i like what i see from him but i'm not investing that kind of money and cap space in him...thats for sure

if you got him and gave yourself a one year out in the contract somehow it makes much more sense but then again doubtful he signs any contract with you under such stipulations...

Thumper1016
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I love my cup cakes. :chuckle:

If 4 first rounders gets us our version of Peyton Manning, it's worth every single pick. You have to have some cajones of steel to do it though. If he doesn't pan out, or gets injured early on, the fans will turn on the team faster than a fat kid devours a cupcake...

state06
12-29-2011, 12:21 AM
if we cant get luck, IMO the next option of going all in would be to trade up a few spots for RGIII and bringing in Chud to develop him.