PDA

View Full Version : I'd Rather Take Landry Jones than an OL in first round

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 02:08 PM
See anything special about Riley Rieff last night? I saw him get run over for a sack.

Still think David DeCastro can take us to the playoffs? I don't.

It's time for you RG/RT lovers to come off of your fake argument "we should take the best player available regardless of what position they play"
Bullcrap. Not at #8 and not when you have already invested a ton on the OL. "It all starts up front" is so 2003 it's not even relevant anymore

Miami should bypass any more OL in first three round because we have enough talent there and can get a RT ANYWHERE and don't need to WASTE a high pick (1-3 rounders) on another guy who doesn't get sacks, TD passes.

I'm begging you draft lovers to get out of your 1990's thinking this year. The evidence of the importance of the TE position has never been more clear. there's a great post about it in the dolphins forum which clearly shows that Miami doesn't have enough on roster with Clay and Fasano to compete with elite teams. You aren't going to get the elite TE you want in free agency or if you waste a 2nd or 3rd on another lineman.

as for Jones, I've seen enough of him to realize I'd rather have him learning behind Moore for a year or two and have that QB of the future than spend that high first on a plug in tackle who can play right away but won't mean a hill of beans in terms of the team's long term potential.

Happy New Year and suckers keep drafting OL in the first round. It simply doesn't work.

Hayden Fox
12-31-2011, 02:28 PM
See anything special about Riley Rieff last night? I saw him get run over for a sack.

Still think David DeCastro can take us to the playoffs? I don't.

It's time for you RG/RT lovers to come off of your fake argument "we should take the best player available regardless of what position they play"
Bullcrap. Not at #8 and not when you have already invested a ton on the OL. "It all starts up front" is so 2003 it's not even relevant anymore

Miami should bypass any more OL in first three round because we have enough talent there and can get a RT ANYWHERE and don't need to WASTE a high pick (1-3 rounders) on another guy who doesn't get sacks, TD passes.

I'm begging you draft lovers to get out of your 1990's thinking this year. The evidence of the importance of the TE position has never been more clear. there's a great post about it in the dolphins forum which clearly shows that Miami doesn't have enough on roster with Clay and Fasano to compete with elite teams. You aren't going to get the elite TE you want in free agency or if you waste a 2nd or 3rd on another lineman.

as for Jones, I've seen enough of him to realize I'd rather have him learning behind Moore for a year or two and have that QB of the future than spend that high first on a plug in tackle who can play right away but won't mean a hill of beans in terms of the team's long term potential.

Happy New Year and suckers keep drafting OL in the first round. It simply doesn't work.

They will not take a right tackle...however, do not tell me this not one the biggest needs the team has. Columbo has been the cause of too many turnovers. If you do not want a RT in round one...fine. However, come up with a plan for me to solve the issue. Weak FA crop at the position and tackle draft class is very top heavy. You going to put John Jerry out there? What you got?

SF Dolphin Fan
12-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm actually one of the people out there who still like Landry Jones. That said, I think he's worked his way down the draft board a bit. If the Dolphins don't like what's there at #8, then they could trade down and pick up either Ryan Tannehill (I like him better than Jones), Brandon Weeden, or Jones. A player I would keep an eye on for Miami is Courtney Upshaw. I think he would be a perfect fit opposite Cam Wake and add a real physical presence to a defense that's pretty good, but not complete yet.

Hayden Fox
12-31-2011, 02:47 PM
IF we have a young QB at some point next year, you BETTER protect him. Going cheap up front is a one-way ticket to disaster.

sinPHIN
12-31-2011, 03:52 PM
if we take jones in the first we have a problem. pick up a wr. trade down something. jones isnt not a pro ready qb

utahphinsfan
12-31-2011, 04:00 PM
When, other than Bradford (& the jury is still out), has an OU QB panned out in the NFL?

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 04:22 PM
They will not take a right tackle...however, do not tell me this not one the biggest needs the team has. Columbo has been the cause of too many turnovers. If you do not want a RT in round one...fine. However, come up with a plan for me to solve the issue. Weak FA crop at the position and tackle draft class is very top heavy. You going to put John Jerry out there? What you got?

Max Starks. Maybe Jerry is ready to play RT, don't know but wasting a high draft pick on the right side would be monumentally stupid this year.

if the draft class is strong at tackle get one in 5th or 6th round.

Hayden Fox
12-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Your alternatives will get a young QB killed. The tackle draft class is NOT strong with the exception of the top. You are not getting a starter in the 5th or 6th round. It is roster negligence for you to think you are going to plug in starter from that round.

You are going to take a young qb and protect him with John Jerry at RT? I do not mind putting Jerry at RG, but your young investment NEEDS to be protected.

Guy Whimper, Kareem McKenzie and Demetrius Bell are FA's if you want that route.

Max Starks sucks btw.

Don't hate drafting O-Line because you are bored with the picks from the past. Like it or not...it still is not fixed.

The Confessor
12-31-2011, 05:15 PM
When, other than Bradford (& the jury is still out), has an OU QB panned out in the NFL?

Man, I keep hearing this and it's not an accurate scenario.

Each school has a different make up every year. Comparing Jones to OU QB's of the past just isnt accurate in any way....

ALL that being said, If we pick Jones any earlier than mid 2nd round, we have officially screwed the Draft day pooch IMVHO

Austin Tatious
12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Felch you lecture your strawman fan, and then you want to pick an absolute loser of a player in Landry Jones. He will lose a ton of games in the NFL. All the hallmarks of bad quarterback play. Can't read defenses. No anticipation on his throws. Bad athlete, bad footwork. He sucks and will be a below 0.500 player. Book it. Go do your homework and get back with us.

Harry_Bagpipe
12-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Id rather drink Liquid Drano than select Jones with our first pick. If i had to choose, Id take Nick Foles in the second before I blew a number one pick on Landry Jones

Hayden Fox
12-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Jones looks soft to me as well. That is my biggest issue with him let alone I do not like the his mechanics in throwing the ball in terms of his upper body.

Elliott 1
12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
That sack was completely on the QB. Reiff did exactly what he was supposed to do. The QB was rattled and made a bonehead move to the outside instead of stepping up in the pocket.

He ran right into the pass rusher who obliged his idiocy.

As far as right tackle goes, the answer is Bergstrom. He is way underrated and is projected in the 4th round. He is older because of the mormon mission thing but is NFL ready and a steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'd go trade down,safety in the late 1st,Weeden and pass rusher in the 2nd,Zeitler OG in the 3rd, and Bergstrom in the 4th.

sinPHIN
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Man, I keep hearing this and it's not an accurate scenario.

Each school has a different make up every year. Comparing Jones to OU QB's of the past just isnt accurate in any way....

ALL that being said, If we pick Jones any earlier than mid 2nd round, we have officially screwed the Draft day pooch IMVHO
couldnt agree more

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Id rather drink Liquid Drano than select Jones with our first pick. If i had to choose, Id take Nick Foles in the second before I blew a number one pick on Landry Jones
and i would lay on a train track if ether one of those happens. foles =henne 2.0 = garbage

ChambersWI
12-31-2011, 07:38 PM
I'll just keep saying what I've been saying. If the new coach feels that they have a potential franchise QB, a guy they feel that THEY can mold (whether RG3, Tannehill, Jones, or whoever) then they take him. Don't draft strictly on need, but draft by your own board. Don't draft a QB just to draft a QB

The Confessor
12-31-2011, 07:41 PM
and i would lay on a train track if ether one of those happens. foles =henne 2.0 = garbage

No way, No how I touch Nick Foles-gold before the 4th round. No freakin way!!!!!

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Felch you lecture your strawman fan, and then you want to pick an absolute loser of a player in Landry Jones. He will lose a ton of games in the NFL. All the hallmarks of bad quarterback play. Can't read defenses. No anticipation on his throws. Bad athlete, bad footwork. He sucks and will be a below 0.500 player. Book it. Go do your homework and get back with us.

Here's my homework, keep drafting OL in first round like Spielman, Wannstandt, Sparano and Ireland and we keep losing.

There's no strawman here, pal. There's easily 5-10 fans who are convinced that picking a lineman who plays on the right side of the line with a top 10 pick is the way to go.

They're idiots

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 08:53 PM
I'll just keep saying what I've been saying. If the new coach feels that they have a potential franchise QB, a guy they feel that THEY can mold (whether RG3, Tannehill, Jones, or whoever) then they take him. Don't draft strictly on need, but draft by your own board. Don't draft a QB just to draft a QB

I'm talking about an overall draft philosophy that says take the best OL every year because we have a need on the right side is garbage and 1983 thinking that will keep this team from being any good.

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 08:54 PM
That sack was completely on the QB. Reiff did exactly what he was supposed to do. The QB was rattled and made a bonehead move to the outside instead of stepping up in the pocket.

He ran right into the pass rusher who obliged his idiocy.

As far as right tackle goes, the answer is Bergstrom. He is way underrated and is projected in the 4th round. He is older because of the mormon mission thing but is NFL ready and a steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'd go trade down,safety in the late 1st,Weeden and pass rusher in the 2nd,Zeitler OG in the 3rd, and Bergstrom in the 4th.

No sir. Reiff got abused by the end who ran right past him into the QB. His QB had no time to step up or back or whatever. I don't care what the blocking scheme was Reiff, whiffed.

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Jones looks soft to me as well. That is my biggest issue with him let alone I do not like the his mechanics in throwing the ball in terms of his upper body.

Yeah, I hate the way Rivers throws and RGIII as well.

seriously, dude, stick to stuff you know about. QB's throw differently, Jones has a strong arm. you can talk about accuracy but you and mechanics are probably as compatible as Nancy Pelosi and fiscal discipline.

The Confessor
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Here's my homework, keep drafting OL in first round like Spielman, Wannstandt, Sparano and Ireland and we keep losing.

There's no strawman here, pal. There's easily 5-10 fans who are convinced that picking a lineman who plays on the right side of the line with a top 10 pick is the way to go.

They're idiots

I already posted it in another post....

Go do your F-in homework before you come in here calling people idiots.

Go study the successful teams and look exactly who and what they are picking. Go study the Cheatriots and Steelers for gods sake. Their drafts the last 5 years, especially in the first 2 rounds, are FILLED with O-lineman and D-lineman.

Its teams like the Raiduhs and Redskins that keep making plays for flashy players that don't do jacksquat.

Go do YOUR f-in homework dude......

Generic Name
12-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Your alternatives will get a young QB killed. The tackle draft class is NOT strong with the exception of the top. You are not getting a starter in the 5th or 6th round. It is roster negligence for you to think you are going to plug in starter from that round.

You are going to take a young qb and protect him with John Jerry at RT? I do not mind putting Jerry at RG, but your young investment NEEDS to be protected.

Guy Whimper, Kareem McKenzie and Demetrius Bell are FA's if you want that route.

Max Starks sucks btw.

Don't hate drafting O-Line because you are bored with the picks from the past. Like it or not...it still is not fixed.

I hate drafting O-linemen first because its the wrong thing to do this year. It would come at a tremendous opportunity cost whether that is a WR or RGIII or Courtney Upshaw. Wake up, Hayden, RT is NOT the most pressing need on the roster. Just because we had a bad one this year doesn't mean it can't get fixed at a relatively low cost next year.

You guys who are obsessed with having FIVE pro-Bowlers on the line are juvenile, unrealistic and simplistic in your thinking and it happens every year in here. When are you going to wake up and grow up? We're not a good RT away from being a playoff team but could be a good impact player away from being one.

RT is simply NOT as important a position as FS, TE, pass rusher, QB or a number

when are you people going to realize that in these days you can't have an OL made up of 4 or 5 first round picks. Look around, Hayden, other teams, especially the good ones don't and haven't done that for a reason. You have to mix low cost vets and low round draft picks in there. Just because OL guru Sparano couldn't doesn't mean the next guy can't.

Our young investment at QB most likely isn't going to play next year. Moore is. There are lots of ways to upgrade Columbo and maybe the fanbase has just gotten sucked in by the stupid ways Sparano Ireland and the clowns before them ran the draft.

It obviously hasn't worked and the definition of insanity is to do the same thing year after year and expect different results.

I want RGIII this year not another OL. I want a chance at the next Jimmy Graham not some f'in OLineman again.

PSU Cane
12-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Felch,
Why must you post a new topic every few days with the same point? You hate the idea of drafting linemen.....got it. Anything else???

As for Landry Jones, i wouldn't draft him in the 1st. I think he gets rattled easily and won't handle the pressure of the NFL game. I'd rather draft an Olineman i know can start (DeCastro) than a kid like Jones who isn't any better than Moore and doesn't help this team. At this point i'd take Weeden over Jones anyway. He's more mature, bigger arm, more poised in the pocket and probably more NFL ready to contribute early or at least be a backup to Moore.

2413fanphins
12-31-2011, 11:20 PM
you don't like reiff as a prospect because he gave up one sack last night? intersting......

anybody know if zeitler from wisconsin can play RT? I think he'd plug right in at RG, but I have no idea as to whether he can play the RT position. I think wisconsins konz will probably be gone by round 2 no?

I was thinking an upshaw in the 1st and a wiscon OL at our 2nd round pick.

ChambersWI
12-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Felch,
Why must you post a new topic every few days with the same point? You hate the idea of drafting linemen.....got it. Anything else???

As for Landry Jones, i wouldn't draft him in the 1st. I think he gets rattled easily and won't handle the pressure of the NFL game. I'd rather draft an Olineman i know can start (DeCastro) than a kid like Jones who isn't any better than Moore and doesn't help this team. At this point i'd take Weeden over Jones anyway. He's more mature, bigger arm, more poised in the pocket and probably more NFL ready to contribute early or at least be a backup to Moore.

Jones is far from my favorite QB prospect but in hindsight he had no way of reaching the lofty expectations for him. Not just because of his skill set, but this Oklahoma team was extremely overrated and really big flaws (no inside running game, no TEs in the passing game). Jones was taken out in the red zone not because he struggled, but because Blake Bell is a 6'6 240 pound running QB and was the best inside runner that Oklahoma had (scoring 13 rushing TDs on the year).

Anyways, a huge thing has to be player development. Big part of it is how they are taught in the pros still.

Roman529
12-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Jones needed to have a good Insight Bowl game to have any shot of being a first rounder...instead he put up another crappy effort. No way the Phins should take this guy. Jones would be smart to return to OU and work on his game.

PSU Cane
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
you don't like reiff as a prospect because he gave up one sack last night? intersting......

anybody know if zeitler from wisconsin can play RT? I think he'd plug right in at RG, but I have no idea as to whether he can play the RT position. I think wisconsins konz will probably be gone by round 2 no?

I was thinking an upshaw in the 1st and a wiscon OL at our 2nd round pick.

No, Zeitler doesn't have the athleticism or feet to play RT imo. But after DeCastro, Zeitler is my next pick at guard. The guy is freakin' solid and scraps on every play.

Generic Name
01-01-2012, 01:56 AM

Go study the successful teams and look exactly who and what they are picking. Go study the Cheatriots and Steelers for gods sake. Their drafts the last 5 years, especially in the first 2 rounds, are FILLED with O-lineman and D-lineman.

Its teams like the Raiduhs and Redskins that keep making plays for flashy players that don't do jacksquat.

Ha, that's fascinating, Kinda like a third grader arguing for higher taxes. Junior, if you can't see the difference in the rosters of Miami vs NE or Pitt you shouldn't be following football,

You are an idiot if you don't see that the Pats and Steelers are at the stage and at the end of every first round of the draft BECAUSE they have skill position players we don't. There's a reason why they're drafting 26-32 every year, genius, and its not because of Ziggy Hood and Sebastian Vollmer you thicker than Hillary's ankles crap for brains fool.

They can afford to draft fill in starters, they're SB contenders every year. We're not and it is for a reason, wake up, DA

No good team in the league has 4 first round OL as many in here are proposing we do. It doesn't happen and shouldn't

We have ENOUGH first round OL and DL for awhile, junior. Do your own homework, tardo,

Generic Name
01-01-2012, 01:59 AM

Funny thing is most of you have NO idea what makes up a good qb. I'd take Landry on the basic premise that most of you Marlboro Lights average, Diet Coke swilling,James Patterson reading room temp IQ "fans" don't want him.

You can have Nick Foles

DevilInPgh
01-01-2012, 02:15 AM

And go do YOUR f'n homework by realizing that the Steelers can AFFORD to draft lineman after being stocked at all the skill positions and having All-Pro QBs. You think the Steelers got elite by ONLY drafting linemen? No. Drafting Polamalu, Big Ben, Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes, Lawrence Timmons, and Rashard Mendenhall in the 1st round is NOT what I call following your drafting strategy.

Hayden Fox
01-01-2012, 08:08 AM
I think teams like the Eagles, Steelers, Pats and Green Bay pretty much admit they built from the middle out. You have to do that. Bill Parcells tried I think, but failed.

The line must be legitimately fixed or none of your skill position players are going to reach their potential. Can you image a 6 foot 1 RGIII behind a ****ty O-line in his rookie year? He has to be protected. IF you are going to get RGIII, then RT must be taken care of in FA or in house. Again, who are your names? I am not saying you cannot fill it those ways, but you better get it right. RGIII would not last the season behind this ****ty 2011 o-line.

Look, if you do not want a RT in the 1st round, that is fine...but many of you have NO credible alternatives to fixing the position. Max Starks? Seriously.

Valandui
01-01-2012, 08:32 AM
The only OL I would take in the top ten is DeCastro, and that's a last resort type thing.

The Confessor
01-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Ha, that's fascinating, Kinda like a third grader arguing for higher taxes. Junior, if you can't see the difference in the rosters of Miami vs NE or Pitt you shouldn't be following football,

You are an idiot if you don't see that the Pats and Steelers are at the stage and at the end of every first round of the draft BECAUSE they have skill position players we don't. There's a reason why they're drafting 26-32 every year, genius, and its not because of Ziggy Hood and Sebastian Vollmer you thicker than Hillary's ankles crap for brains fool.

They can afford to draft fill in starters, they're SB contenders every year. We're not and it is for a reason, wake up, DA

No good team in the league has 4 first round OL as many in here are proposing we do. It doesn't happen and shouldn't

We have ENOUGH first round OL and DL for awhile, junior. Do your own homework, tardo,

You're calling me a tardo and prefixing it by calling me out as a 3rd grader :lol:

Go do some google searches and save yourself more em-bare-a$$-ment.

You've stated that successful teams only draft "Impact players" in the first couple of rounds. It took me all of 2 minutes to prove you are completely and totally clueless.

Welcome to my ignore list :up: .......

dolfan91
01-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I've come to the conclusion, Felch loves starting heated debates to TRY and get his point across!!! I think most of us Dolfan's realize there are other needs besides an Offensive Lineman ... in all the post I've read and have replied to the same thing is being said over and over again ... Most of the Dolfan's on this site know you can't ignore talents like DeCastro or Reiff in the top 10; IF guys like RGIII, Blackmon, Claiborne, Upshaw, Kirkpatrick are all off the board when Miami selects ... We all would love a playmaker on either side of the ball ... but guy's like Reiff and Decastro also fill a need ... perhaps not in Felch's opinion? BUT again IF all the other top talents are gone, you just can't ignore the O-line for the sake of a 2nd rate TE or Jones type QB ... it's counter productive ... I think we would all agree that winning in the trenches is important to win football games; and while Miami has a deep D-Line that has proven to be more than effective on game day, the O-Line is another story, and one of the reasons Sparano lost his job!!!

Hayden Fox
01-01-2012, 12:00 PM
You're calling me a tardo and prefixing it by calling me out as a 3rd grader :lol:

Go do some google searches and save yourself more em-bare-a$$-ment.

You've stated that successful teams only draft "Impact players" in the first couple of rounds. It took me all of 2 minutes to prove you are completely and totally clueless.

Welcome to my ignore list :up: .......

The ignore list is one of the best functions of this site. Never be afraid to use it.

3rdandinches
01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
The ignore list is one of the best functions of this site. Never be afraid to use it.

There needs to be a "You Contribute Nothing So Your Gone Function" for these types of posters.

uga3406
01-01-2012, 02:02 PM
if we take jones in the first we have a problem. pick up a wr. trade down something. jones isnt not a pro ready qb

I loved Jones going into the year but he looks like crap the last few weeks. I hope for his sake he stays in school another year.

houtz
01-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Tannehill > Jones

The Confessor
01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Tannehill > Jones

I don't agree with that. The best thing about Tannehill is he would cost us a 3rd round pick instead of 2nd I imagine.

X-Pacolypse
01-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Landry sucks.