PDA

View Full Version : Doug Haller: Osweiler weighing NFL Options

ChambersWI
01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
ASU beat writer Doug Haller just confirmed that Arizona State QB, Brock Osweiler is HEAVILY considering entering the draft. Apparently, not only is he not happy about his OC leaving for UCLA (and if you saw the bowl game, you saw how upset he was), but he is NOT impressed with the new staff after meeting them.

The other rumor going around is that Osweiler is willing to transfer out of ASU. More to come in the next few days

mrbunglez
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
If osweiler comes out hopefully all 6'7" of him becomes a dolphin. That would be great news.

PJack
01-04-2012, 10:59 PM
He can really use another year in college but I could see him going in the 2nd possibly even the 1st on potential alone.

sinPHIN
01-04-2012, 11:58 PM
just bc he is tall doesnt mean crap. he needs to stay in school he isnt ready. ether that or transfer to ucla. just bc he has potential doesnt mean he'll live up to. be smart stay in school, and become a better qb. i wouldnt draft him for the fact he is being a baby about a new staff. what is he going to do if he is drafted and the staff gets fired? throw a fit? grow up, its called life, get over it.

ckparrothead
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
My goodness. True conundrum prospect. He's not yet a consistent thrower of the football. Sometimes the ball will come off his hand it just doesn't look like a ball that comes out of a good QB. It looks like someone at a flag football game. Especially on the deeper shots.

Overly emotional, especially in that bowl game where he and the rest of the team got thrashed.

But his combination of size, incredible athleticism for the size, pocket passing ability, and improvisational ability to make stuff happen on the move...yikes. People complained a lot about Ryan Mallett's height making him too immobile but Osweiler has no such problem. He doesn't yet have a feel for when and how to improvise. Truthfully what he needs is GOOD coaching and a lot of time, a lot of reps.

But if you can get hold of him and take the time for a few years to get him reps, make him into a good player, allow him to mature as a person...yeesh. Sky's the limit.

Kistner10
01-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I would love for the Dolphins to get him. What round do you think he would go in CK?

He would be a lot like Kaeprnick IMO. Someone who is very talented but extremely raw. He'd be great to sit behind Moore or another veteran next year.

ckparrothead
01-05-2012, 01:01 AM
I think the 2nd round, based on how he finished the year in that bowl game.

hooshoops
01-05-2012, 01:12 AM
the best thing i think for that kid is to stay in school...

Ricky4Life
01-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I think he transfers out or goes the NFL route. I just dont see him staying at ASU.

CedarPhin
01-05-2012, 02:58 AM
I'd totally draft him and sit him behind Moore for a year or two.

MiamiDolfan85
01-05-2012, 08:27 AM
ASU beat writer Doug Haller just confirmed that Arizona State QB, Brock Osweiler is HEAVILY considering entering the draft. Apparently, not only is he not happy about his OC leaving for UCLA (and if you saw the bowl game, you saw how upset he was), but he is NOT impressed with the new staff after meeting them.

The other rumor going around is that Osweiler is willing to transfer out of ASU. More to come in the next few daysIf Osweiler declares,Im trading back mid twenties and taking him.....his potential is probably the msot intruging of anyone in the draft

early 2nd round-mid 2nd round grade as it stands. His measurables are gonna do wonders for him

MiamiDolfan85
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
I'd totally draft him and sit him behind Moore for a year or two.exactly. Just like Green Bay, and re-crafting Aaron Rodgers game. Osweiler needs to be saved from Osweiler. If he comes out, you take him in the second and you sit him for 2 years and mold him. The things this guy can potential do is just....

TedSlimmJr
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Definitely not impressed with Osweiler.

LouPhinFan
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I think the optimal situation for us drafting him would be to somehow get our hands on Peyton Manning for 3 or 4 years. Manning would be our #1, Moore our #2, and Osweiler as our #3. That would let us work with this kid as much as possible and let him learn from Manning next season. Moore is our backup next season. By the 2013 season, we let Moore walk making Osweiler our #2 behind Manning, giving him even more practice and work. Then when Manning is done, Osweiler would be ready to take over.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Roman529
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd take him in Round Two. I watch most of ASU's games (as an alum) and while he needs some work he has a ton of potential. He moves really well for a 6'8" guy as he was a basketball player most of his life. He's only been the starter at ASU for one year. He has a nice over-the-top throwing motion, and even when he throws it 3/4 sidearm nobody is going to slap down his passes. He throws well on the run, and can run for a first down when there is nothing there. He doesn't get "happy feet" too often but could work on his stance a little more. Has good accuracy on the deep passes.

The coaching situation has been a mess at ASU. Erickson had to go, and it looked like June Jones of SMU was going to replace him, and then they withdrew the offer. Todd Graham, the new ASU coach, is a bigger liar than Bobby Petrino and Nick Saban combined, so I could see why Osweiler is wanting to leave or transfer.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/01/97s302-1.jpg

DKphin
01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I think the 2nd round, based on how he finished the year in that bowl game.I really see him in the 3rd. Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I see him there.

WelcomeBack
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Being reported that Osweiler will hold a press conference Friday to announce he will be declaring for the NFL Draft.

lil tom digby
01-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Definitely not impressed with Osweiler.

Why? I enjoy reading your write ups on the QB's. I admit I'm biased toward tall, big armed pocket passers. It's one of the reasons I liked Mallet so much and felt gut punched when he went to the Patriots. If you would, what is your opinion of John Skelton. I'd really hoped the Dolphins would use a late round pick on him in 2010.
Tks.

TedSlimmJr
01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Why? I enjoy reading your write ups on the QB's. I admit I'm biased toward tall, big armed pocket passers. It's one of the reasons I liked Mallet so much and felt gut punched when he went to the Patriots. If you would, what is your opinion of John Skelton. I'd really hoped the Dolphins would use a late round pick on him in 2010.
Tks.

I'm also probably a little biased towards tall, big armed pocket passers. Other than being tall with a big arm and a little mobility, everything else is essentially an empty slate with Osweiler.

I don't like the way the ball comes out of his hand at all, it's very inconsistent and flawed. I don't understand how anybody who's studied his play with any level of significance can't come away with this immediately slapping them in the face.

He misses wide open receivers because he doesn't see the field well, and tends to stare down his intended target before finally pulling the trigger.

Osweiler has nothing other than one very average season playing quarterback against weak Pac-12 defenses under his belt in terms of a body of work. He has a lot to learn about playing the quarterback position. I seriously question whether or not he could make an NFL roster right now playing the position the way he does.

Brock Osweiler was made by Noel Mazzone's offense. The same one back offense using the same concepts from Dennis Erickson that made Ryan Leaf at Washington St. Mazzone uses a gimmick backfield motion where he sends a back screaming out of the backfield in motion to one side of the field in order to stress the defense's perimeter fulcrum. It's a zone read, but it's all filtered through a systemic way of horizontally stretching the defense in order to transform zone into man.

It's how the plays are packaged together that is designed to make the QB efficient (zone read, F-swing, stick/snag/scat/Drive/Y-Shallows/Verts/and tons of bubble screens.)

Mazzone's dropback passing game for Osweiler is so simplistic it's pathetic...which is why his footwork is bad. The purpose of Mazzone's offense is to widen the defense to get their inside zone game going, and open up passing windows in the middle of the field.

If you watch Mazzone's offense and pay attention to the motion of the back out of the backfield every snap, it's designed to remove a defender from the box in order to make a more decisive read for the quarterback. It immediately tells him which side of the field he's going to work.

I watch these offenses in college football now, and I have never seen such transparent objectives in my life. Coaching the fundamentals of defense is seemingly a lost art now, and doesn't appear to exist outside of the SEC.

I understand why Osweiler is so upset about losing Noel Mazzone... he didn't have to do anything.

As for Skelton, I really didn't study him much to be honest.

lil tom digby
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm also probably a little biased towards tall, big armed pocket passers. Other than being tall with a big arm and a little mobility, everything else is essentially an empty slate with Osweiler.

I don't like the way the ball comes out of his hand at all, it's very inconsistent and flawed. I don't understand how anybody who's studied his play with any level of significance can't come away with this immediately slapping them in the face.

He misses wide open receivers because he doesn't see the field well, and tends to stare down his intended target before finally pulling the trigger.

Osweiler has nothing other than one very average season playing quarterback against weak Pac-12 defenses under his belt in terms of a body of work. He has a lot to learn about playing the quarterback position. I seriously question whether or not he could make an NFL roster right now playing the position the way he does.

Brock Osweiler was made by Noel Mazzone's offense. The same one back offense using the same concepts from Dennis Erickson that made Ryan Leaf at Washington St. Mazzone uses a gimmick backfield motion where he sends a back screaming out of the backfield in motion to one side of the field in order to stress the defense's perimeter fulcrum. It's a zone read, but it's all filtered through a systemic way of horizontally stretching the defense in order to transform zone into man.

It's how the plays are packaged together that is designed to make the QB efficient (zone read, F-swing, stick/snag/scat/Drive/Y-Shallows/Verts/and tons of bubble screens.)

Mazzone's dropback passing game for Osweiler is so simplistic it's pathetic...which is why his footwork is bad. The purpose of Mazzone's offense is to widen the defense to get their inside zone game going, and open up passing windows in the middle of the field.

If you watch Mazzone's offense and pay attention to the motion of the back out of the backfield every snap, it's designed to remove a defender from the box in order to make a more decisive read for the quarterback. It immediately tells him which side of the field he's going to work.

I watch these offenses in college football now, and I have never seen such transparent objectives in my life. Coaching the fundamentals of defense is seemingly a lost art now, and doesn't appear to exist outside of the SEC.

I understand why Osweiler is so upset about losing Noel Mazzone... he didn't have to do anything.

Thank you for the write up, I swear I hate all these spread type offenses they run in college. It makes it so much tougher to judge the QB's that run them, plus they don't get taught/trained/prepared for the NFL It looks like fast break football, and like fast break basketball it works fine until a team makes you run a half court offense and you can't. Thanks again.

PJack
01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Good god Slimm. While I still remain intrigued at what I view as a very natural athlete with QB measurables you couldnt draw up on Madden, your analysis was fantastic. Only problem is now I have to hit up google to figure out what snag scat and Y shallows are. Appeciate what you and CK bring to these draft boards.

ChambersWI
01-05-2012, 10:13 PM

fair enough points. I think if Oz comes in with a good attitude and work ethic (which he supposedly does) I'd take a flyer on him if we can get a solid QB coach to work with him.

Plus his reasoning for leaving is more to do with feeling his stock will drop drastically if he goes back

TedSlimmJr
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Good god Slimm. While I still remain intrigued at what I view as a very natural athlete with QB measurables you couldnt draw up on Madden, your analysis was fantastic. Only problem is now I have to hit up google to figure out what snag scat and Y shallows are. Appeciate what you and CK bring to these draft boards.

Snag routes and Y-crosses are basically staples of Air-Raid offenses. Whether flooding zones, etc.. they're essential parts required for offenses designed to get the ball out of the QB's hand quickly on half field or 1 progression reads. When you don't have a sophisticated drop back passing game, and you're quarterback is playing from the Gun, it's all you have.

Here's a little video that will help better illustrate what I'm referring to in regards to the motion of the back out of the backfield, and how it immediately helps Osweiler determine which side of the field he's going to work based off reading one player (weakside linebacker, or flat defender).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7atmhWyBxA

RobertHorry
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't like Osweiler at all. The way that the ball comes off his hand can be down right disgusting sometimes and its sometimes it looks like its from some bum playing pick-up football. When he gets pressured, he will stare straight down the barrel and throw it, but the ball comes out uglier than usual and will have a high percentage of getting intercepted on the NFL level.

Even when throws the bombs, the ball comes out so awkwardly. I just don't see an NFL Quarterback in Osweiler, Maybe a 2nd or 3rd string, but not a starter.

He loves to stare down his intended target, and his composure in the pocket is nothing to be proud of.

I can't see him doing well in the NFL when he has the "Mazzone Offense" or in other words "How to do nothing as a quarterback" to run in college. What I mean by that is a 8th grade pee-wee quarterback could run Mazzone's offense. Concepts are not hard to understand, and everything is basically set on a plate for you.

Roman529
01-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't like Osweiler at all. The way that the ball comes off his hand can be down right disgusting sometimes and its sometimes it looks like its from some bum playing pick-up football. When he gets pressured, he will stare straight down the barrel and throw it, but the ball comes out uglier than usual and will have a high percentage of getting intercepted on the NFL level.

I really can't understand the criticism that some of you guys have. You probably would be mad with Dan Marino if he were still playing because his release was too fast. Watch this 60 yard TD pass from Osweiler to Aaron Pflugrad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgChtbodoI4&feature=related
What's awkward about it? Is it awkward that the ball went 60 yards and hit the receiver perfectly on the run? I think most people who criticize Osweiler haven't really seen him play. If his throws are "disgusting and ugly," I will take it every time.