PDA

View Full Version : FH's Financial Status: Generating More Support (I Know This Won't Be Popular but..)

Vaark
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I know that we've fortunately got beyond a financial hurdle, at least for now. For many of us, FH, far and away the most popular gathering place for Fins fans (and unfortunately some trolls) is like a comfortable and welcoming home away from home.

I'm also aware that these are tough times and for many even a $20 VIP contribution to support the site is stretching it; however $5 or $10 as a token of having one's heart in the right place and in the spirit of supporting the site we love IMO is not too much of a burden for most anyone.

I got this idea from a geographic nostalgia forum I also frequent - so it's not totally unrealistic or outrageous. They limit daily posts to a total of 2 for anyone who isn't a "supporter." My idea to stimulate more participation so that Matt doesn't have to keep underwriting the shortfalls out of his own pocket is to maybe make a limit of somewhere between 3-5 daily posts for non-supporters, and then proportionately increase that number depending on the specific $ contribution ranging up to unlimited for VIPs and equal amount $upporters.

What go me thinking about this is a particular enemy poster whose main intent over tens of thousands of posts is to insert himself into feel-good fins threads with the objective of deflating them by dispensing his delusional version of "reality."

After the latest crisis a few weeks ago and actually considering the nightmare of a site I'm very attached to unimaginably going dark, I grew upset that this individual who averages over 7 posts/day fighting with Fins fans has never once to the best of my knowledge, put his hand in his pocket in support of a site he often calls "ours"... and that many of us are actually enabling this behavior by underwriting his freeloading.

So that's my recommendation. It won't be popular, and I understand it will have an implication on advertising (well, maybe or maybe not depending on if FH gets credit each day for more than one IP visit.. and although I suspect it's not a major revenue flow and can be substituted for by measures like selling affiliated services for a comish), but after the initial esentful backlash, comparing this site to the vanilla ones out there, I think it would work because no other site compares favorably, has close to this participation and certainly won't remove those very many long term members who lurk more than post who only occasionally post.

Comments?

MiZFiT
01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Seems a little harsh.

Considering that the average posts per day is just an average and in my case, there are days will I will not post at all and other days where I could post 10-50 times. It just depends on my boredom and my schedule etc.

In my opinion, it would be both easier to manage and could possibly be more widely accepted.

0$ donated per year = 5 posts a day
Any donation over 5$ per year = unlimited posts

Being VIP already has its advantages over non-donators, no need to require somebody to pay $20 to get unlimited posts, IMO.

But think about it, just today, almost 2000 people visited the board. and I don't know the exact number of active members but 2000 * 5 = 10,000. And that is just including the people who donate $5.

More than enough money could be raised by simply requiring a $5 donation per 365.25 days. That is 1 cent per day to be a part of the best forum on the Internet.

Not a bad deal at all.

ROADRUNNER
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I just dont know, we have over 13000 active members but only 95 people dipped there hands into ther pocket and helped out Matt and the boy's.
WOW just WOW..........Let's see how they get on when it's gone.

Vaark
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I just threw those numbers out as a "for instance." This is a heavy traffic, graphic-intensive site that gobbles up bandwidth; why should Matt have to reach into his own pocket to keep it going when we'd all be lost without it?

All I know is that I got some serial-posting troll who insults me when I refute his BS denials with actual screenshots of his written word. Why should I help underwrite anti-Dolphins, often insulting bad behavior of someone who has never reached into his pocket to support a site he averages over 7posts/day on? It's kind of infuriating.

Fin Fan in Cali
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Bottom line is if you enjoy the site, then support it. The thing that really got me was only 95 people I think it was donated. That is really sad.

PhinzN703
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Whomever could you be speaking about? :lol:

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 09:27 AM
I have never seen someone so obsessed w/ another man, it's sad and pathetic.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/01/34edkht-1.jpg

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/01/34edkht-1.jpg

That's great Vaark but as has been explained befroe I don't go to wach individual forum, I clik on "new posts" so I never actually saw that stickied thread. If I did I would have donated a long time ago. I very much appreciate the board, the owner and mods do a great job here and I enjoy it here even discussing things w/ petty, jealous people who can't go over the fact that a Jet fan has the audacity to post here.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
That's great Vaark but as has been explained befroe I don't go to wach individual forum, I clik on "new posts" so I never actually saw that stickied thread. If I did I would have donated a long time ago. I very much appreciate the board, the owner and mods do a great job here and I enjoy it here even discussing things w/ petty, jealous people who can't go over the fact that a Jet fan has the audacity to post here.

25 posts today and counting, (on other's dimes)

remember this?

(yes I will let up on this once you actually carry your own weight as a much larger-than normal bandwidth gobbler)
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/01/11auxqw-1.jpg

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
25 posts today and counting, (on other's dimes)

remember this?

(yes I will let up on this once you actually carry your own weight as a much larger-than normal bandwidth gobbler)

other than being wrong about 25 posts today(this will be my 5th) what is your point? Maybe you should worry about other things like learning about this game? It's very pathetic the way you are acting- more pathetic than usual. You can't keep up in debates so this is the new route to go for you.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
other than being wrong about 25 posts today(this will be my 5th) what is your point? Maybe you should worry about other things like learning about this game? It's very pathetic the way you are acting- more pathetic than usual. You can't keep up in debates so this is the new route to go for you.

there ya go again. thanks for proving my point that I and many others are paying for an OCD blind jest homer to insult us when calling out his passive aggressive homeristic BS in a forum and on threads where he generally has no business butting into with the intent of derailing!

LOL@ the deflection: Still no hand in your pocket after claiming you didn't know and then you didn't know after you did. Can't afford the $20bucks? Just say so... or ask for an advance on your allowance.

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 12:00 PM
there ya go again. thanks for proving my point that I and many others are paying for an OCD blind jest homer to insult us when calling out his passive aggressive homeristic BS in a forum and on threads where he generally has no business butting into with the intent of derailing!

LOL@ the deflection: Still no hand in your pocket after claiming you didn't know and then you didn't know after you did. Can't afford the $20bucks? Just say so... or ask for an advance on your allowance.

Let's recap: It's ok for you to insult me which includes putting wrong info in a signature(one that makes you look really bad since you still don't get it), bashing me in posts and creating multiple threads to attack me but I can't respond?

Again, don't worry about what I am doing. Just like w/ football you have no idea what you are talking about.

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Just because FH is out of the deep end right now they could always use more moolah....You can donate now if you choose to. Its not like Matt is making money off this site.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Let's recap: It's ok for you to insult me which includes putting wrong info in a signature(one that makes you look really bad since you still don't get it), bashing me in posts and creating multiple threads to attack me but I can't respond?

Again, don't worry about what I am doing. Just like w/ football you have no idea what you are talking about.

same old shtick: anyone who dares to contradict, prove you wrong or whatever doesn't know what they're talking about or needs to be educated. You can shove your condescending freeloading BS up your azz. Despite your predictable OCD about getting in the last word, I'm done in this thread but will revisit this in a more timely and appropriate venue so long as you continue to be a serial-posting deadbeat homer.

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 12:39 PM
same old shtick: anyone who dares to contradict, prove you wrong or whatever doesn't know what they're talking about or needs to be educated. You can shove your condescending freeloading BS up your azz. Despite your predictable OCD about getting in the last word, I'm done in this thread but will revisit this in a more timely and appropriate venue so long as you continue to be a serial-posting deadbeat homer.

There are tons of great posters on here that can keep up or beat me in debates- you aren't one of them and that ridiculous sig you posted proves it. The fact that you still can't grasp that basic point is mindboggling.

I love people whining about me getting in the last word, it's about responding to what has been posted. Why wouldn't I respond? You are slinking away from this thread b/c, as usual, you know you are wrong.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd think someone who derisively responds to new fins fans by using the shtick "welcome to our forum, " proudly points to 9 years being a "member," averages over 7 posts a day..

who, despite never missing a feel good FH post in the main forum that he can deflate or derail, claims to have overlooked the urgent calls to financial arms going hot and heavy for a week, as this site almost went black, then was told of such but still claims ignorance despite even our owner suggesting he dig in his pocket:

wouldn't have to be prodded to do the right thing unless: he either couldn't afford the $20, has his custodial guardian balk at paying it, , or more likely is a just a cheap, freeloading parasite who feeds off the generous support of actual fins fans for whom this board is intended. And that's the biggest insult and effyou to legitimate FH members!

All your accusatory and insulting deflections aside, that's what it boils down to: It is what it is

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/01/wvr9cl-1.jpg

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I'd think someone who derisively responds to new fins fans by using the shtick "welcome to our forum, " proudly points to 9 years being a "member," averages over 7 posts a day..

who, despite never missing a feel good FH post in the main forum that he can deflate or derail, claims to have overlooked the urgent calls to financial arms going hot and heavy for a week, as this site almost went black, then was told of such but still claims ignorance despite even our owner suggesting he dig in his pocket:

wouldn't have to be prodded to do the right thing unless: he either couldn't afford the $20, has his custodial guardian balk at paying it, , or more likely is a just a cheap, freeloading parasite who feeds off the generous support of actual fins fans for whom this board is intended. And that's the biggest insult and effyou to legitimate FH members!

All your accusatory and insulting deflections aside, that's what it boils down to: It is what it is

It's funny getting inside the mind of such a petty, jealous man like yourself. I speak the truth, I prasie Miami when they deserve it and I criticize when they don't- just like the Jets. It's not my fault that you cannot handle the truth and think Miami is better at everything and the Jets suck at everything.

AGAIN, I wouldn't worry about others- just worry about yourself. I don't do things to get attention here unlike yourself. You are like those celebs that will do charity work when there is a TV camera around so it looks good- I'm not like that.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
It's funny getting inside the mind of such a petty, jealous man like yourself. I speak the truth, I prasie Miami when they deserve it and I criticize when they don't- just like the Jets. It's not my fault that you cannot handle the truth and think Miami is better at everything and the Jets suck at everything.

AGAIN, I wouldn't worry about others- just worry about yourself. I don't do things to get attention here unlike yourself. You are like those celebs that will do charity work when there is a TV camera around so it looks good- I'm not like that.

are you gonna financially support the site where you've posted 20thousand times over 9 years, ironically mostly always also on your employer's time and dime, (double dipping deadbeat) -or not? Consider that even some financially hard-pressed members pulled in their belt stepping up to donate what they could to keep FH running. For someone of your "status" and history here, you shouldn't even have to be prodded to do the right thing, even if the site was running smoothly. I guess it takes all kinds

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Can I ask you why do you choose not to donate Junc?

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Can I ask you why do you choose not to donate Junc?

I haven't chosen not to donate.

are you gonna financially support the site where you've posted 20thousand times over 9 years, ironically mostly always also on your employer's time and dime, (double dipping deadbeat) -or not? Consider that even some financially hard-pressed members pulled in their belt stepping up to donate what they could to keep FH running. For someone of your "status" and history here, you shouldn't even have to be prodded to do the right thing, even if the site was running smoothly. I guess it takes all kinds

Imagine if you spent time learning the game that you spend thinking and worrying about me, we'd actually be able to have an intelligent football discussion together. Do you bring me up at the dinner table?

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Imagine if you spent time learning the game that you spend thinking and worrying about me, we'd actually be able to have an intelligent football discussion together. Do you bring me up at the dinner table?

I dont understand? Why didnt you donate when FH needs money? I felt kind guilty I had to donate.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM

So you don't mind if by the remote chance you win "best enemy poster" this go around if you get the badge but not the accompanying VIP badge or free VIP/Supporter relief from ads that comes with it, since it's obviously unimportant to you, right? I will do my best to convince others to oblige.

Oh and Tuna, can you think of another 20thousand 9year FH poster who hasn't at least at one time or another done the right thing to support the site he spent so much time on?

nyjunc
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I dont understand? Why didnt you donate when FH needs money? I felt kind guilty I had to donate.

The 100% honest truth is I had no idea the site needed money, I always clik "new posts" so I didn't see the stickied thread until my #1 fan started whining about it to me w/ his new crusade. As far as donating, I will do it when I am ready and I won't ask for publicity for it. I may have already done it? I may not have, no one needs to know other than the owner if I have or if I will donate.

So you don't mind if by the remote chance you win "best enemy poster" this go around if you get the badge but not the accompanying VIP badge or free VIP/Supporter relief from ads that comes with it, since it's obviously unimportant to you, right? I will do my best to convince others to oblige.

Oh and Tuna, can you think of another 20thousand 9year FH poster who hasn't at least at one time or another done the right thing to support the site he spent so much time on?

I don't need a badge and I do not want VIP access, I had it 2 years ago when I won. I feel that should be only dolphin fans, I don't need recognition for donating or VIP access.

Your petty jealousy already helped a non poster win the award last year. Whether I get the award or not I know I'm one of the best posters on the site and I know what I contribute to the site. The recognition of the award is nice and I hope I win but I don't really need recognition to know what I mean to the board. We all have different views, ther are many great posters here who act like adults and can engage in an intelligent discussion w/ non Phin fans but the voacl minority are not like that. No one gets attacked more than I do, I give it back a little bit sometimes depending upon what type of mood I am in but it's nothing compared to how I am attacked but that's ok. I'm a big boy, I can take it. I don't take anything personal that is written on this board, this stuff is all in fun- some folks take it too seriously and waste their time dreaming about me. I can't help those people.

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
The 100% honest truth is I had no idea the site needed money, I always clik "new posts" so I didn't see the stickied thread until my #1 fan started whining about it to me w/ his new crusade. As far as donating, I will do it when I am ready and I won't ask for publicity for it. I may have already done it? I may not have, no one needs to know other than the owner if I have or if I will donate.

I don't need a badge and I do not want VIP access, I had it 2 years ago when I won. I feel that should be only dolphin fans, I don't need recognition for donating or VIP access.

Your petty jealousy already helped a non poster win the award last year. Whether I get the award or not I know I'm one of the best posters on the site and I know what I contribute to the site. The recognition of the award is nice and I hope I win but I don't really need recognition to know what I mean to the board. We all have different views, ther are many great posters here who act like adults and can engage in an intelligent discussion w/ non Phin fans but the voacl minority are not like that. No one gets attacked more than I do, I give it back a little bit sometimes depending upon what type of mood I am in but it's nothing compared to how I am attacked but that's ok. I'm a big boy, I can take it. I don't take anything personal that is written on this board, this stuff is all in fun- some folks take it too seriously and waste their time dreaming about me. I can't help those people.

I only click new posts button too...Matter of fact I was on my phone and saw it under "Breaking News" so I clicked it..Like I said I had to donate because I spend alot of time on this site and would have been devasted if I was not able to come here and talk to the ppl that I have become friends with.. That is just me tho. If you did donate then that is great..Even 5 dollars helps. If you didnt donate and never will then I kinda gotta agree with Vaark on this one...Your on here alot...Maybe not as much as me but your on here. I am sure your not the only one but your one of the more reconizable posters on here because indeed you are a jets fan... I hope you value this site as much as I do.

NY8123
01-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Take the he said she said bull**** to another thread. This is the questions/comments forum and the question here is how to further help the site? Stop the bickering I don't really care who is right or wrong in the argument what is certain is this is the wrong spot for the argument.

I like the initial suggestion but it would have to be broken down based on bandwidth consumption, my guess is that people who post graphics and pictures consume more width than someone who posts 5 to 20 text posts a day or maybe it could be broken down to 5 bucks = x amount of posts all the way to VIP = unlimited.

I would have to ask the Admis or Matt but my guess is if you disabled the casual posters ability to post videos and pictures it might help with rising costs.

Vaark
01-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Take the he said she said bull**** to another thread. This is the questions/comments forum and the question here is how to further help the site? Stop the bickering I don't really care who is right or wrong in the argument what is certain is this is the wrong spot for the argument.

I like the initial suggestion but it would have to be broken down based on bandwidth consumption, my guess is that people who post graphics and pictures consume more width than someone who posts 5 to 20 text posts a day or maybe it could be broken down to 5 bucks = x amount of posts all the way to VIP = unlimited.

I would have to ask the Admis or Matt but my guess is if you disabled the casual posters ability to post videos and pictures it might help with rising costs.

You're right, there'll be occasion soon enough for that.

As someone who obviously uses graphics, I'm more in favor of a graduated daily posting limit up to unlimited for VIP. As originally mentioned, the idea comes from a geographic nostalgic board I frequent which actually restricts non supporters to 2 posts/day. Now that's way kind of low in the context of the give and take discussions and arguments, but IMO 5 is not unreasonable for non-supporters and might even motivate some to make donations. With such a robust site, having 100 members step up is disillusioning.

And when all is said and done, this site almost going dark last month would have been a lot of members worst nightmare. Keeping it afloat is what it's all this is about... that and the fact that there's no reason that Matt should have to dig into his own personal funds to cover the monthly shortfalls.

Wildbill3
01-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Ok guys. I'm sorry I haven't checked back on this thread sooner. I think it's ran its course and it's time to shut it down.