PDA

View Full Version : RG3 Or Luck? whos going 1st overall?

mrbunglez
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I like this debate you never know whats going to happen in the draft cause Irsay said he wants another QB and he did mention RG3 as a possibility. If thats the case do you trade up to 2nd overall to pick up Luck?
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7419742/robert-griffin-iii-not-andrew-luck-right-pick-indianapolis-colts

Hayden Fox
01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Luck no question...

I like RGIII, but I do not know I can stomach the compensation to move up...

silverfin
01-05-2012, 09:03 PM
If Indianapolis doesn't want to draft Luck then they will trade the pick. It is worth too much for them to let Luck slip to the second overall pick. But yes, I would trade up in a heartbeat.

slosh13
01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Luck no question...

I like RGIII, but I do not know I can stomach the compensation to move up... 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders is what I've read!

slosh13
01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
If Indianapolis doesn't want to draft Luck then they will trade the pick. It is worth too much for them to let Luck slip to the second overall pick. But yes, I would trade up in a heartbeat. I agree 100%!

mrbunglez
01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
3 first rounders and 2 second rounders is what I've read!

I'd do that if it was for the 2nd overall and Luck was there.

JCane
01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
This isn't even up for debate.

The first pick in the 2012 is Andrew Luck. RGIII isn't even top five material.

slosh13
01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I'd do that if it was for the 2nd overall and Luck was there.But not for the 1st?

mrbunglez
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
But not for the 1st?

Hell yeah I'd do that for the 1st but I think it'd take a lot more than that.

mrbunglez
01-05-2012, 09:16 PM
This isn't even up for debate.

The first pick in the 2012 is Andrew Luck. RGIII isn't even top five material.

You never know anythings possible....

JCane
01-05-2012, 09:48 PM
You never know anythings possible....

Anyone who is looking to take a QB in this draft is taking Andrew Luck over RGIII.

Luck is THE prize in this draft. He's the first true franchise QB to enter the draft since John Elway.

datruth55
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
If Indy picks Griffin #1 overall then we should be trading whatever it takes to get #2 and I'll run up to New York myself with the card announcing Miami has traded the pick and they select Andrew Luck.

I wouldn't even watch the rest of the draft, it would be complete for me.

PJack
01-05-2012, 10:10 PM
If Indy picks Griffin #1 overall then we should be trading whatever it takes to get #2 and I'll run up to New York myself with the card announcing Miami has traded the pick and they select Andrew Luck.

I wouldn't even watch the rest of the draft, it would be complete for me.

Wouldn't need to watch the rest...we wouldnt have any picks left! I'm with you though...totally worth it.

datruth55
01-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Wouldn't need to watch the rest...we wouldnt have any picks left! I'm with you though...totally worth it.
I wouldn't care, lol. If we got Luck they can take the rest of our picks. Luck on this team as it is right now would win 10 or 11 games. Sign a few undrafted free agent OL and a DT to groom as a NT, couple free agents and we'd be a playoff team.

semperkillz
01-06-2012, 07:48 AM
It will be
1) Luck
2) Blackmon
3-4) RG3

8-9) A bust

The Confessor
01-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Anyone who is looking to take a QB in this draft is taking Andrew Luck over RGIII.

Luck is THE prize in this draft. He's the first true franchise QB to enter the draft since John Elway.

Peyton Manning is 5X the "Franchise QB" Johnny overthrow ever was....it's not even close.

JCane
01-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Peyton Manning is 5X the "Franchise QB" Johnny overthrow ever was....it's not even close.

That wasn't my point, my man.

The point was, coming out of college, John Elway was without ANY doubt whatsoever THE franchise QB. A guy who could come in and flip a franchise overnight. Peyton Manning, while very very similar coming out of college and also labeled a franchise QB, was not the undisputed franchise QB as he did have some who felt that Ryan Leaf was the better QB.

Andrew Luck's situation, hype, etc., is identical to what Elway received. The problem is, the phrase "franchise QB" is loosely thrown around and its true definition is misunderstood.

And to say that it's not even close is a severe discredit to John Elway. I've never been John Elway's biggest fan but he is one of the five best QB's in the history of the NFL IMO. However, I do feel that his contribution to the Broncos Super Bowl titles is a bit overvalued. I think Terrell Davis played as big a part if not bigger part than Elway did. Elway needed Davis to get it done because of the way the league was shaped back them. The RB position was so much more important then than it is now and that is THE primary reason that Dan Marino never won anything.

And I do feel that if we're looking at today and back, Peyton Manning is a better QB than Elway and more valuable to the Colts franchise than Elway was. But before these two hit the NFL and took a snap, Elway was more of a franchise player than Manning.

Dan Marino
Peyton Manning
Joe Montana
John Elway
Tom Brady

That's my five. We could argue that list top to bottom for years. But I've got Dan and Peyton at the top because of what they mean to their team's respective offense. For what Dan did with what little he had during that era of the NFL is undescribably beyond phenomenal. Peyton is without any question the best pre-snap QB the game will probably ever see (and call me crazy if you want but Eli isn't far behind as far as pre-snap is concerned). And I've always felt that Joe Montana was a bit overrated because of the insane number of weapons he had surrounding him his entire career. Great offensive lines with some great running backs to hand off to and the greatest wide receiver of all-time to throw to.

mega-fin-love
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
As much as I want Luck there is know way I would give up 3 firsts and 2 seconds. That is just to much risk

Tunaphish429
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Luck

Better name, better player.

Harry_Bagpipe
01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah. Ive been seeing some of the media saying they would take RG3 over Luck as the number one pick. LOL Kordell Stewart, Skip Bayless(hes a fool anyway) and a few others. Dont know if they actually believe it or just trying to create a stir. Its all irrelevant anyway. Luck is going one and thats pretty much a given as it should be

ChrisHanson
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
That wasn't my point, my man.

The point was, coming out of college, John Elway was without ANY doubt whatsoever THE franchise QB. A guy who could come in and flip a franchise overnight. Peyton Manning, while very very similar coming out of college and also labeled a franchise QB, was not the undisputed franchise QB as he did have some who felt that Ryan Leaf was the better QB.

Andrew Luck's situation, hype, etc., is identical to what Elway received. The problem is, the phrase "franchise QB" is loosely thrown around and its true definition is misunderstood.

And to say that it's not even close is a severe discredit to John Elway. I've never been John Elway's biggest fan but he is one of the five best QB's in the history of the NFL IMO. However, I do feel that his contribution to the Broncos Super Bowl titles is a bit overvalued. I think Terrell Davis played as big a part if not bigger part than Elway did. Elway needed Davis to get it done because of the way the league was shaped back them. The RB position was so much more important then than it is now and that is THE primary reason that Dan Marino never won anything.

And I do feel that if we're looking at today and back, Peyton Manning is a better QB than Elway and more valuable to the Colts franchise than Elway was. But before these two hit the NFL and took a snap, Elway was more of a franchise player than Manning.

Dan Marino
Peyton Manning
Joe Montana
John Elway
Tom Brady

That's my five. We could argue that list top to bottom for years. But I've got Dan and Peyton at the top because of what they mean to their team's respective offense. For what Dan did with what little he had during that era of the NFL is undescribably beyond phenomenal. Peyton is without any question the best pre-snap QB the game will probably ever see (and call me crazy if you want but Eli isn't far behind as far as pre-snap is concerned). And I've always felt that Joe Montana was a bit overrated because of the insane number of weapons he had surrounding him his entire career. Great offensive lines with some great running backs to hand off to and the greatest wide receiver of all-time to throw to.

I just have to touch on your top 5 considering you're talking about what each meant/did for their respective teams.

Marino retires- Dolphins suck ever since

Manning is hurt- Colts go 2-14

Montana leaves for KC- Young doesn't miss a beat

Elway retires- Broncos suck

Brady hurt- Pats go 11-5

Not taking anything away from Brady or Montana...both are HoF QB's, but their respective teams were/are light years ahead of the league. That's why another QB could come into that system and play lights out. Manning, Elway and Marino WERE the system until they retired/got hurt.

NorFlaFin
01-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I just have to touch on your top 5 considering you're talking about what each meant/did for their respective teams.

Brady hurt- Pats go 11-5

Not taking anything away from Brady or Montana...both are HoF QB's, but their respective teams were/are light years ahead of the league. That's why another QB could come into that system and play lights out. Manning, Elway and Marino WERE the system until they retired/got hurt.

Your comparison speaks more their teams having a successful transition plan in place. Kudos to the respective teams, coaching staffs, and front offices.

JCane
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Brady hurt- Pats go 11-5

Brady is the toughest QB to evaluate IMO. We as Dolphin fans want so badly to chalk his success up to him being a system QB but I'm just not buying that as much as I once did. Belichick's past draft classes are getting worse and worse and that defense is just awful today. I'm beginning to question just how smart the man really is. So I think Brady and Belichick are the perfect combo. I think Bill could take Ryan Mallett and enjoy success but not at the level that he has with Brady. Conversely, I think Brady could move elsewhere and prove that he's not the full-blown system QB that we think he is.