PDA

View Full Version : Colts drafting Luck

Spesh
01-07-2012, 03:20 PM
With the stunning dismissal of Bill Polian, the architect of the Colts' 11 playoff appearances, uncertainties remain over Peyton Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1428/peyton-manning)'s health and Jim Caldwell's future as coach, but sources say one thing is certain: Colts owner Jim Irsay plans to take Andrew Luck (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28325/andrew-luck) with the draft's first-round pick.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7435726/indianapolis-colts-draft-andrew-luck-stanford-cardinal-no-1-pick-sources-say

Not surprising.

So lets see, a single team was in position to draft John Elway, Peyton Manning, and now Andrew Luck. Man i hate the Colts.

Roman529
01-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say it is an absolute slam dunk as to who the Colts might draft. For one thing there is Peyton Manning's health. He may or may not be ready to play again in 2012. They Colts have to decide whether to pay Manning a $28 million bonus by the first week of March. If they don't pay his bonus and cut him, they have to pay him an $18 million buy out and he would become a free agent. There also are some people who feel RG3 might be a better fit for them, and more deserving of the overall #1 pick. There also may be some teams who wish to move up and acquire the #1 pick.

Spesh
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't say it is an absolute slam dunk as to who the Colts might draft. For one thing there is Peyton Manning's health. He may or may not be ready to play again in 2012. They Colts have to decide whether to pay Manning a $28 million bonus by the first week of March. If they don't pay his bonus and cut him, they have to pay him an $18 million buy out and he would become a free agent. There also are some people who feel RG3 might be a better fit for them, and more deserving of the overall #1 pick. There also may be some teams who wish to move up and acquire the #1 pick.

I think theres no doubt that Luck is the pick. Apparently Irsay wants that position secure for the next 12-15 years, and he has also mentioned that he regretted his father trading away Elway. He doesnt want to make the same mistake.

As well, if they were going to draft RG3 they probably would have kept Polian, who decided that if Luck wasn't available then RG3 would be more then good enough to draft. Even then Polian liked Luck more then Griffen.

According to NBC's pregame show, Manning and Irsay are in talks of pushing back the payment deadline. Despite that, i have little doubt Manning will end up a free agent or traded.

datruth55
01-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure what the significance is of pushing back the payment deadline unless they're planing to trade him during the draft or trying to figure out if his neck is going to heal 100%.

JCane
01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Stunning development.

Roman529
01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I think theres no doubt that Luck is the pick. Apparently Irsay wants that position secure for the next 12-15 years, and he has also mentioned that he regretted his father trading away Elway. He doesnt want to make the same mistake.

Irsay's father didn't have much choice in the matter. John Elway threatened to go play professional baseball if the Colts didn't trade him away. Elway didn't want to play for the Colts and their coach (Frank Kush). The Colts eventually traded him to Denver for a first round pick, a QB named Mark Herrmann, and O-lineman Chris Hinton.

Spesh
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Irsay's father didn't have much choice in the matter. John Elway threatened to go play professional baseball if the Colts didn't trade him away. Elway didn't want to play for the Colts and their coach (Frank Kush). The Colts eventually traded him to Denver for a first round pick, a QB named Mark Herrmann, and O-lineman Chris Hinton.

Didnt say otherwise, just stated Irsay doesn't want that situation to happen again. Andrew Luck is a slam dunk franchise quarterback. Jim Irsay sees that and doesnt want to miss out, especially after watching Elway get away and have a hall of fame career.

hooshoops
01-08-2012, 11:32 AM
yep...colts taking andrew luck...irsay tells everyone to shove it looking to acquire the pick in trade...figures...5 well worth it damn wins

MarshallFin1
01-08-2012, 11:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7435726/indianapolis-colts-draft-andrew-luck-stanford-cardinal-no-1-pick-sources-say

Not surprising.

So lets see, a single team was in position to draft John Elway, Peyton Manning, and now Andrew Luck. Man i hate the Colts.

and why is it that colts are always in a position to draft the great qbs? because of how they structure there team. Taking a qb in the first round gives u a great a chance to get the next aaron rodgers and peyton manning. Miami has had that chance now for how long? passed on aaron rodgers, matt ryan, blaine gabbert, ect.... if anything ppl should be hating our front office for not realizing how important a qb is to a team.

Valandui
01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry, was this ever in doubt?

Valandui
01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
and why is it that colts are always in a position to draft the great qbs? because of how they structure there team. Taking a qb in the first round gives u a great a chance to get the next aaron rodgers and peyton manning. Miami has had that chance now for how long? passed on aaron rodgers, matt ryan, blaine gabbert, ect.... if anything ppl should be hating our front office for not realizing how important a qb is to a team.
Right, but isn't it odd how the Colts have just happened to have the first overall pick for John Elway, Jeff George, Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck? I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.