PDA

View Full Version : The case for a Pass Rusher

ticophin
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Looking at the game winners this weekend, it was obvious that pass rushing was an integral part of their Defenseīs ability to control the opposing QB. Houston secured a playoff spot a long time ago (albeit the Colts and Jags having horrible years), but they did it without A. Johnson and Arian most of the year, not to mention their QB situation...They send Watts, Cushing, Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Connor Barwin, and others to rush the passer. The Gmen, Steelers, and Broncos, were chasing the Qbs all day, and with QBs like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers out there, you only stand a chance if you make life miserable to these guys. Now, should CamWake go down, we have NO options to rush the QB. Misi and Ike canīt penetrate, and the rest are more interior linemen, my opinion, we need at least 2 pass rushers next season, FA and draft!!

SF Dolphin Fan
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Looking at the game winners this weekend, it was obvious that pass rushing was an integral part of their Defenseīs ability to control the opposing QB. Houston secured a playoff spot a long time ago (albeit the Colts and Jags having horrible years), but they did it without A. Johnson and Arian most of the year, not to mention their QB situation...They send Watts, Cushing, Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Connor Barwin, and others to rush the passer. The Gmen, Steelers, and Broncos, were chasing the Qbs all day, and with QBs like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers out there, you only stand a chance if you make life miserable to these guys. Now, should CamWake go down, we have NO options to rush the QB. Misi and Ike canīt penetrate, and the rest are more interior linemen, my opinion, we need at least 2 pass rushers next season, FA and draft!!Definitely. In fact, while I agree Miami should do everything in its power to duplicate the type of offense Green Bay has I think the quicker route to the playoffs is finishing off a pretty good defense. Bring in someone like Courtney Upshaw in round 1 and a ballhawk in the secondary.

damanref10
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
The only way to counter what the NFL has evolved into offensively these days is to get consistent pressure on the quarterback. IMO when it comes to the draft you always take the Best Player Available, and I have a feeling at where we are going to be slotted this year, a pass rusher might be the ideal pick.

sn9ke.eyes
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Mario Williams has been out since October on injured reserve.

ticophin
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Upshaw loooks fierce tonight!!!

NorFlaFin
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
The quickest way to lose in the regular season and NOT make the playoffs is to ignore the QB position.

Hayden Fox
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Also, one way to spring up the standings is to CREATE TURNOVERS...We did that the last half of the season and we had a chance in every game at least and some we blew out. Turnovers are the ultimate equalizer.

sinPHIN
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
The quickest way to lose in the regular season and NOT make the playoffs is to ignore the QB position.
after the top two prospects there is a huge drop off. we wont be able to get a franchise guy unless we trade up or trade for flynn. we all know we nee a qb. but the only real chance we have is flynn imo.

sinPHIN
01-09-2012, 11:10 PM
the rusher i want is bruce irvine. wouldnt mind upshaw, or curry from marshall. we def need someone opposite of wake

sinPHIN
01-09-2012, 11:47 PM
i dont think upshaw would be worth a top 10 pick. he is a great player, but his explosion and speed needs to improve. maybe it would improve if he lost some wieght

quasi
01-10-2012, 12:21 AM
I would love to get a pass rusher that has the potential to develop into an elite player.

IMO, pass rush has become a MAJOR part of the game and is the second most important part of a team behind a franchise qb. If you can consistently get pressure without sending more than 4, that is a gigantic advantage.

insom187
01-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Is there a chance to hire Taylor as a coach now that he's retired and work with OLBs and DEs? He is what all the best pass rushers are now, fast with an incredible first move off the snap and would surely help out any players we put in those positions on the field.

Elliott 1
01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Why is every one assuming we will be running a 3-4 defense again next year??

There is a good chance we will be looking for three traditional 4-3 DE's next offseason because Misi is a backup LB and JT retired, Francis is a FA and worthless and Trusnick belongs in the arena league.

If Fisher comes to Miami it's going to be a 4-3, and that means guys like Coples,Mercilus,Crick,Trevor Guyton, and Chandler Jones.

JRYCRL
01-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Why is every one assuming we will be running a 3-4 defense again next year??

There is a good chance we will be looking for three traditional 4-3 DE's next offseason because Misi is a backup LB and JT retired, Francis is a FA and worthless and Trusnick belongs in the arena league.

If Fisher comes to Miami it's going to be a 4-3, and that means guys like Coples,Mercilus,Crick,Trevor Guyton, and Chandler Jones.

Which means trading back... way back for more picks.... I don't care if we trade back 10 spots for another 3rd round pick. After we don't get our future QB, everyone/thing else is a crap shoot. I wish we'd draft like NE. They move back every year and have 8 picks in the first 4 round repeatedly. They'll do it again this year, watch.

SMadison29
01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Right now Upshaw is the guy I want in the first round if Luck & RGIII are unattainable. Then an offensive playmaker in round 2 & right side oline help in round three. Cameron Wake is no spring chicken & Misi has been a bust. Need someone else to put the heat on the QB.

SMadison29
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
the rusher i want is bruce irvine. wouldnt mind upshaw, or curry from marshall. we def need someone opposite of wake

Bruce Irvin is the one pass rusher I don't want & wouldn't take. He couldn't even start on West Virginia's defense. He is extremely one dimensional, a liability vs the run & the pass, doesn't play disciplined... I wouln't spend a pick in the first three rounds of the draft that is only capable of playing 3rd down on defense.

dr.jake
01-10-2012, 07:42 PM
what are the thoughts on oklahoma's ronnel lewis if we drop back?

2413fanphins
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
courtney upshaw. end of story.