PDA

View Full Version : Jim1 mock draft 1/9/12

jim1
01-09-2012, 10:27 AM
1. David DeCastro OG

Trade down in the 1st with Cincinnati or Chicago- Cedric Benson is pushing 30 and Matt Forte blew out his knee. Trent Richardson is a stud who I would seriously consider for us if not for Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. This is a play for an absolute stud at a need position, bottom line. Granted, trading down is easier said than done.

2a. Brandon Weeden QB

Intriguing, controversial player who I think is just that good. Might be a target for the Jets in the 1st round with Sanchez failing (they might very well make a play for Peyton Manning) or Cleveland/Washington in the 2nd rd before our pick, especially with the Skins coaching in the Senior Bowl, where I expect Weeden to shine. He's simply that good, in my opinion.

2b. Coby Fleener TE

He's the guy imo, the TE with size, speed and craftiness at a position where we need all of those qualities. Pretty good blocker from what I've seen, too. Good compliment to Fasano.

3. Joe Adams WR/KR

I know very little about this guy, having just heard of him during the Cotton Bowl, but his talent is undeniable imo from what I saw. Just what the doctor ordered for our special teams and speed/quikness at WR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxW2mL8BbOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPjkmgUcWg

5. Orson Charles TE

This might be somewhat of a redundancy with Charles Clay on the roster, but I'll take that chance. Questionable blocking and a bit undersized, but quite an athlete who can provide mismatches against linebackers and safeties.

6. Brandon Mosely OT

Quality RT candidate- I'm tired of the Cowboys reject squad, and despite 3 1st rd picks on the oline, we need help there. Colombo's crapitude speaks for itself, and Carey is fading. I'd prefer Matt Reynolds, but imo he'll be gone before this pick.

7. Russell Wilson QB

He's just too damn good to ignore and will fall due to his lack of height. This is a very talented player, bottom line.

Obvioulsy I bypassed defensive help- time to strengthen the O in my opinion. Jimmy Wilson and Reshad Jones helped to strengthen the secondary and if Misi can't get it done opposite Cameron Wake, hopefully we can find a good pass rushing OLB in FA. Misi is the biggest problem- I'd rather give him another shot and target OLB in FA than devote the pick to that position when we need so much offensive help.

hooshoops
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
thats a nice mock but i don't think you can trade down that far and still get decastro...i also think when its all said and done you can't get fleener there either...orson charles in the 5th seems awfully late to me...fleener and charles will test well and their stock will rise

3rdandinches
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
1. David Decastro OG

Trade down in the 1st with Cincinnati or Chicago- Cedric Benson is pushing 30 and Matt Forte blew out his knee. Trent Richardson is a stud who I would seriously consider for us if not for Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. This is a play for an absolute stud at a need position, bottom line. Granted, trading down is easier said than done.

2a. Brandon Weeden QB

Intriguing, controversial player who I think is just that good. Might be a target for the Jets in the 1st round with Sanchez failing (they might very well make a play for Peyton Manning) or Cleveland/Washington in the 2nd rd before our pick, especially with the Skins coaching in the Senior Bowl, where I expect Weeden to shine. He's simply that good, in my opinion.

2b. Coby Fleener TE

He's the guy imo, the TE with size, speed and craftiness at a position where we need all of those qualities. pretty good blocker from what i've seen, too. good compliment to Fasano.

3. Joe Adams WR/KR

I know very little about this guy, having just heard of him during the Cotton Bowl, but his talent is undeniable imo from what I saw. Just what the doctor ordered for our special teams and speed/quikness at WR.

5. Orson Charles TE

This might be somewhat of a redundancy with Charles Clay on the roster, but I'll take that chance. Questionable blocking and a bit undersized, but quite an athlete who can provide mismatches against linebackers and safeties.

6. Brandon Mosely OT

Quality RT candidate- I'm tired of the Cowboys reject squad, and despite 3 1st rd picks on the oline, we need help there. Colombo's crapitude speaks for itself, and Carey is fading. I'd prefer Matt Reynolds, but imo he'll be gone before this pick.

7. Russell Wilson RB

He's just too damn good to ignore and will fall due to his lack of height. This is a very talented player, bottom line.

Obvioulsy I bypassed defensive help- time to strengthen the O in my opinion. Jimmy Wilson and Reshad Jones helped to strengthen the secondary and if Misi can't get it done opposite Cameron Wake, hopefully we can find a good pass rushing OLB in FA. Misi is the biggest problem- I'd rather give him another shot and target OLB in FA than devote the pick to that position when we need so much offensive help.

I'd take it in a heart beat!

jim1
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
thats a nice mock but i don't think you can trade down that far and still get decastro...i also think when its all said and done you can't get fleener there either...orson charles in the 5th seems awfully late to me...fleener and charles will test well and their stock will rise

It is a bit aggressive. I would be concerned with San Diego, Tennesse and Dallas taking DeCastro before the Bears/Bengals picks. Fleener seems reasonable in the 2nd imo, but he could very well be taken before my hypothetical pick there. Charles is one of those tweener types who might fall, but granted the 5th round is optimistic. I don't think he even declared yet anyway. Joe Adams wasn't even on my radar until I heard mention of him during the Cotton Bowl, but what little I saw of him after a bit of research blew me away, just what the doctor ordered for our O and ST.

hooshoops
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
i don't see fleener getting out of the top 50 after he tests and with all his measurables...not to mention the league is having so much success with these power forward sized te's these days...charles...yeah maybe...he's raw so you never know...i've got no problem with the joe adams pick and slot...and everything i'm reading is that everyone loves decastro...as in the league...so i think he's gonna go much sooner than some people think

Fin Thirteen
01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I've been thinking on pretty similar lines, ditto the small trade-down and pickup of DeCastro. Not sure we'll get a second for it, so I'm conservatively assuming it's a third

1. David DeCastro OG
2 Ryan Tannehill QB (Yes, he's a project, but he's proven that he's a fast learner - I don't believe the curve will be all that steep for him)
3a Duke Ihenacho S
3b Brian Quick WR (TE size and WR speed - could potentially line up in either place and is a serious endzone threat)

5. Jeff Allen OT
6. Rishard Matthews KR/PR (don't know too much about him but a lot of draftniks seem to rate him, incl Slimm I think)
7. Art Forst OG/OT

jim1
01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I've been thinking on pretty similar lines, ditto the small trade-down and pickup of DeCastro. Not sure we'll get a second for it, so I'm conservatively assuming it's a third

1. David DeCastro OG
2 Ryan Tannehill QB (Yes, he's a project, but he's proven that he's a fast learner - I don't believe the curve will be all that steep for him)
3a Duke Ihenacho S
3b Brian Quick WR (TE size and WR speed - could potentially line up in either place and is a serious endzone threat)

5. Jeff Allen OT
6. Rishard Matthews KR/PR (don't know too much about him but a lot of draftniks seem to rate him, incl Slimm I think)
7. Art Forst OG/OT

I think that a trade down from 8 or 9 to 20-23 would warrant a 2nd rd pick- not nearly a Julio Jones type ransom, but it will do. It is absolutely questionable that DeCastro would last that long. The one QB besides Luck/Weeden who really grabbed my attention is Tyler Wilson- if he comes out he'll definitely be on my radar. I'm curious about Austin Davis, I like what little I've seen, but I don't know enough to really have an opinion. And Russell Wilson- Weeden gets knocked down because of age concerns, which is reasonable enough although I'd still take him. Wilson gets knocked down because of a lack of height- again, reasonable enough, but when I watch him he's just one heck of a player with height issues. That's really a shame, because otherwise I don't see much else not to like.

Fin Thirteen
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
The guy I really wanted to fit in was TE Ledarius (sp?) Green, but I think Quick gives you more versatility for the pick and could potentially be a hybrid player between WR and TE. Between him and Clay, you could have WR, FB and TE2 covered.

If Quick has a poor combine (which could happen apparently), then I'm definitely thinking Green for that pick.

I like Russell Wilson too, though I don't think there's room for another QB assuming we keep Devlin (which I think we should). I think if you're that size, you have to be playing regularly to get in tune with your receivers/TEs, because looking over a big NFL o-line you're going to have to use your instincts a fair bit. I doubt Wilson will be afforded that time in Miami.

datruth55
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I have a feeling Blackmon and Fleener will be the two first round picks of the Cleveland Browns.

hooshoops
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
if you're goin to trade from inside top 10 to #20 or so you better get at least the equivalent of a 2nd rounder for trading that far out...you're getting ripped off otherwise

hooshoops
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I have a feeling Blackmon and Fleener will be the two first round picks of the Cleveland Browns.

i have a feeling blackmon will be a ram...at pick #2

Roman529
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
7. Russell Wilson RB

Change Russell Wilson to a QB and you got it!!!! :chuckle: Looks like you hit all the areas of need.

jim1
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Change Russell Wilson to a QB and you got it!!!! :chuckle: Looks like you hit all the areas of need.

Sorry about the typo. I like Wilson quite a bit, but I would maybe swap him out for Austin Davis if I can find out more about him. I'd be really, really interested in Tyler Wilson if he comes out.

The Confessor
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I really really really like it, with the small exception of the Joe Adams in the 3rd pick.

I agree we need to spend most of the draft on the offensive side, and I would be happier than a Cheatriot in Jest with the first three picks, but I think it is absolutely PARAMOUNT we pick up another speed rusher opposite Cam-Wake.
There are LOTS of guys that will be there when we pick in the 3rd. Most of whom could come in and be productive from week 1.

jim1
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
The Bengals have the Raiders 1st rd pick (Carson Palmer) at #17, before San Diego but after Dallas. That's the pick that I was originally thinking about as per this mock, I knew that I forgot something. I think that we would have a reasonable shot at getting DeCastro at #17, but still far from a sure thing.

WaxOn WaxOff
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
All looks great except Wilson. He couldn't elevate NC State. Still, if I only gripe about a 7th rd dart throw, I'm really OK with it.

3rdandinches
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
LT- J.Long
LG- D.DeCastro
C- M.Pouncey
RG- R.Inconito
RT- J.Jerry/L.Murtha/N.Garner

Would be a great Oline for R.Bush/D.Thomas and whom ever the QB might be.

sinPHIN
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
would love to grab wilson late.
would not be upset at all with the first.
not a fan of weeden, would rather just surround moore or hopefully flynn with moore weapons.
love the fleener pick
get a passrusher with the 3rd

mmikel30
01-10-2012, 01:57 AM
How About this:

1. Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
2. Cordy Glenn G Georgia
3. Markelle Martin S OK ST

insom187
01-10-2012, 02:28 AM
I hate to see another OL taken by the fins in the first round but when I hear Decastro could be the next Steve Hutchinson its hard to pass up. Im very excited about the idea of pulling him into space with Bush behind him or Thomas running behind him and Pouncey right up the gut.

Elliott 1
01-10-2012, 02:32 AM
1. David DeCastro OG

2a. Brandon Weeden QB

2b. Coby Fleener TE

He's the guy imo, the TE with size, speed and craftiness at a position where we need all of those qualities. Pretty good blocker from what I've seen, too. Good compliment to Fasano.

3. Joe Adams WR/KR

5. Orson Charles TE

6. Brandon Mosely OT

7. Russell Wilson QB

I love the idea of trading down.

I love the idea of drafting Weeden in the 2nd. I think he would still be there in the late 2nd. I wouldn't try to wait until the third but I think he would be available anywhere in the late 2nd. I think we would be safe to trade down with the super bowl champ and still get him with the # 64

I like DeCastro but I can't see drafting a OG in the 1st round. Incognito is still under contract. Garner has played well at OG and Feinga may yet become solid. Also, if they draft or sign a RT, then the RG position would probably be Jerry's to lose. I could see taking a OG in the 3rd or even the late 2nd. Maybe Zeitler, who IMO may be better than DeCastro.

If what I am reading and hearing is correct, Fleener is going to blow up the combine and he has great film. He will go mid to late first high and and mid 2nd at the very lowest. Might be more realistic to take Fleener in the first after a later trade down or after trading down twice.

Joe Adams brings nothing that Edmund Gates doesn't. Joe Adams=Clyde Gates. If it's KR we want we can draft Jeff Demps in the 4th or 5th and have a backup for Bush at the same time.

I really hate the Orson Charles pick. Hate it!!! Wasted pick.

If you really want Russell Wilson you will have to take him way, way higher. He may be better in the long run than RG. His stats are among the best in the nation, especially for a run first offense. The only strike against Wilson is he is 5'11". He excells in every aspect of the game. Great character,brilliant kid, very athletic, and a winner.

OT- I would rather see Tony Bergstrom in the 4th or Tom Compton in the 5th.

jim1
01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Joe Adams = Clyde Gates is an oversimplification of their respective qualities, at least from what I've seen of both of them. Gates isn't even in the same zip code as far as quickness based on what I've seen. I took an immediate liking to Adams, but I need to see more. As a starting point, some of what he's done has been stellar- combine those individual efforts with him being a productive receiver and the SEC special teams player of the year and you've got a prospect on your hands. This dude has chunk yards written all over him.

Good to see Tyler Wilson in that bowl game- everything just seems to click when I've seen him play, very talented prospect.

hooshoops
01-16-2012, 02:01 AM
sucks that tyler wilson went back to school...i was hoping to see him on the board with our high 2nd round pick...no dice