PDA

View Full Version : Drafting RGIII

NewCoachPlease
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Is there anyone appose to drafting RGIII in the first? I am not talking about what we have to give up or anything like that, just a question on if anyone doesn't think RGIII would be a good pick. I am more interested in the opinion of the people who study this stuff here.

NRA
01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
ME!

he comes from the worst kind of offense you can have to go into the pros.

its a 1 read spread offense. and rg3 has almost NO experiance under center.

in these type of offenses, if your first read isnt there, its basically sand lot ball, do whatever. there a bit more to it, but not much. in the nfl you have super pressure defenses and you have to be able to do multiple reads, FAST, and rg3 is way, way behind developing those skills. as far behind as you can get. and there are many, many smart guys with 9,000 point gpa's who are washing cars right now. smarts dont always translate into greatness. terry bradshaw? dumb as a stump. dan marino? horrible wonderlic. the list goes on........

and this is why these types of college offenses produce these running qb's, they have 1 read and they are not trained to do much after it breaks down so, they run!

rg3, expecially for a team like us, is the most risky pic a team can make. he is NOT cam newton, and the panthers used a whole lot of his college offense to get him going, but teams started thwarting that after game 3. lots of yards, not wins. and thats with a special talent like cam. rg3 was a special COLLEGE qb, but his transition to the pros looks dismal to me.

so, rg3, who is from a one read, take off and run offense, no experiance under center or with multiple reads is coming in here and puting matt moore on the bench? no, no, and........ NO!!

so all these folks seeing rg3 kicking arse and taking names in camp and sending matt moore home to momma are in for a long, sad season. a very dissapointing one. and if we give it up for him and he flops or doesnt get on the field for 4 years, you can stick a fork in this franchise.

not worth the risk. look at the facts of rg3 and not the spread offense college glitz and you will end up agreeing with me [and many others].

SF Dolphin Fan
01-15-2012, 02:46 PM
I would love to have Robert Griffin III. I know he didn't run a pro offense, but when called upon he made pro caliber throws. The across his body bomb at the end of the Oklahoma game was a thing of beauty and reminicent (sp) of John Elway. His deep arm accuracy is amazing, he's a tremendous athlete and a leader. Also, in Miami he could sit for a year behind Matt Moore and wouldn't need to be rushed.

J Tes
01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
No. I think we're all very much against possibly drafting a franchise QB. I think we're all hoping to draft another O-lineman

ChrisHanson
01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
ME!

in these type of offenses, if your first read isnt there, its basically sand lot ball, do whatever. there a bit more to it, but not much. in the nfl you have super pressure defenses and you have to be able to do multiple reads, FAST, and rg3 is way, way behind developing those skills. as far behind as you can get. and there are many, many smart guys with 9,000 point gpa's who are washing cars right now. smarts dont always translate into greatness. terry bradshaw? dumb as a stump. dan marino? horrible wonderlic. the list goes on........

and this is why these types of college offenses produce these running qb's, they have 1 read and they are not trained to do much after it breaks down so, they run!

rg3, expecially for a team like us, is the most risky pic a team can make. he is NOT cam newton, and the panthers used a whole lot of his college offense to get him going, but teams started thwarting that after game 3. lots of yards, not wins. and thats with a special talent like cam. rg3 was a special COLLEGE qb, but his transition to the pros looks dismal to me.

so, rg3, who is from a one read, take off and run offense, no experiance under center or with multiple reads is coming in here and puting matt moore on the bench? no, no, and........ NO!!

so all these folks seeing rg3 kicking arse and taking names in camp and sending matt moore home to momma are in for a long, sad season. a very dissapointing one. and if we give it up for him and he flops or doesnt get on the field for 4 years, you can stick a fork in this franchise.

not worth the risk. look at the facts of rg3 and not the spread offense college glitz and you will end up agreeing with me [and many others].

Newton came from the spread too. And RG3 makes Newton look like a retard in the brains department.

Ricky4Life
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I have not watched a ton on him, but it looks like he will be our choice from the way it looks if we are TRUELY, looking to trade up. Can't say I am for or against it, but more that I am going to just accept it if it happens.

Roman529
01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I am not opposed to it, but it depends on how much we would have to give up in return to get him. I think it might be a better option to pursue Matt Flynn as this would only cost us $$$ and not draft picks.

Valandui
01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Newton came from the spread too. And RG3 makes Newton look like a retard in the brains department.
Newton is also bigger, stronger, a more elusive runner, and a significantly more polished passer.

Dolfansal
01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I thought RGIII was also an olympic level track athlete. I would say he is more elusive than cam.

Valandui
01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
I thought RGIII was also an olympic level track athlete. I would say he is more elusive than cam.
Faster, definitely. More elusive, probably not.

finfan54
01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
character, smarts, accuracy, fast, pocket first passer. anything he is diffecient in, he can be coached up. this aint no ryan leaf.

Fin_Frenzy_84
01-19-2012, 11:44 PM
ME!

this is why these types of college offenses produce these running qb's, they have 1 read and they are not trained to do much after it breaks down so, they run!

not worth the risk. look at the facts of rg3 and not the spread offense college glitz and you will end up agreeing with me [and many others]. Thats what everyone said bout newton!

Valandui
01-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Thats what everyone said bout newton!
Except Newton is 6'5", 250 lbs, significantly more polished as a passer, a more elusive runner, and significantly stronger.

clutch23
01-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Except Newton is 6'5", 250 lbs, significantly more polished as a passer, a more elusive runner, and significantly stronger.

I call BS. Ive watched Newton since he was a frosh at UF. Hes not nearly as polished a passer, not nearly as elusive. The ONLY thing Cam has over RG3 is size. Griffin is smarter, faster, better arm, better ball placement, better leader, and a better work ethic. This kid will be a top 5 Qb in a few years.......hopefully in Miami.

PS, I love Cam Newton, think hes going to be elite as well. RG3 is a better pro prospect, though. I think when all is said and done RG3 may be the best minority QB ever.

j-off-her-doll
01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I call BS. Ive watched Newton since he was a frosh at UF. Hes not nearly as polished a passer, not nearly as elusive. The ONLY thing Cam has over RG3 is size. Griffin is smarter, faster, better arm, better ball placement, better leader, and a better work ethic. This kid will be a top 5 Qb in a few years.......hopefully in Miami.

PS, I love Cam Newton, think hes going to be elite as well. RG3 is a better pro prospect, though. I think when all is said and done RG3 may be the best minority QB ever.

If you've watched all of that and come away with those conclusions, you have an issue with your eyes or your brain. Might want look into that.

Awsi Dooger
01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't want him early in round one. I detailed the reasons at length in the Tannehill vs. Griffin thread a couple of night ago.

For one thing, I'm always opposed to drafting someone in a premier spot if he had played regularly and was a known quantity, yet was not rated super blue chip prior to his final season. That's a flawed approach and guaranteed to backfire in high percentage, similar to handicappers who put too much weight in the most recent outcome, and expect a rerun on Sunday.

Losing every game for Andrew Luck was a worthwhile astute investment. I'll always believe that and wouldn't have been opposed at all. Go look at the preseason evaluations of Luck, compared to similar for Griffin. I posted a link to a preseason breakdown of Griffin in the other thread. The truth will fall somewhere between where Griffin was rated five months ago, and the ridiculous hoopla of today. Luck, meanwhile, has virtually no flaws. Maybe he needs more velocity on his midrange sideline throws instead of guiding them too much. That's the only concern I detected with regularity. He'll quickly grasp the quickened pace of the NFL and put 5-10% more zip when needed.

The comparisons of Griffin to Cam Newton are ludicrous. Newton played one season and stood out as a freak in a superior conference, particularly late season once you got to the Georgia game. With a title berth at stake he later overcame a 24-0 deficit on the road against an arch rival flooded with pro talent, then destroyed a very good South Carolina team at a neutral site in a conference champion game. There's nothing remotely similar in Griffin's resume, playing in a video game conference and with almost zero success away from Baylor's home field.

To this day, only a handful of NFL teams have taken more than 50% snaps away from center. That's another adjustment Griffin will have to make and his leggy stride is not nearly as adaptable as Newton, IMO. For all his Olympic caliber hype, Griffin can look remarkably ordinary when asked to elude tacklers. His pocket presence is troubling, to say the least. Instead of nimbly sidestepping while moving forward, the guy panics and takes off sideways, losing track of the field while concerned with self preservation.

Beyond anything else, my instinct is Griffin is simply not a resilient mentally tough type who can withstand NFL battering, scrutiny and adversity. I think he's a wonderful investment to sell tickets, but not to threaten championships. The guy had a reputation for flopping around on the field when things were not going well, often mocked by opposing fan bases. Oklahoma State fans are still in disbelief he won the Heisman, after how that game unfolded this season, and how Griffin acted when the score mounted against him. I distinctly remember Griffin's pathetic comments after two losses to Connecticut.

At a high profile program those examples and characteristics would have been well known. At Baylor it's like he used his nickname and a handful of games to pull a Rosie Ruiz.

Ed Norton
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Newton probably isn't too good with the books but he is street smart. He can make a lot of quick, common sense decisions.

WelcomeBack
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Awsi Dooger wins.

clutch23
01-20-2012, 04:44 PM
If you've watched all of that and come away with those conclusions, you have an issue with your eyes or your brain. Might want look into that.

Really? You have to do better then just insult my eyes, bud. Come with some facts, some video, something. I'm a die hard Gator fan. I followed Newton through JuCo and on to AU. He was a man amongst boys due to his size/speed ratio. His questions at last years draft were intelligence/accuracy/maturity/system. None of these are issues with RG3 other than the system.

Aside from his ability as a passer, RG3 has the mobility to make plays out of the pocket, extend plays with his legs (if you watch the game winner vs OU, you'll see him elude the rush, plant and throw his WR open 45 yards away), which will help to mask some of the holes we STILL have on the OL. If we're seriously going to make a run at an elite QB, this is the kids I want.

finfan54
01-21-2012, 10:24 PM
can one imagine RG3 dumping off to Reggie Bush as RG3 takes off running? tough to cover.