PDA

View Full Version : QB B.J. Coleman best at East-West Shrine

NorFlaFin
01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Check out the tweets at the end of the article.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/16/2712078/east-west-shrine-game-2012-qb-b-j-coleman-shines-on-day-1 (http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/1/16/2712078/east-west-shrine-game-2012-qb-b-j-coleman-shines-on-day-1)

DKphin
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
BJ Coleman is one of my sleepers in this draft.

footsteps_falco
01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
any info on him?

sinPHIN
01-17-2012, 01:00 AM
seems like this years delvin, but with a stronger arm

ckparrothead
01-17-2012, 01:21 AM
To each his own, but I was at both practices and I question what exactly a person values in a quarterback if he thinks B.J. Coleman was the best quarterback in both practices today.

I'm not saying that Coleman won't END UP the best pro. Nor am I saying he didn't show potential in the way he throws the ball. But to say that he PERFORMED the best today is actually just factually wrong, not even a matter of opinion.

DKphin
01-17-2012, 01:35 AM
To each his own, but I was at both practices and I question what exactly a person values in a quarterback if he thinks B.J. Coleman was the best quarterback in both practices today.

I'm not saying that Coleman won't END UP the best pro. Nor am I saying he didn't show potential in the way he throws the ball. But to say that he PERFORMED the best today is actually just factually wrong, not even a matter of opinion.When I said that he was a sleeper, I meant that he had a good chance to make a roster. What he does after that, who knows?

TedSlimmJr
01-17-2012, 02:00 AM
I think you have to evaluate kids like B.J. Coleman as backups in the NFL and go from there. You can't examine them under the same microscope that you do top prospects in big time D-1 football. The talent around him simply isn't adequate enough.

Now, I'm going to contradict myself and say that his performances when given a chance to go up against big time D-1 teams, carries a lot of weight for me personally. I want to see what he's made of. Throw stats out the window. I want to see what's inside the kid when faced with that type of challenge.

The first question you have to ask yourself about a kid like Coleman is whether or not he passes the eyeball test. Does he have the right combination of frame and physical attributes to project as being able to make a roster in the NFL. In Coleman's case, the answers are yes and yes.

I watched Coleman be completely overwhelmed against Bama's defense a couple of years ago as a sophomore. There's no sense in even having that game as part of the discussion.

However, I was very impressed with his performance last year against Auburn's defense. I thought he managed the game well, and even allowed his physical talent to shine here and there against a team that his own was completely outmatched against.

All you can ask for out of a QB coming from UT-Chattanooga is the raw skills to get your hands on as a QB coach and develope with reps and coaching. Identify certain intangibles and toughness within the kid that make you feel good about him.... even if it's on your practice squad to start out.

There is no downside for kids like B.J. Coleman. It's literally all upside.... and you can get it for nothing if your front office isn't too stubborn.

Mudder1310
01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
There's nothing compelling about his college career numbers. His senior year he had a career high 60% completions, hurt his throwing shoulder (missing 3 games), 1500+ yards for 9tds, all against mediocre competition. I could see a late pick, 6th rd, but better would be as an undrafted FA.

SMadison29
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm not saying that Coleman won't END UP the best pro. Nor am I saying he didn't show potential in the way he throws the ball. But to say that he PERFORMED the best today is actually just factually wrong, not even a matter of opinion.

The list of Shrine Bowl QBs is very unimpressive (Coleman, Harnish, Brantley, Davis, Persa, Hanson), only two at most will be drafted. Who performed the best today CK?

ckparrothead
01-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Was not able to attend East practice this morning. Heard Coleman was up and down, more eye-of-the-beholder stuff.

Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting has been a fan of Coleman's and while he admitted that Coleman struggled yesterday, today he says Coleman has improved. He's not a fan of any of the other QBs including Harnish.

But Michael Schottey of Bleacher Report doesn't seem to have a dog in the race and he noted Coleman's problems with inaccuracy yesterday, and continued to express frustration with him this morning.

West practice starts in 30 minutes and I'm hoping to be there.

finfan54
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
practice? is that what were talkin bout? PRACTICE????

Roman529
01-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Tyler Hansen, QB of my CU Buffs, did me proud today. Hansen was stuck behind the coach Dan Hawkin's son at CU....glad Hawkins was fired.

footsteps_falco
03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
been doing my research and watching a lot of coleman, he's my favorite developmental QB right now, him cousins foles and wilson are all guys i would be stoked with in round 4ish

ckparrothead
03-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Coleman was one of those guys at Shrine practice that got better as the week progressed and by game day I felt like he was killing it. Impressive performance all in all. Rocky on the first day but the first day does not make your week.

TedSlimmJr
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
He's ahead of Cousins, Foles, Wilson, and Osweiler on my QB board.