PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Tannehill still climbing boards despite injury

datruth55
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
- To follow up on our post on Twitter from this morning, late yesterday afternoon I was given word that Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who’s been soaring up draft boards, suffered a foot injury that will keep him out of the Senior Bowl, which starts in less than two weeks. Further investigation this morning revealed that the injury occurred while Tannehill was training in Bradenton, Florida. It was described as a fluke injury in which the senior signal caller was participating in a simple passing drill. The severity of the injury has been described to me in a variety of ways but will be left as “significant” until further clarification.

Why is Tannehill making such a bounce up draft boards in recent weeks? One trusted source told me teams are eating up the quarterbacks upside potential and described it as “the love affair factor”- teams see what Tannehill can develop into at the next level and can’t stay away. His athleticism, mobility, toughness and decision making all has scouts giddy. With Cam Newton, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder coming off the board so early in the 2011 NFL Draft, teams now feel they have the green light to select someone such as Tannehill earlier than most anticipate. Sources are saying don’t be shocked if the Texas A&M product ends up as a top 15 choice, depending on the injury.
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5606

The "significant" injury part would have me a bit worried.

The Confessor
01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Good, maybe he will climb all the way up to a top 5 pick and push some serious talent our way :up:

datruth55
01-16-2012, 08:43 PM
This draft doesn't strike me as QB hungry as the last draft. You never know though.

Tiko377
01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
hes a interesting prospect i wouldn't mind picking him at no.9 if he's healthy he's mobile has a good arm and seems like a good kid.

JRoX85
01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
He is a gamer, he kid played very well last year and brought his team back numerous times to win. He has a ton of upside, but needs a lot of work on decision making.

PJack
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
If we take him at 9 it would be 20 if not 30 picks early especially given the injury. He's athletic, but hasn't proved he's elite (ie top 10 in the draft) by any means. Not very consistent and did not show up big in many of the bigger games he played in. It's possible he can turn out to be good, but I haven't seen anything yet that says he's worth our early first round pick.

Wildbill3
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
If we take him at 9 it would be 20 if not 30 picks early especially given the injury. He's athletic, but hasn't proved he's elite (ie top 10 in the draft) by any means. Not very consistent and did not show up big in many of the bigger games he played in. It's possible he can turn out to be good, but I haven't seen anything yet that says he's worth our early first round pick.here's the knock on that thinking... if you think a guy is the future of the franchise, you draft him early.

datruth55
01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
If we take him at 9 it would be 20 if not 30 picks early especially given the injury. He's athletic, but hasn't proved he's elite (ie top 10 in the draft) by any means. Not very consistent and did not show up big in many of the bigger games he played in. It's possible he can turn out to be good, but I haven't seen anything yet that says he's worth our early first round pick.
Hard to argue that. 12 of his 15 INTs came against the 6 ranked opponents they played this year, he threw 15 TDs in those same games.

He's a project as is every QB in this draft outside of Andrew Luck but he does have great size (6'4" 222 lbs), he's very athletic and he has a lot of upside. It would depend on the coaching staff, and by that I mean one with a track record of developing QBs (that's not McCoy or Bowles), whether it would be worth the investment of drafting him. I would definitely sit him for a year at least before giving him a shot.

Ricky4Life
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
here's the knock on that thinking... if you think a guy is the future of the franchise, you draft him early.

I have to agree with you there. I am hoping it is either 'Hill or Foles.

DudeleBroski
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Id be excited with Tannehill as the pick, preferably in a trade down. Sure he needs to sit awhile and work on decision making (who chooses to be an aggie?) But I like his size and upside.

Roman529
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I think the main reason he is talked about as being a player who is "moving up the board," is because you have a lot of garbage at QB after Luck and RG3. Weeden is possibly the only other guy (besides Luck and RG3) in this upcoming draft who won't be a backup QB holding a clipboard for the next five years. I like Tannehill.... but not in the first round.

Generic Name
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
here's the knock on that thinking... if you think a guy is the future of the franchise, you draft him early.

Agreed and he shouldn't have to play early in 2012, let him heal fully and take a year or so to learn the offense and the game. I'd much rather take him at #9 than a right tackle

Aqua and Orange
01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Yay! Another QB with great upside potential! Cue us all getting our hopes up and our team simply drafting O-linemen and D-linemen this draft. :puke:

The Confessor
01-19-2012, 07:52 PM
I have to agree with you there. I am hoping it is either 'Hill or Foles.

You're saying you would pick Foles with the #9 overall?

That wouldn't be taking him 10-20 picks too early, it would be taking him 2-3 rounds too early.....