PDA

View Full Version : Right Tackle would be insane

Generic Name
01-17-2012, 12:06 PM
If you wanted to take David DeCastro and tell me he is good enough to play three spots on the line and could even spell Long in a pinch and would be a dominant in-line blocker, OK, I could see that. I don't think its the best use of the #8 overall but hey, if they needed him to play RG or RT, I"m pretty sure he'd be damn good at both.

Riley Rieff would be a waste of a pick, imo. When was the last time an Iowa OL dominated? You need a guy at this pick who is an impact player and potential All-Pro. Preferably you want a guy who can make game changing plays. why are we even including a guy who is almost strictly a RT in this discussion?

Mudder1310
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
The only sure thing OL in this draft is Khalil. I like DeCastro but agree you could move down and get as good an O lineman. I'm leaning toward moving down in the draft to add some talent. We need it in plenty of areas.

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
The way John Jerry played last year at LT I dont see how we draft a RT. Jerry looks like he will be the starting RT imo..Guard is going to the big question mark...as it has been the last few years...Richie will be back but Vernon is a free agent..If Carl Nicks is priced out of our market I could see us resigning Carey...If we somehow get Pete Carmichael( Rumored to be interivew by Miami) I think Nicks would be our main target... If we draft a RT I would be absolutley stunned. I really feel Miami is gonna draft a skill posisiton player.

3rdandinches
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Signing C.Nicks or B.Grubbs solves our LG position and there is no more need to invest in the Oline. R.Incognito moves over to RG and J.Jerry, L.Murtha and N.Garner battle it out for the RT.

If we find it too expensive to sign a LG in FA then D.DeCastro becomes a strong possibility n the 1st round to the dismay of many.

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Signing C.Nicks or B.Grubbs solves our LG position and there is no more need to invest in the Oline. R.Incognito moves over to RG and J.Jerry, L.Murtha and N.Garner battle it out for the RT.

If we find it too expensive to sign a LG in FA then D.DeCastro becomes a strong possibility n the 1st round to the dismay of many.

We are picking 8th? You really think were gonna pick a guard that high? If Miami reaches on another interior lineman I would be upset.

Generic Name
01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
We are picking 8th? You really think were gonna pick a guard that high? If Miami reaches on another interior lineman I would be upset.

we won't know until the coin flip but I figure something has to go Miami's way this month.

I think its a bad spot for a guard or tackle unless there are no playmakers at LB or WR on the board which I find hard to believe.

I could see trading down but Tannehill (even with the broken foot and the strong chance of the redshirt rookie year) could go anywhere from Buffalo at 10 or Seattle, Denver etc. how far down can you trade?

If I'm Miami, I'm strongly looking at Upshaw with first pick, especially if they stay 3-4.

3rdandinches
01-17-2012, 01:53 PM

I have zero idea what their going to do especially when there is no head coach yet. DeCastro is a special player and we happen to need his position filled.

Hiring a coach and Free agency will tell us a lot about the direction the draft will take.

I for one want Nicks or Grubbs and a pass rusher with our first pick,but if RG3 falls to us then I would be happy to go that route too. I know nothing on Tannehill at the moment. Claibourne, Blackmon, Richardson, RG3, Luck will be gone and I do not want to trade up unless it's for Luck. I do not have the same opinion on the OL... I would love to finally get it fixed and if DeCastro is the selection then I will be happy with it.

Tunaphish429
01-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I have zero idea what their going to do especially when there is no head coach yet. DeCastro is a special player and we happen to need his position filled.

Hiring a coach and Free agency will tell us a lot about the direction the draft will take.

I for one want Nicks or Grubbs and a pass rusher with our first pick,but if RG3 falls to us then I would be happy to go that route too. I know nothing on Tannehill at the moment. Claibourne, Blackmon, Richardson, RG3, Luck will be gone and I do not want to trade up unless it's for Luck. I do not have the same opinion on the OL... I would love to finally get it fixed and if DeCastro is the selection then I will be happy with it.

Very true..I think this board would erupt if we draft another linemen that high. Most erupted last year with Pouncey and I that pick was justified.

Hayden Fox
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
No way they draft a RT...even though I do not see a ton of solutions outside of kicking John Jerry to RT and Murtha is the back up, flip OT.

SMadison29
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Since QB is out of the question, the pick has to be a pass rusher, WR, or CB if we don't trade down. There will be a lot of good right side olineman in the second & third rounds.

kcbrown
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Best player available or trade the house for RGIII.

If we do go BPA - it will probably be a linebacker or corner.

utahphinsfan
01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
No way they draft a RT...even though I do not see a ton of solutions outside of kicking John Jerry to RT and Murtha is the back up, flip OT.

Or, Garner @ RT, Zeitler (draft Pick at RG), & Jerry @ LG. Keeping Carey & Down Incognito as back.

p.s. Would the negativity toward Ireland cease if he traded Columbo to the jest for a 4th rounder?

RonnieB23
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I really don't see a RT being the pick there, but DeCastro would make more sense here. As i mentionned in another thread, I do think that a combination of him an Pouncey would make a terrific pulling combo, and givin that Bush is a good screen RB, I think this would make sense.

KingDolphin57
01-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Great were going to throw screens all the way to the superbowl.

DaDolfan25
01-21-2012, 04:58 AM
If you wanted to take David DeCastro and tell me he is good enough to play three spots on the line and could even spell Long in a pinch and would be a dominant in-line blocker, OK, I could see that. I don't think its the best use of the #8 overall but hey, if they needed him to play RG or RT, I"m pretty sure he'd be damn good at both.

Riley Rieff would be a waste of a pick, imo. When was the last time an Iowa OL dominated? You need a guy at this pick who is an impact player and potential All-Pro. Preferably you want a guy who can make game changing plays. why are we even including a guy who is almost strictly a RT in this discussion?

Eric Steinbach

kloud_9
01-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Joe philbin made 1st rounders out of Iowa lineman steinbach n gallery..so yeaaaah..reiff may be our pick

Valandui
01-21-2012, 07:10 AM
An OL consisting of LT: Long, LG: DeCastro, C: Pouncey, RG: Incognito/Garner, RT: Jerry/Garner would be absolutely insane.

KingDolphin57
01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Joe philbin made 1st rounders out of Iowa lineman steinbach n gallery..so yeaaaah..reiff may be our pickAll I heard during his presser was Iowa so you could be right.

Kdawg954
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Yea I'm not taking a non LT top 10 . . . what a waste and needs to stopped being talked about.

Take the best impact player at a skill position. QB, pass rusher, RB, pass catcher or DB. Drafting an OLineman at 8/9 is straight reaching for need and Miami is not in a position to do that.

I'm not drafting Decastro over Richardson/Blackmon at 9, don't care if OG seems like a bigger need on paper.

Roman529
01-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Sign Carl Nicks and we are good to go.

Kistner10
01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't think taking a RT in the top 10 is a waste. Not anymore with the rookie wage scale. At this point would I want to spend a top 10 pick on a RT? No, but that could change given what occurs in free agency. The draft is a long ways away, so I don't think anyone should be closing the door on what prospects we should be looking at.

finfan54
01-21-2012, 10:16 PM
I really don't see a RT being the pick there, but DeCastro would make more sense here. As i mentionned in another thread, I do think that a combination of him an Pouncey would make a terrific pulling combo, and givin that Bush is a good screen RB, I think this would make sense.

Decastro = Hutshinson?

If a guy is a perrenial pro bowler type, it can never be too high a pick for a G. Particularly when it is a position of need.

Philbin is now HC. He requires high character and smart players. DEcastro fits this mold IMO.

I still have high hopes for RG3 though. Once you get your franchise QB, got to protect your investment.

Kistner10
01-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Decastro = Hutshinson?

If a guy is a perrenial pro bowler type, it can never be too high a pick for a G. Particularly when it is a position of need.

Philbin is now HC. He requires high character and smart players. DEcastro fits this mold IMO.

I still have high hopes for RG3 though. Once you get your franchise QB, got to protect your investment.

I agree.

QB comes first. It just depends on what Philbin thinks of our QB situation. Does he think Matt Moore can get it done?? Can he get Matt Flynn?? What would it cost to get RGIII?

A lot of questions yet to be answered. The best news of the Philbin hire is that I'm actually excited for what the dolphins do this offseason. We could be major players in the free agent market or we could load up on the draft and I'll be equally excited for the players we bring in.

Gonna be a fun offseason.

RonnieB23
01-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I believe it is obvious that we will go the Flynn way. I wasn't all for that before the Philbin, but now that he's here I think the chance that Flynn actually end up here and succed are greater. it would also make us a better team that if we throw the farm at STL for RGIII. Flynn + full draft this year and Next or RGIII minus 2 x 1 rounders, 1 X 2nd, 1 X 3rd (more or less). We're not just a QB short of the SB.

jonanthans
01-22-2012, 05:28 PM

You cannot grade players simply because a dominant player hasnt came out of their University in a long while. Considering it has been almost 30 years since a dominant Qb came from Stanford, I guess Luck will be there when we are picking, huh? Not saying I want to draft Rieff with our 1st round pick, but you do not make that assessment of him using that criteria. Also, GB would disagree with you, considering they jumped all over Brian Bulaga last season in the first round.

BassFin
01-23-2012, 07:25 AM
I think the fact that Philbin was an o line coach will help us a lot. I don't see us taking an o lineman if we stay at our spot. But if we trade down, its not a bad idea to take decastro. He could make the line dominant. I know a lot of people hate the idea of taking a lineman in the 1st but a solid line makes everything else on offense so much easier.