PDA

View Full Version : Browns GM Willing to Trade out #4 Pick

NYPhin24
01-17-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/12/cleveland_browns_gm_tom_hecker_7.html

Above all else, Heckert said he is convinced he did the right thing by making that mega-deal with the Atlanta Falcons on draft day in April.

Essentially, Heckert passed up receiver Julio Jones and wound up with defensive tackle Phil Taylor, receiver Greg Little, fullback Owen Marecic and Atlanta's first- and sixth-round picks in the coming draft. Heckert also gave up his third-round pick to move up and select Taylor at No. 21 overall.

"I'd do it again tomorrow," Heckert said. "And Julio's a great player. We love Julio Jones. That never was an issue. Now, obviously we have to do something with the picks (we got)."

ESPN AFC North Blog

"If we think we can get the same guy by moving down a few spots getting an extra pick or picks, why not do that?"
-Browns GM Tom Heckert

3rdandinches
01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/12/cleveland_browns_gm_tom_hecker_7.html

Above all else, Heckert said he is convinced he did the right thing by making that mega-deal with the Atlanta Falcons on draft day in April.

Essentially, Heckert passed up receiver Julio Jones and wound up with defensive tackle Phil Taylor, receiver Greg Little, fullback Owen Marecic and Atlanta's first- and sixth-round picks in the coming draft. Heckert also gave up his third-round pick to move up and select Taylor at No. 21 overall.

"I'd do it again tomorrow," Heckert said. "And Julio's a great player. We love Julio Jones. That never was an issue. Now, obviously we have to do something with the picks (we got)."

ESPN AFC North Blog

"If we think we can get the same guy by moving down a few spots getting an extra pick or picks, why not do that?"
-Browns GM Tom Heckert

Never too early for a smokescreen, hopefully there is some legitimacy to this

Why is this a smoke screen? I would think it's a smart way to generate interest and do the NE way of drafting....trade back and trade back some more.

J. David Wannyheimer
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't think RG3 will be there at #4. Mike Shanahan will be looking to trade up, I think.

NYPhin24
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Why is this a smoke screen? I would think it's a smart way to generate interest and do the NE way of drafting....trade back and trade back some more.

I did not say it was a smokescreen, i mentioned it as a possiblity, least important thing in the post, ill take it out

foozool13
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Luck or RG3 wont be there at #4...so who cares. There is no other player we should trade up for.

3rdandinches
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Just wondering!

vagrantprodigy
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I still think they are more likely to trade up than trade down. They need a QB badly, and unless they are sold on one of the late first round guys, or think they can get Flynn, they need to trade up for RG3.

datruth55
I'm telling you they're targeting Trent Richardson and Coby Fleener with their two first round picks. If we win the coin toss and get the 8th pick and Ireland is convinced RGIII is the answer at QB this is where we should trade up...but I'm not for trading up for RGIII and I'll continue to say that cause I don't want any confusion as to where I stand, lol.

Still #4 might have Blackmon, Richardson, RGIII and/or Claiborne sitting there. I could see Blackmon possibly going to the Rams or Vikings but I can also see one of those teams taking Matt Kalil. But then with Fisher now in St. Louis they might take Claiborne rather than taking offense.

Tunaphish429
Throw out a line and see if you get any bites..

hooshoops
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
you see the bounty the browns got trading out from #6 to like #21 this last draft...expect them to expect a very large compensation package to trade out from #4 to #8-9... if someones coming up for rg3

if i was the browns gm though and i was targetting trent richardson with my top pick i'd feel pretty comfortable he'd still be on the board with the #8-9 pick

phin_23
01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/the-first-robert-griffin-to-browns-trade-rumor-emerges/

hooshoops
01-17-2012, 02:30 PM
the rams in a trade out of #2 with cleveland probably can still guarantee themselves one of blackmon or claiborne so my money is on the browns being the ones who win the trade up sweepstakes with the rams if there is in fact one...

Vaark
01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I can envision RGtres being off the board at 2 after Shanahan goes all in, but Jeff still packaging everything including the kitchen sink to trade up for Ryan Kalil :idk:

LANGER72
01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I would trade up to #4 to grab Blackmon. The guy is a difference maker. The price for moving up 4 picks shouldn't be that steep.

Having Blackmon would make any QB we put on the field better.

Marino had Duper and Clayton. Both had elite talent and helped Dan to be a geat player.

Marshall and Blackmon would be the type of move that would really help our offense more explosive. Flip him the ball and watch him run.

I would take a very serious look at that scenario.

Blustar
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree, I would definitely trade up for Blackmon, the guy is a stud. I'm still hoping there's a way we can trade up for RG3.

J. David Wannyheimer
01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Cleveland's got a lot of ammo to trade up with, I think if they want Griffin, he's theirs.

There's a real good chance that Ireland either has to overpay for Matt Flynn or just bite the bullet and draft a QB at #9. Who's the most likely? Tannehill?

perfect1
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
I cant wait till draft day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigNastyDB13
01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Cleveland's got a lot of ammo to trade up with, I think if they want Griffin, he's theirs.

There's a real good chance that Ireland either has to overpay for Matt Flynn or just bite the bullet and draft a QB at #9. Who's the most likely? Tannehill?

Taking Tannehill 8/9th overall would be a huge mistake. One I hope we don't make.

Kadiddlehopper
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
The Cleveland Browns (http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/cleveland-browns) want to select Baylor QB Robert Griffin III (http://www.kffl.com/player/25705/nfl/robert-griffin_iii) in the NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159) and are willing to move up to get him, according to league sources. The Browns (http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/cleveland-browns) have the ammo to get Griffin - the fourth overall pick and a late first-rounder or high picks in later rounds.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=766051-browns-want-to-draft-robert-griffin

JFoxx
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Basically, they are willing to listen to offers if they can get something like they did last year or better, but I wouldn't count on it, as the top guys likely will be gone by then and they need too much to start giving away picks to move up 2 spots. Sad that we are talking more about Cleveland's pick than our own. We're not even in play on this, so not really a Phin issue.

rainmaker1313
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
I would trade up to #4 to grab Blackmon. The guy is a difference maker. The price for moving up 4 picks shouldn't be that steep.

Having Blackmon would make any QB we put on the field better.

Marino had Duper and Clayton. Both had elite talent and helped Dan to be a geat player.

Marshall and Blackmon would be the type of move that would really help our offense more explosive. Flip him the ball and watch him run.

I would take a very serious look at that scenario.

maybe we can give them a 3rd and Fasano

Dont forget if we draft Fleener and along with Clay we have a Monstrous Offensive machine!!!

zach attach
01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm betting it's to move up for rg3. The Rams could do alot with those picks Cleveland is about to trade. They need help all around. That is, if Bradfords their guy.

NYPhin24
01-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm betting it's to move up for rg3. The Rams could do alot with those picks Cleveland is about to trade. They need help all around. That is, if Bradfords their guy.

Well according to FIsher Bradford was one of the reasons he chose the Rams so i would hope so

finfan54
01-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Jeff Fisher didnt just take that job to throw Bradford under the bus. So will Minny take RGIII? If not, then RGIII is there at 4. Ireland i have heard likes RGIII. Philbin anyone? looking for coaches who build young QB's.

Bumpus
01-17-2012, 11:53 PM
I can envision RGtres being off the board at 2 after Shanahan goes all in, but Jeff still packaging everything including the kitchen sink to trade up for Ryan Kalil :idk:

That's soooo not funny.

I'm actually developing a headache now thinking about it.

finfan54
01-17-2012, 11:57 PM
That's soooo not funny.

I'm actually developing a headache now thinking about it.

its not really that funny. Ireland hasnt ever traded up in the first round before. He did stay at 15 and draft a stud Center however.

utahphinsfan
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
I still think they are more likely to trade up than trade down. They need a QB badly, and unless they are sold on one of the late first round guys, or think they can get Flynn, they need to trade up for RG3.

Ill bet Flynn goes to Seattle. Why?

Seahawks need a QB, one of the Seattle powers that be was in GB when Flynn was drafted, Flynn could flourish in Pete Caroll's version of the WCO.

SMadison29
01-18-2012, 12:16 AM

The Browns have Atlanta's first & fourth round picks from last year's trade for Julio Jones. The extra sixth rounder they have is from Denver for Brady Quinn. It was a great trade, no brainer. If Griffin or Blackmon aren't there for them I'd trade back & target one of the other top WRs or Richardson.

TedSlimmJr
01-18-2012, 01:32 AM
If Heckert wants to trade down and still remain in the top 10 to "get the guy he wants", I think it's Trent Richardson.

The Browns need a quarterback, and if they were sold on Robert Griffin they'd just draft him.

utahphinsfan
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Jeff Fisher didnt just take that job to throw Bradford under the bus. So will Minny take RGIII? If not, then RGIII is there at 4. Ireland i have heard likes RGIII. Philbin anyone? looking for coaches who build young QB's.

If Minny takes RG3 then I would not mind Ponder or Joe Webb in S Fla