PDA

View Full Version : First Round Draft Prospect Stupidity Begins

SMadison29
01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/likely-first-round-pick-dre-kirkpatrick-arrested-for-marijuana-possession/

Zounds
01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
wow, he just lost millions. The Bengals wil probably still draft him though

datruth55
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Good news is he didn't test positive at the combine so the NFL can't suspend him.

tylerdolphin
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
How do people get arrested for possession? Keep your **** in your house man.

DudeleBroski
01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
this guy on our team with vontae and sean smith would be an awesome trio on the grass but off they would be 3 stooges like.

ckparrothead
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Good news is he didn't test positive at the combine so the NFL can't suspend him.

The NFL doesn't suspend players for testing positive at the Combine, anyway. But I would have to check the by-laws and everything because it's possible he could walk in already in the NFL's drug program, just by virtue of this arrest. Being in the program means increased testing and being closer to actually being suspended. If the arrest makes him eligible to be placed in the program as a rookie, then it would be virtually the same as having tested positive at the Combine.

WalterSobchak
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Obviously a moron, why take a chance when your this close to making millions????

Zounds
01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
If he tested positive at the combine, I wouldn't even draft him period. Testing positive at the combine shows a serious problem - that he's not just casually smoking weed. He knows the exact date and time of the test and still cant keep clean for a few weeks? I'd take him off my board completely. It shows he cant stop smoking.

datruth55
01-17-2012, 11:18 PM
The NFL doesn't suspend players for testing positive at the Combine, anyway. But I would have to check the by-laws and everything because it's possible he could walk in already in the NFL's drug program, just by virtue of this arrest. Being in the program means increased testing and being closer to actually being suspended. If the arrest makes him eligible to be placed in the program as a rookie, then it would be virtually the same as having tested positive at the Combine.

Didn't mean suspension but enter into the drug program. I think if they're caught before the combine they're not subject to the NFL's drug policy but since the combine is an NFL sponsored activity it would count against their time in the NFL. It would be the same as if they were in college and got busted.

Each NFL team receives a list of which Combine participants fail the mandatory Combine drug tests later in April. Any player who tests positive for “street drugs” is then subject to the NFL’s drug program and must submit to random testing.

TedSlimmJr
01-17-2012, 11:35 PM
According to Kirkpatrick, the marijuana wasn't his. He was with his friend and former teammate Chris Rogers (former Bama DB) and the marijuana belonged to Rogers. It was a small amount (7.9 grams), thus the misdemeanor and released for $120.

Kirkpatrick was charged with possession because of "constructive possession", in which anyone inside the vehicle is charged with possession no matter who claims it. Apparently, the two were pulled over for the vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road, and would've been given a ticket and went on about their business if not for a canine alerting the officer of the marijuana being present.

They'll ask him about it at the combine, and all he has to do is tell what happened. They'll tell him that if he does smoke, he can't do this from August to February and that's about it. I don't think it affects his stock much, if any. Kirkpatrick has no history of getting into trouble.

I think most teams are looking for a pattern of bad decision making. This was one instance of questionable decision making by Kirkpatrick.

75% of these kids all smoke marijuana. A draft wouldn't be allowed to take place if every kid that smoked weed was caught. Several players have tested positive at the combine and it didn't affect their draft status going all the way back to Warren Sapp, etc... and even before that.

I'm a little disappointed that it happened to him, and I hope he makes better decisions and avoids this in the future.

Get ready for the badmouthing to start so teams will hope he falls in their lap to snatch him up.

datruth55
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
That's always the story. Wasn't mine it was my friends...yeah, c'mon.

hooshoops
01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
i'm seeing a lot of top 10 momentum with kirkpatrick and that just seems rich to me...

tylerdolphin
01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
I dont even care about it at all as far as how I view him draft stock wise. It just makes me :bobdole: when people carry mary jane on them everywhere and get knocked for possession when its so easy to keep it in a drawer in your bedroom.

SMadison29
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
According to Kirkpatrick, the marijuana wasn't his. He was with his friend and former teammate Chris Rogers (former Bama DB) and the marijuana belonged to Rogers. It was a small amount (7.9 grams), thus the misdemeanor and released for $120.

Kirkpatrick was charged with possession because of "constructive possession", in which anyone inside the vehicle is charged with possession no matter who claims it. Apparently, the two were pulled over for the vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road, and would've been given a ticket and went on about their business if not for a canine alerting the officer of the marijuana being present.

Hmm, laws must differ state to state. In Maryland if someone doesn't claim it then everyone is charged.

TedSlimmJr
01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
That's always the story. Wasn't mine it was my friends...yeah, c'mon.

Absolutely, but that's not really the point either. Janoris Jenkins was arrested for possession of marijuana 3 times in the span of about a year. That's the type of pattern of bad decision making NFL teams are looking for. Yet you'll still see Jenkins 'mocked' in the 1st round of just about any mock draft you'll come across.... and for good reason.

There wasn't a bigger pothead in the NFL than Ricky Williams over the past decade.

TedSlimmJr
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Hmm, laws must differ state to state. In Maryland if someone doesn't claim it then everyone is charged.

Of course laws differ from state to state. Certain states don't honor my concealed weapons permit, some do.

Some states will let you unregister your tag and put it on another vehicle, some won't.

Apparently anything under 20 grams in the state of Florida where they were arrested is considered misdemeanor possession, and anyone inside the vehicle is charged with constructive possession.

hooshoops
01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
this is ot but i want to get in some real football heads on the subject...slimm and others whats you guys take on philbin mccoy and bowles the 3 finalist for the hc position???

ChambersWI
01-18-2012, 12:16 AM
this is ot but i want to get in some real football heads on the subject...slimm and others whats you guys take on philbin mccoy and bowles the 3 finalist for the hc position???

I don't count as a football head? :boohoo:

tylerdolphin
01-18-2012, 12:22 AM

I was hoping for Zimmer because he has proven to be able to work with the personnel he has and has the respect to fill out a solid staff. Now that hes off the table, I have no idea honestly. Philbin is somewhat intriguing, but I could be a successful OC is you give me Rodgers, Jennings, Finley, Nelson, ect. so Im not sure what to make of him. Plus he doesnt really call plays....

McCoy worries me because I am not sure he is connected enough to assemble a good staff. Plus he doesnt have any track record as a playcaller except this year with Tebow so that makes it damn near impossible to judge him in that area. I do like that he learned under McDaniels, but Im just not sold on him. He needs more time as an assistant.

Bowles is...just meh. A holdover from the old regime. Not a fan. He doesnt really look the part on the sidelines. Im worried that he has the same mindset as Sparano as well.

So yeah...if you make me pick one Ill take Philbin. None of them have me excited though. Ill give whoever they hire a shot to prove me wrong though.

TedSlimmJr
01-18-2012, 12:23 AM

Same as it always was. There's not an established head coach out there that's wants to hitch their reputation and success to Jeff Ireland.

That's why other than Jeff Fisher, I chose to focus on the category of potential candidates that would be willing to come to a dumpster fire like Miami. Assistant coaches with no head coaching experience.

Joe Philbin was the first name I ever mentioned back before Sparano was even fired. My exact words were...."Ross needs to get off his *** and go find the competent people that make up the infrastructure of winning organizations that 'get it'. Rather than throw a bunch of money at a flashy name just to sell tickets".

I think a hire of Philbin is worth a shot if he brings a guy like Tom Clements and the Packers system with him. Which is the only way a pursuit of Matt Flynn makes any sense to me. People that know what Matt Flynn is and aren't guessing.

I don't judge a coaching hire by the size of the ripples it creates. I want good coaches. Period.

hooshoops
01-18-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't count as a football head? :boohoo:

i never said that...plus i got your take on the main forum...you even started a go in with an open mind like thread that the eternal optimist are swallowing whole...good on ya

just wanted some other takes

hooshoops
01-18-2012, 12:32 AM
yeah slimm but philbin isn't he more of an oline guy...i don't know...i'm just strugglin with all of it...how bout mccoy slimm...or others...thoughts??? i just don't see outside of going to an o that fit tim tebow which anyone with a lick of sense knowing his limitations as a passer would do should make him a hot head coach candidate at this time...and bowles...hell he opened his mouth on the sideline less than jim caldwell...

ChambersWI
01-18-2012, 12:57 AM
i never said that...plus i got your take on the main forum...you even started a go in with an open mind like thread that the eternal optimist are swallowing whole...good on ya

just wanted some other takes

haha I'm just messin around, but the open minded thread was more to encourage the masses from either proclaiming the next coach a savior or a failure. Much like I said Fisher turning us down would be a blessing in disguise as we'd actually have to listen to the interviews.

DudeleBroski
01-18-2012, 12:59 AM
I dont even care about it at all as far as how I view him draft stock wise. It just makes me :bobdole: when people carry mary jane on them everywhere and get knocked for possession when its so easy to keep it in a drawer in your bedroom. Concerts, parties, toke and drives. Can't really be mad at the guy.At least it was a small amount so we know he wasn't selling it.

Roman529
01-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Less than 20 grams? That won't even get you a slap on the wrist here in Colorado. :chuckle: I can't believe some of these knuckleheads would risk their career and millions for a little weed...at least wait until after the draft and after you signed a contract before you become like Ricky!!!!!

endorPHINS72
01-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Wow. He did just cost himself millions of dollars. How stupid are these kids??? I was hoping we might draft him until I read this.