PDA

View Full Version : Charles Davis has Miami taking a RB in round one

Nawledge
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
The bigger need would appear to be WR, but despite the drafting last year of RB Daniel Thomas, the availability of the Heisman finalist makes him the choice in South Beach.

At pick 9 Charles Davis has Miami selecting Alabama RB Trent Richardson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/charles-davis/65030?module=HP11_cp

TrinidadDolfan
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Bullocks

Nawledge
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
if hes there when we pick does anyone think Ireland drafts him?

I know the majority of people will say we need to trade up at all costs to get RG3 but realistically if we stay where we're at in the draft and Richardson is there do you think we would really take him? and if so is he that good to be taken that high? Pretty good RBs can be found in later rounds alot of the time.

WalterSobchak
01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
He is that good to be taken in the top 10 but I don"t see Ireland taking a rb in round 1.

Mudder1310
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Richardson is a machine, and would be a nice addition. But we need help all over the place. I wonder how much different the offense is with Richardson and the current O line than Bush with a line adding DeCastro or Reiff.

BARF
01-17-2012, 09:45 PM
i would rather have lamar miller, i think miller will last longer in the nfl

datruth55
01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I still don't see how WR is a bigger need on this team over a pass rushing OLB/DE.

DKphin
01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
If he is there at #09, I would take him in a heartbeat. May not be a need, but he would definitely be the best player available. I have been aware of him since his days at Escambia High. The only thing that will derail his path to greatness is an idiot for a HC(which is a real possibility with this owner and GM) or an injury. i think it would be a gift from God if were able to obtain his services for the next 10-15 yrs., but I do not think there is a chance in Hell that this happens.

Phin-Phan 66
01-18-2012, 12:30 AM
If Richardson is there, RUN, don't walk the card up to the podium.

ChambersWI
01-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Davis even said on NFLN that Richardson is a top 5 pick that will fall cause of teams not emphasizing the running game, but he had to put him in the top 10 somewhere.

TedSlimmJr
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
You don't get many opportunities at truly elite talent. Miami hasn't been in a position to be passing up elite talent in 30 years.

It's likely that Miami may be in a position where Trent Richardson is clearly the best player available when they're on the clock.

There's very, very few backs in the NFL that would keep Richardson from being the day 1 starter... and none of them currently reside on Miami's roster.

He's got pistons for legs. He runs through, over, and by the best defenses in the land that are all geared to stop only him.

However, what makes Richardson an elite talent isn't only his ability to tote the rock, and entire defenses on his back. It's the impact he'll have on his offenses passing game that won't ever get talked about by fans in a draft forum. He's both a brute, and a tactical explosive in pass protection and blitz pick-up. One of the best I've ever seen coming out of college at this aspect. His versatility in the passing game is unmatched.

The other option would be to reach to fill something that appears to be a "now need".... which is always a tremendous blunder. Talent takes precedence over need. You're not picking in the top 10 because you're one player away from winning a superbowl.

Roman529
01-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I haven't been too impressed with D-Thomas running the ball, and I think we could move him and go with Reggie and T. Richardson next year. I don't think we should draft another O-lineman, so if we don't take a pass rusher, or a TE, then a player like Richardson would be fine with me. I also think we could trade down.

JCane
01-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Can't see any RB going in the top 10 these days.

j-off-her-doll
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
I think you have to look at players at weapons. I was OK with the Bills drafting Spiller top 10 because he wasn't just a M. Turner type RB. Richardson is a much better prospect than Spiller. Closest thing to AP since AP, and there are things he does much better than AP.

finomenal
01-18-2012, 10:01 AM
They better not even THINK about it....

natetherock
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I love the idea of Richardson being available when we pick because it will drastically increase our chances to trade back.

Having said that I also wouldn't mind staying put and taking Richardson. If a talent like this is on the board when we pick I think we'll be in a win win situation. I know RB isn't necessarily a need, but this guy is an elite talent. We may even be able to trade DT and acquire a mid round pick if Richardson is our pick.

Tunaphish429
01-18-2012, 10:20 AM
I dont see it happening cause I dont think he is gonna be there at 9...Some team is gonna move up to get him or I could see the Browns and or Skins maybe drafting.

Hayden Fox
01-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Charles Davis has perhaps the worst mock draft I have ever seen.

WelcomeBack
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I'd definitely take him.

After splitting so much time with Ingram, you have to believe his legs are still relatively fresh. He's a well-spoken, smart kid. You can see by his presser he is very passionate about this game and was very torn about leaving Alabama. I LOVE that kind of passion in a young kid who is doing something to give himself financial security, but hated to leave his family (team mates).

Anyone who has watched Trent Richardson knows what kind of talent he is. I think the only thing Ingram had better than T-Rich was the vision, but Trent has EVERYTHING you want in a running back, plus some. Hard runner, pretty quick, strong, excellent blocker, can catch passes. If he's there at our pick and there's nobody else as good or better that drops (Luck, Blackmon), you select him. He'll help EVERY facet of an offense, running, catching and blocking (blitz pickup). He's that good and you don't pass up someone who has the potential to be a Top 3 running back in this league.

iwastherein72
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I despise that guy, and he will be taking a pay cut to come to the NFL LOL...

... but he, along w/ Luck, are the 2 best prospects to wind up in Canton someday that have come down the chute in years.

You want your 1st round pick to be a potential HOF'er, and he is that.

NorFlaFin
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Taking Trent Richardson means Daniel Thomas is a waste of a pick.

BARF
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
i really like thomas he compliments bush really good the bad thing he was slowed down by injuries, i think next year he have a good year now that he knows how the speed of the nfl is, i would not waste a pick on TR, we have bigger needs than rb on this team, pass rusher, secondary, wr, just to name a few

MiamiMuss
01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Honestly if this happened it would be a perfect time to try and real in Flynn.I would say a swap of picks int he 1st and a 4th next to a 3rd if he throws for 3300 yards and 22 TD's..I woudnt hesitate to draft Richardson if the Pack didnt like the idea.

dolfanduwayne63
01-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Taking Trent Richardson means Daniel Thomas is a waste of a pick.Compared to Richardso, Daniel Thomas is a waste of a pick. Although Thomas may be servicable, if he's able to stay healthy, Richardson has a great chance at being one of the best RB's in the league someday. He is a elite talent who can't be passed at that point, if he's still available, regardless of need. As stated earlier, this team is far from one player away from championship caliber, contrary to what many believe.

bryan
01-19-2012, 02:08 AM
The NFL is a passing league. Elite talent at the RB position, like AP and MJD are on teams picking in the top 5 of the draft. Chris Johnson on a Jeff Fisher coached team in 2009 ran for over 2k yards and had over a 6 YPC average for most of the season........yet they started out 0-6 and Vince Young came in and led them to an 8-8 record. Barry Sanders, the best back to ever play, never even made it to a Super Bowl.....and that was before the rule changes aiding the passing game.

What have CJ Spiller or Mark Ingram done? Reggie Bush averaged 5.0 YPC this season for over 1K and we were in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes for half of the season. Running backs are not worthless, but they have no place in the top half of the first round of the draft.

perfect1
01-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I still don't see how WR is a bigger need on this team over a pass rushing OLB/DE.
True dat......... I think guys r just hung up on the star type players in college and don't look at the intangibles.
These guys r pros we just have opinions so please stop crying and whining.:boohoo:

allsilverdreams
01-19-2012, 05:52 PM
i was born in 72 ;) like what you had to say

mia4ever
01-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Honestly if this happened it would be a perfect time to try and real in Flynn.I would say a swap of picks int he 1st and a 4th next to a 3rd if he throws for 3300 yards and 22 TD's..I woudnt hesitate to draft Richardson if the Pack didnt like the idea.Matt Flynn is a free agent, free agency is before the draft

MarshallFin1
01-21-2012, 02:25 AM
The NFL is a passing league. Elite talent at the RB position, like AP and MJD are on teams picking in the top 5 of the draft. Chris Johnson on a Jeff Fisher coached team in 2009 ran for over 2k yards and had over a 6 YPC average for most of the season........yet they started out 0-6 and Vince Young came in and led them to an 8-8 record. Barry Sanders, the best back to ever play, never even made it to a Super Bowl.....and that was before the rule changes aiding the passing game.

What have CJ Spiller or Mark Ingram done? Reggie Bush averaged 5.0 YPC this season for over 1K and we were in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes for half of the season. Running backs are not worthless, but they have no place in the top half of the first round of the draft.

I think reggie bush and thomas have done enough to prove our running game is good to go, but at the same time, ross is trying to make splashes this offseason, another offensive tackle wont be a splash, matt flynn/richardson are huge splashes, thats what i think the decision will come down too.

Mudder1310
01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Matt Flynn is a free agent, free agency is before the draft
The only issue is if the Pack put the franchise tag on Flynn, then we would need to deal for him and not just sign him.

NorthernFin
01-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Exactly!

2413fanphins
01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
richardson is a guy who you definately take if hes right there, hopefully he is there, and the phone rings off the hook and we can get a couple picks for him.

I'd rather an upshaw in round one and lamar miller in round two if he falls, than richardson, but I can't see passing up trent if he is there at 8 or 9. theres just way too much talent there.

MiamiMuss
01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
LOL what i would do if Miller fell to us in the 2nd..I would fly down to a Miami game and streak.

Wildbill3
01-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I can't see *EVER* drafting a RB in the first round.

The Confessor
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Yep, this EXACTLY!!!

We won't even sniff an RB before maybe the 4th round, and we shouldn't. Way too many other more important positions to shore up, and even if we didn't I wouldn't put this kid as a top 10 or even top 15 pick.

Cheeze
01-22-2012, 03:50 PM

This is a VERY good point.

It is clearly a passing league now. You need a defense, to some degree, but if you have that QB/WR/TE combo you can go fairly far in this league.

To take Trent that high tho would not be a smart idea IMO. If someone like Blackmon is there I would much rather take him than Richardson given the mindset behind how GB ran its offense with Grant/Starks. A Bush/Richardson combination would be killer on defenses but what would happen if we are behind and the run game is once again negated? You must pass to WIN in this league. GB had a slew of great to good WRs in - Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson and to a lesser degree Finley.

You take a complimentary WR to Marshall or Upshaw at that position. OR you trade back a FEW spots, get another pick, to still be able to grab a great pass rushing OLB/DE in the 1st RD.

JamesBW43
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Richardson might be too talented to not take at #8 or #9 unless an equally talented player is available. But like many have said, RB is becoming a less desired position these days, and I tend to agree that, of all the top talent, Richardson has the best chance to slide a bit.

Reggie Bush played well but who knows how long he can sustain that level of production. And Daniel Thomas is an unproven 2nd rounder.

I'm not a fan of drafting running backs high either, but I think the value that this particular pick might supersede that and other arguments against it.

All that said, Ireland seems to prefer drafting need over value, and Philbin is coming from an offense that hasn't had a quality running back in god knows how long. It's hard to see us taking Richardson imo.

Mudder1310
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
We just saw two teams get to their respective championship games with a good running game and great defense, both came close to winning as well. The league wants to be pass driven because it's exciting, puts butts in the seats, and sells the franchise of the NFL. SF and Balt (Den and Hou too) showed that running the ball will win games.

If T Richardson is available it would be crazy to pass.

greasyObnoxious
01-23-2012, 06:54 PM
IMO we got lucky having Reggie Bush for 15 games. if Richardson is there at #8/#9, he's a hell of a pick

The Confessor
01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
We just saw two teams get to their respective championship games with a good running game and great defense, both came close to winning as well. The league wants to be pass driven because it's exciting, puts butts in the seats, and sells the franchise of the NFL. SF and Balt (Den and Hou too) showed that running the ball will win games.

If T Richardson is available it would be crazy to pass.

Right, but your forgetting the fact that the RB's you are talking about are as follows:

Ahmad Bradshaw- 7th round, pick 250 overall
Brandon Jacobs- 4th round, 110 overall
Benjarvis Green-Ellis- UDFA
Danny Woodhead- UDFA
Ray Rice- 2nd round pick, 55 overall
Ricky-1st round, 5th overall
Frank Gore- 3rd round, 65 overall
Kendall Hunter- 4th round, 116 overall.

Do you see a trend here? Go research whoever you think the best 10 backs in the league are. You are going to find that well over half are 3rd or later, and good chance that 33% were UDFA

No how no way do we waste a top 10 pick on a RB, especially with the emergence of Reggie Bush.

insom187
01-24-2012, 01:30 AM
If Richardson were Adrian Peterson I'd take him but he's not so I won't lol.

Gore only fell because he had multiple knee injuries but he was always said to be better than Portis, McGaheeand all the other backs in his time at the U. If there is a stud running back in a draft you take them BECAUSE not many teams have them now. Time of possession is quickly becoming one of the most important stats in football as the only way to stop some of these more powerful offenses is to just keep them off the field.

realdolphin
01-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Bush and Richardson would be an insane RB tandem, we could add flynn to compete with moore and we would instantly have a tremendous offense.

Funky Fin
01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I was a fan of Ingram, so I am a fan of Richardson, but... I LOVE Miller.

luduporcu
01-29-2012, 02:10 AM
I've seen RICHARDSON, and he's topshelf. Too many of you aren't coordinating your F/A plan and your Draft plan.

If I were in IRELAND's position, I'd START OUT by signing the best F/A G I could get. That way, if all else fails, CAREY goes back to RT, where he was a solid, serviceable veteran. INCOGNITO moves to RG where he belongs, and our new F/A plays LG. If JERRY continues to morph into a very solid G or T, fine. Ditto, MURTHA. And GARNER has shown the ability to play every OL position except LT. MIAMI could very well become very good at keeping its QB standing up: it couldn't do that this past season.

Second, there's very little in this year's F/A class at FS. But I believe the best one out there played for one of our new Coaches. So, GET HIM! Do whatever it takes short of "mortgaging the farm". Then put R JONES at SS, where he belongs, and cut BELL. BELL costs over $6 Million, and he can't cover ANYONE anymore. Let CLEMMONS continue to back-up at FS, and let CULVER back-up at SS.

Third, for a pass-rushing OLB, go after AVRIL (sp?).

Fourth, unless MIAMI intends to trade up to #4 or so to get BLACKMON and is confident that it'll be able to do so, get a solid deep threat F/A WR.

Let what MIAMI does in F/A determine who it drafts where.