PDA

View Full Version : What does Dan Marino think about Matt Flynn as a Miami Dolphins option?

jim1
01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
In the meantime, Marino sounded pretty reserved when asked about Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn this week on The Joe Rose Show.
ďSome guys are just ó I donít want to say it in a negative light ó but sometimes thereís a reason why guys are backups, you know?Ē Marino said during his weekly WQAM appearance. ďIím not saying he canít come in here and be a terrific player. Maybe he can be. But he didnít play somewhere the whole time. He hasnít had that [experience].Ē

What Flynn has had is two late-season starts the past two years, faring extremely well at the Patriots in 2010 (three TDs, one INT, 100.2 rating) and again at home against the Lions on New Yearís Day (480 passing yards, six touchdowns, 136.4 rating). Flynn also came out of the bullpen at the Lions in December 2010, passing for 177 yards, no TDs and one interception.

And while itís true that Flynn is a former seventh-round draft pick (2008), he did win a national championship as the starting quarterback at LSU. More recently, he has been present for every practice rep and every game snap ANY Packers quarterback has taken under offensive coordinator Joe Philbin the past four years.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2012/01/what-does-dan-marino-think-about-matt-flynn-as-a-miami-dolphins-option.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2Fseasonticket+%28Season+Ticket+%7C+Sun+Sentinel+blogs%29

ckparrothead
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Damn, Dan. Kinda harsh!

hooshoops
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
i doubt dans payed much attention to how he played...i doubt it very much...but yeah i didn't think dan would be that harsh about any guy still in the league...ha ha

can't say i agree with him though...not off what i've seen...my concern with flynn if i have one is am i getting another ryan fitzpatrick in the deal...cause frankly thats just not good enough...i think he's got more upside than that personally but if thats what we end up with its not gonna get the job done...

TedSlimmJr
01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
I think Dan has a point that some guys are backups for a reason. However, a lot of guys are backups for a damn good reason... and it's because they're behind an elite quarterback.

I suppose if you're going to get a backup QB from somewhere and make him your starter, there's no better place to get one than Green Bay. Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, etc. were all backups in Green Bay and went on to be outstanding for other teams.

Matt Shaub was a backup in Atlanta. Jake Delhomme was a backup in New Orleans.

Hell, Kurt Warner was Trent Green's backup in St. Louis. Trent Green himself has even been a backup quarterback.

Jeff Hostetler was a backup to Phil Simms in New York. Rich Gannon was a backup his entire career, but ended up a pro bowler after he finally "got it". (Gannon played in a Wing-T offense in college)

Jeff Garcia was a backup.

Stan Humphries was a backup and ended up a pro bowler in San Diego, and led one of the biggest comebacks against Marino himself in the playoffs that probably knocked Dan out of his best chance to ever get a ring in '94.

Chris Chandler was a backup... went to Atlanta from Tennessee and went to back-to-back pro bowls. Including leading Atlanta to a 14-2 record and a superbowl appearance.

Brad Johnson was a backup. He's got a ring.

The point is, yes, some guys are backups for a reason, and will always be. But just because you're backup doesn't mean that's all you'll ever be. Especially if you can continue your momentum by staying in the same system when you go to another team.

SMadison29
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Good evaluation Dan. Flynn had tons of weapons in Green Bay & put his numbers up against the 23rd ranked Lions defense this year & the 25th ranked Patriots defense last year.

Zounds
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Dan Marino was a backup to Woodley

ry-dbar
01-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Dan is doing the Dolphins a favor. He's talking Flynn down so Miami can get him a little cheaper!

datruth55
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Dan Marino doesn't like Flynn, Phil Simms doesn't like Andrew Luck...not every ex-QB is a scout.

BlueCelicaTRD
01-25-2012, 02:15 AM
I love Dan but this is why he works for CBS. In this case Andrew Luck will win a SB every year, Lebron will hit a finals winning shot every year, Danica Patrick will win the Daytona 500 this year... Hes on that side now. Just because you were great doesn't mean you can predict the future. All you have is your opinion. Which makes him no different than you and me.

KingDolphin57
01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I agree totally Dan. Flynn's a backup for a reason.

Roman529
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
In the meantime, Marino sounded pretty reserved when asked about Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn this week on The Joe Rose Show.
“Some guys are just — I don’t want to say it in a negative light — but sometimes there’s a reason why guys are backups, you know?” Marino said during his weekly WQAM appearance. “I’m not saying he can’t come in here and be a terrific player. Maybe he can be. But he didn’t play somewhere the whole time. He hasn’t had that [experience].”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2012/01/what-does-dan-marino-think-about-matt-flynn-as-a-miami-dolphins-option.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2Fseasonticket+(Season+Ticket+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

Maybe Dan forgets that Rodgers backed up Favre for a long time in Green Bay??? There is a reason why some guys are backups....because the guy ahead of them is a Hall of Famer, and they have to wait their turn. I love Dan, but I think he is wrong here. Some guys just need a chance. Look at Steve Young and how he had to wait his turn behind Joe Montana. Young turned into a Hall of Fame QB.