PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Tackle

tapsmiled
01-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I rarely check this part of Finheaven, so please excuse me if this has been brought up before.

I would love to see the Fins go out and draft a Tackle. Going into the draft, Jake Long was viewed as a good LT but an elite RT. With his injuries mounting up and, inevitably, taking their toll along with Colombo being a liability (though he seemed to improve at the end of the season), how about going after a LT and moving Jake to the right. Especially if the Peyton Manning rumors become reality, having a tough OL would really help to protect Manning and allow him the time to work his magic. If you look at the pieces we have in place, he is an ideal fit, and having a solid OL would be a must. It looks like there are 3 tackles in the first 10-12 picks, so I think it would be a wise choice. Matt Moore, while unspectacular, was pretty much our offensive MVP, so the urgency has diminished somewhat. No, he is not the long-term answer (and neither is Peyton for that matter), but Manning is on an entirely different level when healthy and could have massive immediate impacts if he is properly protected. Then, in rounds 2-3, you can take a shot at a QB.

DaDolfan25
01-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Jake was arguably the top OT in football going into this year. If not #1 then #2 behind Joe Thomas of the browns. So I'm not too sure where your analysis of Jake is coming from. We already have a RT in-house. His name is John Jerry. He played solid while filling in for Long at LT. He also played on the right side of the line esssntially his whole fotball career he said so he is comfortable ther. No need to spend a high draft pick on a OT when w already have one at a very cheap rate.

Valandui
01-25-2012, 04:09 AM
The only OL worth taking in the top ten is DeCastro.

tapsmiled
01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Jake was arguably the top OT in football going into this year. If not #1 then #2 behind Joe Thomas of the browns. So I'm not too sure where your analysis of Jake is coming from. We already have a RT in-house. His name is John Jerry. He played solid while filling in for Long at LT. He also played on the right side of the line esssntially his whole fotball career he said so he is comfortable ther. No need to spend a high draft pick on a OT when w already have one at a very cheap rate.

As I wrote in my original post, Jake was projected as an elite RT. My opinion is not based upon his performance; rather, I think a move is reasonable given his health and recent injuries. Let's not forget that, though he hasn't missed games in the past, his injuries have been an issue. I would think that moving to the other side would, generally speaking, leave him facing "weaker" opponents on a regular basis.

Valandui
01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
No OT in this draft is on Jake Long's level. If you (not you personally, but in the sense of the team) move Jake Long to RT just to justify spending a top ten pick on an OT, I would seriously question you talent evaluation abilites.