PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt Predicts Ryan Tannehill Will Go in Top 10

Hayden Fox
01-26-2012, 01:06 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/podcasts/peter_king/index.html

This podcast is a long listen, but it is interesting for a Fins fan.

Brandt is high on Tannehill..believes he can go in top ten.

Also, he likes Weeden, but says his age will hurt him.

Side not, Matt Birk is on and talks at length about Joe Philbin. Amazing man it seems is the new coach of the FIns.

rrrrphin
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Mike Sherman - if he becomes our OC will give us the scoop on Tannehill.
Philbin knows Flynn.

With all this inside info, how can Ireland "f" up this one.

VandyLaw
01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Mike Sherman - if he becomes our OC will give us the scoop on Tannehill. Philbin knows Flynn. With all this inside info, how can Ireland "f" up this one.

"Sorry Joe, sorry Mike, Mr. Ross gave me final say. I'm going with WWBTD -- What Would Big Tuna Do? -- on this one. We're signing the highest price interior lineman in FA and drafting a RT at 8/9. We can always find an acorn QB lying around later."

state06
01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
i could easily see Tannehill being taken early in the draft. Thought so as soon as Barkley and Jones stayed in school.

eomdtbtr
01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Tannehill is personally my guy this draft. With Sherman coming on at oc I think we pull the trigger on him at 9. Sign Peyton and our QB situation is fixed for a decade.

datruth55
01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Philbin knows Flynn.

C'mon, it's Jeff Ireland.

How does he not take a TE two years ago in the deepest TE draft in a long time...maybe the deepest one ever (Jermaine Gresham, Rob Gronkowski, Ed Dickson, Tony Moeaki, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Michael Hoomanawanui...all have done pretty good over the last two years)?

How does he not take a QB in a fairly deep QB draft last year (Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, T.J. Yates all got playing time last year and with the exception of Locker all won games)?

Gonzo
01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
C'mon, it's Jeff Ireland.

How does he not take a TE two years ago in the deepest TE draft in a long time...maybe the deepest one ever (Jermaine Gresham, Rob Gronkowski, Ed Dickson, Tony Moeaki, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Michael Hoomanawanui...all have done pretty good over the last two years)?

How does he not take a QB in a fairly deep QB draft last year (Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, T.J. Yates all got playing time last year and with the exception of Locker all won games)?B-b-but he brought in Reggie Bush and drafted a decent center to replace the one he mistakenly let go (after replacing him with a well known injury-prone Grove)!

That being said, I hope he finally ditches the Parcells approach and adapts to the modern NFL (i.e. cornfeds in the later rounds and FA and playmakers in the early rounds). I don't have any choice really; he's here whether the fans like it or not.

Kistner10
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
If Ponder can be taken 12th then I see no reason Tannehill can't be taken in the same range.

ckparrothead
01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I've had Ryan Tannehill mocked to go top 10 since like November. I haven't seen a reason yet to change that. I think Washington will draft him.

Hayden Fox
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I could see Miami taking him. Shanahan needs to win now.

Big Daddy 13
01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Huge mistake if Miami drafts Tannehill. What a terrible way to start this year's draft.

BlueFin
01-26-2012, 09:08 PM
I've said it as well...I agree Tannehill could very well go top ten and maybe to Miami.

RobertHorry
01-26-2012, 11:05 PM
B-b-but he brought in Reggie Bush and drafted a decent center to replace the one he mistakenly let go (after replacing him with a well known injury-prone Grove)!

That being said, I hope he finally ditches the Parcells approach and adapts to the modern NFL (i.e. cornfeds in the later rounds and FA and playmakers in the early rounds). I don't have any choice really; he's here whether the fans like it or not.

I think he already ditched that philosophy as evident in last years draft.

As well as bringing in Reggie Bush, someone Parcells would NEVER bring in to be a feature back.

Gonzo
01-26-2012, 11:26 PM
I think he already ditched that philosophy as evident in last years draft.

As well as bringing in Reggie Bush, someone Parcells would NEVER bring in to be a feature back.How was last years draft evidence? A lineman in the first round? Trading up for a ground and pound running back?

He did well with Bush. Awesome. That doesn't erase the rest of his mistakes and his tendency to be reactive with his personnel decisions rather than proactive.

HybridPHIN 23
01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Here's a list of guys like Tannehill who really climbed the charts once the true evaluations commenced......

Phillip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger
Joe Flacco
Josh Freeman
Christian Ponder
Jay Cutler
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton

There's one every year, and they climb the charts for good reason.

ckparrothead
01-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Here's a list of guys like Tannehill who really climbed the charts once the true evaluations commenced......

Phillip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger
Joe Flacco
Josh Freeman
Christian Ponder
Jay Cutler
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton

IMO you're seeing cloud formations. Pat White rose through the process, what about him? JP Losman rose through the process, as did Colin Kaepernick, what about them?

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-27-2012, 12:40 AM

Phillip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger
Joe Flacco
Josh Freeman
Christian Ponder
Jay Cutler
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton

I believe most of the qb's played the position more than a year or so. Comparing his raw skills to the guys who were 3-4 year starters, is a reach. As will his selection if taken in the 1st round.

HybridPHIN 23
01-27-2012, 01:45 AM
IMO you're seeing cloud formations. Pat White rose through the process, what about him? JP Losman rose through the process, as did Colin Kaepernick, what about them?

Terrible examples to support your "cloud formations" argument.......... Uncompareable to guys who rose into the top of round 1 from the 2nd-mid round grades . Isn't that what we're talking about here with Tannehill? *I did throw in Andy Dalton, but thats a fair exception. Losman may apply but i think your going back a little farther than i did.

These scenarios often involve smaller school products who have the production and skillset, just not recognition or team success. Once the evaluation begins they shine.

That lists consists of just about all possible candidates the past 8 or so years. All of them Pro-Bowl caliber Starters. Seeing cloud formations? :chuckle: The success rate is undeniable. Mark Sanchez is the only real argument you could make, but he was always thought of as 1st round material, wasn't he ?

Kdawg954
01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
One thing for certain, the HC has an option in Flynn he is familiar with, the OC has an option in Tannehill he is familiar with, and you already have a guy who was top 12 in the NFL in QB rating with Matt Moore under contract. I would say Miami has quite a few options at QB. Hopefully they get it right.

MadDog 88
01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
In all likelihood Tannehil takes 3-4 years to mature. Weeden is ready now. If they don't go Manning or Flynn, Weeden can step in and start. If they choose Manning then Tannehil should be the option.

Dolphin Dave
01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Philbin knows Flynn.

Your assuming that he is given good objective evaluations. If these guys say they want "their" guy is it Ireland's fault if they fail?

Fin Thirteen
01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm a Tannehill fan, I think he's going to be a tremendous QB and he has already demonstrated how short his learning curve is. But he is no way ready to be a starter, in my view. I think a top 10 for a guy who has little chance of starting is a bit of a reach for most teams.

Manning and Tannehill would be intriguing though, especially if they kept one of Henne and Moore also. Tannehill at 8/9 is maybe 10 spots high, but if you believe in the guy, maybe he's worth it.

J. David Wannyheimer
01-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm a Tannehill fan, I think he's going to be a tremendous QB and he has already demonstrated how short his learning curve is. But he is no way ready to be a starter, in my view. I think a top 10 for a guy who has little chance of starting is a bit of a reach for most teams. Manning and Tannehill would be intriguing though, especially if they kept one of Henne and Moore also. Tannehill at 8/9 is maybe 10 spots high, but if you believe in the guy, maybe he's worth it. If you sign Manning, then Tannehill's going to be a starter real fast whether he's ready or not.

Hayden Fox
01-28-2012, 09:13 AM
I think they would trade up for RGIII if Manning or Flynn is not signed.

firemanx
01-28-2012, 06:09 PM
if we could land tannenhill& mike sherman feels good about the guy being hi QBscoop him up to mature behind matt flyn

Hayden Fox
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
If you get Flynn, there is no need to take a QB early in the draft.

Finfanforever
01-31-2012, 04:40 PM

Throughly disagree! This kind of opinion is exactly why we have not solved this problem since Dan Marino! What if Flynn is a mirage??? Sign Flynn...then draft Tannehill. If you do that the odds off solving the QB drought just doubled. I don't care if we solve ANYTHING else...we have to solve this QB delimma!

NorFlaFin
01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Phillip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger
Joe Flacco
Josh Freeman
Christian Ponder
Jay Cutler
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton

Guys in bold were talked about as 1st round picks at the end of the Jr years.

Heck FSU had a banner hung on Doak Campbell touting Christian Ponder as "NFL ready" per The Sporting News.

Fin Thirteen
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
If you sign Manning, then Tannehill's going to be a starter real fast whether he's ready or not.

Don't disagree, but I would still take the chance if it was an incentive based contract.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Miami would be the perfect spot for Ryan Tannehill. He could sit and learn for a year behind Matt Moore in Sherman's offense. Obviously, Sherman will be a good source as to whether or not the Dolphins draft Tannehill.

Hayden Fox
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Throughly disagree! This kind of opinion is exactly why we have not solved this problem since Dan Marino! What if Flynn is a mirage??? Sign Flynn...then draft Tannehill. If you do that the odds off solving the QB drought just doubled. I don't care if we solve ANYTHING else...we have to solve this QB delimma!

If you do not believe Flynn is the answer that is fine.However, if you do sign him to franchise starter cash, why are you not building around him so he can excel.

Kistner10
01-31-2012, 07:03 PM

I still think you take one in range of rounds 4-7. It's best to always have a developmental QB on the roster in case your starter doesn't work out or to try to dangle in future trades.

If you mean in the first 2 rounds then I agree.

Mudder1310
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
If we have determined the biggest problem spot is at qb then we need to take the best steps to fix it. If that means signing the best FA and drafting a prospect then that's the right call. Will that solve the problem? Who knows? Some of the best qbs in the game were late picks or fa. Brady, Romo, Brees, Warner, and so on. Maybe Flynn is like them, or maybe a later flier on someone like Osweiler or Hillman. Not everyone can be like Newton or Roethlisberger and perform.

Hayden Fox
01-31-2012, 07:37 PM
I do not have an issue taking a developmental QB. However, IF the Fins believe in Flynn that much to sign him to big dollars they must give him weapons, protection and players on D that can take the ball away. Rounds 1-4 need to be guys that start right away.

Da GODfather
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Why not take a shot at Brock Osweiler? I think with him sitting and perfecting his skill set, learning behind Manning (perhaps) would be a great pick up for this team. With our new coaching staff, I think we could work miracles wit this man beast.

What round do you guys think he'll go??

Finfanforever
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
If you do not believe Flynn is the answer that is fine.However, if you do sign him to franchise starter cash, why are you not building around him so he can excel.

Fox,
Although I agree with your point most of the time...I don't on this one. As you know...despite all the scouting, studying and raking people over the coals...the draft is a crap-shoot...so is free agency. Miami has flirted with fixing this QB thing since Marino was QB. You sighn Flynn...make him the starter and draft Tannehill to sit and learn. At the end of the day, if both turn out to be spectactular players...you have some major trade-bait. Good Qb's are ALWAYS in demand. I know we have other needs but they pail in conparison to the QB position. If all we did this off season is solve this problem...hope and excitment will return to Dolphin land.