PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayocks ranks Riley Reiff as a better prospect then Matt Kalil

silverfin
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
So assuming we go with Matt Flynn or Peyton Manning at quarterback, stick with Matt Moore or even Chad Henne, and don't trade down then it is likely we may look to draft a tackle in Rd 1. From what I've seen and read, many think Matt Kalil is the best tackle prospect since Joe Thomas. So with that being said, Mayock has Reiff as the better prospect.

Would you agree with him? I think both would be nice picks (providing we get a QB) but the prospect of having Long and Kalil on the same team is exciting.

rob19
01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Every draft Mayok will do something like this and rank a player higher than most have him, or rank a player most have really high a little lower. I actually like Mayok though, I remember when he predicted Aaron Rodgers to GB @ 24.

Valandui
01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I sound like a broken record at this point, but the only OL worth taking in the top ten is DeCastro.

ticophin
01-26-2012, 09:49 PM
I respect Mayock, he hits and misses, but his insight is irreplaceble...DThomas as the 2nd best RB last draft was one of those misses imo, although its still early to tell...

DudeleBroski
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Give me a QB WR PR'ing LB or a 43 end with our first pick.

Da Phinishisher
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Mayock makes it a point to do this every year. Gerald McCoy over Suh, etc. Its so if he gets lucky people can say wow he called it.

ckparrothead
01-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Small factoids to fuel the fire: Riley Reiff won three state championships in high school as a wrestler, with a match record of 131-1.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Mayock makes it a point to do this every year. Gerald McCoy over Suh, etc. Its so if he gets lucky people can say wow he called it.

IMO, this is not like Mayock putting Gerald McCoy over Suh.

quasi
01-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Small factoids to fuel the fire: Riley Reiff won three state championships in high school as a wrestler, with a match record of 131-1.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

IMO, this is not like Mayock putting Gerald McCoy over Suh.

what do you think is different about it?

ckparrothead
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
what do you think is different about it?

Matt Kalil is not Ndamukong Suh. He's not a strong enough prospect to have a strangle hold on the #1 ranking at his position. I don't know if I would personally put Reiff above him I'm just saying I don't think it's staking out any ridiculous position to do that. Several evaluators are probably thinking the same thing.

finsfanjay13
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
In the Dolphins' case, I hope it doesn't matter who is the best, because they shouldn't be drafting one.

TedSlimmJr
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
In the Dolphins' case, I hope it doesn't matter who is the best, because they shouldn't be drafting one.

This is absolutely correct. It doesn't matter which one anybody thinks is better, Miami doesn't need to be drafting another tackle this high anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't put Reiff above Kalil. However, if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times... Kalil is barely top 10 worthy as a tackle prospect to begin with. I liked the kid USC had playing RT last year, Tyron Smith, a little better than I do Kalil.

Kalil isn't Joe Thomas. Joe Thomas was the best left tackle I had seen since Chris Samuels. Matt Kalil isn't quite that caliber of left tackle.

I think Mayock sees a guy who consistently plays with better leverage and technique than Kalil does. Kalil's height and upright technique is why he struggles with letting pass rushers get under his pads and have to reset himself in vertical pass sets.

This isn't the same as having Gerald McCoy over Kong Suh. Which was about as perplexing as when Mayock had Robert Ayers as the best defensive player in the draft.

dtjp17
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I say that we sign Flynn and Nicks or Grubbs to sure up the O line LONG, NICKS/GRUBBS POUNCEY COGNITO AND JERRY draft Jefferies and allen or the TE from stanford

BARF
01-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I respect Mayock, he hits and misses, but his insight is irreplaceble...DThomas as the 2nd best RB last draft was one of those misses imo, although its still early to tell...

the reason it was a miss was because of his hamstring issues, i believe he will be the real deal next year

Roman529
01-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah I have seen Mayock's ranking of Reiff ahead of Kalil on the NFL Network.....they are top two either way you look at it, but hopefully we won't take an O-lineman with our first pick.

PSU Cane
01-27-2012, 11:35 PM

Well now that depends. If the Phins somehow go after Manning and he doesn't want to be beat up with that injured neck, he may want the team to sure up that putrid Oline.

realdolphin
01-28-2012, 01:59 AM
would it be a reach to take TE Allen with the 9th pick? the best TE in the draft by far.

sinPHIN
01-28-2012, 04:25 AM
mayock is the best draft guy imo. he always his football knowledge is 10x better than the two *** clowns at espn. mayock gets some wrong, but he is right most of the time. the way he is ranking these two isnt a HUGE surprise, but like others said he usually does this every year

sinPHIN
01-28-2012, 04:28 AM
would it be a reach to take TE Allen with the 9th pick? the best TE in the draft by far.
is this a real question? yes lol i wouldnt mind allen in the second or if some how he dropped to the 3rd. he is the best blocking/recieving te coming out, but i would rather have fleener. i wouldnt be too surprised if orsen charles isnt the first te picked even tho he is the third best in this class imo.

greasyObnoxious
01-28-2012, 11:41 AM

awesome. now let's find the one person who beat Reiff and draft him

ChambersWI
01-28-2012, 12:16 PM
To be fair, Mayock was not the only one saying McCoy over Suh. Not a lot of people were, but there was a group that believed it

finfan54
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Reiff Philbin Iowa Ferentz

it could happen. get used to it. lol

Gonzo
01-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Reiff Philbin Iowa Ferentz

it could happen. get used to it. lolIf that's how he chooses his players, you can count me off the Philbin bandwagon immediately.

houtz
01-30-2012, 11:20 PM
If that's how he chooses his players, you can count me off the Philbin bandwagon immediately.

Like that's really how he chooses players. This isnt tuna.