PDA

View Full Version : Brock Osweiler

crossfit93
01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664777

The lanky Arizona State quarterback had shown talent and grit in his first two seasons with the program but few expected him to emerge as one of the top quarterbacks in the country in 2011. Osweiler, however, showed an immediate comfort level with ASU's new spread offense re-writing the ASU record book by completing 63.2% of his passes for 4,036 yards and 26 touchdowns (against 13 interceptions). His play helped lead Arizona State to a berth against Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl, ASU's first bowl appearance since 2007. Though the Sun Devils lost, Osweiler completed 30 of 47 pass attempts for 395 yards and two touchdowns with an interception.

Seems like Brock has great potential and just needs to learn the game. If we get peyton manning, i would love to draft this kid in the 3rd round to sit under his wing for 2-3 years..... What do you guys think?

JRoX85
01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
He looked terrible in bowl game his stats were also padded agains sub par comp

Roman529
01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Osweiler has great size (6'8") and mobility, nice accuracy and is strong enough to break away from many sacks, like Big Ben. He has to work a little more on his footwork, but he has a nice over-the-top delivery and you don't have to worry about his passes getting slapped down. He was only a starter for one year at ASU but I like his potential. If he was there in Round Three he would be worth a look. Maybe JRox wouldn't be down on his "terrible bowl game," if he considered that ASU's coach was fired, and the OC decided to leave ASU for UCLA, before their bowl game.

DKphin
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
This is just an opinion piece, but I thought it might be instructional for those of us on the East side of the country that do not get to see the players in the west that often.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2012/01/124410783_crop_650x440-1.jpg?1316029993 Christian Petersen/Getty Images
It was a black out. It was in front of more than 70,000 fans. It was nationally televised. There were scouts from at least 13 NFL teams in attendance. It was the biggest game to be played by the Sun Devils in years.
And ASU finally won a big game.
It was the team's first win over a ranked team in its past 11 tries, but they still teased their fans and brought back memories of past late-game collapses by giving up a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter before eventually beating No. 21 Missouri Friday night.
This game meant everything for ASU. All the hopes and dreams the team has talked about during the offseason were on the line.
Although this game will be remembered for the exciting ending or the Missouri head coach icing his own kicker, there is something else to take note of: this was Brock Osweiler (http://bleacherreport.com/brock-osweiler)’s coming out party.
After fellow quarterback Steven Threet called it a career due to injuries, Osweiler headed into this season as the team’s unquestioned leader and starter after closing last year with a bang.
But his new role did not come without expectations.
In the offseason, there were ESPN pundits who made some noise by calling the junior quarterback a dark horse candidate for the Heisman Trophy. Not bad for a kid who had only started two games entering the year, but also not the pressure you want thrown into as a first-year starter.
And boy did he answer the bell in his first test.
Osweiler passed for 353 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for one on 34 yards. He was the brightest spot on the field and made his splash while also being showcased in those sweet black jerseys on ESPN2.
He stepped up and proved he could handle the moment. He had ice in his veins.
But how does he compare to his Pac-12 counterparts? I say very good and it is the beginning of the season.
With other high-profile signal callers in the conference such as Andrew Luck, Nick Foles, Darren Thomas and Matt Barkley, it will be the 6-foot-8 quarterback who almost played basketball last year from the desert that will be second on that list behind the Stanford's Luck.
Many people will insist that the likes of Arizona's Foles and USC's Barkley are better and should be regarded higher than Osweiler, but that is just preseason hype.
Barkley's team cannot play in the postseason and even though the Foles has put up huge numbers already, the squad was embarrassed on national television last week.
Looking over these two will be easy due to the lack of noise their teams will be making this season.

On the other hand, ASU may be poised to make a run this season and Osweiler's performances thus far have backed up what I'm saying that he is going to be the second-best quarterback in the conference when it is all said and done.Last season, he lit up a bad UCLA team for 380 yards and four touchdowns. In the season finale, he led ASU to a win in an ugly rivalry game over Arizona and tossed for 267 yards and a score.
Coaches point back to these games and say something clicked way back then and they could see his development as a leader.
Osweiler has built on the playing time he took advantage of as a sophomore and is carrying the momentum into this season.
There was a lot of things you can be critical of the Sun Devils, but none of it had to do with their junior quarterback.
Watch out for Osweiler, because I don’t want to be the guy at the end of the season saying “I told you so.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...resides-at-asu (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/849675-brock-osweiler-pac-12s-second-best-signal-caller-resides-at-asu)

sinPHIN
01-28-2012, 05:15 PM
it was a mistake for him to come out this year. he should have just transfered. if we take him in the top 3 rounds (which i dont see happening) it would be a mistake imo. he just isnt ready

The Confessor
01-28-2012, 05:45 PM
it was a mistake for him to come out this year. he should have just transfered. if we take him in the top 3 rounds (which i dont see happening) it would be a mistake imo. he just isnt ready

I agree that he should've played one more year of College...that being said, he was still the best Collegiate QB in the State of Arizona this year. :err:

Kistner10
01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
I could see Osweiler going in round 2. He's very raw, but has tons of upside. Kaepernick went in the 2nd round last year, so I see no reason Osweiler can't go in the 2nd round as well.

Awsi Dooger
01-28-2012, 07:17 PM
I'd pass. If we're looking for special talent at the quarterback position I don't think Osweiler qualifies.

He was overmatched by Boise State, despite stats that can look decent at first glance. Osweiler was unprepared for Boise State's pressure early in the game then when Arizona State desperately tried to get back into the game he made a bonehead gaffe on the most critical play of the game, throwing a pick six for 100+ yards while Dennis Erickson attempted to signal time out.

Granted, Boise State makes plenty of opponents look worse than they are.

Keep in mind Osweiler may never have seen the field if Steven Threet had remained healthy. Threet beat out Osweiler in 2010 before suffering a string of concussions that ended his career. I really liked Threet's potential, although his release was trending more and more sidearmed.

Osweiler has pro skills, no denying that. He'll stand in there and make some nice rope throws. If Tyler Palko can start a handful of games it's difficult to exclude anyone. It's just that I think our aspirations have to be higher at this point, and I always thought Osweiler was overstated based on a few games, always at home, and namely against Big 12 Missouri and young USC.

Also, Osweiler was a notorious first half fiend who dropped off dramatically in every category in the second half, whether it was yards per attempt or TD/INT ratio or (no kidding) passer rating. I keep track of that type of thing as a first half bettor and normally that trend does not hold up well for quarterbacks toward the NFL.

3rdandinches
01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Draft him to sit for three years behind P.Manning. He can develop his strength, technique and learn to study defenses with one of the all time great QB's.

sinPHIN
01-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Draft him to sit for three years behind P.Manning. He can develop his strength, technique and learn to study defenses with one of the all time great QB's.
this would be the only way i pick him up, but 2nd is to high imo. if we could get him in like the 4th i would be ok with it.

footsteps_falco
01-28-2012, 09:40 PM
can't rule him out but i don't think he's top 5 of our list just yet.

AccordOn13z
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
This guy is the only player I really want to draft. If it's in the 2nd or 3rd makes no difference to me but he needs to be in aqua and orange. He reminds me of Flacco!

Sent from my Evo 4G

3rdandinches
01-28-2012, 11:21 PM
this would be the only way i pick him up, but 2nd is to high imo. if we could get him in like the 4th i would be ok with it.

If we got Manning I wouldn't want a development QB until the 4th or later.

Awsi Dooger
01-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Osweiler strikes me as an immature goofball, based on how he acts on the field when things aren't going well, and in occasional interviews and media reports I've seen. I should have mentioned that aspect in my previous post.

It aligns with the current Arizona State program in general. They seem to round up Raider type players and characters. Not exactly surprising they were attracted to a hustler coach like Todd Graham, whose word is good for about 5 minutes.

As someone who remembers the early '70s and the mental makeup of that Dolphins team I always cringe when we brainstorm that it doesn't matter, and draft lightweights like Sean Smith. Best of luck in him caring if he ever wins a championship. Those pre draft interviews are huge for me and Osweiler would flunk.

Not the most accurate guy but he can look very good if mid range windows are wide open and he isn't asked to make secondary reads. Dumps it off far too quickly, a trait I despise. Hardly ideal touch.

Deep down I realize I shouldn't make too much of Osweiler's performance the Boise State game. That team is a wagering gem since they'll abuse you if they have time to prepare. Easily the smartest coaching staff in the country. Oregon couldn't make a first down in the 2009 opener at Boise State. Andy Dalton's worse game at TCU was versus Boise State in a bowl.

If that bowl game is ignored Osweiler displays above average physical tools and he may fit the NFL game better than college, at least the college system he was in. He's played perhaps 14 or 15 games total, which is a positive since a 3-year starter with that many weaknesses could be more comfortably rejected.

CedarPhin
01-29-2012, 01:38 AM
He's got all the potential to end up like Ryan Leaf v. 2.0, without the high draft prestige.

Both dudes went to AA high schools in Montana. Both dudes are nutcases. Both are/were said to have a "ton of potential", and a ton of physical ability.

CedarPhin
01-29-2012, 01:53 AM
I'd still consider drafting him though, considering he'd be surrounded by a few other guys from the Treasure State. Hilliard went to the same HS as him I'm pretty sure.

NorFlaFin
01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't mind in the 5th or later. As it's been noted above; the problem isn't his arm or skills, it's between his ears.

LANGER72
01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
I would draft(RD2-3) him to sit behind Flynn and Moore for a couple of years. I like his size, quick release, etc.
The guy needs to mature and improve his game. In a few years he could be something special once he get his head together.
We need to think about his potential a few years down the road and stop thinking about his flaws during his college years.
Long term planning. Shula knew. You always try to find greatness in potential.