PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Combine Mock #1

PSU Cane
01-30-2012, 01:09 AM
So here's my first mock of the season....subject to change MANY times over the next few months especially after Combine and Free Agency.

1 - David DeCastro - OG Stanford
Not knowing what defense the Phins will be running so guys like Upshaw/Coples also being options, i go with what Miami definitely needs....a badass guard who moves bodies around. Miami has nothing at guard, only slightly better at tackle with Jerry/Murtha/Garner battling for RT. Put him next to Pouncey for the next 10 years. Stud.
(Would also consider Upshaw, Reiff, Martin, Coples, Richardson)

2 - Coby Fleener - TE Stanford
I like Fleener, but i like him better in the 3rd. Since i don't see him lasting that long, i'll take him here for now. Miami needs a guy to stretch the middle of the field and Fleener can do that. He's athletic and a nice compliment to Fasano.
(Would also consider Rueben Randle, Zeitler, Sanu, Branch, or a NT like Poe/Ta'amu).

3 - Brock Osweiler - QB Arizona State
At some point we're going to draft a QB, either this year or next. While i really like a few guys in next year's draft i don't see us being bad enough to get them, so let's take a guy who SHOULD be in that draft now. Osweiler is a project, but with Moore and whatever FA QB we bring in here, he'll have time to sit and learn. He's big, good athlete, decent arm, smart guy who has skills to work with.
(Would also consider Cam Johnson, Leonard Johnson, Chandler Jones and Audie Cole).

4 - Shea McClellin - DE/LB Boise State
I just love this guy...his motor, intensity, versatility. He can rush at DE/OLB, play ILB, special teams, all over. Again, since i'm still uncertain which defense we'll run, McClellin can fit in any. He dominated Cordy Glenn. I think he will only get stronger/better in the NFL.
(Would also consider Jamell Fleming, Devier Posey, Aaron Henry, Jarius Wright, Casey Hayward, Kirk Cousins, Jordan White and Mike Martin).

5 - Eric Page - WR Toledo
Slot receiver with incredile quicks like Wes Welker. Can also return kicks. Would seem to be like Randall Cobb for the Pack last year.
(Would also consider Mitchell Schwartz, Philip Blake, Mychal Kendricks, and Olivier Vernon).

6 - Julian Miller - DE/OLB West Virginia
I've seen this guy all over the boards from Rounds 4-7, so i'll stick him here b/c he seems to be a tweener without a position at the moment. I just really like that he's a team first guy (played DT at his size) but can definitely give some pass rush from end and possibly stand up as a rush OLB.
(Would also consider Tysyn Hartman, Jaye Howard and Ryan Van Bergen).

7 - Matt Conrath - DE Virginia
Big body who can play DE or DT. He seems to be low on most draft boards i've seen, which is a little surprising but i'll slot him accordingly. He's a little light in the pants but is also another scheme-diverse guy who could rotate with Odrick, Starks and others especially if we lose Langford.

Some Rookie Free Agents I would target:

Dane Simoneau - QB Washburn

Princeton McCarty - RB Idaho

Tyler Shoemaker - WR Boise State

Tim Fugger - DE/OLB Vanderbilt

Deshawn Shead - S Portland State

Laron Byrd - Miami

Nick Sukay - S Penn State

Bradley Sowell - OT Mississippi

Mudder1310
01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Interesting. I think a guy we could target late, like 5th or 6th rd, would be Cliff Harris. The guy is bit of a head case but has 1st or 2nd rd talent at DB and KR/PR.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Looks like a solid draft to me. I do have this feeling that Fleener ends up bottom of round 1, maybe to SF. Love DeCastro, but of course it depends on what happens in free agency. Miami needs to get two things for sure this offseason a franchise qb and a pass rusher. Those have to be the main targets. Osweiler in the 3rd would be interesting.

PSU Cane
01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Looks like a solid draft to me. I do have this feeling that Fleener ends up bottom of round 1, maybe to SF. Love DeCastro, but of course it depends on what happens in free agency. Miami needs to get two things for sure this offseason a franchise qb and a pass rusher. Those have to be the main targets. Osweiler in the 3rd would be interesting.

There is that chance on Fleener coming off the board before Miami picks in the 2nd, which i think is way too high....but if so, i think we immediately go WR or NT. I'm really swaying back and forth between OL and Upshaw in Round 1 but only if we stay as a 3-4. I really like Upshaw....good motor, leader, strong, scheme diverse....but don't think he's an elite pass rusher yet (but still good) b/c his getoff is only average, eventhough his hands and functional strength are incredible and he turns the corner with a good shoulder dip. He outmuscled a lot of guys in college that he won't be able to do every game in the NFL. If we go Upshaw Round 1 and don't get a FA guard, i go Kevin Zeitler in Round 2 b/c we need a guard.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
There is that chance on Fleener coming off the board before Miami picks in the 2nd, which i think is way too high....but if so, i think we immediately go WR or NT. I'm really swaying back and forth between OL and Upshaw in Round 1 but only if we stay as a 3-4. I really like Upshaw....good motor, leader, strong, scheme diverse....but don't think he's an elite pass rusher yet (but still good) b/c his getoff is only average, eventhough his hands and functional strength are incredible and he turns the corner with a good shoulder dip. He outmuscled a lot of guys in college that he won't be able to do every game in the NFL. If we go Upshaw Round 1 and don't get a FA guard, i go Kevin Zeitler in Round 2 b/c we need a guard.As much as I like DeCastro, Upshaw is a better scenario IMO. It's very tough to find pass rushers in free agency and I think Upshaw will get a lot of effort sacks as he truly is relentless. I like Fleener enough to trade up for him, but again that depends on what Miami does in free agency. If they can't get a qb like Matt Flynn, Ryan Tannehill is a possibility even as high as #8 or #9. I have seen Barron mocked to the Dolphins as well. What do you think of that?

PSU Cane
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
As much as I like DeCastro, Upshaw is a better scenario IMO. It's very tough to find pass rushers in free agency and I think Upshaw will get a lot of effort sacks as he truly is relentless. I like Fleener enough to trade up for him, but again that depends on what Miami does in free agency. If they can't get a qb like Matt Flynn, Ryan Tannehill is a possibility even as high as #8 or #9. I have seen Barron mocked to the Dolphins as well. What do you think of that?

I agree that it's harder to find pass rushers and most years this would be a non-debate except for that fact that 1) the new collective bargaining agreement doesn't pay as much so it's ok to go guard 2)the Phins line was AWFUL last year and 3) DeCastro is about as good as they come out of college.

Tannehill at 8 or 9 is way too high for me. I do like him and his upside, but he's so inexperienced and far away from contributing that taking him so high is a waste, not only in money but immediate help for the team. As for Barron, i do like him but we would have to trade down at least 10 spots to warrant his value and pick up a nice 2nd round pick for doing so.

finfan54
01-30-2012, 10:35 PM
I like Decastro but mine right now is:

1) Upshaw
2) Zeitler OG Wisconsin
3) Bobbi Massie OT Mississippi
4) Ledarious Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette

SCOTTY
01-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Osweiler with our 3rd is a wasted pick. Upshaw with 1 and go Oline in the 3rd.

BARF
01-31-2012, 12:42 AM
upshaw has to be our first pick, we really need another playmaker opposite of wake, and he could do the job, then i would say te in the 2nd and guard in the third, i am not worried with qb with this staff, look at what they did to a qb from lsu in the 7th round. worst case scenario our starting qb next year is matt moore i will be ok with that

BlueFin
01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Hate it....no drafting of a guard with a top ten pick.

jim1
01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm not much for Walter Football, but I found this interesting:

DeCastro is so dominant, he is worth a top-20 pick. The 6-foot-5, 310-pounder is an experienced starter who was a second-team All-American in 2010 and a first-team All-American this season. In 2010, Stanford averaged 213.8 rush yards per game with DeCastro paving the way at right guard. He was an overwhelming force for the Cardinal this year.

You could make a strong argument for DeCastro being one of the safest picks in this draft class. He is a powerful run blocker who is phenomenal at pulling and hitting blocks on the move. DeCastro is also very good at getting to the second level of the defense and blasting linebackers. He will be an asset in run blocking quickly in the NFL. Addtionally, there is no drawback with DeCastro as a pass blocker. He has a strong base and stonewalls bull rushes, including from larger defensive tackles.

DeCastro saw his best competition of 2011 when facing the University of Washington. Unfortunately, he rarely went against Huskies standout defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu, but when DeCastro did, he beat Ta'amu on every rep. Stanford ran for 446 yards against Washington. DeCastro also had good performances against USC, Oregon and Oklahoma State.

I'd pass on Osweiller, but if somehow possible, and I doubt it now that the cats are out of the bag, I'd go for

1. DeCastro

2. Weeden

3. Fleener

4. Joe Adams

Feasible a month ago- now, ain't gonna happen.

state06
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM

1) Upshaw
2) Zeitler OG Wisconsin
4) Ledarious Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette

I like this draft. I think Zeitler and Masie will both be avail 1 round later than you have them. if we cant get Fleener i would like to target Green

right now, if we did not trade down, i'd go Upshaw, Fleener, Zeitler in 3rd, Safety/OT in 4th

datruth55
01-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Ladarius Green is kinda small for a TE isn't he? 6'6" 237 lbs...Calvin Johnson is 6'5" 236 lbs. Marshall is 6'4" 230 lbs. Green is the size of a big WR without the speed. Can he block?

SF Dolphin Fan
01-31-2012, 11:56 AM

1) Upshaw
2) Zeitler OG Wisconsin
4) Ledarious Green TE Louisiana-LafayetteThis would be a really nice draft. I think Green moves up into the 3rd round, but other than that this is also a realistic draft.

j-off-her-doll
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd take DeCastro over any of the RT's people keep mocking to us. But I'd still prefer Richardson, Wright, Coples, or Upshaw.

#8/#9 is probably high for Wright, but I don't think it's too high.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I agree that it's harder to find pass rushers and most years this would be a non-debate except for that fact that 1) the new collective bargaining agreement doesn't pay as much so it's ok to go guard 2)the Phins line was AWFUL last year and 3) DeCastro is about as good as they come out of college.

Tannehill at 8 or 9 is way too high for me. I do like him and his upside, but he's so inexperienced and far away from contributing that taking him so high is a waste, not only in money but immediate help for the team. As for Barron, i do like him but we would have to trade down at least 10 spots to warrant his value and pick up a nice 2nd round pick for doing so.Yeah, I do think that's high for Ryan Tannehill. One thing for sure Sherman would know all about this kid, his work ethic, how he fits etc. With Matt Moore around, Tannehill could sit for a year which I think he needs. Definitely agree with you on DeCastro's skills. He would really make this offensive line something special.

normaniii
01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Firstly sign Matt Flynn. I big believe in competition making the starter better, no matter who it is.

1 - Riley Reiff OT - To me a no brainer. BPA and fills our weakest spot.
2 - Andre Branch DE - Much like the Giants, I believe Philbin & Coyle want an aggressive pass rush.
3 - Leonard Johnson CB - reminds me of TJ Ward, but more adept to play FS.
4 - Ladarius Green TE - Raw matchup nightmare, who IMO would be perfect as a complement to Fasano.

normaniii
01-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Ladarius Green is kinda small for a TE isn't he? 6'6" 237 lbs...Calvin Johnson is 6'5" 236 lbs. Marshall is 6'4" 230 lbs. Green is the size of a big WR without the speed. Can he block?

Not really.........but neither do Hernandez and Jimmy Graham very well.

Drubatuba
01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Good safe picks. I hope we go all in though and make a big splash in the draft. But I hope for that every year and I am continuously let down... :boohoo:

datruth55
01-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Not really.........but neither do Hernandez and Jimmy Graham very well.
Jimmy's a better blocker than you might think, Hernandez I would say is a willing blocker but he's the #2 TE and so he doesn't stay in and block much in that offense. Normally the RB stays in for pass protection while Hernandez and Gronkowski run pass paterns. Hernandez doesn't have to block much.

I think we have Fasano under contract for one more year so if we're looking at Green to be his replacement he needs to block.