PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland scouted Baylor QB Robert Griffin III in person at the Alamo

broccoli rob
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland scouted Baylor QB Robert Griffin III in person at the Alamo Bowl.

A Baylor alum, Ireland also attended a Bears practice in the run up to their 67-56 win over Washington. Barring the acquisition of free agent Matt Flynn, the Dolphins figure to aggressively pursue the Rams' No. 2 overall pick in hopes of landing the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner.

Not a revelation, just further reassurance that RG3 is a possibility. Even if we can't get the No.2 pick, the No.3 should get us RG3...

NY8123
01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
If he didn't he should get fired. It is his job to scout top round talent.

Miamifinz
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
If you really think this is the guy that can lead us back to the promised land, get him no matter what the cost. "If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for ordinary."

insomnia411
01-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Make it happen

DeathStar
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
If he didn't he should get fired. It is his job to scout top round talent.

This.

Spesh
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Wouldnt read to much into this. There isnt many available quarterbacks, its our teams biggest need, so of course he is showing up in person to check them out.

Jeep
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
WOOOHOOOO! I'm SOOOOOOO excited... not!

Aqua and Orange
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Every time I see the Dolphins pursuing an avenue at QB that isn't Peyton Manning I get giddy. REALLY don't want us stuck with an injured Manning.

Hayden Fox
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
There are more players on the Baylor roster than RGIII to scout.

J. David Wannyheimer
01-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Glad Ireland knows he needs to get a QB and is scouting the top prospects.

That said, every single piece of news I have seen thus far screams smokescreen. Miami is apparently targeting everyone BUT Matt Flynn? Okay, yeah, we know how this one goes.

andyahs
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM

That said, every single piece of news I have seen thus far screams smokescreen. Miami is apparently targeting everyone BUT Matt Flynn? Okay, yeah, we know how this one goes.

Can't target Flynn until FA begins right?

datruth55
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
What if Ireland didn't like what he saw? Are we assuming because the media hype around RGIII is so big that Ireland automatically likes the guy?

insomnia411
01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
There are more players on the Baylor roster than RGIII to scout.

God imagine there was a way for us to get RG3 AND Kendall Wright?? Eh, we'll just get Desean Jackson in fa instead.

Scotty P
01-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Im ok with us trading up and giving up 2 first rounds for this kid......even a conditional 2nd rounder. Im not 1000% sure he will be a great NFL QB, but he has huge potential. He could change the dynamics of the entire team......

cuban_refugee
01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Every time I see the Dolphins pursuing an avenue at QB that isn't Peyton Manning I get giddy. REALLY don't want us stuck with an injured Manning.

Don't worry about it....I'm pretty there is less than 25% chance Manning plays again.

cuban_refugee
01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
God imagine there was a way for us to get RG3 AND Kendall Wright?? Eh, we'll just get Desean Jackson in fa instead.

Desean Jackson and Brandon Marshall as our primary WR duo?! Wow, sounds great on paper. I would just be concerned that their two personalities may be too much for one locker room.

Thumper1016
01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
IMO I dont see us giving up all the compensation it is going to take to get this kid. But if he does pull it off he will either be the goat or hero for making this move.

Fish-Head
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
IMO I dont see us giving up all the compensation it is going to take to get this kid. But if he does pull it off he will either be the goat or hero for making this move.

Those are precisely the moves that Ireland would NEVER make.

traptses
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Anyone who doubts this kid could be a successful starting QB clearly hasn't watched too much of him

finfan54
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
trade b marshall and next years first along with our first this year and our 2nd rounder. its a deal. marshall gets his franchise qb in bradford.

PALMA
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Ireland personally scouting Qb's terrifies me... anybody else remember Ireland's personal scouting of the great Pat White?!

And Ireland somehow came away convinced that White was worth a second rounder? Pass on Griffin and his gimmicks.

GoonBoss
01-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Ireland personally scouting Qb's terrifies me... anybody else remember Ireland's personal scouting of the great Pat White?!

And Ireland somehow came away convinced that White was worth a second rounder? Pass on Griffin and his gimmicks.

I am not convinced Pat White was an Ireland choice though. I think that was more Tuna.

dlockz
01-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Some will tell you he just sat around and did nothing while Parcells was here all the good picks were his all the bad picks parcells I tend to agree Parcells went on Irelands scouting of White

dlockz
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
I am not convinced Pat White was an Ireland choice though. I think that was more Tuna.

Thats all we may ever do is speculate because no evidence will ever be submitted lol

GoonBoss
01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I love RGIII. Big fan. He played for CCHS as a matter of fact. I don't think there is any realistic chance of us getting him.

GoonBoss
01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Thats all we may ever do is speculate because no evidence will ever be submitted lol

It's easier to make snarky comments that way.

Vertical Limit
01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I rather have RG III than Flynn or Manning. Kid is in an amazing shape, no major injury history, is accurate, is mobile, has a high IQ. If someone as dumb as McNabb can excel in the WCO I think RG III will do even better.

finfan54
01-30-2012, 09:54 PM

tuna drafted in twos by position. notice when that stopped?

dlockz
01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
tuna drafted in twos by position. notice when that stopped?

never drafted 2 qbs. still not proof of anything

finfan54
01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
never drafted 2 qbs. still not proof of anything

No, but he did get Pennington while drafting Henne. ignorance.

finfan54
01-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I love RGIII. Big fan. He played for CCHS as a matter of fact. I don't think there is any realistic chance of us getting him.

dont say that to mike ditka....goin golfin!

GoonBoss
01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
dont say that to mike ditka....goin golfin!

I'm not entirely sure what that means.

twohype
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
If you really think this is the guy that can lead us back to the promised land, get him no matter what the cost. "If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for ordinary."

Well said and right on target......now can we get the deal done :-)

dlockz
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
No, but he did get Pennington while drafting Henne. ignorance.

Ignorance is what we both have on the subject all we can do is speculate and you did say draft in pairs. Nobody knows what Ireland thought of these guys on this board so nobody
s guess on the subject is any more educated than the other. Now it would be ignorant to think either of us know exactly what Ireland thought of White because we have never seen a report from him

GoonBoss
01-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I rather have RG III than Flynn or Manning. Kid is in an amazing shape, no major injury history, is accurate, is mobile, has a high IQ. If someone as dumb as McNabb can excel in the WCO I think RG III will do even better.

I seriously cannot that kid went to Baylor.

It was a shock to most of us here locally. Looking back, it's not that much of a shock. Baylor was a small pond, but guess what? Baylor isn't a small pond now. CCHS is a major recruiting pipeline and getting local kids to stay local is a real important stroke for Baylor that couldn't have happened without RGIII. Now, I promise you this guy isn't a saint. He's been in his share of scrapes that you won't hear about, but he's definitly "Light turned on" guy.

He can grasp any offensive system you want to throw at him.

mfish41
01-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Tore his ACL

mfish41
01-30-2012, 10:51 PM

I dont understand this smokescreen concept. Bluffing by scouting RGIII is going to affect other teams' plans for Matt Flynn in what manner? Teams are evaluating just like the Fins and they are going to make their move for the guy they want regardless of what we look like we're going to do.

NYPhin24
01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
I dont understand this smokescreen concept. Bluffing by scouting RGIII is going to affect other teams' plans for Matt Flynn in what manner? Teams are evaluating just like the Fins and they are going to make their move for the guy they want regardless of what we look like we're going to do.

Plus like another poster said, Free Agency has not started and teams can not talk to other teams players or they will risk tampering and losing a draft pick i believe, therefore no crappy Dolphins beat writer can write articles on Flynn to Miami because there have been no talks or meetings between the 2 due to the tampering policy, as soon as FA starts, it will be the furthest thing from no mention of the Dolphins talking with Flynn

jason_taylor
02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
trade b marshall and next years first along with our first this year and our 2nd rounder. its a deal. marshall gets his franchise qb in bradford.

WOW .. i just dont think i would give that much for the 2nd best QB in the draft this year, i think i would do both our 1st rounders and a 2nd but not throwing Marshall into the mix not unless we kept the 2nd rounder .maybe our 1st this year and next and marshall but thats enough for that pick , were NOT talking Luck we are talking RG3.

jason_taylor
02-01-2012, 10:46 PM

True..