PDA

View Full Version : Mock1: Pre-Combine

DKphin
01-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Rd1:
Courtney Upshaw Alabama 6-2 273

A physically imposing put together linebacker/defensive end hybrid who will stand up and play with his hand on the ground. Displays only average straight-line speed when asked to close from the backside. However, is quicker/more coordinated than fast in tight areas and gets up to speed quickly. Generates a lot of natural power on contact as a tackler. Is long armed, has a snap through his hips into contact and consistently exhibits the power to strike and wrap off his frame. Reads and reacts well in space, deciphers information quickly and doesn't take many false steps trying to find the ball.
He doesn't get much depth in his drop vs. the pass game. Is coordinated and keeps his feet under him, but is tighter in the hips and isn't going to hold up at the next level in space or man consistently.
Is extremely violent/powerful with his hands when attacking downhill. Consistently is able to take on blocks, disengage and make his way toward the football vs. both the run and pass game. Is at his best as a pass rusher standing up. Looks more sudden/shifty laterally off the ball from a two point stance and can win with power on his bull rush, with his hands or side step a block and fight through contact. Plays down in most nickel situations and when run at has the power to anchor at the point vs. SEC offensive tackles. Is violent/coordinated when asked to shed, has a good motor and can disengage consistently and make plays off his frame. Isn't as natural a pass rusher with his hand down at this stage. Is a bit inconsistent getting off the snap on time and is more of a power player only. Does a nice job sitting into his stance, keeping his base down off the football and generating leverage for himself vs. the bull rush. But doesn't do a great job suddenly changing directions and shedding when engaged. Loves to work the club/rip when trying to reach the corner both when down and standing up, can keep himself clean and works hard to close, but again displays only an average burst in pursuit.
Impression: I like him as a 34 outside backer who can play on the strong side, take on linemen at the point and also rush the passer. He's at his best attacking downhill, using his strong hands to disengage and always is around the football. Looks like a year one starter to me at the next level with scheme versatility and impact potential.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&position=olb (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_rankings.html&position=olb)

Rd2:
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M 6-4 222

May be the biggest project of all the guys mentioned, but that doesn't mean he hasn't produced. He has spent time at the wide receiver position at the college level, which has stunted his development as a passer. The positive though, is that it displays his natural athletic ability. He has good size for the QB spot, but is a great athlete for the position, and has the ability to make a lot of plays when things break down, or on designed plays outside the pocket. The arm strength is there, the natural passing skills are there when he's got the time to set up and deliver the football. What isn't there is the experience at the college level that other top prospects have. He lacks the game experience to truly command an offense and go through his progressions as a QB. He will need time to further develop the fundamentals of the positions, but the physical tools and work ethic are there, along with the early success he's had at the position. He is a work in progress, but has been very impressive and could really pay off for teams that have the luxury of giving him time to develop at the pro level.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/prospects/qb.htm

Rd3:
Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin 6-4 312

Wisconsin continues to produce top level offensive line prospects. This year Kevin Zeitler and Ricky Wagner (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/48828/ricky-wagner) will be making a push up the draft board. They are hoping to follow the foot steps of former teammates Gabe Carimi (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/7554/gabe-carimi) and John Moffitt (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/7559/john-moffitt). Kevin Zeitler is a good looking guard prospect and looks better than former teammate John Moffitt (2011 3rd round pick). Zeitler is an above average pass protector and run blocker. He does a good job keeping his pad level low and maintaing leverage throughout the play. His best attribute is his ability to lock on and control the defender. Zeitler's velcro ability makes it tough for defenders to disengage and pursue the football. He does a good job of creating a push in the running game. Zeitler also shows the foot speed necessary to mirror pass rushers.
The concerns surrounding Zeitler are minimual but some do exist. He needs to work very hard at maintaining leverage and inside hand position. Zeitler doesn't appear strong enough to make up for mistakes with his technique. At times, Zeitler will get his arms fully extended which impacts his balance and velcro ability.
Overall, Zeitler is a player that you can win with as a starter on your team. He is able to both protect the passer and open running lanes. Zeitler may not be as exciting as other prospects but he is solid and should be selected no later than the 3rd round.
Bold statement: Zeitler will be drafted no later than the 3rd round
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...prospect-notes (http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/8/11/2355056/kevin-zeitler-2012-nfl-draft-prospect-notes)

Rd4:
Brian Quick Applachain St. 6-3.5 215

This former high school basketball star is a raw, but extraordinarily gifted physical specimen blessed with deep speed, superior leaping prowess and soft hands to haul in off-target passes with relative ease. His size makes him a huge presence in the red zone and Quick uses his frame to his advantage by shielding defensive backs from the football. The South Carolina native has enough natural strength to bowl over would-be tacklers in congested spaces and isn’t one to go down easily. Quick can also hold his own as a downfield blocker. Running sharper routes is the area where he can improve himself the most.
2011 Preseason Scout's Take:Quick is a physical gifted wide receiver standing at 6-4 210 pounds. He has great ball skills and can just go over the cornerback and pluck the football out of the air. The question is going to be his long speed as he needs to improve on his route running, but is someone to watch for sure.
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players...ian-Quick.html

Rd5:
Bobby Massie Mississippi 6-6 324

Great Blue North's Colin Lindsay on Bobby Massie:
(http://www.gbnreport.com/2012otprofiles.html)
"Plays RT for Ole Miss but has the size and athleticism to figure as a LT at the next level; actually originally signed with Virginia Tech and was heavily recruited by Alabama but opted to go to Ole Miss where he started from day one;

Has excellent size with long arms and quick feet; gets decent knee bend with good balance, but needs to concentrate on keeping pads low; can also change direction and can cut off the edge, solid drive blocker who finishes off block."
http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.co...g-reports.html (http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2011/09/bobby-massie-scouting-reports.html)

Rd6:
Winston Guy Kentucky 6-1 210

Pros:
Very Durable
Explosive Tackler
Consistently wraps up
Improved Coverage every season
3 Year Starter
Played elite competition
Great Size
Great Speed
Attacks line of scrimmage to get TFL
Good special teams ability (coverages, and some return ability)
Good instincts

Cons:
Does not have great recovery speed
Can over pursue on misdirection plays
Does not make a ton of interceptions
Plays the ball better in front of him (especially the run game)
Player Comparison: Bob Sanders
Round Projection: Early third Round
Summary:
If you love football it is almost impossible not to love this kid. He has good size; he played in the SEC, played on a team devoid of talent, makes numerous tackles, and is solid in coverage. Many might say why a third round grade than? Playing onKentuckyand not having a ton of interceptions will push him down the draft board. Fear not though, I think some team will get a huge steal and when it is all said and done I believe he will be the best safety from this class. Teams that will use him in the box will have the best success with him due to his ability to attack behind the line of scrimmage. Teams like Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles, and Panthers.
http://nflmocks.com/2011/11/12/2012-...r-ss-kentucky/ (http://nflmocks.com/2011/11/12/2012-scouting-report-winston-guy-jr-ss-kentucky/)

Rd7:
Bobby Rainey Western Kentucky 5-7 205

National FootBall Post's Wes Bunting on Bobby Rainey:
(http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_scouting_reports.html&position=rb&startrow=10)"He's an undersized back who is listed at 5-7, 205, but I don't think he's a 205-pound back. He possesses a compact frame with natural girth through the calves and lower half. However, he doesn't run as strong as a 205-pound back should and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear he's really in the 190-pound range come Combine time.
Rainey exhibits a good natural burst when asked to press the line of scrimmage, is patient inside and has a good feel of setting up his blocks in a pro style type run game. He displays good balance and short area quickness in order to create for himself inside and demonstrates a good burst on the edge when asked to get up to speed quickly.
In addition, he accelerates extremely well toward the corner when he doesn't have to run through contact.
He is quicker than fast with a "plus" first step, but isn't an out and out burner once he gets going. He looks like a mid/high 4.4 guy who will get caught from behind vs. better competition.
And despite his impressive short area quickness, balance and burst, he seems to lack the same initial explosion in order to separate inside when fighting through any kind of contact.
He lacks ideal power, doesn't create much when he has to fight for additional yardage and his initial burst is limited once he slips a tackle because he is routinely slowed through contact. When Rainey can press the hole quickly without much contact, he gets into the second level instantly.
However, he doesn't have the same type of explosion when trying to run through would-be tackles or any kind of contact inside because of his lacking ideal size/power. He does catch the football well out of the backfield and looks natural snapping his head around, squaring up a defender and making a man miss.
Impression: I think he could get some looks as a situational type back who can be used in space effectively at times. However, despite his production, I think at best he's a later round pick who is going to have a find a niche early on where he can make plays and be dynamic if he hopes to stick on an NFL roster. My guess would be either as a return guy, a situational guy in the pass game or even on kick coverage."

Pro FootBall Weekly on Bobby Rainey:
(http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/bobby-rainey-3/)

"Short, highly productive, tight-hipped mid-major back who popped some big runs against top competition.

However, he has below-average foot speed, is not equipped to move the chains inside, and struggles as a receiver and blocker."

Great Blue North's Colin Lindsay on Bobby Rainey:
(http://www.gbnreport.com/2012rbprofiles.html)
"Underrated back who blew up for 1,650 yards and 15 TDs last fall; also didn’t pick his spots rushing for 155 against Nebraska;
Stocky player with a low center of gravity who ‘isn’t small, just short’; workhorse carried the ball 340 times last fall without any noticeable drop-off in production, although he has had issues with a shoulder in the past; has good speed, but is still more quick than fast as he lacks real explosion;
Also isn’t that elusive in the open field, but does have good vision and makes decisive cuts in the hole; was also a dynamic kick returner earlier in his career; slightly older player will turn 25 early in his first year as a pro."
http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.co...g-reports.html (http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2011/9/bobby-rainey-scouting-reports.html)

The Confessor
01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
I prefer Weeden to Tannehill, but if Philbin believe in either of those kids, and they fall to us in the 2nd, I'm happy as a pig in poop.

Wonder if Quick has the frame to add...ohhhhh 20+ lbs? That is what we really really need is a seam buster.

IF we were able to get Upshaw, Weeden/Tannehill, Zeitler and then Rainey (I think the kid is gonna be a true game changer much like Darren Sproles) then its a fabulous fabulous Dolphin draft!!!!

I do have to admit, I have been very high on Zeitler all season, but I really studied him in the Rose Bowl, and I noticed he plays off balance too often. I also saw him whiff on a handful of blocks at the second level...that being said, he was getting himself in position very nicely at the second level to make said block, and that's against very athletic LBers with Oregon.
I think these are things that can easily be coached, and the kid can absolutely MAUL at the POC. I imagine, that game alone, might have him still there in the 3rd when we pick.

BlueFin
01-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Um.....lets not forget....our head coach just spent a lot of time coaching Flynn.....our OC (Sherman) just coached Tannehill for a few years....we have a great perspective on both guys. I believe Tannehill will rise up the boards the closer we get to the draft and having Sherman here is a good thing in evaluating how highly to take him.

jim1
01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
I could easily see Bobby Massie playing RT for us, maybe him or Brandon Mosely if they last until the 4th rd, you never know. It'sstill all a jumble between, Carey, Murtha and Jerry- I view Garner as a backup at this point.

luduporcu
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
I could easily see Bobby Massie playing RT for us, maybe him or Brandon Mosely if they last until the 4th rd, you never know. It'sstill all a jumble between, Carey, Murtha and Jerry- I view Garner as a backup at this point.

I like MASSEY too, jim. But I see no problem w/CAREY-MURTHA-JERRY-GARNER. Here's why:

(1) CAREY--he played RG last season, after being MIAMI's RT for so long. I guess it took some time for him to get used to it. But i/m/o, he played well after a while. NOT surprising. I remember him from "The U"!!! Did you know that he played G there for a season? Guess what? He was VERY GOOD playing G!!!

(2) MURTHA--He struggled at first: it was noticeable. But he improved a lot: THAT was noticeable, too. The "light" really went on for him vs DETROIT, who had a solid OL. He was at RT that game, and MIAMI had a feast going over the right side! He suffered a mild concussion, and was held out of the finale vs N.E.. And this past season, he got hurt early. A shame: I would've liked to have seen more of his play, because he seemed to have "arrived" against SUH and friends. Time will tell but there's plenty of reason to be hopeful. He HAS the "tools".

(3) JERRY--had been a mystery. WHY, w/the "tools" he obviously had, was he still just a prospect? ...at best!!! Well, he began to show a lot more in the latter part of this past season...including doing VERY nice work filling in for LONG at RT. Go figure. Better yet, just rejoice. Because if JERRY has also "arrived", then we all may owe Coach SPARANO an apology, becauseMIAMI's O-Line may ALREADY be very, VERY solid, considering we haven't even discussed GARNER yet. Well,...

(4) GARNER--made the team as a back-up RT to CAREY. Shifted to G out of necessity (injuries), and played LG and RG well. On literally 2 Minutes' notice, played C for us when both J BERGER and J GROVE went down in the 1st Half of the same game. Remember what happened? First snap--fumbled. After that--PERFECT in every way, including calling out blocking assignments. This young man is reportedly some sort of a genius. I don't doubt it! As the world's most competent back-up, he can back-up EVERY O-LINE POSTITION except LT, and we have MURTHA/JERRY for that!

You can't talk about the Draft w/o talking about F/A as well. Any PLAN must encompass BOTH. As to MIAMI specifically, MIAMI had $9 Million in unused caproom last season. And the "cap" is going up this season! Moreover, there's BELL, who costs $6.2 Million and can't cover his rump anymore; and of course, COLUMBO. Just by cutting those 2, MIAMI will have c. $7 Million more in capspace. And there are others, both cuts and restructuring--sometimes, simple restructuring! E.G., SOLIAI! MIAMI paid him $12 Million as its "franchise" player. ALL he seems to want is fair compensation w/security. He has become one of the best NTs in football and could probably be TIM BOWENS-like in any 4-3. SO, WHY NOT PAY HIM FAIRLY? V WILFORK got a $40 Million/5 Year deal, w/a signing bonus of $18 Million, and $25 Million guaranteed. That seems to break down yearly to $3.6 Million/year from the apportionment of the signing bonus; and $4.4 Million/year in straight salary, for a total "cap" number of $8 Million. Everything seems to go UP. SO, what if MIAMI offered SOLIAI a similar set-up? Say, a 5 Year deal, w/a $20 Million signing bonus, and $30 Million in straight salary for 5 years, w/say, $30 Million guaranteed? The yearly portion of the "signing bonus" would be $4 Million, and the yearly straight salary would be $6 Million. The "guarantee" adds 0.00 to the cap hit: it's just "insurance" for SOLIAI. So, what would MIAMI get for the money? A very talented, "happy camper" at NT, locked up for the next 5 years, and a "cap" saving from last season of $2 Million. With just the above 2 cuts and 1 restructure, MIAMI saves c. $9 Million in capspace, plus the $9 Million mentioned above, plus whatever the "cap" goes up by THIS year.

My point is simply that an ACTIVE F/A is possible...and it impacts MIAMI's Draft. Here's what I'd do in F/A:

(1) MEACHEM--Is a fast, solid, veteran WR, who I'd go after BIGTIME. He would make trading up to get BLACKMON (which is my "plan B" for a fast #2 WR) not necessary.

(2) A SOLID G--a couple were mentioned. (GRUBBS? Whoever!) GET ONE, and stop bellyacheing about the cost! There were at least 5 TOP Gs in F/A last season (including GALLERY, COLLEDGE, and BOTH of ATLANTA's starting Gs, and 1 more whose name I've forgotten). And a couple more when the late cuts were made: "aging veterans" who "still had some gas in the tank", and who still wanted to play football. HOW MANY did MIAMI seriously go after? NONE!!! Stupid ROSS got cheap (I believe). Remember what happened? MIAMI rummaged thru DALLAS's garbage can after ALL the talented interior OLmen were gone, and came up with...COLUMBO!! So, CAREY had to move to RG, where he hadn't played since "The U", so that COLUMBO could play RT. The results? Predictable!!! COLUMBO, alone/almost alone, cost MIAMI at least 5 GAMES, probably 6! THAT would've meant the PLAYOFFS!!!

Maybe after he (wrongly) fired SPARANO (scapegoat) for last year's failure, he should have fired HIMSELF. In any event, ROSS should not make the same mistake twice: that really WOULD be dumb.

(3) A FS--CLEMMONS isn't ready, and R JONES should be a SS. So, replace BELL w/R JONES, and pursue a pretty good FS who just happened to play for our new DC last season,

(4) QUARTERBACK--I would NOT move up to RGIII. I would be careful about P MANNING, although if he's healthy and ready, that's another story. I would draft either TANNEHILL or WEEDEN (in that order) in Round 2, if either fell that far. And I wouldn't let WEEDEN's age deter me for a minute. Why? ROGER STAUBACK, WARREN MOON, etc. As to FLYNN, he does NOT have adequate credentials, i/m/o. The ONE THING that could change that, for me, is for Coach PHILBIN to give FLYNN the STRONGEST of testimonials. His endorsement of FLYNN MUST be one of the strongest EVER, or it's "no go". FLYNN would cost A LOT of money, but THAT isn't the biggest factor, at all. Because w/just the 2 cuts and 1 restructure mentioned above, I figure that MIAMI would have over $20 Million in caproom. And there's more cuts possible, and more restructures possible as well.

So, everything above is doable, w/reference to the "cap". AS TO THE DRAFT, I'd draft T RICHARDSON in the 1st. Because the way things stand now, IF R BUSH goes down or even gets "dinged", MIAMI's running game is crapola. The only way I'd do it in a different way is if we didn't get MEACHEM. In THAT event, I'd try to move up to #4, to get BLACKMON.

j-off-her-doll
01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Some good thoughts, but why trade up for Blackmon, when you can just draft Wright - who would be a more natural compliment to Marshall and a better deep threat anyway?

Also, I like Richardson in the 1st.

ticophin
01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey luduporcu, like your plan, seriously, but no mention of our biggest hole, pass rush??

Fin Thirteen
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
DK,

Don't think Tannehill will fall to us in the second. The shrine game and senior bowl have shown how big the dropoff from Luck and RG3 is, so Tannehill's injury might well turn out to be a blessing in disguise for him. He won't go top 10, but I could see top 20.

Brian Quick measured 6'3.5 " at the senior bowl. I think that drops his stock a bit, though I think he showed up quite well from what I read. Ledarius Green TE instead??

Upshaw is a nice pick, though Coples might be a higher upside pick if a bit riskier.

tay0365
01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Um.....lets not forget....our head coach just spent a lot of time coaching Flynn.....our OC (Sherman) just coached Tannehill for a few years....we have a great perspective on both guys. I believe Tannehill will rise up the boards the closer we get to the draft and having Sherman here is a good thing in evaluating how highly to take him.

I agree, It will be a great advantage to us to have two coaches that worked with two QBs that will be on our radar. We will not be taking Tannehill if we took Flynn, but I do believe if we got Manning, then there is a good chance that we might bring in Tannehill.

Tannehill will need time to learn the position in the NFL, and he could learn a lot from Manning if he is healthy, but it will be up to what Shermen says. Also I really don't think Tannehill will even sniff the 2nd round, so if someone wants him, they will have to use a mid 1st round pick on him....depending how he looks in the combines.

tay0365
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Some good thoughts, but why trade up for Blackmon, when you can just draft Wright - who would be a more natural compliment to Marshall and a better deep threat anyway?

Also, I like Richardson in the 1st.

Wright would be awesome, I would want to take him in the 2nd round, but with the way certain player move up very fast after the combine, I just don't know if he could get him.

If we could get Tannehill in the 1st n(After trading back), and Wright in the 2nd, I would be very happy, even though I know Tannehill would not be a starter for at least a year.

DKphin
01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
DK,

Don't think Tannehill will fall to us in the second. The shrine game and senior bowl have shown how big the dropoff from Luck and RG3 is, so Tannehill's injury might well turn out to be a blessing in disguise for him. He won't go top 10, but I could see top 20.

Brian Quick measured 6'3.5 " at the senior bowl. I think that drops his stock a bit, though I think he showed up quite well from what I read. Ledarius Green TE instead??

Upshaw is a nice pick, though Coples might be a higher upside pick if a bit riskier.Yeah, I got this from an earlier post I had put out before we got the measurements from the bowls. It is changed. Thanx